Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732884 times)

Vince, RolandK, flash2b and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117125 on: April 06, 2022, 07:01:49 am »
argl.
Trip to Reichelt 2 days ago, pulled a portable Scopemeter, but alas it is not booting.
did take a bloody zbox PC along, should not have done it, but, ...

and did have a water leak in the house with the flat that I just sold.
I'm still responsible for that, as I still carry the risk until transfer of ownership is complete.

FML ...
 |O |O |O

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117126 on: April 06, 2022, 08:00:23 am »
The Tek AWG510 Arbitrary Waveform Generator turned up today, it boots ok so far.
I'll update the software tonight and have a play with it. Might stick a couple CF cards in to replace the clockwork disk and the MASSIVE 10Mb (yes, 10 Megabyte.....) SSD for more and faster storage.

I'll keep this one until a higher spec unit (like a 600 or maybe a 700 series unit) pops up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:07:25 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117127 on: April 06, 2022, 08:11:31 am »

Around these parts that's considered a "starter" set. I have 12 Flukes. 3 are frequency counters, the balance DMM's. 25 pieces of Tektronix gear and that doesn't include plug-in units. I'm a little light on hp gear. Only 4. I need to step up my game here.

So yes, you don't have a problem.  ;D

It’s only been a few months and it was winter time which is kinda lean for me. I have a side gig where I can make a bunch of mad money from spring to late fall. The pile will grow.

Well don't be a stranger. We're always interested in new members and their gear and purchases.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: RoadDog

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #117128 on: April 06, 2022, 08:39:11 am »
argl.
Trip to Reichelt 2 days ago, pulled a portable Scopemeter, but alas it is not booting.
did take a bloody zbox PC along, should not have done it, but, ...

and did have a water leak in the house with the flat that I just sold.
I'm still responsible for that, as I still carry the risk until transfer of ownership is complete.

FML ...
 |O |O |O

Which one? I have some experience.  8)

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117129 on: April 06, 2022, 08:45:29 am »
Tried to find the analog remote control connector fitting into the 7-Pin socket on the right side of the large output connector.
The manuals seem to give no spec or source.

Any hint is welcome.
Same for the 4pin digital connector above.

Looks like Phoenix Contact MSTB series connectors.

Yeah, deffo Phoenix Contact. I'm not going to confirm or deny your suggested part numbers because digging through PC's website/catalogues gives me headaches.

I will however suggest finding the HP service manual for it because sometimes you get lucky and they have a real manufacturer's part number as well as the internal HP part number.

We have the same series psu at work, I had the service manual available from keysights website, to hand. It only shows a HP part number no manufacturer p/n, so the RS or phoenix part is an educated guess

Thx for the input. Yes I checked all the manuals and there is no info about the original part.
I found an even cheaper source. Anyhow, it will be <20 Euros incl. shipment for some of these. I will just give it a try and come back. Will take some time, as I will wait for the shopping list to get longer. :-)

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117130 on: April 06, 2022, 08:46:55 am »
So I must replace them. Tempco wise, should not be a problem, as schematic reads 1,050 ppm... which is... atrociously crap ?! :-//

1,000ppm when any cheap metal film is 50ppm ? I guess in th '60s 1,000ppm was good, and the Allen Bradley carbon composition were even worse ?...

In the 1k-10k \$\Omega\$ value range even the old carbon composition resistors didn't have temperature coefficients that bad. However, higher value composition resistors >100k did have temperature coefficients of that order.

It could be that these resistors are specified as having a certain temperature coefficient as part of a temperature compensation scheme. The fact the designer took the trouble to annotate the temperature coefficient on the schematic indicates that it was considered a critical parameter and not just a side effect of using cheap resistors.

Hmmm OK. So they are not low tempco... they are custom tuned tempco, it's much worse... that means I will never be able to buy / find suitable replacements !  |O

So I would have to design a complete new replacement board to produce that 4.000V Vref  :palm:

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117131 on: April 06, 2022, 08:48:10 am »
So I must replace them. Tempco wise, should not be a problem, as schematic reads 1,050 ppm... which is... atrociously crap ?! :-//

1,000ppm when any cheap metal film is 50ppm ? I guess in th '60s 1,000ppm was good, and the Allen Bradley carbon composition were even worse ?...

In the 1k-10k \$\Omega\$ value range even the old carbon composition resistors didn't have temperature coefficients that bad. However, higher value composition resistors >100k did have temperature coefficients of that order.

It could be that these resistors are specified as having a certain temperature coefficient as part of a temperature compensation scheme. The fact the designer took the trouble to annotate the temperature coefficient on the schematic indicates that it was considered a critical parameter and not just a side effect of using cheap resistors.

Hmmm OK. So they are not low tempco... they are custom tuned tempco, it's much worse... that means I will never be able to buy / find suitable replacements !  |O

So I would have to design a complete new replacement board to produce that 4.000V Vref  :palm:

LM317...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #117132 on: April 06, 2022, 08:59:16 am »
I remember having seen a circuit somewhere
for a variable tempco resistance.
Cannot find it at this moment. :palm:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117133 on: April 06, 2022, 09:00:45 am »
I remember having seen a circuit somewhere
for a variable tempco resistance.
Cannot find it at this moment. :palm:

Wow, that's an interesting concept ! I am curious to see that... maybe with some Googling...

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117134 on: April 06, 2022, 09:01:26 am »

LM317...  :-DD

So much for the tempco !  :scared:

I guess a modern adjustable Zener diode, a mid-range Vref chip ... accuracy is irrelevant as it will be trimmed/adjusted anyway. Only the tempco is relevant I think...

Zero experience designing that kind of stuff.. I guess now is the time  :-//

EDIT : Oh, that must have been sarcasm on your part for sure, sorry ....  :-//
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:06:29 am by Vince »

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #117135 on: April 06, 2022, 09:06:33 am »
Maybe this is a starting point::
https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/components/article/21764866/whats-all-this-tempco-stuff-anyhow

A bit more here, for the sake of completness: simply search for
"Dial-a-Tempco Exponential Converter"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 07:01:25 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117136 on: April 06, 2022, 09:15:59 am »

>:D  :P

Yeah, an LM317 would give you 4V, but the stability would be questionable. :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #117137 on: April 06, 2022, 09:55:19 am »

a LM399 on the other hand¹ ...

>:D :-DD

¹together with a high precision and stable resistor divider network
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117138 on: April 06, 2022, 10:06:29 am »

Don't laugh. An LM317 might get you real close with a precision divider and a 10 turn trim pot to set the voltage. Yea, stability might be an issue until it warms up and settles. Might be worth a try. Would be cheap and easy. 

Edit...or how about a high stability LM723?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117139 on: April 06, 2022, 10:08:32 am »
Would get the meter working for a couple dollars at least, and if it does prove to be stable enough with the limited number of digits and all, well, there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix that works. :D

I vote to try it for the fun of it.  :-/O
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 10:12:59 am by TERRA Operative »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #117140 on: April 06, 2022, 10:28:03 am »

Don't laugh. An LM317 might get you real close with a precision divider and a 10 turn trim pot to set the voltage. Yea, stability might be an issue until it warms up and settles. Might be worth a try. Would be cheap and easy. 

Cue my first project with the multiturn pots and knobs...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117141 on: April 06, 2022, 10:30:28 am »
OK I have made up my mind.

Trying to recreate a resistor with the same weird tempco is too difficult to get right. I would never be sure that it restored proper operation of the original design, because I am not competent enough.

I think it's easier to start from a blank sheet and do an entire new replacement board with a modern Vref. This way I control everything, use known parts with knows specs, available datasheet etc.
It's also a marvelous excuse/opportunity to do a little bit of design, use a Vref which I have never done before, and of course give me some more training on Kicad, which I need. Every opportunity to do design little boards on Kicad is good to take here. Plus, it will look cleaner/tidy once done, that trying to Frankenstein the old board.
Plus, I find it cool to go the extra mile and design custom stuff to save an old TE. It's my way of showing it some love and respect...

So... new board it will be, with a "modern" little Vref chip.  Don't know much about them... luckily Dave Jones recently did a video on these : "Jelly bean Vref ".

While this is being sorted out, I can get the meter going as you said with any cheap and dirty solution. Hell I could simply replace these two resistors with regular modern carbon resistor and call it a day, should "work". Bye bye tempco, but at least it would allow that board to produce a voltage of appropriate value. Stable it won't be, but still, it's gonna be good enough to test the meter, allow to fully troubleshoot / repair it, etc.

Hell I could even just shove two wires in the meter and supply the Vref using my external lab power supply ! :-DD

Yeah..... this meter is becoming more and more of a project !  It's a time to make its own thread before I am too far into it !  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #117142 on: April 06, 2022, 10:56:59 am »
Or you could try repairing the existing resistors, unless you butchered the bobbins too badly...  :-//

mnem
Or you could take the easy route and hack your Cheap Chinese Voltage Standard...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:00:45 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117143 on: April 06, 2022, 11:33:07 am »
Yes butchered it has been. coils got cut when I cut the yellow "jacket", sadly.

Chinese Vref well yes I guess I could add a pot to it and use that as an external ref for the meter, why not...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #117144 on: April 06, 2022, 11:33:50 am »

Cue my first project with the multiturn pots and knobs...

Don't laugh with the LM317. It's pretty much the only high(er) voltage LDO that is available for space projects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117145 on: April 06, 2022, 11:38:55 am »
What do you mean I have a problem? I don’t have a problem. You’re the one with a problem.

I only had the MD78 in December. This is just the Fluke meters I own. Doesn’t include some other equipment.

I’ve held off buying vintage stuff. Only because I’m in the process of moving. Once I’m settled in though I’m going old school analog Fluke equipment.

So... this is just what you keep in your road bag, right RoadDog...?  :-DD

Oh, and welcome to the nuthouse! We look forward to seeing your collection grow enabling you. >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, RoadDog

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117146 on: April 06, 2022, 11:41:51 am »
Vince, here's another alternative. Use your AD584-M set to 10V and divide it down to 4.000V.

This is a circuit I built up to check 3.5 and 4.5 digit DMM's that require 190mV, 1.9V, and 19V as their calibration sources. I had to use two AD584-M's in series because I needed 19V. You could take one of the basic circuits and play with the resistor values to get exactly 4.000V. The trim pots are 25 turn and the resistors are 0.1%.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117147 on: April 06, 2022, 11:44:16 am »
Looks very much like the connectors which were common on electric kettles & "electric jugs" in Oz, prior to adoption of the modern type IEC connector.

Vince's connector was originally developed in Germany where it was known as a Kaltgeraetestecker, literally a cold appliance plug.

The variety for kettles and waffle irons was about twice as big, had a ceramic portion at the front and looks like this:

1456762-0

If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117148 on: April 06, 2022, 11:46:22 am »
Vince, here's another alternative. Use your AD584-M set to 10V and divide it down to 4.000V.

Yes ! That's exactly what we have discussed a second ago with Dwagon above !  >:D

TEA is such a fast paced thread, these things happen !  ;D

Thanks for the schematic though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117149 on: April 06, 2022, 11:48:20 am »
Yes butchered it has been. coils got cut when I cut the yellow "jacket", sadly.

Chinese Vref well yes I guess I could add a pot to it and use that as an external ref for the meter, why not...
Well, my point was why reinvent the wheel. Make a circuit that works using the Cheap & Cheerful China-Direct™ Vref, then once you have your meter working, or at least functional enuf that you know you're gonna stick with it til it does, then you can start shopping some AD584s and design your PCB based on the VRef, which is doubtless directly based on the dev example circuits in the AD584 datasheet.

Have fun!

mnem
 :-DMM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf