Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18114659 times)

Gertjan and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #116550 on: March 29, 2022, 07:05:00 am »
In order not to dry stiff, the clothes have to be moving constantly while drying; so windy days are the best. But hanging on a line, some parts of a garment move a lot and some barely at all. So there's always a stiff spot. Or three.

Experience here, where we dry all our clothes just by hanging them up in the bathroom and kitchen, says different. No significant air flow, no softener, no tumbling or anything like that and no stiff clothes once they've dried. We're not even in a soft water area, this is good old "Are you giving me a funny look" hard as nails London water.
I dunno what to tell you C... my experience differs. Maybe it was different locale, maybe a different idea of what's "cottony soft", maybe water with even more minerals in it than you suggest, tho I've had my share of line-drying in at least 3 different states in the US. :-//

Just... No, thank you.

Cheers,

mnem
OTOH, I suppose jeans you can bludgeon someone with might have some use... :o

SWMBO has a health problem which limits her mobility, so "Aaaayyyyiii! I am become Alice, keeper of house!!!
(OK, I know the original quote wasn't Lovecraft, but there is something Lovecraftian about it!)
 Anyhow, I now do the washing & stuff, & have not experienced the type of problems you have with outside drying.
Maybe it is the water hardness!

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116551 on: March 29, 2022, 07:05:59 am »
Not sure I understand how a SWMBO would be any different in this case, to being alone ? To you mean you talk to her about all the details of your TE repairs ? And she gives you technical advice ?!  :wtf:
That's one helpful SWMBO, indeed... but somehow I doubt this is the norm...

I have engaged the assistance of SWMBO for problem solving on more than one occasion - and it goes something like this.....

* I encounter a problem that I'm not making progress with
* I engage SWMBO in "conversation" (more like a monologue) in which I give detailed explanations.  She stands there politely.
* As I progress, another avenue of investigation - sometimes even a solution - becomes obvious
* I thank her for her help and dive back into the melee.

Later, when I emerge from my den, I sometimes ask her: "You didn't understand a thing I was talking about, did you?", to which she simply replies "Nope".  Sometimes it's just the process of laying out all the information to someone who doesn't know that leads us to see the bigger picture - because we were too focussed on specific details.

Yep,
I've done this too, "Hey just let me explain this to you, no response needed, just listen"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116552 on: March 29, 2022, 07:19:51 am »
I just start talking.  She knows what to do.  She knows me well enough.   ;D

As an example, I stopped off at Jaycar one late night shopping day and I called her to let her know I would be home a bit later.  One of the staff called out something to suggest I was at a bar.  She didn't believe them.  I told her I was in Jaycar ... that, she believed.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116553 on: March 29, 2022, 07:21:10 am »
Not sure I understand how a SWMBO would be any different in this case, to being alone ? To you mean you talk to her about all the details of your TE repairs ? And she gives you technical advice ?!  :wtf:

I have engaged the assistance of SWMBO for problem solving on more than one occasion - and it goes something like this.....

* I engage SWMBO in "conversation" (more like a monologue) in which I give detailed explanations.  She stands there politely.
* As I progress, another avenue of investigation - sometimes even a solution - becomes obvious

Later, when I emerge from my den, I sometimes ask her: "You didn't understand a thing I was talking about, did you?", to which she simply replies "Nope".  Sometimes it's just the process of laying out all the information to someone who doesn't know that leads us to see the bigger picture - because we were too focussed on specific details.

Yep,
I've done this too, "Hey just let me explain this to you, no response needed, just listen"
While a rubber duck works for that part just as well, the level of emotional support it offers afterwards is just not the same...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116554 on: March 29, 2022, 07:44:54 am »
@Vince

Next project

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/255457979028?hash=item3b7a7b6a94:g:d8IAAOSwHk9iQJUK

Merci  :P

Not sure what you mean ?

You want me to ship it to you ??

I guess I could do with a decent USB scope... but the price will skyrocket no doubt, for a defective unit that you do'nt know if it can be fixed, and I can'ty afford such a gamble, zero money for that kind of "project" at the moment  :(

It it stays at 50  or 60 Euro stops, might take that gamble, but we all know it will most likely sell for 100 Euros or much more than that... just looked the datasheet on Picoscope website, looks like a current product retailing at 1,500 Euros, so there is no way it will sell for 30 Euros on Ebay, with the inevitable bid war that will be going on....

But you never know, so just in case, I will be watching this ad ! .....

What I don't understand though, is that the datasheet claims it's a "no compromise" scope, yet I see it's only 8, whereas ity was my understanding that the main point/ benefit of USB scopes was their ultra high resolution, 16 bits or more, when a bench scope is typically still 8 bits today.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116555 on: March 29, 2022, 07:45:24 am »
Just because the Lady Cop and I don't live together doesn't mean we don't provide each other with encouragement and emotional support. We do. We are in regular contact via phone/text. Now while that doesn't take the place of face to face contact it works for us. For her it's usually the day to day BS of the job. You'd be surprised of some of the stupid crap that goes on in the NYPD. She will usually ask me what I'm working on. Now while she has no real concept of TE if I express to her that I'm working on something and I can't seem to fix it she knows exactly what to say. "You're a stubborn and pigheaded Irishman and I'm sure you'll figure it out". That's all the encouragement I need and she knows me too well.  ;D And sometime at a later date she'll ask if I fixed it. I'll say yes and she'll respond I knew you would.   :-+     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116556 on: March 29, 2022, 07:49:54 am »
Technically, the Proton Pack would have more in common with a hydrogen fuel cell. Radioactive sources produce free neutrons, not protons...

Well, in this case we do have a protonic reversal.
And in the worst case, we'll have this:

Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Peter Venkman: Why?
Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Egon Spengler: Try to image all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Raymond Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. Alright, important safety tip. Thanks Egon.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116557 on: March 29, 2022, 07:50:15 am »
TE incoming      

This was mentioned, by specmaster I think AVGresponding :  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-61-Leakmeter-/373981737310

I went for it as if it does still have the radioactive source in it I know how to deal with it. And i was cheap  ;D
Hey... I think I saw that thing just recently... *sound of muffled grunting and ruffling through papers*

Oh, yeah... here it is...

mnem
"Don't cross the streams. That would be... bad."

Technically, the Proton Pack would have more in common with a hydrogen fuel cell. Radioactive sources produce free neutrons, not protons...

No neutrons from the source in this. Just weeny 17 keV electrons (Beta particles). These are stopped by 0.1mm of plastic so hard to detect. It is a signficant inhalation hazard if corroded though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116558 on: March 29, 2022, 08:13:28 am »
Rant mode on :rant:

I've said before and I'll say it again. People suck. I wake up early so at 3 AM I go to do laundry. What do I find in our communal laundry room? Our single washer completed cycle with wet clothes in it. The dryer full of COLD clothes which indicates it's been off for hours. Obviously some individuals think this laundry room is just for them to use and tie up as they see fit. Well I'm sure, and I hope, they will be pissed off when they find their laundry removed from both machines and tossed into a chair. Actually they are lucky I don't throw it on the floor. Assholes.  |O

Rant mode off

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116559 on: March 29, 2022, 09:15:01 am »
Leave a note on the chair : " Next time I will put that straight into the garbage container ! "  8)

Take a few pics of his clothes so you can identify him/her next time  8)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116560 on: March 29, 2022, 11:07:33 am »
Long story short, I can't imagine what happened in your car, but if it is not gone, I would not think about it too much.

No worries, it had already fixed itself. I was just curious and spotted an opportunity to if see if there was any substance in my guesses.

PS: you are a smart guy...

An ODB to wired ethernet adapter? That's a slightly terrifying prospect. It's bad enough needing a 'clean' VLAN for the home entertainment/IOT stuff and hefty firewall rules to keep their excesses in check, creating one to plug your car's ODB port into takes it to a whole new level. On the other hand, that's under half the price of most of the Bluetooth ODB adaptors that I've seen previously - sehr cheap.

Would it let me charge the car using power over ethernet?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #116561 on: March 29, 2022, 11:14:39 am »
@Vince

Next project

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/255457979028?hash=item3b7a7b6a94:g:d8IAAOSwHk9iQJUK

Merci  :P
https://www.picotech.com/download/datasheets/PicoScope520x-datasheet.pdf

250mhz, 1Ghz/S sampling, 32 megasample record length... waitaminnit; :wtf: does that mean in normal scope terms? Is that 32 million datapoints, or 32 million sampling sweeps at 8 bits resolution? 

At that low a entry price tho, even the cheap-arse dwagon is tempted... even including $60 shipping to the US.

Even if I never used the scope itself, the AWG functions are pretty damn good for that little money.

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116562 on: March 29, 2022, 11:22:27 am »

I've said before and I'll say it again. People suck. I wake up early so at 3 AM I go to do laundry. What do I find in our communal laundry room? Our single washer completed cycle with wet clothes in it. The dryer full of COLD clothes which indicates it's been off for hours. Obviously some individuals think this laundry room is just for them to use and tie up as they see fit. Well I'm sure, and I hope, they will be pissed off when they find their laundry removed from both machines and tossed into a chair. Actually they are lucky I don't throw it on the floor. Assholes.  |O

Rant mode off

To be more charitable, perhaps someone was doing the same as you - washing late at night to avoid the rush - and just went upstairs while they were waiting for the cycle to finish and fell asleep in their chair. No less inconvenient for you, but perhaps less inconsiderate on their behalf.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116563 on: March 29, 2022, 11:25:05 am »
did anyone else just see "ONLINE" show up in front of usernames........and then it disappeared?
free range primate

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116564 on: March 29, 2022, 11:26:59 am »
did anyone else just see "ONLINE" show up in front of usernames........and then it disappeared?

That happens when the graphic (little green/white box) before your name hasn't downloaded fast enough.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116565 on: March 29, 2022, 11:29:35 am »
Prototyping, next level: the Voltera V-One PCB printer

https://www.voltera.io/product/pcb-printer

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116566 on: March 29, 2022, 11:31:51 am »

That happens when the graphic (little green/white box) before your name hasn't downloaded fast enough.

McBryce.

thanks!   so it was just me.  glad to know i do not need to go talk it over with myself.....or swmbo.

free range primate

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #116567 on: March 29, 2022, 11:54:42 am »

Mrs. GreyWoolfe just smiles and nods.  I know that this is the equivalent of our Australian Sheppard mix cocking her head from side to side.  Doesn't matter if I am trying to resolve a problem or something has gone the way I want it to, same reaction, just like the Sheppard.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116568 on: March 29, 2022, 11:58:04 am »

Rant mode off

To be more charitable, perhaps someone was doing the same as you - washing late at night to avoid the rush - and just went upstairs while they were waiting for the cycle to finish and fell asleep in their chair. No less inconvenient for you, but perhaps less inconsiderate on their behalf.

Plausible, but highly unlikely since (A)....it has happen before, and (B).....there have been cases where someone puts in a load of wash in the morning or that same individual who left it in all night GOES TO WORK leaving it in there all day.  ::)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #116569 on: March 29, 2022, 11:59:23 am »
An ODB to wired ethernet adapter? That's a slightly terrifying prospect. It's bad enough needing a 'clean' VLAN for the home entertainment/IOT stuff and hefty firewall rules to keep their excesses in check, creating one to plug your car's ODB port into takes it to a whole new level. On the other hand, that's under half the price of most of the Bluetooth ODB adaptors that I've seen previously - sehr cheap.

It's not to connect the car to the internet or any other sort of network.... (technically you could but it is not useful or necessary....), but to connect the car to your laptop  8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:01:03 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116570 on: March 29, 2022, 12:07:36 pm »

It's not to connect the car to the internet or any other sort of network.... (technically you could but it is not useful or necessary....), but to connect the car to your laptop  8)

I have a program called "OBD Wiz" which has a OBD port cable to USB. It's a fairly simple program that I can use to read out trouble codes and can display some vehicle function. But it cannot directly control nor change parameters in the ECU except perform a trouble code reset. 

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116571 on: March 29, 2022, 12:12:25 pm »
TEA Delivery!
Two badly packed items from north of the border. mind you less than £20 the pair including shipping :-\
First the Lakeshore temperature controller.
It's not the unit in the listing. completely different case (actually nicer). Back panel stoved in. Aluminium shield unde aluminium case cover.
This was bought for parts so good to see most of the ICs are socketed. There is a fairly rare LM317HVK in there too. These run about £50 each if you want a new one  :scared:
Anoter oddity is there im a memorium on the PCB.
Not looked at the Leak Meter in detail but it looks like the source is in there but the external warning label has been removed. No Argon bottle unfortunatly.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116572 on: March 29, 2022, 12:22:53 pm »
Dood... I just wanna restore the effing thing so I can flip it for a quick C-note or so profit. Have mercy.
In that case, as you were. But lose it fast and avoid contamination...

Sadly, my compulsion to "not sell a complete POS" (okay, laugh all you want at the irony of selling a laptop with Win10 Home in this context) means that part of my triage routine is to use a machine as my daily driver for a few days before I call it good.

Obviously, I don't flip PCs for a living or that would quickly go bye-bye. ;)

mnem
*irreversibly contaminated since the turn of the millenium*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116573 on: March 29, 2022, 12:52:32 pm »
I've been looking at the plug-in card in the Lakeshore DRC-91C temperature controller. its clearly a 16 bit ADC with optically isolated serial data output. It appears noise was a concern in the design of this kit.

P.S. Found the user manual complete with schematics  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:01:25 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116574 on: March 29, 2022, 01:08:14 pm »

I'm guessing this is just a ethernet x-over cable connected to pins in the OBDII interface that BMW has reserved for a embedded webserver in the ECM?

That would eliminate the whole "does this software work" and "will it connect this time" assache of most consumer-level OBDII interfaces. It also means that every new revision of FW and even new cars can always be assured of having exactly the level of customer access that BMW deems acceptable. 

As a car-nerd, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that.   :-\

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 04:08:54 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf