Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16693123 times)

TERRA Operative and 86 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #114650 on: March 01, 2022, 09:27:00 am »
The madness of it all. The Russians bought at least 2 fully optioned IBM Z13 mainframes. I happen to see the customer order. Right out in the open it said "Russian Federation". No further comment.

and you did not build in a self destruct ?
sloppy ....

Back in antiquity, WW2 surplus military radios were everywhere, "cheap as dirt".

One ham found an unknown, unmarked, component in his latest "prize", & tried to work out what it was, to no avail..
Eventually, he took a photo & "snail mailed" it off to an electronics magazine, who "asked around".

It turned out it was a demolition charge!
Cue immediate "panic stations" amongst the surplus community.
it was quite safe, however, as even though the charge had inadvertently been forgotten, the activation circuit had been removed.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114651 on: March 01, 2022, 10:37:09 am »
The madness of it all. The Russians bought at least 2 fully optioned IBM Z13 mainframes. I happen to see the customer order. Right out in the open it said "Russian Federation". No further comment.

sloppy ....

Back in antiquity, WW2 surplus military radios were everywhere, "cheap as dirt".

One ham found an unknown, unmarked, component in his latest "prize", & tried to work out what it was, to no avail..
Eventually, he took a photo & "snail mailed" it off to an electronics magazine, who "asked around".

it was quite safe, however, as even though the charge had inadvertently been forgotten, the activation circuit had been removed.

Removing the activation circuit does not make this sort of thing safe. Depending on the energetic materal used it can decompose over time and become so sensitve the slighest shock can detonate it. The purity of chemicals used in wartime can be less than optimal and even trace amounts of some elements can cuse unwanted effects over time.  There has been at least one case in the UK were a shed exploded due to one of these. Fortunatly the owner was not in it a the time. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:41:12 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114652 on: March 01, 2022, 11:39:07 am »

sloppy ....

Removing the activation circuit does not make this sort of thing safe. Depending on the energetic materal used it can decompse of time and become so sensitve the slighest shock can detonate it. The purity of chemicals used in wartime can be less than optimal and even trace amounts of some elements can cuse unwanted effects over time.  There has been at least one case in the UK were a shed exploded due to one of these. Fortunatly the owner was not in it a the time.

Thanks for that.
Your comment reminded me that there was continuing discussion in the mag after the first article, & someone brought up exactly that point.

It also reminds me of a story my old Prospector Uncle told me many years ago.
An old mate of his had taken his own life.

My Uncle & another friend discovered him, & Unc volunteered to sit with the deceased as the other guy went to get a cop.
These old blokes were a bit cavalier about explosives, & whilst sitting there, he wasn't particularly surprised to see about half a dozen
"plugs of gelignite" (similar to "sticks of dynamite") in a open box under the bed.
Looking closer, he discovered they were "weeping" with definite tracks of nitroglycerin visible.  :scared:

Unc decided to wait outside! ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #114653 on: March 01, 2022, 11:56:49 am »

sloppy ....

Removing the activation circuit does not make this sort of thing safe. Depending on the energetic materal used it can decompse of time and become so sensitve the slighest shock can detonate it. The purity of chemicals used in wartime can be less than optimal and even trace amounts of some elements can cuse unwanted effects over time.  There has been at least one case in the UK were a shed exploded due to one of these. Fortunatly the owner was not in it a the time.

And when it is too big to be in a shed, and you can't think what to do with it....

"MoD reportedly warns of ‘mass damage and potential loss of life’ if ordnance on SS Richard Montgomery triggered"
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/30/navy-to-dismantle-sunken-warship-on-thames-holding-unstable-explosives
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #114654 on: March 01, 2022, 12:18:25 pm »
Analog computer time!

Why am I posting this here?
Because, it contains an oscilloscope (R&S RTB 2002)  ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, Mortymore, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114655 on: March 01, 2022, 01:11:09 pm »
Analogue computing is still very common in industrial controls, where it is used for a lot of process control in industry.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, FransW, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #114656 on: March 01, 2022, 01:28:30 pm »
Anyone want a Keithely 2001 with leaky caps and no VFD inverter? Comes with a bag of new caps.
Open to silly offers.

In other news, just walked across the kitchen floor and a tile cracked. Stood on the tile again and water cae through the crack  ???  :wtf:
Floor is lage stone tiles with electric underfloor heating in special rubberised adhesive on top of plywood flooring over a void.
We've had a lot of rain receently but no flooding.   :-//
I looked under the cabinets under the sink and by the dishwasher & washing machine. The tiles stop just under the cabinets.
And.. the plywood floor is soaking wet  :palm: :scared:
Looks like the water connection to the washing machine has had a slow leak which has saturated he plywood underfloor causing it to swell and crack the tiles. The whole floor will have to be ripped out and that means removing cabinets and appliances on 3 walls  :palm:
So off to call the insurance company.
Ugggh. The laundry room in this '20s-40s 2-story Colonial has similar damage; "classic" 12-in lino tiles over hardwood.  :palm:   

The tiles are shrunk/warped/curling up, but thankfully the floor long ago dried out and still solid as bedrock; when I rebuilt the washing machine I took no chances and replaced the drain pump with a brand-new Supco unit along with the other usual Calypso family wear items.

I can live with the ugly tile floor at least for now; definitely have higher priorities ATM.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114657 on: March 01, 2022, 02:04:30 pm »
From the THANK IFNI FOR SMALL FAVORS Dept...

Made an appointment yesterday for tomorrow to go to DMV and hopefully get the Saturn registered, plates, etc. After I had all that, and the paperwork filled out, discovered from a third party site that you have to have an emissions cert first. No, nothing in the "new residents, here's how you do this" pages on the DMV site made that in any way clear.

So, I go find a local garage which offers the service; very "interesting" in that the entire process is: You give them $20 cash and the keys to the car, they do their thing and give you a receipt. PERIOD.  :o

1/4 million miles, 23 years old, sitting in storage almost 3 years: Bump the key, it starts up, runs like a Seiko and all happy at the inspector's. Good for another 2 years; I literally spent more time worrying about it than it took to get it done.  :phew:

mnem
*knocks on wood*
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:06:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114658 on: March 01, 2022, 02:42:30 pm »
Analog computer time!

Why am I posting this here?
Because, it contains an oscilloscope (R&S RTB 2002)  ;D

Thanks for this... timing is excellent, as my son has been having trouble with his math classes due, IMO, to the same problem I had last time I went back to school: The subject is no longer "taught" by actual mathematics-minded people; it is entirely canned materials "presented in review format" as if you already know it by people who may or may not even understand all the concepts they are supposedly teaching. 

I'm going to set up a free account with this Brilliant.org website. If their approach helps him get a leg up, even a little bit, I'll gladly spring for the full subscription. :-+

mnem
*does not compute*
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:52:14 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114659 on: March 01, 2022, 03:07:48 pm »
Well, fuckadoodle. I subscribed to Brilliant.org over 6 years ago... and I have coursework history. Just one of those things that got backburnered into oblivion when I lost myself after mum died...  :o

mnem
another ghost in the machine...

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114660 on: March 01, 2022, 03:24:46 pm »
(...)
Thanks for this... timing is excellent, as my son has been having trouble with his math classes due, IMO, to the same problem I had last time I went back to school: The subject is no longer "taught" by actual mathematics-minded people; it is entirely canned materials "presented in review format" as if you already know it by people who may or may not even understand all the concepts they are supposedly teaching.  (...)
mnem
*does not compute*
One of my math teachers (actually mathematically minded and a good teacher as well) has "problem collections" on all the stuff he teaches on.
He always said "I can talk all day long, but you'll only learn by doing it over and over again by hand". While all other math teachers had us manually copy over & solve one problem at a time,
he gave pages and pages of problems on the subject with enough space to solve in between before hand to print out at home. Much quicker and tidier! Now the good part: he has his collections
online and if you ask nicely, he'll provide the answers as well. Even though he is at retirement age, he continues to teach and to update his teaching materials and website. A work of passion indeed!
https://www.bommi2000.de/mathematik/index.php

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #114661 on: March 01, 2022, 03:32:40 pm »
Eff. I have an Engineering Sample Board.
The Engineering Sample firmware is nowhere to be found.

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114662 on: March 01, 2022, 03:56:26 pm »
(...)
Thanks for this... timing is excellent, as my son has been having trouble with his math classes due, IMO, to the same problem I had last time I went back to school: The subject is no longer "taught" by actual mathematics-minded people; it is entirely canned materials "presented in review format" as if you already know it by people who may or may not even understand all the concepts they are supposedly teaching.  (...)
mnem
*does not compute*
One of my math teachers (actually mathematically minded and a good teacher as well) has "problem collections" on all the stuff he teaches on.
He always said "I can talk all day long, but you'll only learn by doing it over and over again by hand". While all other math teachers had us manually copy over & solve one problem at a time,
he gave pages and pages of problems on the subject with enough space to solve in between before hand to print out at home. Much quicker and tidier! Now the good part: he has his collections
online and if you ask nicely, he'll provide the answers as well. Even though he is at retirement age, he continues to teach and to update his teaching materials and website. A work of passion indeed!
https://www.bommi2000.de/mathematik/index.php
Oh dear... all the .PDFs are in Deutsche.  :o He is not so good with the translate-fu, and is already taking Español & Français; I fear it will break his fuzzy widdle brain.  :-DD

mnem
*sticks a pin in this for later*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114663 on: March 01, 2022, 03:58:55 pm »
Eff. I have an Engineering Sample Board.   The Engineering Sample firmware is nowhere to be found.

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh
I bet it's in a box with the appropriate programmer dongle.  :-DD

mnem
I would never admit to having done this; no, no, no... :P

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114664 on: March 01, 2022, 03:59:28 pm »

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Have you looked down the back of the sofa?  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #114665 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:25 pm »
Look what showed up today. My order from hvstuff.com. This order was originally placed on 21st December. Around the end of January I sent an inquiry about the order that was not answered. PayPal also sent an inquiry which also went unanswered so I was refunded full price and order cancelled. About a week and half later I get notification that the order shipped.

There was no invoice with the capacitors. As far as I'm concerned this is unsolicited goods and I'm under no obligation to pay for it and I have no intention of paying. The order was cancelled. They sent it anyway. That's the law and I always obey the law.  >:D ;)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114666 on: March 01, 2022, 04:12:50 pm »

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh
It could be already loaded, even if the manual states the contrary.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114667 on: March 01, 2022, 04:16:09 pm »
Nothing that hasn't happened in the past, I have a pair of 1960's Solartron voltmeters, one has a two pole connector & the other a three pole, not that this makes any difference to me at the moment as I have yet to find any connectors that fit, I'm hoping they were a standard part at the time.

David

Well these unobtainium connectors were definitely made by P.E.T. (Precision Electronic Terminations Ltd.), the LM1420.2 book I have in front of me, gives P.E.T. part no. 242/B/3 for the panel input socket (3 way), still no idea what the part no. for the test lead plug is though, it only quotes a Solartron number for that.  :--

Was hoping the LM1426 would have arrived by now, but I'm suspicious that it won't, seller claims it was collected a while back and if it still hasn't arrived tomorrow the seller will refund.  :(

David
Now you have done it. Brain frozen by shock.
I have never seen this connector before!
 :scared: :wtf:

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #114668 on: March 01, 2022, 04:23:17 pm »

And.. the plywood floor is soaking wet  :palm: :scared:
Looks like the water connection to the washing machine has had a slow leak which has saturated he plywood underfloor causing it to swell and crack the tiles. The whole floor will have to be ripped out and that means removing cabinets and appliances on 3 walls  :palm:
So off to call the insurance company.

Ouch!
Two years ago, I had a water damage in the house, also a slow leak, discovered after one or two weeks. One wall and part of the living room ceiling area soaked. Insurance company sent their own handymen services, they appeared quickly and did their job in a professional way, I was quite happy with this service.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114669 on: March 01, 2022, 04:28:46 pm »
Look what showed up today. My order from hvstuff.com. This order was originally placed on 21st December. Around the end of January I sent an inquiry about the order that was not answered. PayPal also sent an inquiry which also went unanswered so I was refunded full price and order cancelled. About a week and half later I get notification that the order shipped.

There was no invoice with the capacitors. As far as I'm concerned this is unsolicited goods and I'm under no obligation to pay for it and I have no intention of paying. The order was cancelled. They sent it anyway. That's the law and I always obey the law.  >:D ;)

As no invoice, my guess would be a attempted bribe to not shitpost them. ;) A wee bit late for that; the time for good customer service was before you had to call in the PayPal gendarmes...  :-DD

mnem
*coughASSHOLETAXcough*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114670 on: March 01, 2022, 04:50:09 pm »

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh
It could be already loaded, even if the manual states the contrary.
nope, it ain't.
opened call and fessed up to boss man

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114671 on: March 01, 2022, 04:52:41 pm »
testing rtx2070 super vs rtx2060 on spare PC I have ...
will post figures if anyone wants them.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114672 on: March 01, 2022, 05:18:22 pm »
the replacement card is running. 16150 3d mark vs 13800 for the 2060. no reason to go for that bit of perf plus unless you need the additional GPU mem.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114673 on: March 01, 2022, 05:58:36 pm »
The difference for the 2070 Super's intended market is "high-end 1K GPU" vs "Solid 2K GPU". Most people won't notice the diff between either and my son's xXx Edition RX580;)

mnem
*toddles off to forage in the kitchen*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114674 on: March 01, 2022, 06:23:29 pm »
yarp. but at least it works. better to have a working GPU than a brick.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf