Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16691467 times)

Kosmic, KG7AMV and 117 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #114475 on: February 26, 2022, 05:22:19 pm »
Only a box?
I have at least 5 Really Useful Box shallow tray type bins of just toroids. And a 19l one just for un-cased Variacs. I have 7 cased Variacs.  Found a 36.5V 25A C core transformer at the back of the garage too.  :palm:
On Vince's question my basis is

Don't keep ANY SMPS transformers (possible exception would be one made with a marked, known, core and has not been glued or potted.)
Don't keep any unmarked "consumer" grade transformers.
Keep any marked commercial / industrial transformers especially toroids and those from know manufacturers.
For CRT flyback I'd keep a couple if they have separate HV windings. An external rectifier is bonus too.
In all honesty, this was my reaction too.  :-DD But like I just said, I was trying to be good. ;)

I'll take exception to your statement about "consumer" transformers... two consumer gadgets I love to rob transformers from are a) nukeboxen and 2) old stereos, even the bigger bookshelf "pregnant boombox" ones by AIWA, Panasonic and Sony, etc. Those always have a good 200-400VA continuous-duty transformer with two 25-60V secondaries. Perfect for making small homebrew linear power supplies, and if you like the result, you can turn it dual-output. :-+

The nukeboxen transformers... ehhh... what can I say? Any way you power them, you can get into lots of interesting trouble.  >:D

And then, let's not get started talking about my collections of wall-wart & power bricks (ranging up to 20V/12A) and my server PSU sickness, which I pared down to 2 102L storage tubs before the Great White North adventure...  :scared:

mnem
 :bullshit:

Ahh, one thing to remember is you are in 60 Hz land and we are in 50 Hz. Transformers that are OK at 60Hz can be marginal at 50Hz. Most consumer transformers I've come across tend to designed towards the 60 Hz end of the spectrum.
Hmmm... so Japanese domestic brands, ie Sony, Matsushita/Panasonic, Hitachi, Toshiba etc which produce for their own market and export, as opposed to other Asian brands which produce primarily for export to the US, would then be more likely a good source from your side of the pond?

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114476 on: February 26, 2022, 05:24:18 pm »
I think the smoking gun lies with the detent ball assembly. Look at all the corrosion under that tab. If that little ball can't move it will jam the switch. Going to pull it apart.

I doubt it will be the detent. Note that both the shaft AND bushing are Aluminium / light alloy. This is a very bad combination. Almost certainly the shaft and bushing have galled and effectively are welded together.
There is no practical fix for this. You need to get a new switch mechanisim and swap the wafers over.
A longer one can be cut down. I have some if you are really stuck but postage is expensive these days.

EDIT link to galling description
https://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/what-is-galling
Robert, I was trying to give the guy hope... aluminum oxide poisoning can be heartbreaking in cases like this.  ;)   IME, heat is the only chance of freeing up such a victim.

mnem
 :-//

Why do you make this stuff up?  :wtf: aluminum oxide poisoning   :bullshit:
Heat won't help either, the parts are welded together.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #114477 on: February 26, 2022, 05:27:17 pm »
I think the smoking gun lies with the detent ball assembly. Look at all the corrosion under that tab. If that little ball can't move it will jam the switch. Going to pull it apart.

I doubt it will be the detent. Note that both the shaft AND bushing are Aluminium / light alloy. This is a very bad combination. Almost certainly the shaft and bushing have galled and effectively are welded together.
There is no practical fix for this. You need to get a new switch mechanisim and swap the wafers over.
A longer one can be cut down. I have some if you are really stuck but postage is expensive these days.

Robert, I was trying to give the guy hope... aluminum oxide poisoning can be heartbreaking in cases like this.  ;)   IME, heat is the only chance of freeing up such a victim.

mnem
Inclined to agree and always attempt to free stuck stuff up without adding any lube of any sort first. Patience is the key while trying to get even some minute movement and gradually working on getting more.
Gently gently catch the monkey.  ;)

However our Larry Minor has shown me a thing or two with some of the commercial penetrants that can work wonders but not just any old stuff like weasels piss 40.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114478 on: February 26, 2022, 05:31:31 pm »
Why do you make this stuff up?  :wtf: aluminum oxide poisoning   :bullshit:
Heat won't help either, the parts are welded together.
It's old machinist slang for this very condition, Robert. Similar to a gunshot wound being called lead poisoning, because the condition is usually terminal. I picked it up from grand-dad, but old man Basche also referred to it the same way on his old motorbikes. ;)

If they aren't completely welded fast, you might break them loose with heat. might.

Cheers,

mnem
 :palm:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:40:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114479 on: February 26, 2022, 05:43:02 pm »

mnem
Inclined to agree and always attempt to free stuck stuff up without adding any lube of any sort first. Patience is the key while trying to get even some minute movement and gradually working on getting more.

However our Larry Minor has shown me a thing or two with some of the commercial penetrants that can work wonders but not just any old stuff like weasels piss 40.
A recent triumph comes to mind, a friend got a 2nd hand shotgun for claybird shooting only to find one of its removable chokes stuck fast in the barrel and even the best choke tool available wouldn't shift the little bugger.
A nice and tidy blued barrel isn't something you want to start peening or heating to free up the threads so a much more gentle approach was needed so although it's not a recognized penetrant we had some bulk CRC666 so we stood the barrel end in that for a month where after the internal choke tube was finally removed without incident.  :phew:
Ya gotta win the odd one.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #114480 on: February 26, 2022, 05:44:41 pm »
I can't get enough leverage to break free that 7/16 nut even with a 1/2 drive ratchet so I'm going to have to come up with some sort of clamping jig. And as you can see I had to further disassemble the switch deck so I work with just the center shaft. My clamps and other heavy tools are in the garage and it's too freaking cold out there today so I'll try tomorrow.

And yes, the shaft MIGHT be hopelessly galled in place. Until I get that nut off I really can't tell. But one good thing is the front C clip is free and spins.

If the shaft is galled heat as suggested and a hammer might free it up. Stay tuned.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #114481 on: February 26, 2022, 05:49:30 pm »
While med is taking his anti-gallum measures, the dwagon could do some 3D printing as suggested here in this video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZmx60vMPl5/

:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114482 on: February 26, 2022, 05:49:54 pm »
Don't hurry this Mike, remember you're retired and don't need to panic. Let it stand in a low viscosity penetrant for a bit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neepa

• Regular Contributor
  • Mechanic by trade Electronics enthusiast by choice
« Reply #114483 on: February 26, 2022, 05:52:49 pm »
Another solution might be a nut splitter. It would definitely remove the nut although it may damage the threads in the process.
Turbojet Mechanic playing EE.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #114484 on: February 26, 2022, 05:53:00 pm »
Don't hurry this Mike, remember you're retired and don't need to panic. Let it stand in a low viscosity penetrant for a bit.

Agreed. Especially since chances of finding a replacement shaft of that length and 9 positions will be slim to none.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #114485 on: February 26, 2022, 05:53:15 pm »
This guys ist testing some low-viscosive penetrating oils:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #114486 on: February 26, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »
Another solution might be a nut splitter. It would definitely remove the nut although it may damage the threads in the process.

I'm sure I'll be able to loosen that nut as soon as I can get it properly clamped.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114487 on: February 26, 2022, 05:55:53 pm »

IME, WD40 is really good for removing stickers from stuff you don't care if it gets stained, and as a summer substitute for ether so you don't strip the cylinder walls starting a reluctant engine. Other than that, it causes more collateral damage than it fixes.  |O

Grand-dad swore by a mix of ATF and kero applied with a paintbrush, and later "Ion-Activated PB Blaster"... I'll admit the latter has def saved a few rusty lugnuts, especially if applied immediately after heating (keep a bucket of water handy ;)) said lugnuts such that the heat wicks the stuff inside the threads. But you have to be desperate enough to not care about burning the paint, etc on the wheel, especially in case of a fire.

mnem

*cringe*         
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:20:22 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114488 on: February 26, 2022, 05:58:13 pm »

Agreed. Especially since chances of finding a replacement shaft of that length and 9 positions will be slim to none.
Forget Water Displacement formula 40, instead if you have some 2 stroke fuel try that but in the garage of course unless you have a furnace working there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114489 on: February 26, 2022, 05:59:19 pm »
More TEA.
A small package arrived today. A Palladin tools "Cable Check PC". Been lookin for one of these at a reasonable price for awhile. They seem to go for £50-60. I picked this one up for £30 shipped. It is in as new condition complete with original box and sleeve, albeit a bit tatty.
Simple idea two set of sockets. An output set up to 25 way. input is the same plus a 36 way centronics. An LED for each pin number on boh input and output plus two for screen.  A sequencer puts voltage in each output pin lighting the corresponding LED. Any input pin connected to that pin also lights. Pressing a button increments the sequencer.

Did a DIY version for work on the same principle many years ago but added a clock so you could increment the tested pin automatically. That had 100 leds and two 50W D types. There were then adaptor leads from 50W D to various "military" circular connectors. We also had "break-out" boxes with 50 4mm sockets and 2 50W D  connectrs that allowed in circuit measurements using the same adaaptor leads. Inital cost was high with but saved hours when you needed it. A contractor breaking a pin on a $40,000 computer box finally convinced management it was worth spending the money.

Edit Picture added.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:12:30 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114490 on: February 26, 2022, 06:03:21 pm »

I'm sure I'll be able to loosen that nut as soon as I can get it properly clamped.
Ehhh... I wouldn't try to get the nut loose. No need to, and it's more valuable being stuck tight as a means to apply leverage to the assembly for breaking the shaft loose without damaging the threads, which is what's really important.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114491 on: February 26, 2022, 06:08:23 pm »

Sorry to be the doom and gloom bringer but it's likely the nut is galled too.
I've been here before with these alloy switches.

One option if you don't have a spare long switch is to replace the bush with a steel or brass one from a short switch or even a pot.  Split the nut. Take shaft and bush out of the plate. Then cut 90% through the alloy bush with a small hack saw or cutting disk in a dremel in two places 180 degrees apart. Put a screwdriver in the slot and wist to split the bush. Polish the shaft an re-assemble with new bush.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114492 on: February 26, 2022, 06:15:11 pm »
While med is taking his anti-gallum measures, the dwagon could do some 3D printing as suggested here in this video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZmx60vMPl5/

:D

That's really neat, but the Tornado is already busy making 3 more of this. Got another 4 hours to go, according to Cura.

What is it? Higher-stability replacements for ducked-up 3-in casters on a slab desk which will be used to hold... my other two 3D printers.

:-DD

mnem
So yes, high priority, now that I'm no longer battling GI bugs and low blood sugar on account of not being able to eat... :o
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:39:27 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114493 on: February 26, 2022, 06:35:09 pm »

More TEA.   A small package arrived today. A Palladin tools "Cable Check PC". Been lookin for one of these at a reasonable price for awhile. They seem to go for £50-60. I picked this one up for £30 shipped. It is in as new condition complete with original box and sleeve, albeit a bit tatty...
Damn you Robert!  :-DD

Here I thought I'd gotten over the one I had stolen from my work vehicle almost a decade ago, which insurance replaced with a RJ-45 cable tester and adapters to DB-9, as the G1570 was long ago disco-ed out. |O They also replaced a 6-year-old-Dell D400 with a brammy-spankin'-new XPS13, so I can't really even gripe... but I will anyways, just this once. ;)

It hurts just as much now as the day it was stolen. *sigh*   :palm:

mnem
*adds another item to his evilBay wish list*
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:38:38 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114494 on: February 26, 2022, 07:14:18 pm »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114495 on: February 26, 2022, 07:21:48 pm »
Someone give Spec a poke to remind him Discord today !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114496 on: February 26, 2022, 07:28:17 pm »
Sorry... daughter B-Day party any minute now. Y'all will have to get into trouble widdout da dwagon for a hour or two... ;)

mnem
*toddles off to scrape his face and look at himself in the mirror*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #114497 on: February 26, 2022, 07:35:21 pm »
dunno if I can make it to discord. still on my way home with a metric ton of pinball and arcade stuff.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114498 on: February 26, 2022, 07:50:57 pm »
I don't think I want to look at my box of transformers...  ::)

I have three or four boxes. I just tried to haul one from the attic to my storage. I thought it was screwed down to the floor until I removed the upper layer of xformers...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #114499 on: February 26, 2022, 07:51:34 pm »

I know it probably goes without saying, and I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but I would mention that it would be best to use a 6-point socket rather than a 12-point, or indeed any other kind of spanner, excepting a 6-point box/ring.

Sometimes oxide "welding" can be broken with careful and judicious application of impact tools. A blunted automatic centre punch can be useful, also impact drivers though these are far more important to have a delicate touch with, on such small fasteners.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf