Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16703193 times)

patrickvdb, wkb, Wolfgang, Kosmic and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113975 on: February 18, 2022, 08:35:59 am »
Just for giggles I was reading the manuals as listed in TekWiki for the 6015 and 6015A.

The latest copy of the 6015 manual (1985) still listed freon as the dielectric fluid.

On the other hand, the 6015A manual makes no mention of a dielectric fluid at all. Apparently a design change to eliminate that requirement.
Yep, not a peep on dielectric fluid requirement for the A version.

That's the one with the silicone stuff inside.
It's factory sealed so 'not refillable' so there's no part number or real info on the stuff Tek used.
After a quick hunt Dow Corning XIAMETER™ PMX-200 Silicone Fluid might fit the bill:
https://www.dow.com/en-us/document-viewer.html?ramdomVar=6820722833088046643&docPath=/content/dam/dcc/documents/en-us/productdatasheet/95/95-5/95-516-xiameter-pmx-200-si-fluid.pdf

400 volts/mil dielectric strength should be good enuf.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #113976 on: February 18, 2022, 08:50:28 am »
Now look it up for hydrogen.

Luckily no fool would consider that as a fuel or anything.  :popcorn:

100% agreed, the use of hydrogen as a fuel is the dumbest thing since radioactive health foods. It burns explosively very very quickly at a very wide range of air-fuel mixes.

When I was in the welder repair game, our parent company was BOC gasses.
I would occasionally go to their main depo to do various work related to welders and was told about (and saw) their on site acetylene production and hydrogen storage.
They had a semi-trailer with a bunch of long tanks (3 across, 2 high IIRC) and as long as a full length trailer.

Apparently if that thing went pop, the damage radius was about 2 kilometers in every direction... Total destruction was multiple hundreds of meters.

Good stuff that hydrogen...

The Glass Ceramic Sintering Furnaces for module substrates at the former IBM East Fishkill Plant (Now Global Foundries) are huge and are fueled by H2 only. They are located in a separate "explosion proof" building. I do recall where one of them had a blow back, sort of like a back fire, that left a skid mark in a bunch of people's skivvies.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113977 on: February 18, 2022, 09:35:15 am »
At my local Bunnings I noticed they store their welding gases in two locations - maybe 20m apart.  One has the oxygen and shielding gas bottles and the other has acetylene.  I thought for a microsecond and realised that storing the oxygen and acetylene at a distance from each other was probably a good idea.

Made me look twice when I saw two such bottles strapped next to each other on the back of a ute in the car park.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113978 on: February 18, 2022, 09:43:18 am »
Here's a question for the Tektronix-otaku here...

Did Tek ever release a Tekprobe adapter to allow the customer to build their own probes and fixtures using the Tekprobe interface?
I have an idea I want to try and I'm not going to scrap a good probe. I guess I'll have to end up finding a busted probe to scrap, but just wondering if there is an 'official' part to use?

Not sure, but I do know there's a relatively cheap adapter, I think something to do with old analogue TV stuff that has been mooted as a possible source.

Iirc I have it on my eBay watch list, let me check.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:23:31 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113979 on: February 18, 2022, 09:56:56 am »
I support this. It is fascinating reading. I have it somewhere.

"—but the material appeared to be
stable to just about everything. But, alas, Daphne, too, was a woman,
and could betray him. And took out most of the test cell when she did."  :-DD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113980 on: February 18, 2022, 09:58:38 am »
Here's a question for the Tektronix-otaku here...

Did Tek ever release a Tekprobe adapter to allow the customer to build their own probes and fixtures using the Tekprobe interface?
I have an idea I want to try and I'm not going to scrap a good probe. I guess I'll have to end up finding a busted probe to scrap, but just wondering if there is an 'official' part to use?

Not sure, but I do know there's a relatively cheap adapter, I think something to do with old analogue TV stuff that has been mooted as a possible source.

Iirc I have it on my eBay watch list, let me check.

Yeah I have two of those TV trigger adapters that I picked up cheap. One I am keeping to use with the TV trigger option in my TDS784C, the other is in mint condition and just seems a shame to tear into..

My idea is to make a new tekprobe compatible compensation adapter for the P6015 I bought recently that we are all talking about. The P6015A came with a Tekprobe compensation box as an option, but the P6015 predates that interface.
Also the probe I bought has a damaged BNC connector anyway, so good enough reason to update it for use with my TDS784C.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113981 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:19 am »
Just for giggles I was reading the manuals as listed in TekWiki for the 6015 and 6015A.

The latest copy of the 6015 manual (1985) still listed freon as the dielectric fluid.

On the other hand, the 6015A manual makes no mention of a dielectric fluid at all. Apparently a design change to eliminate that requirement.

It's factory sealed so 'not refillable' so there's no part number or real info on the stuff Tek used.
After a quick hunt Dow Corning XIAMETER™ PMX-200 Silicone Fluid might fit the bill:
https://www.dow.com/en-us/document-viewer.html?ramdomVar=6820722833088046643&docPath=/content/dam/dcc/documents/en-us/productdatasheet/95/95-5/95-516-xiameter-pmx-200-si-fluid.pdf

Taking a look at the Data Sheet here...

"Imparts soft, velvety skin feel"

Count me sold on this stuff!  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #113982 on: February 18, 2022, 10:07:34 am »

But when used for....ahem....implants they do NOT impart a soft, velvety feel. Those puppies may be perky but they are as hard as rocks. No natural feeling at all. Trust me, I have personal experience here.  :P :-DD 

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113983 on: February 18, 2022, 10:09:12 am »

But when used for....ahem....implants they do NOT impart a soft, velvety feel. Those puppies may be perky but they are as hard as rocks. No natural feeling at all. Trust me, I have personal experience here.  :P :-DD 

You had my interest, now you have my undivided attention...  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #113984 on: February 18, 2022, 10:18:15 am »

You had my interest, now you have my undivided attention...  :-DD

Great to look at but they don't bounce. Nothing soft about them at all. Like 2 torpedoes strapped to her chest. There's a reason they call them "bolt ons"   >:D ;D

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113985 on: February 18, 2022, 11:02:34 am »
snip....

BTW,
some PP stuff.
Signal generators and spectrum analyzers okay, but resistance calibrator, and then AC calibrator.
Must be a collector fight, there is still time though.
Then what's wrong with counters, everybody already have one?

Only bought one 9835 Racal counter here  8), a probably knackered Huntron tracker  :-BROKE, Tek 453 scope, the pile of HP 180/182 scope remains, some GR cables (in a box of crap), the HP 651B oscilloscope :-DD, a test set No1 lamp foot and finally got a HP 10020A probe set (missed the one last week on ePay).
Missed out on several relisted lots that "stream" didn't complete sale on last time & "LED" won this time, bet they will get relisted again.

David

And literature, what about the literature.
(and some I don't understand even with google)
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113986 on: February 18, 2022, 11:09:46 am »
So, eh, what? Do you think it's a bot  :wtf: P&P uses to drive prices up? That would be darn nasty. Not to mention expensive for me...

Like VXI mainframes?

I checked some "LED" stuff.
It won all thermocouples but had different prices and times were 30 sec. apart, looks legit.
There were also stuff that went with initial price to someone else and few things were N/A.
It's still possible that some items just don't have that wanted minimum value.

Fluke 8520A was "LED" item.
Like is #410 Tektronix R7103 £36.

trippleH won similar NEC amplifiers with different prices starting from #365.
If "LED" is there it doesn't have a fixed limit.
First is £46 and single, third is £95, then doubles are £100 or £115 and then single is £107.
Maybe everybody just missed those counts.

Lambda Genesys Gen 50-30 power supply, 0-50v, 0-30A, manual etc
#173 £360 contrastled
#174 £350 contrastled
#175 £450 jamespawson

Maybe "LED" has a price limit but not amount limit.

#209 £281 asteonline Rohde & Schwarz URV35 level meter with RF probe in bag
#210 £171 SNAKEEYES Rohde & Schwarz URV35 level meter

#214 £110 contrastled Rohde & Schwarz NRVS power meter

Rohde & Schwarz NRVD power meter
#215 £210 sanduns
#216 £185 contrastled
#217 £201 sanduns

Maybe sanduns was testing "LED" there.

"LED" won also some pretty priced stuff, maybe it really had just a predefined item value and total amount is irrelevant.
Totally also closer to £20k or more if all extras are counted.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113987 on: February 18, 2022, 11:20:04 am »

The 20cs viscosity is available in the UK for about £27 a litre.
https://www.silmid.com/silicones/silicone-fluids/XIAMETER-PMX-200-20cs-Silicone-Fluid-in-various-sizes/

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #113988 on: February 18, 2022, 11:40:04 am »

Linus likes it so much he invested $250K in the company.

mnem
*noshing on a bowl of steamed stir-fry veggies*

Modular high-volume electronics rarely work. It's even a huge challenge for high-margin stuff like T&M gear. I wouldn't sink a penny in that project.

Lambda Genesys Gen 50-30 power supply, 0-50v, 0-30A, manual etc
#173 £360 contrastled
#174 £350 contrastled
#175 £450 jamespawson

This is something I truly don't get. I sell them for less on eBay. Verified, all costs included. And they barely move.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113989 on: February 18, 2022, 11:42:30 am »
Here in Essex, UK we are being battered by Storm Eunice with gusts of up to 90mph, I know that the Isle of Wight has had gusts of 92mph recorded today so far. It sounds really terrible in my lab, we have solar panels on the roof of the house and at times the whole roof seems to shudder as the wind howls between the room tiles and the panels. So glad that the storm is now and not in a few months when the trees would be in leaf as I have trees back and front that are taller than the house. If your in the UK and the storm has not yet reached you, prepare for it by securing things wherever possible.

We have a red weather warning in effect and millions of people have been told to stay at home, in doors, not to go to work and trains and buses have had services cancelled because of the conditions.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #113990 on: February 18, 2022, 11:49:51 am »
Same here. Off course, the Naval Academy where I teach decided to ignore all that and just go ahead with the courses  |O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113991 on: February 18, 2022, 12:11:51 pm »

Linus likes it so much he invested $250K in the company.

mnem
*noshing on a bowl of steamed stir-fry veggies*
Sounds like a great idea as long as they are not charging a premium for the upgrades. It promises to be cleaner and greener for the planet as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113992 on: February 18, 2022, 12:26:10 pm »
Today I had a surprise visitor who will probably stay a little longer.
And he showed some interest in tearing down my R&S ADS so he's getting prepared for it.

So, stay tuned!

:-/O  ;D
RAWWWWWRRRR-UHH-URRRR!!! means "Don't turn it on; take it apart!"  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to taste test Truvia in my coffee*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113993 on: February 18, 2022, 12:31:49 pm »
> I have come to observe that stiffness, rigidity and lack of undesired movement are preferred characteristics surrounding 3D printing.

Ah. Yes. I have a tested solution for that. Weighs about 50kg :)
For the rest of us, there's 18 x 18 in and 24 x 24 in paving stones from the hardware store; costs ~US$8-15. ;) Highly recommended under large-format printers to increase mass/inertia of the base, thereby reducing ghosting artifacts.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:14:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113994 on: February 18, 2022, 12:43:54 pm »
Here in Essex, UK we are being battered by Storm Eunice with gusts of up to 90mph, I know that the Isle of Wight has had gusts of 92mph recorded today so far.

122 mph (196 km/h) in the meantime. Strongest gust ever recorded in the UK. Lots of flights cancelled and no ferries to and from Dover.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/de/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html

Our local airport forecasts gusts of 60 knots later tonight. That's 4 knots short of force 12.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:12:38 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113995 on: February 18, 2022, 01:05:51 pm »
[

Can't remember if someone posted this already:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393935890707

That would be me.   I bought my  Racal-Dana 1991 and HP power supply from that seller.  I will not be bidding on this item.  (no use to me)

Anyone near St Asaph? Wherever that is...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165339867097

It is in North Wales about 40 miles east of my home.     There isn't much I'd want  and I have VERY little space for more TE.     Blackstar / TTi DMM and maybe one of the HPs.  The rest looks mostly like cheap analog 'scopes and junk I wouldn't take a second look at.     Am I missing something ???

It is going on my watch list.  Not sure if I'm going to bid.    Maybe put in a studpid low bid and resell most of it???

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:10:01 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113996 on: February 18, 2022, 01:18:12 pm »
This is just... I mean... it's... I have no words...   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353913646232   
Do we have any provenance on this thing...? I mean, is it a thing (Like Disney buying those early model AF oscillators from Bill & Dave), or did some asshat just slap a Tektronix watchband on a old Disney watch because they sortof matched...?

Would be nice to see the back of the watch...

mnem
 :-//

You could pm the seller and find out for us; they are on your side of the water feature.
Uhhhhh... I dunno. I might get some on me...

mnem
*toddles off to wash my paws* I feel dirty just typing about it... :o

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113997 on: February 18, 2022, 01:25:12 pm »
Combining RF voodoo with 3D printing and creating microwave lenses:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113998 on: February 18, 2022, 01:33:12 pm »
This is just... I mean... it's... I have no words...   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353913646232   
Do we have any provenance on this thing...? I mean, is it a thing (Like Disney buying those early model AF oscillators from Bill & Dave), or did some asshat just slap a Tektronix watchband on a old Disney watch because they sortof matched...?

Would be nice to see the back of the watch...

mnem
 :-//

You could pm the seller and find out for us; they are on your side of the water feature.
Uhhhhh... I dunno. I might get some on me...

mnem
*toddles off to wash my paws* I feel dirty just typing about it... :o

My own guess is it's a long service gift, 50 years or something, the three medals under the logo on the strap being 20+10+20..?

As I'm sure you're aware Lorus are not bargain basement, but they are pretty much lurking around the bottom end of the acceptable quality quartz watch movements.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113999 on: February 18, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »
Taking a look at the Data Sheet here...   "Imparts soft, velvety skin feel"   Count me sold on this stuff!  :-DD

Exactly how personal, buddy? Like "when John and Aeryn switched bodies" personal...?  :-DD

mnem
"...No, I'm a guy. Guys dream about this sort of thing...!"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:36:59 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf