Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17734567 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #117025 on: April 04, 2022, 09:17:26 pm »
HD now  8)

Yup, finally... :D

Just installed the Java runtime, now I just need to go find as many software packages as I can...... They seem a little difficult to find online..
Quick, save a disk image for future misuse!   :-DD

mnem
*currently shopping sutures on Amazon because I can't find small curved needles to fix a leather chair...* :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:19:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117026 on: April 04, 2022, 09:21:55 pm »
OK so I promised some good stuff, here it is.

Remember that old Nixie counter I got recently, made by " Rochar " a defunct French TE manufacturer ?
Well I really love it, so I got more from them ! A couple bench Nixie DMM !  :D

Got the first one in january IIRC. A friend pointed it to me on leboncoin.fr.
Looked cool but seller wanted 100 euros for it, go away you  speculator capitalist !  :horse:
He was advertising it not as a DMM, but merely as "a source of Nixie tubes" !  :--
I put it in my "like" list" anyway, in case the prices might drop to a more reasonable level one day.
Well believe it or not, the very next day, he relisted the tihng for 50 instead of 100 !!!  :o
50 Euros that's my usual max budget for impulse buys of old  / collection stuff, so I immediately pulled the trigger !  :D
Bonus point : guy had the original power cable ! Extremely valuable because the DMM uses, just like the counter did, a now long obsolete power plug !  :scared:
When I received the DMM, the cable was missing !  :blah: 
I thought OK give up Vince, you got screwed, no point arguing with the guy it's a waste of time.
But, since the cable was really unobtanium and it takes not much time and money to send the guy a message... I played dumb and asked about the cable.... to my great surprise, showck and amzament, the guy was actually honest !  He apologized and immediately sent it to me at his expense !  :o
That's NOT how things usually go over here, not at all ! :clap:

Then I started actively searching leboncoin.fr for "Rochar".. and guess what, Murphy loved me and just a few weeks later I found another one !!  :D
Same model, different version, cool !  :D
Guy wanted 90 for it, better than 100 but still too much. I offered him 70, he accepted, not even a counter offer, and even better, after exchanging a few e-mail about this and that, out of the blue he said he would do it for 60 not 70, me asked for nothing I swear ! :o
So... X-mas really.

So have two lovely Rochar Nixie DMM now.

Model A.1135 
Manual is available on-line, with all the goodness you could want from a good manual  8)
There are 4 different variants of this meter ('no suffix', and suffix B/C/D), depending on the combination of 2 variables :

- Whether it's DC only, or AC + DC. If the latter it also enjoys auto-ranging as well.
- Whether it has printer port at the back.

I have a ' B' and a 'D'.

'D' : DC only, manual range, but has the printer port./
'B' : AC/DC, auto-range,  but no printer port. However it looks simple enough to retro fit that : it's just a DB25 connector, and the rear panel is precut, and the PCB has already the mounting holes for the connector. The wiring then is dead simple, as you can see on the pics below.

Specs : good enough that I can actually contemplate using the thing, not just looking at it ! It's a lab grade instrument not a toy. It's actually much more accurate than my goto/dailty driver Fluke 11 meter !
0.2% + one count, vs 0.9% for the fluke IIRC.
Count-wise, I love it, it has an interesting feature ! It's a 5,000 count meter, but 2,500 count resolution. Did I just lose you there ?  Explanation : the display does count only 2 by 2 ! It display only values in 23 steps, only even values. This way get a wider dynamic range for your 2,500 count. So it will only display say 0mV, 2mV, 4mV... but never 1 or 3 or 5 or 7 or 9mV.

Weird eh ? Has anybody seen this on another piece of TE somewhere ?!

Impedance : HIGH. 5Meg on all ranges AND a super high 1,000Meg impedance on the 5V range.

Ranges : 5/50/500V.

So... yeah, it would be ideal to test the power rails on mly old glowing Tek TE ! How cool that would look to troubleshoot a Tek scope with a nice Nixie DMM of the same era ?!  8)
Looking forward to doing that and taking some pics !  8)

So, even though I have had these two bad boys for some time now, believe it or not I have NEVER even tested them so far ! This evening is the first time I look at them.

Piccies now eh. First a few family pictures with the two DMM and the counter. MY 3 Rochar pieces gathered. Then the two meters side by side.

The I took apart one of them, the suffix 'D', because it looked like it was in worse shape than the other and I wanted to see inside...also because the seller used foam chips to pack it, and the foam bits found their way in abundance inside the meter ! So wanted to open it up if just to get rid of all that foam ! :horse:
So all the close pictures are from this one.

- It's missing the 4 screws at the bottom, that secure the chassis inside, to the cabinet. so the chassis is wandering in there, not good !  :--

- It's missing also its 4 rubber feet, because said screws were also securing the feet. Luckily looking at the other DMM, these feet look like standard rubber feet. I should have no trouble finding a good replacement.

- Some surface rust outside on the back panel. Rusty screws as well. So will need new screws, and sanding/priming/painting of the panel. Inside of the panel is rusty too as you can see.

- Surface rust also inside the cabinet, on the bottom.

- Surface dust also, well pitting at least, on the chassis. That less fortunate... would need to buy brushed to get rid of the pitting in the nooks and crannies. Then apply a coat of clear rust remover/sealer or something...

- Printer port / DB25 is pitted too, and its mounting screws as well.

- More rust on the mounting bracket, painted black, that holds the Nixie tubes. Again not difficult to sand down and prime/paint.

- Front panel : looks.. well not so good, but a good clean and it should come out just fine I think. It's well used but I think maybe I could improve the knobs with a polishing/buffing wheel... which I would have to buy first !  :-//  Then redo the white dot on the big red know. The polish the bright work. I thing it could look very nice with some TLC !  8)

- Display colour filter : same design as the counter, so same problem (on both meters) --> the orange colour filter half dropped inside the cabinet, because the foam that held it in place has long turned to dust...

- Components : on the underside, see close up, there are a couple yellow axial components, that are leaky. Not even sure at this point if they are caps or.. maybe batteries/cells (for the voltage reference maybe... will need to look that up in the schematics).

The internal construction and topology is very similar to that of the counter because.. well, same era, and deep down it IS a counter... DMM does a voltage to time conversion then it measures the width of the pulse. So again, like in a counter, we have Nixie decade boards that divide a clock signal.

So now that I have it apart, might as well start restoring it right now, and of course fit an IEC power socket to make my life much less miserable, and allow me to actually use all my Rochar TE.

OK pics now.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:25:18 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117027 on: April 04, 2022, 09:23:58 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117028 on: April 04, 2022, 09:24:45 pm »
That's all Folks...

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #117029 on: April 04, 2022, 09:46:49 pm »
So now you need to find a 'no suffix' and a 'C' model to complete your collection!!   >:D >:D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117030 on: April 04, 2022, 09:48:17 pm »
Breaks my heart !!!   :( :( :( :( :(

This guy has been trying to sell this really clean looking Tek 535A scope, for many many months now... at first he wanted a silly price, like 150 Euros can't remember, but PICK UP ONLY.
So, nobody to go get it so he just keeps dropping the price month after month, and now today he relisted it, this time at only 20 FREAKING EUROS !!!  :scared:

A beautiful clean 535A for only 20 Euros and it might still end up in the dump yard anyway, what a tragedy !!!

It's in the very far south east of France on the coast near Italy, worlds away from me !!  :palm:
It's like a guy in Los Angeles wanted to pick it up in New York or something !  |O

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2111397713.htm

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie, Neper

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117031 on: April 04, 2022, 09:51:44 pm »
Somehow, and I don't know why, they even look French.  ;D

Great score Vince.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117032 on: April 04, 2022, 09:58:41 pm »
Type 105 fan. Added one bushing to the armature. That eliminated the play and the back and forth movement of the armature while the fan is running. Took care of the banging noise.

Test drive to make sure all is OK.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117033 on: April 04, 2022, 10:58:34 pm »
That's my luck !

I wanted to do one quick test ride of the thing, show you at least one piccie of the thing lit up and working.. so I half put it back together in a hurry, fired it up and ... nothing ! Doesn't power up, no sign of life !  :palm:  Was working fine in the sellers pics  :-//

So, some troubleshooting to do on top of the cosmetic restoration it looks like ! Lots of work on this puppy... and I like it very much, and it's rare so... I think it's a good candidate to give it its own dedicated restoration thread on the forum !  8) Will create one soon, and post the link here for those interested in seeing it coming back to life little by little...

So, instead I tried the OTHER meter... and this one DOES work !  8)
The Nixie tubes acted weirdly, or didn't come on at all, at first but.. after a few seconds they all lit up and started behaving normally.

A quick calibration using the controls conveniently provided on the front panel and... look what we got, not bad eh !!!

Remember the Nixie meter is actually much MORE accurate than the Fluke... so one can't even pretend that it's the old DMM that's off, might just as well be the Fluke for all I know ! >:D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:14:22 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117034 on: April 04, 2022, 11:01:51 pm »
An inaccurate Fluke? Bite your tongue!  Can't happen.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117035 on: April 04, 2022, 11:05:35 pm »
<SNIP>

Yes its pretty much an identical match to the old Hameg HM5011 model, so i suspect its a clone with perhaps lower quality components or perhaps dodgy CRT's as i cant imagine there are many manufacturers out there anymore for that type of CRT.

Main planned usage is for filter design/testing, maybe a little bit of tinkering with RF (something id like to get into). I also have a few switch mode PSU's that i want to repair/use which have some nasty switching harmonics, my scope cannot quite detect them correctly and id like to experiment with different filters and sniffing out noise sources to try and improve the designs (things are built to a cost, so if i can spend a few more £££ to make them better, why not?)

@TaylorD93
Is size a concern? What is the lowest frequency you want to look at?
The Hameg or its clone are not best "bang for the buck"
To do the filters you do of course need the tracking generator.

Size is not much of a concern, but the Rigol DSA815-TG seemed to be quite a small form factor being a modern bit of kit.

As i said before, i do like a bit of Hameg kit, owning a fair few of their Analog CRT Scopes, but the only HM-5006 (500MHz SA + TG) or HM-5011 (1GHz SA + TG) on ebay are over £1500, for which money i could get the above mentioned Rigol.

Budget is say around £600, which is why the Chinese Clone of the HAMEG caught my eye. Ive also seen a few HP Portables on ebay, but they tend to be broken or in need of calibration which is a bit out of my league given my other test equipment on the bench.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384771285289

EDIT: Oh, I see... you're wanting the 5011, not the 5010.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Also not UK Based, so would end up costing just as much as the Aliexpress one to get it delivered + import duty etc.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #117036 on: April 04, 2022, 11:18:00 pm »
That's my luck !

I wanted to do one quick test ride of the thing, show you at least one piccie of the thing lit up and working.. so I half put it back together in a hurry, fired it up and ... nothing ! Doesn't power up, no sign of life !  :palm:  Was working fine in the sellers pics  :-//

So, some troubleshooting to do on top of the cosmetic restoration it looks like ! Lots of work on this puppy... and I like it very much, and it's rare so... I think it's a good candidate to give it its own dedicated restoration thread on the forum !  8) Will create one soon, and post the link here for those interested in seeing it coming back to life little by little...

So, instead I tried the OTHER meter... and this one DOES work !  8)
The Nixie tubes acted weirdly, or didn't come on at all, at first but.. after a few seconds they all lit up and started behaving normally.

A quick calibration using the controls conveniently provided on the front panel and... look what we got, not bad eh !!!

Remember the Nixie meter is actually much MORE accurate than the Fluke... so one can't even pretend that it's the old DMM that's off, might just as well be the Fluke for all I know ! >:D

You all know how much I love to see the orange glow of nixies, especially when they're in the instrument they came with!  Nice, Vince.   :-+ :-+ :-+  (Though I'm with Mike on the accuracy - I think your bench meter is reading 6 mV high. :P  )

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117037 on: April 05, 2022, 12:10:18 am »
Hey stupid me ! Why did I even use another DMM, the other day I got that Chinese Vref remember ! It's there for a purpose !  :-DD

So let's see... I  used its 2.5V output, the most accurate it offers.

The Nixie meter hesitates between 2.504 and 2.506 (remember it displays only even values), so let's say it wants to display 2.505 if it could.

That's +5mV or exactly +0.2% , which is spot on the accuracy specified in the manual !  :-+
And of course that's for a 60 year old crusty unit, before it's restored and fine tuned...so there is room for improvement still  8)

The Fluke 11 displays 2.501V and is stable, not hesitating. Not bad for a 0.9% meter... got my money's worth when I bought it new in 1997...

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:12:53 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117038 on: April 05, 2022, 12:18:39 am »
Use of 1.5mm2 for extension cables/flat-fours/sixes etc has so many weasel words it's unreal. Personally I wouldn't use it at anywhere near that kind of load if it's longer than a couple of metres. It beggars belief that manufacturers can get away with selling 25m reel extensions by including a few lines of small print that no domestic user will ever read.

I was at a garden party (i.e. summer barbie and piss-up) at a friends place who clearly wasn't a reader. An extension of this type:

that was only pulling a few amps, nothing close to the full rating, melted, shorted, and left a puddle of PVC and copper that when it cooled made a perfect mould of the inside of the case.

I'm please to note that the only photos of that style of extension reel that I could find all have obvious thermal cutouts on nowadays.

Since you've worked in entertainment (unless I'm mixing you up with someone else on here) you'll be familiar with the fun* of coiling 16mm2 5-core (or similar) flex back up after use...[/color][/size][/b]

I have had that dubious pleasure.
If it was pulling nothing like its rated current, was there still loads of cable left wound up in the body of that thing? People just don't understand that when using that type of extension lead, you must pull the cable off the drum otherwise it will overheat.

When I was doing my training at the National bus company, they had a double-decker that was converted into a mobile cinema and booking office for coach tours. The upper deck was the cinema and the downstairs was the booking office. Under the stairs at the back they had a huge great reel with metres of 2.5mm 3 core flex on it. This was pulled out and plugged into the nearest power socket. The only loading was a sound system, projector and a few lights. One time it was parked on the forecourt of the local depot showing holiday films, I was on my across the road to the local bakers to buy some cream buns and I noticed smoke coming out of the storage locker where the lead was kept. The drum was on fire, so I had to dash into the office and unplug the lead, killing the film presentation, but at least the bus and the guests were saved,  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117039 on: April 05, 2022, 12:30:27 am »
HD now  8)

Just installed the Java runtime, now I just need to go find as many software packages as I can...... They seem a little difficult to find online..

mnem
*currently shopping sutures on Amazon because I can't find small curved needles to fix a leather chair...* :o

Unfortunately, someone did a secure erase or something on the HDD before I got it, even the usual bunch of undelete software didn't find anything, so I'm working with a blank slate. :(
I'll stick a CF card in with an adapter to ensure future reliability and speed, but I'm on the hunt for any of the seemingly unobtanium java software...

If anyone has any of these and can provide me with a copy, I love you long time...

TDSPWR1 - Power Analysis
TDSJIT1V2 - Jitter Analysis Measurements
TDSCEM1 - Communications Eye-Diagram Measurements
TDSCPM1 - Communications Pulse Measurements
TDSDMM1 - Disk Drive Measurement
TDSPRT1 - Enhanced Printing
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117040 on: April 05, 2022, 12:31:50 am »
If it was pulling nothing like its rated current, was there still loads of cable left wound up in the body of that thing? People just don't understand that when using that type of extension lead, you must pull the cable off the drum otherwise it will overheat.

Exactly, it was the old "too dumb to read the instructions" schtick, beloved of the same kind of man who would rather be lost than stop and ask someone for directions.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117041 on: April 05, 2022, 12:44:14 am »
Well the Sinclair / Thandar SC110 scope lives, finally, but sadly I forgot to take any more internal photos before I reassembled it. I did find another transistor with a dodgy lead in the Y amplifier, ZTX109 was fitted, the service manual said it should be a ZTX239 which after researching, it turned out that a S9014 was near enough the same.

S9014 was fitted, ran through the calibration procedure and bingo, a pretty useful addition to the bench has been made. I can see this replacing the Thandar SM630 as the front line device, 10MHz is overkill for the audio work which is what I do mainly and if I do need more, I still have the SM630 (20MHz), the TDS210 (60MHz) and the PM3390B (200MHz) which is my pride and joy as it does both digital and analogue  :-+

Any way, here are 3 photos of the SC110, showing displaying a 60KHz signal @ 0.8Vpp, sine, square and triangle waves and it appears to be pretty accurate to, but certainly perfectly suited for application.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:54:33 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117042 on: April 05, 2022, 01:14:08 am »
Well the Sinclair / Thandar SC110 scope lives, finally, but sadly I forgot to take any more internal photos before I reassembled it. I did find another transistor with a dodgy lead in the Y amplifier, ZTX109 was fitted, the service manual said it should be a ZTX239 which after researching, it turned out that a S9014 was near enough the same.

S9014 was fitted, ran through the calibration procedure and bingo, a pretty useful addition to the bench has been made. I can see this replacing the Thandar SM630 as the front line device, 10MHz is overkill for the audio work which is what I do mainly and if I do need more, I still have the SM630 (20MHz), the TDS210 (60MHz) and the PM3390B (200MHz) which is my pride and joy as it does both digital and analogue  :-+

Any way, here are 3 photos of the SC110, showing displaying a 60KHz signal @ 0.8Vpp, sine, square and triangle waves and it appears to be pretty accurate to, but certainly perfectly suited for application.

I have one of these, unfortunately batteries had been left in it for years, so the battery clip was corroded to heck. Also the switch (to change rechargable or zinc batteries) is also corroded to the point that the PCB wont take solder at all. Not sure i want mine anymore as i found it more of a novelty. Not able to get the battery situation to work (no clips/holders are small enough to fit in the enclosure), so its kind of pointless as its just wired into the mains, in which case i have lots of other scopes to use...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117043 on: April 05, 2022, 01:32:25 am »

Looks great, good job!  :-+ But I'm wondering. What kind of Heebie Jeebies would cause transistor leads to be eaten away?  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #117044 on: April 05, 2022, 01:53:13 am »
HD now  8)

mnem

Unfortunately, someone did a secure erase or something on the HDD before I got it, even the usual bunch of undelete software didn't find anything, so I'm working with a blank slate. :(
I'll stick a CF card in with an adapter to ensure future reliability and speed, but I'm on the hunt for any of the seemingly unobtanium java software...

If anyone has any of these and can provide me with a copy, I love you long time...

TDSPWR1 - Power Analysis
Oh, I thought you were fixing the hard drive to get the firmware, etc off of so it would do this magical transformation. D'oh!

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #117045 on: April 05, 2022, 02:01:25 am »

Looks great, good job!  :-+ But I'm wondering. What kind of Heebie Jeebies would cause transistor leads to be eaten away?  :-//
Just a decade or 2 sitting around with a little dust and humidity, that's all.
The D83 scope I had showed significant pitting on a few silicon device leads and those were from when they were real tinned copper and not tinned steel.
Properly deeply seated transistors in sockets are fine whereas if left with long leads they are at much higher risk of pitting and becoming fragile.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #117046 on: April 05, 2022, 02:23:24 am »
wish me luck I am installing Ubuntu on my wife's laptop

It lasted more than I was expecting, last two weeks she kept using my laptop because Ubuntu and "Jimpoo" (aka GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program) were not usable for her.
Arguing with technical reasons was/is pointless, I gave up.

Now back to Win10 with forced Microsoft account on and an horrible cracked Adobe Paintshop 2017.

happy wife, happy life  :horse:

PS: now targeting arch linux on my Laptop finally wife free...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 02:32:38 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #117047 on: April 05, 2022, 02:54:37 am »
My Lady Cop is not computer savvy so she is a perfect candidate for Linux. Installed on her laptop and as long as she can get on Firefox and print stuff she is a happy camper. And I'm happy because maintenance is minimal.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca, Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #117048 on: April 05, 2022, 03:46:58 am »
The kid here chooses LINUX over Winbloze; he has the choice of either.  The other day he had an error message he did not understand ... turns out the Ubuntu SSD was full.  Full of Minecraft maps; over a thousand at 20 MB each...  :palm:

SWMBO has not even touched LINUX; she has the choice.  At least she prefers Windows 7 over Windows 10...  :horse:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #117049 on: April 05, 2022, 05:06:05 am »
HD now  8)

mnem

TDSPWR1 - Power Analysis
Oh, I thought you were fixing the hard drive to get the firmware, etc off of so it would do this magical transformation. D'oh!

mnem
 :=\

Nah, the firmware is held in a Dallas battery-backed NVRAM chip.
I needed firmware 5.3e according to Tek literature, which I have now as of last night, so this scope is now completely maxxed out with ALL the things!
I was hoping to uncover some tasty software on the HDD once I re-soldered that IDE connector pin, but no such luck.

I have my eye in a TDS784D scope with HDD option at the moment, so fingers crossed that one wasn't wiped to the point of no return too...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf