Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16960050 times)

Swaroop 21 and 112 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #116225 on: March 24, 2022, 08:24:20 pm »
Mnem, people keep asking you not to post off topic political stuff and you continue to do so. What makes you so important that you can ignore repeated requests and the forum rules? On this occasion you were again asked by Mounty and you flat out refused. The only reason we keep revisiting this subject and keep wasting time on it is that you do not have the good grace to stop doing it, but instead act like you're entitled to ignore the rules that the rest of us obey and whine if anyone tells you off about it.

Wait a minute, back up the bus. How come when I made the same request about political discussions several months back I got dog piled. And you were the lead dog. Some nonsense that this wasn't my personal blog and I couldn't determine what was or was not acceptable. Exactly the same as you typed here. And yet when Mounty makes the same request you support him? What am I? Chopped liver? And then, several weeks ago when I made a somewhat political comment you jumped in my shit to remind me to practice what I preach.  :wtf:

As far as what mnem posted...I agree. That crap doesn't belong here. We ALL are informed as to what is going on in the world right now. I come here in TE to get away from it. All I have to do is flip my screen and there it is in all it's ugliness.   

Perhaps I've come to agree more with you that the margin for tolerance has to be narrower than I thought; certainly where the words "Russian" or "Ukraine" come into it without even the flimsiest relation to electronics. (See the discussion of Neon supplies for semiconductor manufacture as a counter example). As I said, I'm not for zero tolerance where the discussion is justified and kept civilised and non-doctrinaire. You can't discuss electronics and the related supply chains without geopolitics raising its head, absolutely unavoidable; and I'm also cognisant that a certain freewheeling nature os what gives the TEA topic it's flavour.

Also I'm in favour of consensus. From what I remember of that particular conversation you were rather trying to be the sole arbiter of what was or was not acceptable, I was not the only one saying so. Why I'm telling Mnem off here is his flat refusal to listen to Mounty when posting something ab initio off topic, not even tangentially related to electronics, and inescapably political in the current situation. And you got told off for a similar sin, posting something political out of the blue, not even as a follow on to another post, and you being the chief moaner on the subject didn't have a leg to stand on, and you know it.

And no, you're not chopped liver. Even at your worst, you aren't that disgusting.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116226 on: March 24, 2022, 08:25:24 pm »
Tek 321A on ePay in the UK, set to max intensity as usual.  :palm: And no picture to show if the mains connector is present or bodged like my 321.

I call bullshit.  :bullshit: He claims tested but he didn't test squat. It's showing classic symptom of tin whisker short of one of the 2N2207's in the sweep circuit.

Ask me how I know this?  ::)

How did you work that out, was it the dual trace? Can't tell much else as the, intensity, focus, astig controls are all turned up to 11.  :-BROKE
The average trader on ePay has no clue how to even operate TE, let alone test it properly, or set it up to show it functioning, the seller of this 321A is no exception. 

David

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #116227 on: March 24, 2022, 08:28:27 pm »
And no, you're not chopped liver. Even at your worst, you aren't that disgusting.
:o
Lambs fry is yummy.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #116228 on: March 24, 2022, 08:30:40 pm »
I can see. And I have done so. Show me the "Rules" you claim to refer to, and where my post breaks them.

Here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-rules-please-read/

specifically:
5) This is an electronics forum, so try to stay on-topic. We understand that threads drift off-topic, but try not to start deliberately and grossly off-topic stuff.
There are a couple of pet topics that always get out of control on forums, namely, religion, politics, gun and conspiracy theories. They are not welcome here.
Those who come here to mostly only contribute non-electronics related material are not welcome. There are forums for that stuff, this is not one of them.

You explicitly agreed to obey them when you signed up. We all did.

Even if keeping off politics was not part of the formal forum rules, common courtesy when everybody says "no politics, please stop it" would be to either stop it or go and find somewhere else to play where people aren't repeatedly asking you to knock it off, not argue the toss every time. Most people who are politely asked to keep off politics either wander off, or shut up, refrain from doing so in future, and, more often than not, apologise for overstepping the line.

I can tell you from watching it happen in front of me, that the moderators are taking a zero tolerance attitude towards anything vaguely political related to Russian/Ukraine at the moment.
Again: World events, NOT Politics. No matter how many times you say it is, that doesn't change the facts. Added to the fact you're literally making a positional flip-flop from earlier arguments, I can only assume you're really couldn't care less about the issue at hand... as we've seen before, you are just in it for the argument.

Furthermore, the issue I attempted to illuminate is a financial aspect of the Ukraine situation that directly affects every ordinary citizen's personal finances, and the impact on shipping and finance directly affects availability & cost of the TE we discuss in here.

You have now spent literally half a page berating me for something I did not do. But hey; that's how you always do it, C. You redefine the narrative, then argue against that narrative as if it had anything to do with what is actually going on.

Cheers,

mnem
You bore me.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:33:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #116229 on: March 24, 2022, 08:32:15 pm »
Children, please all get on the same page, this is TEA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116230 on: March 24, 2022, 08:37:32 pm »

Gee, thanks. I'll have to try harder next time to be totally disgusting.

:palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116231 on: March 24, 2022, 08:43:49 pm »
Tek 321A on ePay in the UK, set to max intensity as usual.  :palm: And no picture to show if the mains connector is present or bodged like my 321.

I call bullshit.  :bullshit: He claims tested but he didn't test squat. It's showing classic symptom of tin whisker short of one of the 2N2207's in the sweep circuit.

Ask me how I know this?  ::)

How did you work that out, was it the dual trace? Can't tell much else as the, intensity, focus, astig controls are all turned up to 11.  :-BROKE
The average trader on ePay has no clue how to even operate TE, let alone test it properly, or set it up to show it functioning, the seller of this 321A is no exception. 

David

I noticed the dual trace too and I don't know what's up with that. It's a single trace scope. Must be noise or something in the vertical. Found the sweep issue by following the ramp trace. And the offending 2N2207 had one leg tin whisker shorted by a high resistance to the case and the case was grounded to the frame. I tried blasting the short with a capacitor and surprisingly it did work for a few minutes then it shorted again.   

The following users thanked this post: factory, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116232 on: March 24, 2022, 08:48:18 pm »
Anyone looking for a HT PSU? Farnell E350 from CDL.

Tempted. Sadly, the seller doesn't ship to Germany.
Would be ideal for tinkering around with vacuum tubes.

Doesn't ship anywhere outside the UK, if your interested I could forward it to you, but I've no idea how much it would cost to ship (bought mine locally, not on ePay).

Don't think I've seen any diagrams for the older variant of the Farnell E350, it might be like mine with the circuit boards underneath (early) or later with the board above the chassis, diagrams can be found for the later one.
Note: It's not possible to upgrade to 200mA without replacing the transformer, someone on the UK radio forum took measurements & they used a larger transformer.

Some pictures of mine taken years ago, still not had that wax cap replaced.

Later version (not mine).

David
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:56:59 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, salvagedcircuitry, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116233 on: March 24, 2022, 08:50:46 pm »

Oh, please no... not Octogenarian Stripper or... *gulp* Booty-Fab Tektronix Fan (the other one ;))   :scared:

mnem
*runs away and hides*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116234 on: March 24, 2022, 08:59:08 pm »

You mean, you will do two ropes at the same time?  ???  ;D  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #116235 on: March 24, 2022, 09:12:07 pm »
would he not have to split something to do that ? no, I do not want to know.
currently looking for a new GPU. I think a H100 might be nice, have requested a quote ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #116236 on: March 24, 2022, 09:12:18 pm »

No, three.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116237 on: March 24, 2022, 09:16:03 pm »
I can see. And I have done so. Show me the "Rules" you claim to refer to, and where my post breaks them.

Here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-rules-please-read/

specifically:
5) This is an electronics forum, so try to stay on-topic. We understand that threads drift off-topic, but try not to start deliberately and grossly off-topic stuff.
There are a couple of pet topics that always get out of control on forums, namely, religion, politics, gun and conspiracy theories. They are not welcome here.
Those who come here to mostly only contribute non-electronics related material are not welcome. There are forums for that stuff, this is not one of them.

You explicitly agreed to obey them when you signed up. We all did.

Even if keeping off politics was not part of the formal forum rules, common courtesy when everybody says "no politics, please stop it" would be to either stop it or go and find somewhere else to play where people aren't repeatedly asking you to knock it off, not argue the toss every time. Most people who are politely asked to keep off politics either wander off, or shut up, refrain from doing so in future, and, more often than not, apologise for overstepping the line.

I can tell you from watching it happen in front of me, that the moderators are taking a zero tolerance attitude towards anything vaguely political related to Russian/Ukraine at the moment.
Again: World events, NOT Politics. No matter how many times you say it is, that doesn't change the facts. Added to the fact you're literally making a positional flip-flop from earlier arguments, I can only assume you're really couldn't care less about the issue at hand... as we've seen before, you are just in it for the argument.

Furthermore, the issue I attempted to illuminate is a financial aspect of the Ukraine situation that directly affects every ordinary citizen's personal finances, and the impact on shipping and finance directly affects availability & cost of the TE we discuss in here.

You have now spent literally half a page berating me for something I did not do. But hey; that's how you always do it, C. You redefine the narrative, then argue against that narrative as if it had anything to do with what is actually going on.

Cheers,

mnem
You bore me.

The thing is, that people don't want to hear about it in here. That's all. It seems that you are incapable of hearing that, no matter how many times you are politely asked. Your rudeness at flatly refusing to listen to Mounty's request is the only thing that prompts me to try and get you to listen.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116238 on: March 24, 2022, 09:18:14 pm »

Wanna buy some shares in the Chatham Docks rope factory?  :)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #116239 on: March 24, 2022, 09:19:51 pm »

• Chopped, then mixed (to a sludge!), chicken liver is a fundamental ingredient in my take on Bolognese pasta sauce.
  • Much to my surprise, I enjoyed a calf liver Anglais (quickly fried, garnished with crisp bacon and capers) a couple weeks ago.

TE content: Did not buy a [hp] VHF signal gen today. My snipe was sniped.

I will prevail, though. “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #116240 on: March 24, 2022, 09:27:11 pm »

There is something about Mary med6753:
https://youtu.be/GHxzoNq_rzg

:scared:  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #116241 on: March 24, 2022, 09:27:59 pm »
bought a Bosch blue saber saw (reciprocating) for 25€ yesterday.  Still waiting for availability of the Kapex. will reorganize the rooms under the roof and picked up my 2.9 kW air conditioning unit today. cost: 249 pesos ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116242 on: March 24, 2022, 09:28:16 pm »
Guys, lets not get into this too deeply, shall we. Are we not all supposed to be grown-ups and can act as our own censor, if you don't agree with what anyone posts, ignore it, just as you would do anything else, be in the news, a magazine or newspaper.

I don't see any really heavy political discussions here, nor do I see anything particularly gun related, but there are very often posts that mention guns or 50 grams of C4, missiles etc, but I don't see anyone griping about that.

Likewise, there are often chats about cars, coffee, woodworking, all kinds of machinery, planes (hell I'm guilty of that one), computer programming, cooking, boating, building and even chemistry and other diverse topics. Some of these I find interesting and others not, what I do, use my brain to decide what I want to read and those I don't, I just move on. I'm big enough and ugly enough to be able to decide that for myself without busting anyone's balls over it, let's be sensible and accept that we are all different and lets treat each other with respect and understanding and move on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:20:15 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116243 on: March 24, 2022, 09:35:49 pm »

• Chopped, then mixed (to a sludge!), chicken liver is a fundamental ingredient in my take on Bolognese pasta sauce.
  • Much to my surprise, I enjoyed a calf liver Anglais (quickly fried, garnished with crisp bacon and capers) a couple weeks ago.

TE content: Did not buy a [hp] VHF signal gen today. My snipe was sniped.

I will prevail, though. “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

The chopped liver in question is the Jewish staple. I'm pretty unfazed by messy, even apparently yucky, foods, but the chopped liver sold by Kosher butchers and in the supermarkets fits my definition of "I've seen it, I don't think I want to eat it". I grew up in a town with a large Jewish population, so I've seen a lot of it. I happily eat liver pate or a well cooked calve's liver (they used to do a very good one at my favourite Italian restaurant) but I draw the line at chopped liver (and gefilte fish).

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116244 on: March 24, 2022, 09:40:21 pm »
Apparently those diodes are Lucas type DD006 & DD058 and they still work.  ;D

http://www.wylie.org.uk/technology/semics/Lucas/Lucas.htm

David
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:42:42 pm by factory »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #116245 on: March 24, 2022, 09:49:23 pm »

The chopped liver in question is the Jewish staple. I'm pretty unfazed by messy, even apparently yucky, foods, but the chopped liver sold by Kosher butchers and in the supermarkets fits my definition of "I've seen it, I don't think I want to eat it". I grew up in a town with a large Jewish population, so I've seen a lot of it. I happily eat liver pate or a well cooked calve's liver (they used to do a very good one at my favourite Italian restaurant) but I draw the line at chopped liver (and gefilte fish).

Ah, of course. The chicken liver I mention is added as a yummying agent to a mincemeat sauce. Does only register as a "more meaty" taste.  Even the liver-haters here like it.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116246 on: March 24, 2022, 09:51:34 pm »
After 3 years suffering with the crappy 4G internet box that never worked..... a year after having installed the copper lines in my new house.... today I finally have ADSL working, a WIRED connexion, none of the 4G rubbish ! A technician came to see why the copper line didn't work last week when I received the ADSL box. He injected a signal o my end of the line in the house, then used a signal tracer/detector to "snif" the signal... 500mw down the road on top of a pole was a little junction box. My cable got in, got out of that box... but inside the box it was not connected... he fixed that. Came back the house to test the line... still no joy. Moved 2kms from my house, at the interconnect little building that feeds the entire village... found some shit in there, fixed that.. now it works.

The ADSL box has a little grapical LCD screen, so it can communicate with humna beings... a bit more vocal that old modems with just a few LEDs for sure...
There is a button to run a self-test. Did that. Box confirms it's now connected, and it gives measured download and upload speed : 30Mbps down, 4MBps up.

I connected to a couple 'speed tests" website at random, there are millions of them... ran the test half a dozen times on each... all tests are consistent, repeatable, both sides agree with each other and with the ADSL box auto-test....  30/10MBps and about 4Mbps up.

Ping time varies quite a bit but it's about 10/20ms. Not sure how good or bad it is. I don't do on-line games so don't care about silly low values. I just surg teh bweb and that's it...

I ma lucky my village can have VDSL2 rather than vanilla ADSL. Hence the 30MBps. With ADSL I would get 20Mbps tops in the best of cases which never happens. I once had a flat in town center, in a brand  new building.... and I got only 8Mbps because the ISP was capping it at that artificially / deliberately !!  |O :wtf:

I don't want to heat about your 10Gbps fiber crap that cost 5 Euros a month. A 30Mbps VDSL2 is penty enough for TEA and Youtube, don't need more.

I do notice though that TEA and Youtube is slow to load...I am starting to wonder if my 15 year old Core2Duao E8200 (2.66MHz 6MB of cache) is maybe having a hard time rendering the gigabyte of crap any website these days require just to display a pic or present you with a button or two to click on...
Maybe once I renew my computer web surfing will be responsive, we shall see.

Anyway, I am so glad I can send this horrible 4G box back the ISP. No more ugly box "decorating" the top of my computer case.
ADSL box is in the electrical cabinet, so invisible, and feeds the RJ45 cables that the house builder put here and there in the house.
A modern house it is... I like that. Clean, neat...

So now hopefully I should be able to click on Mansaxel smart phone 5MB 15MP cooking pics....Post some Mansaxel, let's see how it goes...

As for fiber, I have seen the cabinet dedicated to it 1+ kms from my house, at the very end of my street. Lots of fibers in there...
95% of the street now have fiber interconnet boxes mounted on the poles next to the houses along the street... so these people can now be connected.
But the last 5% still have no boxes on the poles... so no fiber for me for now. I guess / hope it will come soon enough. I am in no hurry, VDSL2 plenty good enough for me.

Also, just had my dad over the phone a minute ago, he got fiber some time ago now, and it's not all rosy. As nice fiber might be in ITSELF... it's only as good as the ISP is willing to make it.
For instance, my dad said that fiber is ultra mega, absurdingly fast in the morning, but in the evening it goes down to CRAP, even SLOWER than his old ADSL line ! :--
A friend who works for an ISP / Orange, told me all it's because of all the stupif people whi insist that their life depends on 4K and Netflix. Huge B/W required for that, everybody connecting at the same time in the evening... so the ISPs, all of them here, prioritze their B/W to serve all the Netflix and television / streaming services, to make sure they don't drop a frame or anything to make all the Tv and Series addicts happy... and the people surfing the web get whatever is left of the B/W.. ie. they get squat, way, way, wayyyyyy less than the high speed the y paid for and were promised !

So no, fiber does not impress me at all, because it's only as good as the ISP is willing to make it, and they have clearly decided they don't give a shit about internet.

So I think will just stay with my VDSL2 for now... won't last long though, as I understand the copper lines will be obsoleted in 2 or 3 years, at which point no land line no more, fiber or die, no choice  :palm:

Not very interesting I know, but still way more on topic than politics !  :-DD

The ADSL box has electronics in it at least, eh ! >:D

More gooder stuff to come soon, but tomorrow I think, too tired now, don't feel like it.

EDIT : no, TEA does seem to work faster when posting or modifying messages.... it's better no doubt.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116247 on: March 24, 2022, 09:54:52 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
You bore me.
The thing is, that people don't want to hear about it in here. That's all. It seems that you are incapable of hearing that, no matter how many times you are politely asked. Your rudeness at flatly refusing to listen to Mounty's request is the only thing that prompts me to try and get you to listen.
And you're still doing it.

Shockingly, just because it has the word "Ukraine" in it, does not necessarily make something a political comment. And "Some people do not want to see it in here" is not the same thing as "nobody in here wants to see it". A very noisy minority does not consensus make. Anybody who actually bothered to follow the link would understand what I was trying to inform folks about, and it is very obvious that my post was not trolling or intended to be inflammatory.

Also shockingly, the fellow you think that you're defending and I have spoken about this... he was much more concerned by the possibility of this thread getting locked than in any way offended. And the truth is... the fact you refuse to stop berating me about it is the single most likely cause of that happening right now.

Part of growing up is realizing we do not have right to go anywhere and expect not to see something that offends us. Put on your big boy pants and engage your personal content filter.

Cheers,

mnem
Tolerance is not just for what you like.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116248 on: March 24, 2022, 10:00:18 pm »
After 3 years suffering with the crappy 4G internet box that never worked..... a year after having installed the copper lines in my new house.... today I finally have ADSL working, a WIRED connexion, none of the 4G rubbish !

mnem
Welcome to the First World, Vince! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #116249 on: March 24, 2022, 10:07:10 pm »

A friend who works for an ISP / Orange, told me all it's because of all the stupif people whi insist that their life depends on 4K and Netflix. Huge B/W required for that, everybody connecting at the same time in the evening... so the ISPs, all of them here, prioritze their B/W to serve all the Netflix and television / streaming services, to make sure they don't drop a frame or anything to make all the Tv and Series addicts happy... and the people surfing the web get whatever is left of the B/W.. ie. they get squat, way, way, wayyyyyy less than the high speed the y paid for and were promised !

This is quite typical for southern Europe. As people, for various reasons, started to work from home a couple years ago, the ISP's in southern/central Europe discovered what careless oversubscription in backbone and distribution will do to your network when people actually insist on using it.

Some very instructive lessons were learned by all involved.

Up here, we mostly survived unscathed, for it was much better built. I was present at a "crisis" meeting of engineers from all the big ISP's and quite a few of the small ones when usage patterns really started to change. We concluded that our loads were all in all manageable. A bit more traffic in the day, some, but not much, cutting of peaks in the new-traditional "hot hours" from 19 to 23 at night, and no real problems.  Hardest problem was chipageddon, actually. (which is on-topic, so, there!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf