Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17733444 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117075 on: April 05, 2022, 12:34:12 pm »
hey vince

you provided 20 pictures of the meters but neglected to post even one shot of the unobtainium power cord.

ya' know there are cord aficionados out here.......don't forget about us.

That's odd ! I did intend to post a pic of the plug, took a close-up of it and meant for it to be the very first pic I would attach so.... lemme see. Oh, strange... looks like I somehow failed to attach it  ?!  :-//

Here it is !!!  ;D

Well at least you got a shot of the back panel hence of the socket.

Nothing new though : as I said, same plug/socket as my Rochar frequency counter, which we have already discussed when I got it.
Someone even found me a power plug "museum", where we identified that plug. Someone also found this plug for sale brand new, somehow, in Germany I think, for about the price of a kidney + a liver. So I passed on it... I prefer to just install IEC sockets instead. Much cheaper and more practical as well, helps me standardize power cords in my TE / lab.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:37:05 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117076 on: April 05, 2022, 12:35:40 pm »
You guys are getting a dose of IBM speak. Ain't it fun?  :-DD

We've always suspected there's a guy at corporate HQ in Armonk who's sole job is to come up with fancy words. And gets paid BIG bucks.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117077 on: April 05, 2022, 12:36:24 pm »
I'm at work, not pulling a sicky for a cold.

As said by everybody who latter came to be known in the press as "patient zero". 

I get it, you're a big strapping lad who isn't going to "let a piddling little cold stop me", but perhaps the next person you meet isn't a big strapping lad but a little old lady with emphysema like my SWMBO, who catches it, develops complications, and ends up in hospital.

Please folks, if you've got a cold don't spread it around, stay at home until you're better or at least until you're sure that you're not going to pass it on. If the past couple of years have taught as anything, surely they've taught us the wisdom of actively trying to not be a walking vector for viral diseases.

I've never understood how being a disease vector and potentially causing multiple times the disruption than just taking the day off to start with can be such a point of pride....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117078 on: April 05, 2022, 12:45:02 pm »
I'm at work, not pulling a sicky for a cold.

As said by everybody who latter came to be known in the press as "patient zero". 

I get it, you're a big strapping lad who isn't going to "let a piddling little cold stop me", but perhaps the next person you meet isn't a big strapping lad but a little old lady with emphysema like my SWMBO, who catches it, develops complications, and ends up in hospital.

Please folks, if you've got a cold don't spread it around, stay at home until you're better or at least until you're sure that you're not going to pass it on. If the past couple of years have taught as anything, surely they've taught us the wisdom of actively trying to not be a walking vector for viral diseases.

I've never understood how being a disease vector and potentially causing multiple times the disruption than just taking the day off to start with can be such a point of pride....
Well, I suppose it might have something to do with whether you normally work on your own, if so then you are not being that vector and still getting the job done.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117080 on: April 05, 2022, 01:46:11 pm »
Thanks, interesting table... so all the IEC plugs have a 'C' designation number, practical !

This way I could search on Ebay for the thing, and found all sorts of cool adapters I didn't even know existed ! :D

There are C9 adapters for modern sockets, like this one for example, but sadly none of them have the earth connection  :(

https://www.ebay.de/itm/125203639499?hash=item1d26b7eccb:g:iKQAAOSw3bRiMJL8

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #117081 on: April 05, 2022, 02:03:18 pm »
I don't have a high temperature
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117082 on: April 05, 2022, 02:30:30 pm »
Was someone looking for a Spectrum Analyser?

HP 3585A  20Hz-40MHz.    - Seller claims it is working and it appears to be doing something in the photos.  Collection from KN12 postcode area or buyer arranges shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194956704041?hash=item2d64533929    Presently at 99p  / reserve not met  :)

I have absolutely no interest in this antique.

The following users thanked this post: TaylorD93

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117083 on: April 05, 2022, 03:02:44 pm »

HP 3585A  20Hz-40MHz.    - Seller claims it is working and it appears to be doing something in the photos.  Collection from KN12 postcode area or buyer arranges shipping.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194956704041?hash=item2d64533929    Presently at 99p  / reserve not met  :)

Hmm, collection only, coastal Norfolk, lots of tattoos, hand concealed so you can't count how many fingers:

Prospective buyers might be advised to stop short of the premises and listen for the sound of banjo music before deciding whether to proceed.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, TaylorD93

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #117084 on: April 05, 2022, 03:13:31 pm »

This is a so-called three pole IEC C9 cable. The counterpart is the C10.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger%C3%A4testecker#Vorl%C3%A4ufer_des_Kaltger%C3%A4testeckers
I don't see the problem; am I missing something here?  :-//

This particular plug is obviously designed to allow maintenance, and appears in quite serviceable condition... a little cleanup, solder in a new cord... should be good to go again, provided connecting surfaces of pins/contacts are intact and cleanable. Why go mucking about hacking in a C-14 socket if there is no obvious fault here?

It's the oddball molded cords that are a complete dicksore when the supply dries up; those I can see changing sockets, just to save your sanity.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117085 on: April 05, 2022, 03:18:58 pm »

Hmm, collection only, coastal Norfolk, lots of tattoos, hand concealed so you can't count how many fingers:

Prospective buyers might be advised to stop short of the premises and listen for the sound of banjo music before deciding whether to proceed.

:scared: :scared: :-DD

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117086 on: April 05, 2022, 04:18:36 pm »
Yes yes I know I'm enjoying the tech-speak for entertainment.  :) I love the phrases like this one -

Beyond these industry-first innovations, we are excited to introduce new capabilities for clients designed to secure, modernize, automate and transform with data-driven insights across their hybrid cloud estate.

https://www.ibm.com/cloud/blog/ibm-z16

The real fun starts when you have to translate such crap.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117087 on: April 05, 2022, 04:56:56 pm »

This is a so-called three pole IEC C9 cable. The counterpart is the C10.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger%C3%A4testecker#Vorl%C3%A4ufer_des_Kaltger%C3%A4testeckers

This particular plug is obviously designed to allow maintenance, and appears in quite serviceable condition... a little cleanup, solder in a new cord... should be good to go again, provided connecting surfaces of pins/contacts are intact and cleanable. Why go mucking about hacking in a C-14 socket if there is no obvious fault here?

It's the oddball molded cords that are a complete dicksore when the supply dries up; those I can see changing sockets, just to save your sanity.  :palm:

mnem

Yes, you have been missing something, you didn't read my message properly ! >:D

If you did, you would have seen that I have THREE Rochar instruments, but only ONE came with the obsolete cable. More over, even though the plug is still available new today, it is MEGA expensive, so I am NOT going to make my own cables.

So, short of being able to make new old cables, I will convert the instruments  to modern IEC sockets. Plus, it should be easy enough, seeing as the old socket is very close in size and shape to a modern socket, and there is ample room on the PCB for the minor H/W modifications that might be required to fit the new socket in the cutout of the old one.

Do you understand better now ?!  >:D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:59:50 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #117088 on: April 05, 2022, 05:09:48 pm »
Yes yes I know I'm enjoying the tech-speak for entertainment.  :) I love the phrases like this one -

Beyond these industry-first innovations, we are excited to introduce new capabilities for clients designed to secure, modernize, automate and transform with data-driven insights across their hybrid cloud estate.

https://www.ibm.com/cloud/blog/ibm-z16

The real fun starts when you have to translate such crap.

C compilers have the right attitude when used with high optimisation options.

If some of the words cannot be reached or can be shown to cause illegal operations, then simply ignore and omit the words.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117089 on: April 05, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »
Inspired by Dave's HP6643A video

I catched an 66xx from the boat anchor class.

It's a Agilent 6653A, delivering 35V 15A max.
Net weight 25kg.

Did a quick test with my 8A analogue load  :-DD

The accuracy of the current limit is not that bad.
S/N sticker says its from year 2000, looking inside I'm not totally conviced, it might be older in parts.

Trafo and cooling block are quite some armatures.
Defintely this guy is one to stack at the bottom.

There has been some repair or exchange of pcbs, as some cables carry handwriting. And there is a funny sticker on top of one of the caps:

Now I have to fetch a connector for the remote sensing etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 06:10:02 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #117090 on: April 05, 2022, 06:21:34 pm »
8A on the bench are toasty... thanks for posting.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117091 on: April 05, 2022, 06:31:00 pm »
My electricity is 100% from renewable sources. Turning a substantial PSU up and the gas heating down seems the right thing to do in these days.
Maybe I should put this guy under the desk as a feet warmer and think about some kind of a desktop box with connectors and remote control.   

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #117092 on: April 05, 2022, 06:32:35 pm »
My Lady Cop is not computer savvy so she is a perfect candidate for Linux. Installed on her laptop and as long as she can get on Firefox and print stuff she is a happy camper. And I'm happy because maintenance is minimal.

Hey, I am slightly computer savvy ;D and I just switched my last computer, the main Lenovo box over to Linux Mint 20.3 Una.  My networked printers just came up on their own and I like having Thunderbird manage my 3 main email accounts; ISP, domain and Yahoo, under 1 roof.  I also appreciate how unobtrusive systems updates are.  The only issue I am having is finding a document scanner or MFD that works with Linux.  My Google Fu has failed me.  Everything I find that says Linux compatible, when you look at the specs, doesn't mention Linux.  And my Epson scanners have no drivers even tried vuescan with no luck.  Does anyone have a reasonable priced suggestion on this side of the pond?  The MFD is first choice, a document scanner is second choice.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117093 on: April 05, 2022, 07:07:08 pm »
My electricity is 100% from renewable sources. Turning a substantial PSU up and the gas heating down seems the right thing to do in these days.
Maybe I should put this guy under the desk as a feet warmer and think about some kind of a desktop box with connectors and remote control.

While you are doing the right thing with renewable energy I am negating you by expanding my carbon footprint and contributing to global warming. And perish the thought that soon I should have a 2nd one powered up and fully functional.  >:D

Beat me with a wet noodle.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #117094 on: April 05, 2022, 07:24:39 pm »
My Lady Cop is not computer savvy so she is a perfect candidate for Linux. Installed on her laptop and as long as she can get on Firefox and print stuff she is a happy camper. And I'm happy because maintenance is minimal.

Hey, I am slightly computer savvy ;D and I just switched my last computer, the main Lenovo box over to Linux Mint 20.3 Una.  My networked printers just came up on their own and I like having Thunderbird manage my 3 main email accounts; ISP, domain and Yahoo, under 1 roof.  I also appreciate how unobtrusive systems updates are.  The only issue I am having is finding a document scanner or MFD that works with Linux.  My Google Fu has failed me.  Everything I find that says Linux compatible, when you look at the specs, doesn't mention Linux.  And my Epson scanners have no drivers even tried vuescan with no luck.  Does anyone have a reasonable priced suggestion on this side of the pond?  The MFD is first choice, a document scanner is second choice.

This is worth what you pay for it...

I have an ancient HP PSC 750 printer/scanner,and an almost as old Epson scanner.

For scanning, xsane works with both.  Linux printing is pretty good nowadays.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #117095 on: April 05, 2022, 08:00:51 pm »

The thing that impresses me the most is that IBM has done a "Harrier" and realised that there are better things overseas; they're not running piss-poor Hubbell connectors or welder CamLok  connectors for three-phase, but actual CEE 4-pin or 3-pin three-phase connectors. From colour one can tell that the machine likely is powered by single-phase 220V branches or Delta-connected 208V; the blue shell signifies that the main voltage is 200-250V. Had it been 127V, the shells would, as anyone in UK construction knows, be yellow.

Edit: I can't spell
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:14:38 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117096 on: April 05, 2022, 08:08:59 pm »
Nixie DMM update :

Got it working !!

Nope... not even close  :palm:

I mean it does power up now... I noticed one of the wires at the back of the power switch, was broken. Redid the joint.
Still no joy...
Measured voltage across the switch :

- In the OFF position = 230V mains, normal.
- In the ON position = still 230V... NOT normal !!!  :scared:

So the power switch is stuck in the open position... that's my luck  :o
I exercised it a couple dozen times, no joy.
Good luck finding an identical looking switch !
I guess I can alwyas bypass it and just use the power cord or fuse to turn it off... so it's not a show stopper as such.

so to get it going, I bypassed the switch. Soldered both wires together.

NOW it comes to life, all Nixes lighten up, brightly and consistently so, as well ! 8)

Unfortunately that's as far as it goes... for the rest, it's a complete shit show !  :--
Erratic and non-sensical behavior, is how I would best describe it...

Does not matter what voltage you feed it with, it's polarity, the range you are using... it doesn't care, the Nixie still display and behave the exact same way regardless of what you are trying to get it to do.
It's just basically giving you a mega huge middle finger  :-BROKE

- The polarity Nixie is stuck, on " + " no matter what.
- The first / LSD Nixie is counting so that's good, there is countingulation going on.
- The second Nixie counts too but only between 0 and 1... or maybe it's not counting and simply lighting up both digits at the same time becuase buggy.. I can't tell for sure.
- It fails to even display it's own internal Vref (4000).
- The decimal point is moving appropriately, as you move the range switch, though I don't think it's telling me much about the health of the instrument's brain/circuitry, because it looks like the Neons are merely hard wired to the switch...  ::)
- If I press the push button to trigger manually, it does produce some effect, and usually zeros all the Nixie tubes, which is good/expected behaviour I guess. So I will take that as victory.

I put some contact cleaner in all the Nixie tubes no luck. Put some also in the card edge connectors of said boards... no luck. Wasn't expecting much anyway, seeing as these connectors look like the same type that got used in the Ferisol counter : FRBG "Hypertac" technology. So gold plated and reliable socket design.. clever that Hypertac thing..

Fixing this beast will not be a 5 minute job because of accessibility, and I don't have extenders.

So... looks like the electrical restoration will be just as involved as the cosmetic one. Definitely worth a dedicated restoration thread... will make one soon.

For now, other than chekcing voltages, I would say it looks like we have two problems at least :

- The counting does not work fully.

- It does not register neithyer the input voltage, or its internal 4.000V Vref.

The counting, I guess I can swap the 4 Nixie boards with the other meter, lucky me.
The fifth board that display the polarity though, I fear they are nit interchangeable as they are quite large and I fear it might host some of the stuff that's specific to each counter ( AC/DC instead of just DC. auto-ranging.)

Stay tuned....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117097 on: April 05, 2022, 08:11:06 pm »

mnem

If you did, you would have seen that I have THREE Rochar instruments, but only ONE came with the obsolete cable. More over, even though the plug is still available new today, it is MEGA expensive, so I am NOT going to make my own cables.

So, short of being able to make new old cables, I will convert the instruments  to modern IEC sockets. Plus, it should be easy enough, seeing as the old socket is very close in size and shape to a modern socket, and there is ample room on the PCB for the minor H/W modifications that might be required to fit the new socket in the cutout of the old one.

Do you really need to run any more than one at a time...?  :o

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:19:39 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117098 on: April 05, 2022, 08:17:29 pm »

mnem

It's the point... The point it : what IF do ?! I am fucked ?!
This is not acceptable, therefore I do need this ability. Simple.  8)

To begin with, one of the reasons it took me 2+ months to present these puppies to you is that the family picture I took with all 3 of them... I wanted to take it with all of them powered up, so they can all show you their lovely Nixies lit up. Looks much better this way. So, I was waiting to have retrofitted all of them with IEC sockets so I could do that. But, it's quite an involved job on these instruments, so I never got the courage to do it.

So I am so glad to have at least this one cable to at least let me work, or play, with one of them at a time. It's better than nothing, saves my bacon.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:36:38 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117099 on: April 05, 2022, 08:21:24 pm »

mnem

It's the point... The point it : what IFI do ?! I am fucked ?!
This is not acceptable, therefore I do need this ability. Simple.  8)

To begin with, one of the reasons it took me 2+ month to present this puppies to you is that  the family picture I took with all 3 of them... I wanted to take it with all of them powered up, so they can all show you their lovely Nixies lit up. Looks much better this way. So, I was waiting to have retrofitted all of them with IEC sockets to I could do that. but, it's quite an involved job on this instruments; so I never got the courage to do it.

So I am so glad to have at least this one cable to at least let me work, or play, with one of them at a time. It's better than nothing, saves my bacon.

Yes, but then I wouldn't get the fun of poking the resident frog with a claw.   >:D

In that vein... Looks to me like your Nixie meter is working... just not at what you want it to be working on.  :-DD

Being a engineer, you should be quite familiar with that pastime. ;)

mnem
*agitating-ily*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf