Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18053497 times)

Vince, khach, onsokumaru, EE4all and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #114625 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:44 pm »
Picked up the Keithley 2015 DMM/THD. I tried it on a voltage standard and a couple of standard resistors, and it worked nicely. Amusing to see the THD of my audio signal sources 0.02%-0.4%, and that it's sine wave output is undrflw%.

Now turn it off and recap it. Those old Keithley 2XXX are known to have leaking caps.
If it is not happened now it will.

Vintage 2005. Caps are Nichicon. :(

Ones I can see aren't bulging. Will still put it in my repair queue.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114626 on: February 28, 2022, 06:50:58 pm »
Picked up the Keithley 2015 DMM/THD. I tried it on a voltage standard and a couple of standard resistors, and it worked nicely. Amusing to see the THD of my audio signal sources 0.02%-0.4%, and that it's sine wave output is undrflw%.

Now turn it off and recap it. Those old Keithley 2XXX are known to have leaking caps.

These usually look fine from the top... and leak from the bottom  :(
Not sure if 2005 is "still in range" for the leaky batch  :-//
Better safe than sorry  :blah:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #114627 on: February 28, 2022, 06:57:34 pm »
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-warning-some-files-might-not-be-deleted-when-you-reset-a-windows-pc/

Quote from: ZDNet/BleepingComputer
Via BleepingComputer, the issue was discovered by Microsoft MVP Rudy Ooms, who found that user data was still readable in the "Windows.old" folder after completing a remote or local wipe of a Windows 10 device. Ooms details his findings in a blog post, including that data encrypted with Bitlocker is moved in clear form to the Windows.old folder after a Windows reset.

mnem
*toddles off to see if I can find a    disk in my old computer crap*
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:05:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114628 on: February 28, 2022, 07:33:36 pm »
From the     Dept...

This came up in my feeds; while I generally feel Friedman is a bit of a hack, his The World Is Flat premise does offer a good alternative viewpoint to use for reality-checking your own. It advances the proposition that globalization has so connected the world, we have gone from competition between nations (1.0) to competition between corporations (2.0) and are now at 3.0 where individuals now face competition that can come from anyone anywhere in the world. Shamelessly plagiarized from the Daily Kos article that brought this to my attention.

And whether or not you subscribe, his recent editorial OP in The Times is dead on about a few things:

Quote from: Friedman
The seven most dangerous words in journalism are: “The world will never be the same.” In over four decades of reporting, I have rarely dared use that phrase. But I’m going there now in the wake of Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Our world is not going to be the same again because this war has no historical parallel. It is a raw, 18th-century-style land grab by a superpower — but in a 21st-century globalized world. This is the first war that will be covered on TikTok by super-empowered individuals armed only with smartphones, so acts of brutality will be documented and broadcast worldwide without any editors or filters. On the first day of the war, we saw invading Russian tank units unexpectedly being exposed by Google maps, because Google wanted to alert drivers that the Russian armor was causing traffic jams.

You have never seen this play before.

Worth a quick skim, even if all it does is piss you off a bit. At least you get a quick scorecard out of the deal. ;)

mnem
A'aight... I'll put down the politics and let all y'alls get back to your regularly scheduled insanity.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:24:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114629 on: February 28, 2022, 07:42:48 pm »
Nothing that hasn't happened in the past, I have a pair of 1960's Solartron voltmeters, one has a two pole connector & the other a three pole, not that this makes any difference to me at the moment as I have yet to find any connectors that fit, I'm hoping they were a standard part at the time.

David

Well these unobtainium connectors were definitely made by P.E.T. (Precision Electronic Terminations Ltd.), the LM1420.2 book I have in front of me, gives P.E.T. part no. 242/B/3 for the panel input socket (3 way), still no idea what the part no. for the test lead plug is though, it only quotes a Solartron number for that.  :--

Was hoping the LM1426 would have arrived by now, but I'm suspicious that it won't, seller claims it was collected a while back and if it still hasn't arrived tomorrow the seller will refund.  :(

David

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #114630 on: February 28, 2022, 07:49:38 pm »
No, because I didn't know it was a specific issue until I read the thread on the K2001 recently.   :P

K2001 is the pinnacle of this shit show. The leaking process is accelerated because the power supply caps are at lower voltage spec. of what they should....
If you then run them at higher Tamb (the K2001 is a little oven ...).... guess what will happen?

Yes don't know who sent such board to production, or what they were smoking during the design/reviews.
My guess that such a dumb mistake can be overlooked, smart eng are searching most of the time for complicated problems.

Good news the correct caps with the right voltage are taller but they still fit nicely into the K2001 bad boy...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 08:09:45 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114631 on: February 28, 2022, 07:58:13 pm »
Yes don't know who send such board to production, or what they were smoking during the design/reviews.
My guess that such a dumb mistake can be overlooked, smart eng are searching most of the time for complicated problems.

Well, if you've ever seen the Keithley 2001 schematics you'll have a hint that there were at least some total muppets involved in the process.

Example:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Zucca

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114632 on: February 28, 2022, 08:01:18 pm »
Yes don't know who send such board to production, or what they were smoking during the design/reviews.

Not designed to fail after a reasonable number of years then  :-//, to ensure they can sell companies new DMM(s).  >:D

David
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 08:02:55 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #114633 on: February 28, 2022, 08:08:49 pm »
Well, if you've ever seen the Keithley 2001 schematics you'll have a hint that there were at least some total muppets involved in the process.

I prefer to die for "muppet schematics" rather than "no schematics" disease.  8)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #114634 on: February 28, 2022, 08:30:43 pm »

These usually look fine from the top... and leak from the bottom  :(
Not sure if 2005 is "still in range" for the leaky batch  :-//
Better safe than sorry  :blah:

So I've heard, I think it is, and I suppose so, respectively.

The side effect I forgot is that it stopped me bidding for an engine blade from Concorde, signed by the chief Concorde pilot. It went for ~£520.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #114635 on: February 28, 2022, 08:44:26 pm »
Isn't the Keithley 2001 the rebranded model from Keithley? I have something in mind that the 2001 was developed and built by a Japanese company.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114636 on: February 28, 2022, 08:58:11 pm »
These usually look fine from the top... and leak from the bottom  :(   Not sure if 2005 is "still in range" for the leaky batch  :-//   Better safe than sorry  :blah:

The side effect I forgot is that it stopped me bidding for an engine blade from Concorde, signed by the chief Concorde pilot. It went for ~£520.
Oooohhh... I similarly missed out due to a transportation emergency on a bit of a SR71 "tail feather" supposedly with provenance (the titanium alloy blades at the back of the engines which close/open as it switches from turbojet to ramjet mode); one of the regular contributors to habu.org (IIRC that's where I saw) offered a few desk ornaments featuring bits of the metal with that distinctive "Mach 2+ burn" discoloration to fund other conservation efforts.

A regret to this day. *sigh*

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:29:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #114637 on: February 28, 2022, 09:20:44 pm »
Isn't the Keithley 2001 the rebranded model from Keithley? I have something in mind that the 2001 was developed and built by a Japanese company.

That's the 2010 and 2110 isn't it?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114638 on: February 28, 2022, 09:50:51 pm »

That's the 2010 and 2110 isn't it?

Yes. It's obvious if you look at them:

Rebranded (2100):

Keithley original (2001):

Bonus - Array M3500A (The OEM version of the 2100)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114639 on: February 28, 2022, 10:17:06 pm »
Holy shit balls, just had an email from our energy supplier where we get our electric and gas from, and from 1st April, our bill is almost doubling to almost £300 a month, put that together with the increase in rent, rates, phone, internet, diesel for the car, all of which are also seeing massive increases, I have to decide between eating and TEA  :palm: :scared: :wtf: :rant:

It looks as if I'm going to start flipping a few things in order to keep my head above the water line here, thanks to Brexit, Covid and silly boy Putin, geez what a rough ride this is going to be for a while.  |O

You forgot to mention the National Insurance tax increase.   Workers above pension age like Debbie are facing a big NI tax rise next year.   After years of zero pay increase we got 1% last year. 
Our Pension contributions   - 2018 8% of salary,  2019 - 9.6% of salary.   2022 planned increase to 11% of salary.  At the same time pension benefits are going down.   About 1/2 of the universities are out on strike again over pensions.   Not getting any press coverage because of other on-going events.

The lease on my car ends in three weeks.  The way things are right now, I'm not going to risk replacing it.   

Agree with you 100%, but I'm retired and only have a small pension and just my rent is 61% of my pension without the rest, I'm having to dip heavily into my savings and inheritance to enjoy a low standard of living. These politicians have absolutely zero understanding of how people at our end of scale manage, they only view you now, and me before I retired as a cash machine to enable their high standards of living.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114640 on: February 28, 2022, 10:30:57 pm »
Anyone want a Keithely 2001 with leaky caps and no VFD inverter? Comes with a bag of new caps.
Open to silly offers.

In other news, just walked across the kitchen floor and a tile cracked. Stood on the tile again and water cae through the crack  ???  :wtf:
Floor is lage stone tiles with electric underfloor heating in special rubberised adhesive on top of plywood flooring over a void.
We've had a lot of rain receently but no flooding.   :-//
I looked under the cabinets under the sink and by the dishwasher & washing machine. The tiles stop just under the cabinets.
And.. the plywood floor is soaking wet  :palm: :scared:
Looks like the water connection to the washing machine has had a slow leak which has saturated he plywood underfloor causing it to swell and crack the tiles. The whole floor will have to be ripped out and that means removing cabinets and appliances on 3 walls  :palm:
So off to call the insurance company. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:38:48 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114641 on: February 28, 2022, 10:34:46 pm »
These usually look fine from the top... and leak from the bottom  :(   Not sure if 2005 is "still in range" for the leaky batch  :-//   Better safe than sorry  :blah:

Oooohhh... I similarly missed out due to a transportation emergency on a bit of a SR71 "tail feather" supposedly with provenance (the titanium alloy blades at the back of the engines which close/open as it switches from turbojet to ramjet mode); one of the regular contributors to habu.org (IIRC that's where I saw) offered a few desk ornaments featuring bits of the metal with that distinctive "Mach 2+ burn" discoloration to fund other conservation efforts.

A regret to this day. *sigh*

mnem
 :-/O

I still have some bits off Thrust SSC.... Found one of the titainium deflectors that kept the re-heat flames off the parachute line during the grge cleanout.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114642 on: February 28, 2022, 10:57:32 pm »
Anyone wnt a Keithely 2001 with leaky caps and no VFD inverter? Comes with a bag of new caps.
Open to silly offers.

In other news, just walked across the kitchen floor and a tile cracked. Stood on the tile again and water cae through the crack  ???  :wtf:
Floor is lage stone tiles with electric underfloor heating in special rubberised adhesive on top of plywood flooring over a void.
I looked under the cabinets under the sink and by the dishwasher & washing machine. The tiles stop just under the cabinets.
Looks like the water connection to the washing machine has had a slow leak which has saturated he plywood underfloor causing it to swell and crack the tiles. The whole floor will have to be ripped out and that menas removing cabinets oand applinces on 3 walls  :palm:
Oh thats not good news at all. In a similar vein, we have had a persistent leak somewhere in our bathroom, the floor around the WC is really damp beneath the lino and there is often water pooling on top of the lino. So far the HA have sent out no less than 5 plumbers since Christmas, last one was this morning,  and they keep saying that it is condensation dripping from the beneath the cistern and will cease when the warmer weather gets here. Oh yeah, well how come then, that we have been the only tenants in this house since it was built 30 years ago, and we have had far worse winters in that time and never once did we get any condensation on the cistern. |O

I shall be phoning them again in the morning, decided to do a bit more investigation on my own, there is a one of these flexible / stretchable soil pipes on the WC and its wet in the centre at the bottom but not the top, which is where condensation would be dripping onto if that was the issue, and the coupler is some 130mm above floor level, geez you really can't get the skilled tradesmen these days with the training being dumbed down like it is  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #114643 on: March 01, 2022, 03:33:52 am »
Looks like the water connection to the washing machine has had a slow leak which has saturated he plywood underfloor causing it to swell and crack the tiles. The whole floor will have to be ripped out and that means removing cabinets and appliances on 3 walls  :palm:

I feel for you, my home in US is big and nice, but I am waiting the day where I will discover something similar.
Clearly mine was build  in the quickest way possible without caring about details.

That said consider to install a pan connected to the sewer line underneath the water appliances, with a drain trap.
Fill the drain trap with baby oil, this not only stop the odor but also will stay there forever since it can not evaporate like water.

I hope the insurance process will go smoothly.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #114644 on: March 01, 2022, 04:55:36 am »

I feel for you, my home in US is big and nice, but I am waiting the day where I will discover something similar.
Clearly mine was build  in the quickest way possible without caring about details.

That said consider to install a pan connected to the sewer line underneath the water appliances, with a drain trap.
Fill the drain trap with baby oil, this not only stop the odor but also will stay there forever since it can not evaporate like water.

I hope the insurance process will go smoothly.

This sort of house repair is miserable.  I have to do something similar in the bathroom.  I still owe the dwagon a septic story.  Before that was the water line with a joint on top of a wall header....

Thanks for the idea of using mineral oil (baby oil) to fill a trap that is rarely used.  I have one that I have been periodically flushing with water to keep it clean and avoid odours as well as not let it go dry.  This should let me forget about it.  It likely works well for heritage iron drains, instead of rusting from the mineral content in water.  I like!

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114645 on: March 01, 2022, 05:27:16 am »
I shall be phoning them again in the morning, decided to do a bit more investigation on my own, there is a one of these flexible / stretchable soil pipes on the WC and its wet in the centre at the bottom but not the top, which is where condensation would be dripping onto if that was the issue, and the coupler is some 130mm above floor level, geez you really can't get the skilled tradesmen these days with the training being dumbed down like it is  :rant:

Try scanning the area with a thermal camera if you have or can borrow one. I once found the location of a roof leak in the attic that way.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #114646 on: March 01, 2022, 05:52:34 am »
Anyone want a Keithely 2001 with leaky caps and no VFD inverter? Comes with a bag of new caps.
Open to silly offers.

:-DD

gahhh...   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #114647 on: March 01, 2022, 08:09:45 am »
Open to silly offers.

Hi Robert,

what does silly constitute ? ( I would be interested, however don't know if shipping etc would kill any incentive ...)

Good luck with the repair. You have my heartfelt sympathies.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #114648 on: March 01, 2022, 08:27:03 am »

Oof!!  Slow leaks that manage to go unnoticed for any length of time are insidious and can be terribly damaging.  Sounds like you have a right mess on your hands - you have my sympathies.  That does not sound like a fun repair…

Best of luck.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #114649 on: March 01, 2022, 08:53:57 am »
re scheduled insanity:
reinstalling Xilinx Vitis/Vivado.
Then going for:
Vitis AI
NVidia Docker / Cuda dev stack
Platform binaries for
zedboard
PYNQ
VCK5000

Then: test drive the replacement for the blown up RTX2070.
Zotac sent an RTX2070 super out of a repair center in the UK. I managed to navigate it thru customs without paying fees to our government henchmen ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf