Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18111827 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #116675 on: March 30, 2022, 09:23:05 pm »
Vince, also have the lesser known llittle brother, the RM181...

http://www.tekscope-museum.de/museum/generators/generators.html

OH yes I know about it !

Actually it's the first time marker I learned the existence of, and found it so cute I wanted one, still do, badly. But will probably never find one. It's not like the y grew on tress in my neck of the woods.
So its big brother the 180A I got, is what I could lay my hands on... not as cute if I am honest, but it makes up for it with its OCXO and many output options. It's top notch in this regard.

It will keep me happy, but of course if I ever come across a RM181 some day, at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate one second  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #116676 on: March 30, 2022, 09:25:08 pm »
the assumed broken in transit unobtainium  unrepairable Revox B77 VUmeter just returned to life.
Zats good and bad news. good because of the unobtainium bit. bad because I now have to locate the where stuff went wrong elsewhere.

in other news some additional housewives stuff should arrive tomorrow. parts for the miter saw, bee wax for a didgeridoo mouth piece repair, a dot for fast target acquisition, etc.
emptied another 5 moving boxes today. still quite a few to go. Friday a roofer will come by and check the roof of our shack.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #116677 on: March 30, 2022, 09:48:51 pm »
Fluke 51 was reported by its main user, The Wife, to be out of battery. Yes, indeed, stone dead. Opened it up, revealing it is really half a Fluke 52.

But, the leaky bloc mafia has been here!

It cleaned up well, and was limited to the clip. No problems on PCB.

The battery was, indeed, spent. Beyond belief:

Battery replaced by a much more 9-voltish, meter returned to operation. Happy Wife.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116678 on: March 30, 2022, 09:49:03 pm »
update: Revox B77 issue located and fixed. B77 is running fine, sound quality excellent.
Now about attaching that external Dolby c Nr ....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #116679 on: March 30, 2022, 09:56:10 pm »
We once tried filters. That was circumvented. So, we're not running any filters at all, but instead we keep a continuous dialog on what is reasonable and sane, and what one ought not to visit, believe or desire.  It works. We have well informed children, who are online street smart to an extent; they've been fooled a couple times, with gaming accounts stolen. When that happens, we go all in in getting accounts back, and are so far 100% effective:  We keep track of in-game purchases, which is a very effective way to regain control. Afterwards, multi-factor authentication was implemented.

I let my daughter know that I could track her and block her - but never did. We tended to browse (etc) sitting back to back in the same room; nothing was hidden but there wasn't prying. Overall she has turned out well, and now has a poor opinion of where her mother gets her "information" from.

Kids have to learn about the real world, and I'd rather they did (most of!) it with adults around. Continually talking, discussing, examining, questioning is a good start.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116680 on: March 30, 2022, 10:00:32 pm »

Vince, good deal!  :-+ But obviously you can't expect it to be fully functional when you have a dead tube.  :-DD

Worked some more on it...

Checked the power rails.  ONCE AGAIN, the manual show the WRONG test points on the ceramic strip ! It is completely unreliable/useless. Had the same problem in the manual for my tpye 502A !
Why can't Tek freaking put arrows on a pictures on the correct terminals ?! Is it THAT HARD ?!  :wtf:

So instead I looked the power supply schematic to figure out by myself with 100% certainty where to probe....

All rails were well within spec. The -150V reference was at -150.9V. For the heck of it I adjusted the best I could. That would be -149.99V.
Ripple I did a quick check with a DMM, could not be bothered to look at it on the scope. First tried with my MX 56 DMM to get good accuracy, but its RMS converter is so freaking slow, takes at least 30 seconds, at least, to slowly converge to the correct value. Drives me nuts. So I resorted to using my Fluke 11 instead. Resolution only 1mV, but it's not RMS of course, so I could get instant readings at least, to keep my sanity. Its B/W is ridiculous of course, but for 120Hz ripple it does the job. No real need for a scope either... I mean it's not a SMPS with mega huge spikes all over the place... it's a linear supply, it's good enough measuring it with a DMM. At least to ballpark it. I multiply the DMM reading by about 3 to get an idea of the peak to peak value, since ripple in the manual of course is expressed peak to peak.

So, doing that... all rails are just fine, ripple well within spec. It's all a no brainer.  So the big filter can caps can stay for now. They are not causing my problems.

Then I replaced the dead / white tube. A 12AU7 it was. When I went to pull it, the glass envelope came right off !  :o  Had no glass left to speak off, to get a hold of the tube... so had to pry the remains out of the socket, using a small flat head screw driver...  :-//
While I was in there, I resocket every tube in the thing. Took a while, there are a ton of them...
One my 6 type 317 donated one of its two 12AU7...

Then I tested all the ranges again.
The few that (kinda) worked, still do. No better or worse. However I now have life in most other ranges (bar the 1 and 5s ones) !  :D
Very crude form of life, however : amplitude often extremely unstable, makes the signal look like a plot on a spectrum analyzer with tons of harmonics of random amplitude. Very funky.
Time wise it's very funky too, with periods being anything but they are supposed to be. Well, in most cases any way.

1ms setting gives 160us
5ms setting gives  6ms.
10ms gives 17ms.
50ms gives 80ms.
100ms gives 260ms.
500us, which used to give between 250 and 400us depending on mood, now gives only 80us, same as the 100us range.

It's baffling. It does not make sense... the OCXO runs fine, so you would think that the frequency dividers would give exact multiples of the OCXO period...  :-//
How can a flip-flop produce random divisions like that ?!  :palm:

So me thinks.. there is no flip-flop. Not enough tubes to implement flip-flops in there... so me think it might using this clever analogy "divide by N" trick, using just a few discrete analog components. We were discussing that about ancient counters some time ago. The divide by N functionality was achieved by using the time base pulse, of course of known shape/duration/amplitude, to charge a capacitor. After 'N' pulses charging the cap, it gets you to a known voltage level which you can detect using a comparator.

So maybe the Tek uses something along those lines, which would explain how the time intervals can be completely random and independent from one another.
I see that every range has a trim pot associated with it ! That further reinforces my theory.... I guess one can use it to adjust the analog divider to make it divide properly... I am sure all these trimmers are just fine. The problem is probably tired tubes.. they all look original, very filthy and dark... I fear in order to get proper operation on all ranges, I might have no choice but replace a bunch of them, which would make this restoration very expensive indeed... hence not going to happen in the near future.  :(

Will RTFM to learn all about it, but I think I might be on the right track here...

What I can do / afford for now (barely...) , is buy a new can of contact cleaner to clean all those push buttons, as well as replace all the crappy black/red Sprague caps, and that ancient looking, paper shrouded " Cornell Dubilier " cap as well.....and see where that gets me. It needs to be done anyway, it's basic stuff. So let's do that first, and go from there...

Stay tuned....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:05:56 pm by Vince »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #116681 on: March 30, 2022, 10:25:35 pm »
What I can do / afford for now (barely...) , is buy a new can of contact cleaner to clean all those push buttons, as well as replace all the crappy black/red Sprague caps, and that ancient looking, paper shrouded " Cornell Dubilier " cap as well.....and see where that gets me. It needs to be done anyway, it's basic stuff. So let's do that first, and go from there...

Stay tuned....

Vince, I wouldn't automatically replace the red lettered Sprague caps - they are di-film and in my experience (and from things I've read online) likely good.  The yellow lettered ones are paper and almost always leaky.  The rule of thumb I use to remember is a twist on traffic lights - yellow means caution (leaky, replace on sight) and red is stop - don't replace unless found to be bad.

Definitely clean the switch contacts - that may well help.

FWIW

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #116682 on: March 30, 2022, 11:37:13 pm »
Ugggh. trip to the DMV was a bust; as expected, honestly. You never get it all right the first visit.  |O

Currently reviewing vids of Keyboard R&R on the Acer. As expected, a .

mnem
*couch tuber time widda kids*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #116683 on: March 31, 2022, 01:02:15 am »
This thread could do with more sax and violins. >:D

Especially since it is Candy Dulfer.  She plays a mean sax and is quite easy on the eyes.  I have a CD of hers floating around here somewhere.  I am going to have to hunt it down and play it again.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #116684 on: March 31, 2022, 01:36:52 am »
Oh, I had a terrible crush on her in my 20s... she's the reason I bought muh Preacher. I soooo wanted to sit in on a set with her.  ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #116685 on: March 31, 2022, 01:38:04 am »
This thread could do with more sax and violins. >:D

Especially since it is Candy Dulfer.  She plays a mean sax and is quite easy on the eyes.  I have a CD of hers floating around here somewhere.  I am going to have to hunt it down and play it again.

Saw her play at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT about twenty-seven (yikes!!!) years ago - great show!

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #116686 on: March 31, 2022, 02:00:38 am »
My roof, yesterday morning  ;)

https://unboundsolar.com/solar-information/diy-solar

They assist also to get a permit.... I did not know you need a permit to put solar panels on the roof.
Saskia, yes we should buy an island and do finally what we want. Soooo annoying.

Here a video I liked it...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:06:13 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #116687 on: March 31, 2022, 02:08:19 am »
Oh, I had a terrible crush on her in my 20s... she's the reason I bought muh Preacher. I soooo wanted to sit in on a set with her.  ;)

mnem

To me nothing can beat a good Gibson SG.
God bless Australia for AC/DC
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116688 on: March 31, 2022, 02:08:46 am »
Question for the coax aficionados here...

I'm looking for a 36" BNC - BNC cable, low loss for calibrating my TDS scopes. I have some nice crimped RG58 cables I made with Canare connectors but is there any recommendations for other cables out there that are good quality and low loss, good for up to maybe just over 1GHz?
Also LLS195STR from Harbour Industries, RG-223 (double screen), RG-400 (PTFE, a bit stiffer), SUCOFLEX_103_E

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, TERRA Operative

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116689 on: March 31, 2022, 06:52:59 am »
My roof, yesterday morning  ;)

https://unboundsolar.com/solar-information/diy-solar

They assist also to get a permit.... I did not know you need a permit to put solar panels on the roof.
Saskia, yes we should buy an island and do finally what we want. Soooo annoying.

Here a video I liked it...

All in for it. I would need one that could take care of Hubby in case something went wrong. Currently there is a beautiful island in a Fjord near Bergen on the market. Unfortunately I am low on cash right now. If I had won the EuroMillions I would already have bought it.

See Vladi Private Islands for more info.
I was also considerung the newly found land, however having had considerable differences in opinion with most Canadians I have met in my life (and I am NOT referring to you folks on this forum) plus the remoteness of certain areas vs. the preposterous cost of living in others) I had decided against it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116690 on: March 31, 2022, 08:13:03 am »

I just can't hide it any longer....

All those pics of 7000 series scopes and their plugins!  It's just too much.

I want one.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #116691 on: March 31, 2022, 08:18:13 am »

I want one.

You want two, in case one breaks.  Makes for easier troubleshooting.   >:D >:D

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116692 on: March 31, 2022, 08:32:54 am »
I have a couple. Going cheap. Collection only from Cambridge UK

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116693 on: March 31, 2022, 08:53:18 am »

I want one.

Just in case one picture isn't enough.  :-DD

You're welcome.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116694 on: March 31, 2022, 09:06:56 am »
My 7E watchlist is going out of budget.  Doubt I will bid any of them. 

Oh well.  I need a car more than a need any of this.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116695 on: March 31, 2022, 09:52:01 am »

I want one.

What do you want? A scope mainframe?
A plugin?
Both?
Which model?
Which module(s)?

Questions over questions ...  :-DD

You should be a little more specific if you want us to advise you adequately.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:54:16 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116696 on: March 31, 2022, 09:58:55 am »

What do you want? A scope mainframe?
A plugin?
Both?
Which model?
Which module(s)?

Questions over questions ...  :-DD

You should be a little more specific if you want us to advise you adequately.   ;D

I don't want to speak for him but I suspect that since he is in Oz and apparently 7000 series stuff is not very common the correct answer would be "anything I can get my grubby hands on".  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116697 on: March 31, 2022, 10:16:34 am »
Pretty much!   ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116698 on: March 31, 2022, 10:25:49 am »
I'd like to say something with 4 bays - and at least that many modules.  I'd have to do a bit of research to come up with a list of modules ... but med hit the nail on the head with grabbing anything I came across, so putting a list together would just be a masochistic exercise in frustration.

500Mhz capability would be nice, but my needs are modest.  200MHz would cover them.   But if someone had a 1GHz box laying around ... I guess I could work with that.   ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #116699 on: March 31, 2022, 10:42:25 am »
My 7E watchlist is going out of budget.  Doubt I will bid any of them. 

Just so.

Tek 2465b £440 (+15%+VAT)
Tek 465b £50 (is asteonline one of the "off the wall" bidders?)
HP 54542A £196 (also asteonline, so perhaps not)

Fortunately I was only curious about the selling prices of those.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf