Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18113436 times)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #116700 on: March 31, 2022, 10:48:16 am »
I decided that I didn't want to drive to the far side of London.
The items I was considering are still no bids.....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #116701 on: March 31, 2022, 11:05:19 am »
...Pat's a wee bit braver than I am, applying line voltage to that mess... or maybe he's just gotten to a point where he has no fear of The Reaper:-DD

mnem

It's not quite so bad in person as it appears in the pics, and I bring everything up on a Sencore Powerite II while closely monitoring the input voltage and current, and it's fused.  It always stayed well under (less than half) of what the instrument is fused at, so I figure it's safe enough as I'm right there keeping an eye on it until it gets some operating time on it.

-Pat
Yeah, sometimes  I forget you're on this side of the pond and have the 1/2-size angry pixies like me.  :-DD

I guess the paranoia from t'other side o' th' pond has infected me a wee bit too... or maybe it's having seen the cloth/BX wiring in this very house.  :-//   Like (I think it was Mans or Z...?) said: It's good until it isn't. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116702 on: March 31, 2022, 11:07:45 am »
My 7E watchlist is going out of budget.  Doubt I will bid any of them. 

Oh well.  I need a car more than a need any of this.

Get the fuck out of my browser history, you sneaky bastard!!!    :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116703 on: March 31, 2022, 11:17:42 am »
The MRI scanner threw a gradient amplifier rack fault  about the same time as bidding ended on my watched lots.     Saved by the fault.

Looks like good deals to be had on the Pelican cases if you can collect them.     I'm not about to spend 8 hours on the train although carrying 4 or 5 of them back would be comical.    Or I'd get stopped by the police.  They would attract attention.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116704 on: March 31, 2022, 11:29:17 am »

Tek 2465b £440 (+15%+VAT)

$ dc
440 440 .15 * + d .2 * + p

+ collection or shipping cost.

That is about the same as a brand new Siglent SDS-1204XE.    :-//

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116705 on: March 31, 2022, 11:47:28 am »
I paid a bit less than half that for my 2467B !!!  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116706 on: March 31, 2022, 12:15:17 pm »
7904 update: Scope has been on for over 4 hours. The entire cabinet is cool to the touch. All previous hot spots are gone. The large PSU heat sink on the back of the scope is warm, but not hot.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.  :P :-DD
Did you use both the Dell fans as they're thermally controlled? How's the noise level?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116707 on: March 31, 2022, 12:20:51 pm »
I just can't hide it any longer... All those pics of 7000 series scopes and their plugins!  It's just too much.

I want one.

What do you want? A scope mainframe?   A plugin?   Both?   Which model?   Which module(s)?

Questions over questions ...  :-DD

You should be a little more specific if you want us to advise enable you adequately.   ;D
  There... FTFY.    >:D

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:24:07 pm by mnementh »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116708 on: March 31, 2022, 12:22:36 pm »
I didn't want to make it that obvious.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #116709 on: March 31, 2022, 12:23:50 pm »

Tek 2465b £440 (+15%+VAT)

$ dc
440 440 .15 * + d .2 * + p

+ collection or shipping cost.

That is about the same as a brand new Siglent SDS-1204XE.    :-//

Well, yes.

I did flog a 2445B to someone, even though a 2465 was also available. They wanted it because they were familiar with it and some test procedures used it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116710 on: March 31, 2022, 12:26:19 pm »
7904 update: Scope has been on for over 4 hours. The entire cabinet is cool to the touch. All previous hot spots are gone. The large PSU heat sink on the back of the scope is warm, but not hot.

Did you use both the Dell fans as they're thermally controlled? How's the noise level?

mnem

No, just one on the CRT side. And it's not gonna get hot enough to go into turbo mode. Very minimal noise level.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116711 on: March 31, 2022, 12:27:18 pm »
Why...? Did you suddenly forget where we are...?  :o

mnem
In case you haven't noticed... subtlety often does not work well in this space. :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116712 on: March 31, 2022, 12:34:44 pm »
My roof, yesterday morning  ;)

They assist also to get a permit.... I did not know you need a permit to put solar panels on the roof.
Saskia, yes we should buy an island and do finally what we want. Soooo annoying.

Here a video I liked it...

am a commissioner in my municipality........and getting permits is still a pain in the ass. 

being friends with the local code enforcement officer does not help......it just means he has more opportunities to inspect my stuff for violations.

i consider myself "part of the problem".   tried to resign the commission but the chairman of the governing body asked me to stay until they could find a replacement.  that was a year and a half ago.

can not figure out how to piss them off enough to get fired.

free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116713 on: March 31, 2022, 12:37:29 pm »

mnem

No, just one on the CRT side. And it's not gonna get hot enough to go into turbo mode. Very minimal noise level.
Good deal. I'll have to look and see how many more of those I have left; I may have a enough to share with fellow TEA members when "the great cull" begins. IIRC, I murdered a couple of them making this. :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to kick a Acer in the balls*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116714 on: March 31, 2022, 12:40:53 pm »
...am a commissioner in my municipality...   and getting permits is still a pain in the ass.  being friends with the local code enforcement officer does not help...   it just means he has more opportunities to inspect my stuff for violations.   i consider myself "part of the problem".   tried to resign the commission but the chairman of the governing body asked me to stay until they could find a replacement.  that was a year and a half ago.

Installing a couple roofs' worth of solar panels without permits ought to work...  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116715 on: March 31, 2022, 12:50:29 pm »

Get creative. Shit in his sun roof.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116716 on: March 31, 2022, 01:05:03 pm »
Why...? Did you suddenly forget where we are...?  :o

mnem
In case you haven't noticed... subtlety often does not work well in this space. :-DD

Some people:

Other people:

;D ;D ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116717 on: March 31, 2022, 01:19:53 pm »
I literally possess both those, the exact model of micrometer, and a shorter version of the 4lb lump hammer. Draw whatever conclusion amuses/entertains/terrifies you most...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #116718 on: March 31, 2022, 01:41:54 pm »
I literally possess both those, the exact model of micrometer, and a shorter version of the 4lb lump hammer. Earth Spike Fitting Tool Draw whatever conclusion amuses/entertains/terrifies you most...

There, FTFY.

HTH, HAND.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116719 on: March 31, 2022, 01:44:56 pm »
What I can do / afford for now (barely...) , is buy a new can of contact cleaner to clean all those push buttons, as well as replace all the crappy black/red Sprague caps, and that ancient looking, paper shrouded " Cornell Dubilier " cap as well.....and see where that gets me. It needs to be done anyway, it's basic stuff. So let's do that first, and go from there...

Stay tuned....

Vince, I wouldn't automatically replace the red lettered Sprague caps - they are di-film and in my experience (and from things I've read online) likely good.  The yellow lettered ones are paper and almost always leaky.  The rule of thumb I use to remember is a twist on traffic lights - yellow means caution (leaky, replace on sight) and red is stop - don't replace unless found to be bad.

-Pat

Hmmm...didn't know that. I learned about these old caps 5 years ago on Carlson's YT channel, he just said to scrap them all, didn't talk about lettering colours.... or maybe he did and I don't remember it....
At that time I was working on my first glowing Teks scopes, and I kept running into the red ones being cracked, ballooned, or exploded, so I figured he was right about them.
But now that you are adding some nuance to the problem, I guess I should add that these failed only in one particular spot in the scopes : the HV oscillator circuit for the CRT, that drives the little CRT transformer. I don't recall seeing any bad red Sprague any where else in the scope. Only the CRT oscillator.... maybe this circuit stressed the caps too much and/or they were underspecced.

OK won't replace them for now... also because I have looked at them in more detail in the 180A, and realized that half of them are in the PSU section which I have tested good. the other half are in the divider chain, but only in the 6 slowest / last dividers, hence can't possibly explain why all the preceding / upstream dividers misbehave as well. Also I looked these caps in the schematics, and they are not used to couple the various stages, so even if they leaked DC, they would not cause havoc like they would in an audio amp.

So for now, I will leave them alone. Less work and less expense... I like that.

After a good night of sleep, I spent some hours thinking more about the situation... might not be as disastrous as it seems :
Now that I have replaced the dead tube, it looks like basically, out of 14 dividers / outputs, the first 3 basically work, well enough for now at least (stable picture on the scope, and period is correct, and markers amplitude is about "level" / constant, just tiny bit of "ripple"/undulation). However the next/fourth stage, all of a sudden is all over the shop both with period duration and marker amplitude...
So despite the fact that this stage and the remaining 10 stages behind it are misbehaving badly, hence it feels overwhelming... the fact is, it's just a long chain, it's simple in concept. So if the 4thy stage spits out garbage, next stage gets that in so of course is going to throw garbage out, next stage same things etc, the garbage introduced in the 4th stage just ripples all the way down the chain.

So, plan of attack is to completely ignore staged 5 to 14, and only concentrate on Stage 4, where the crap is being introduced, because as long as this is not fixed, clearly the other stages can not possibly work properly, and also.. with some luck stage 4 is the ONLY problem here and once fixed everything will suddenly start working good. If not, I will then just fixed the next stage, and the next, in order, until the entire chain works properly. But mass replacing tubes is not necessary I think, any more. At least not at this stage of the troubleshooting.

So, now that I have decided to put blinders and narrow it down to a single stage, the 4th one... I looked at the schematic in more detail. All stages are copy/paste. so studying one will be a good investment to help fix others stages later if need be.

Below an example schematic for one of the stages, they are all the same.
It does not look so complicated any more. I read bit the theory of operation as well.

So basically a stage is made of 3 tubes, all dual-something. So in total we have 6 elements : 2 diodes and 4 triodes.

There are one input and two outputs.  One output goes to the front panel for the user enjoyment. The other output is wired for internal use only. It's the one that triggers/feeds the next stage.
Each output has a cathode follower. So right there that's two of the triodes easily explained.
The two diodes are not essential to the understanding of the stage either.
No, the core of the business revolves only around the remaining two triodes (both part of the same tube).
This is all it takes to divide the frequency by N.

The manual explains how it wokrs. It's delightfully clever and simple, I love it.
Basically the triodes make up a monostable multivibrator.
It gets triggered by  a given pulse, say pulse #1, then it "runs" for a duration equivalent to 4 pulses, so it ignores them. Then it resets and starts all over again.
Genius...
So you get a simple RC network to set the duration of the monostable, hence set ' N '.
The trim pot I see ni all stages in the instrument is just that, it helps fine tune  the RC network.
Nice thing is, from what I understand, that although it is analog in design, it is perfectly accurate... it can't divide by any random number, 3.7 or 6.4 or whatever.
As long as you set the time constant ball park in between two pulses, to make sure it's unlikely to trigger unwillingly on the wrong/adjacent pulse, then all is well.
This means the trim pot doesn't even need to be set that accurately. So I am sure they are all just fine and the problem is not there. So I will not touch any of them for now, until proven otherwise.

So... that's it then. Let's start work on that 4th stage see if I can get it to work !    8)

Oh forgot. dirty switches are going to affect the operation of the chain, since the signal does not propagate through the switches, it's hard wired internally from one stage to the next. So, I don't even need to wait until I restock on contact cleaner to start working on the thing. I can just go right at it ! >:D

Stay tuned  8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116720 on: March 31, 2022, 02:08:17 pm »
Quick and dirty and you might get lucky. Swap out the tubes in stage 4 and stage 5 and see if the issue moves to stage 5.

If it does fix it my diagnostic fee is $85. If it doesn't fix then tuff shit and get troubleshooting.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116721 on: March 31, 2022, 03:01:08 pm »
My roof, yesterday morning  ;)

They assist also to get a permit.... I did not know you need a permit to put solar panels on the roof.
Saskia, yes we should buy an island and do finally what we want. Soooo annoying.

Here a video I liked it...

am a commissioner in my municipality........and getting permits is still a pain in the ass. 

being friends with the local code enforcement officer does not help......it just means he has more opportunities to inspect my stuff for violations.

i consider myself "part of the problem".   tried to resign the commission but the chairman of the governing body asked me to stay until they could find a replacement.  that was a year and a half ago.

Organise an Urban Golf tournament for beginners in a neighbourhood full of solar panels?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #116722 on: March 31, 2022, 03:01:26 pm »
Vince, given that one of the dual outputs is the output and the other triggers the subsequent stage, don’t forget to rule out the possibility that the problem may be in the stage three 'subsequent trigger' section, too - be sure the garbage isn’t originating in the last apparently 'working' stage.  It looks like a simple cathode follower circuit, but make sure it’s working correctly before possibly chasing your tail downstream.

-Pat
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 03:04:35 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116723 on: March 31, 2022, 03:01:42 pm »
I literally possess both those, the exact model of micrometer, and a shorter version of the 4lb lump hammer. Earth Spike Fitting Tool Draw whatever conclusion amuses/entertains/terrifies you most...

There, FTFY.

HTH, HAND.

Yerse... Typical of Canford to give a cheap tool a fancy name and then charge more for it. £13.91 ex VAT when you'll get the same in any hardware store for half the price.

There's an English idiom "to call a spade a spade" meaning to speak plainly without unnecessary embellishment of words such as calling a spade a "manual earth moving implement". It's often said of people too, "He's a man who'll call a spade a spade.", particularly of Northerners to imply a certain straightforwardness or forthrightness in speaking. My mother once said of my father (a Northerner) that he was indeed  a "man who'd call a spade a spade", to which my "Auntie" Joyce chipped in and said "He's more likely to call it a 'bloody shovel'".  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116724 on: March 31, 2022, 03:48:14 pm »

There, FTFY.

HTH, HAND.

Yerse... Typical of Canford to give a cheap tool a fancy name and then charge more for it. £13.91 ex VAT when you'll get the same in any hardware store for half the price.

There's an English idiom "to call a spade a spade" meaning to speak plainly without unnecessary embellishment of words such as calling a spade a "manual earth moving implement". It's often said of people too, "He's a man who'll call a spade a spade.", particularly of Northerners to imply a certain straightforwardness or forthrightness in speaking. My mother once said of my father (a Northerner) that he was indeed  a "man who'd call a spade a spade", to which my "Auntie" Joyce chipped in and said "He's more likely to call it a 'bloody shovel'".  :)
You can call me whatever you like, as long as it's not late to dinner. ;)

mnem
The shortest path to a man's heart is through his belly...

...and then a slight upward thrust with the blade.
>:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf