Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16703032 times)

AVGresponding, patrickvdb, wkb, Ismo, Wolfgang, Kosmic and 75 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113825 on: February 16, 2022, 12:36:10 am »
I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CURRENT CLAMP
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255388211229

If you are already on it, I would advise you to go for a AM503B, no less. It is said to be able to compensate clamps which would not work properly with the the AM503 and AM503A. And of course, get an A6302 too!
 :-DD

I've got like 5 AM503 and one AM503B here spare if anyone needs one... I even replaced the battery and holder in the AM503B, they have always leaked...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113826 on: February 16, 2022, 12:39:49 am »
On all other fronts, today was a day as bleak as they come. Alien invasions and mass extinctions start on that sort of a day, I think.
My company of disputable wisdom sanity decided to pull the Skype for Business from our systems and transfer the telephony and messaging functions to Microsoft Teams..on a conscious patient, so to say.  :palm:

In their defence Microsoft have pushed, and pushed, and pushed for this, making it harder every day for people to stick with Skype for Business. They probably had reached the point where if they didn't move everything would break soon anyway. It's better to jump than be pushed, but just because one jumps doesn't guarantee one a better landing than when being pushed, you can end up flat on your face and heavily bruised either way. And yes, Teams is a gaudy bit of flimflam rather than a practical workaday product - at least it was last time I had it imposed on me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113827 on: February 16, 2022, 01:24:46 am »
On all other fronts, today was a day as bleak as they come. Alien invasions and mass extinctions start on that sort of a day, I think.
My company of disputable wisdom sanity decided to pull the Skype for Business from our systems and transfer the telephony and messaging functions to Microsoft Teams..on a conscious patient, so to say.  :palm:

In their defence Microsoft have pushed, and pushed, and pushed for this, making it harder every day for people to stick with Skype for Business. They probably had reached the point where if they didn't move everything would break soon anyway. It's better to jump than be pushed, but just because one jumps doesn't guarantee one a better landing than when being pushed, you can end up flat on your face and heavily bruised either way. And yes, Teams is a gaudy bit of flimflam rather than a practical workaday product - at least it was last time I had it imposed on me.
Apart from my dislike of Teams, I do not think that Microsoft is to blame here. If those lazy cretins in the IT department can't be bothered to make such a disruptive change at a weekend, or at night, and with suitable resources from the mother company on standby, then I ask myself why we even try to keep a certain standard up or if it is time to leave.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113828 on: February 16, 2022, 01:47:13 am »
Then a beast that came out of hiding in a literal sense: The Nordmende Transistorvoltmeter, which I pledged to BU508 a long time ago and then it hid under other stuff not wanting to draw my attention. BU, you have some work cut out if you still want it! Those pots are jittery as hell and I'm not sure if that is all...but it works somehow, so the movement is fine.

Ooooh, nice big scale with wiggling needle! Of course I still want it!  ;D
And I promise I will take good care of it.
Besides that, I can do then a teardown and post the pictures here.  :-/O  :-DD

Thanks again for the offer, much appreciated.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #113829 on: February 16, 2022, 01:53:07 am »
Where did you read that?? BMW give all there suppliers a 100,000Mile / 10 year requirement for all components.

McBryce.

I confirm that.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #113830 on: February 16, 2022, 02:02:59 am »
If those lazy cretins in the IT department

IT department is always so professional. I miss bd139 here. He had always "colorful" comments on IT people.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113831 on: February 16, 2022, 02:22:03 am »
This is shocking! There are people on this forum which try actively to get hapless newbies infected with TEA!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/it-all-started-with-an-old-bench-meter/msg4004893/#msg4004893

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113832 on: February 16, 2022, 02:51:40 am »

IT department is always so professional. I miss bd139 here. He had always "colorful" comments on IT people.
Comments on IT people do not need colours beside green and blue. If you beat them up enough, that's all you will see. >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #113833 on: February 16, 2022, 03:11:47 am »
A bit closer to TEA-related than some of my latest posts.  Things have been way too busy, and have had a few too many FML moments lately.
The truck is getting fixed up at the body shop  :rant: , I owe the dwagon a better septic story than just snippets  |O , and the kid just broke the rails on his bed!  :wtf:
Unfortunately the picture is grainy, but I cannot be bothered to redo it with the current fatigue level.

So here we have some adapters to cover SO-239, PL-259, BNC, SMA and N.  Most adapters have N to make that my de-facto standard connector.
The SO-239 & PL-259 will be used mainly for the Tek RM564 storage oscilloscope project.

EDIT:  Oh yes, the dog demonstrated that she can go on walks by herself by bending 9 AWG wires of a chain-link fence  :o
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:26:06 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #113834 on: February 16, 2022, 03:29:49 am »
Was somebody missing some HP 437B stuff, govplanet has few in Texas.
It's constantly creating localized links so use the search.

From PP I could use #13.
Assuming it's a normal DOS based thing.

Thanks!  :-+  The search was not easy to find the box of really useful stuff.
Does anyone have experience dealing with govplanet, especially using their shipping and import service partner into Canada?

Still looking for the cable to hook it up to the HP 436A though...

Then again, if I actually got the box then I would need to add a HP 437B and more to use them all up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:33:04 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113835 on: February 16, 2022, 03:36:33 am »

Comments on IT people do not need colours beside green and blue. If you beat them up enough, that's all you will see. >:D

I'll swear that the forum just swallowed a message. What I said was:

If the IT person is me or BD the only colour you will see is blue sky as you are defenestrated.

And we'll have a chit that says we're allowed to do it!  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113836 on: February 16, 2022, 07:03:56 am »

Apart from my dislike of Teams, I do not think that Microsoft is to blame here. If those lazy cretins in the IT department can't be bothered to make such a disruptive change at a weekend, or at night, and with suitable resources from the mother company on standby, then I ask myself why we even try to keep a certain standard up or if it is time to leave.

What Cerebus writes, basically. Microsoft don't want you to run S4B. They want you to pay rent in Azure for Teams. Therefore, it is not unlikely that they will remove support for S4B at critical update events, forcing those who refuse to follow the herd into the IBM business model of renting compute at elevated prices, to stay with old insecure systems. And, Teams of course is a stinking pile of shit; it after all is a Microsoft product, but it is a turd that's been polished considerably since it was imposed on me for the first time. 

However, trying to run desk phones against Lync/S4B/whatever is just plain stupid. IP telephony is not bad, but the aggregated stupid of the Microsoft "SIP" stack is completely unable to deliver.

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113837 on: February 16, 2022, 07:54:56 am »

Microsoft Teams We use at work.

It buggy bit of *&$%$

I normally hibernate  the work pc  windows 10

I find I  need to  restart the client, at least once a week

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113838 on: February 16, 2022, 08:33:31 am »
On the way to me.  :-+

More pics will coming soon ...  :popcorn:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113839 on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:00 am »
Teams. Microsoft.
Nuke them from Orbit. It's the only way to be sure ...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113840 on: February 16, 2022, 09:01:55 am »
I've spent the best part of 3 decades in IT and I can honestly say I have never taken deliberate decisions that would cause anything less than optimal implementations.

That's not to say I've never supervised a less-than-ideal exercise.

The fun fact about those ones is that the decisions that led to them were made by others.  Ones that have less idea of the technical implications and future impacts, but more interest in how to look good today.  You, know - management.

I don't know how many times I've had system designs compromised by people who don't have the appropriate understanding

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113841 on: February 16, 2022, 09:09:16 am »
I second that.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113842 on: February 16, 2022, 09:17:12 am »
Just ordered some RAL5018 PLA Filament for my 3D printer  ;)

McBryce.
Gonna start early on those Tek Scope Christmas ornaments for friends & family, are we...?  :-DD

mnem

Close. Just a crazy side-project: I want to print a "working" mini TEK 2465 ornament. I have a tiny CRT (viewfinder of an old VHS Camcorder) so that it can display real waves.

McBryce.
Sounds like it could be fun; I toyed with a similar project long, long ago when I found a extrusion project box with correctly shaped ends and big enough to house a CRT sourced similarly. Prolly will be a bit out of proportion (longer than it should be) like mine was. I never did get around to the detail work; painting it and the front panel... but got it working enough (TIP120s and a 555 timer for the sweep) to display a sine wave off a generator as long as I fed it a volt or 2 p-p. Mine was about the size of a Marlboro box; maybe a little thicker.

Good luck!

mnem
 :-/O

This is the CRT I have (pen in picture for scale purposes). As it is, I can feed it with a Composite Video signal. My plan was to feed it with picture of a wave rather than giving it a real wave signal. That way I can maybe feed it with the "Tek Wizard" or Tek Logo from a small PIC or AVR.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113843 on: February 16, 2022, 09:30:38 am »

I'll swear that the forum just swallowed a message. What I said was:

If the IT person is me or BD the only colour you will see is blue sky as you are defenestrated.

And we'll have a chit that says we're allowed to do it!  >:D
Ooh that's a posh word for the old phrase of "Pick a Window", I had to google for the meaning  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113844 on: February 16, 2022, 09:31:05 am »
EDIT:  Oh yes, the dog demonstrated that she can go on walks by herself by bending 9 AWG wires of a chain-link fence  :o

Daughter's dog is similar. He is as sharp as a tack and instantly finds tiny gaps in fencing, even in the pitch dark. The only explanation is that he is scent/noise following.

Sometimes he returns the way he departed. Other times he finds a different way back through 4 neighbour's gardens and along the road.

One of my favourite pictures of him is when he decided he didn't want to be left behind.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:48:35 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113845 on: February 16, 2022, 10:03:30 am »
Was somebody missing some HP 437B stuff, govplanet has few in Texas.
It's constantly creating localized links so use the search.

From PP I could use #13.
Assuming it's a normal DOS based thing.

I missed the additional comment about PP. Assuming you mean the 1662AS, no it's not a DOS box. It runs custom firmware from FLASH ROM. The floppy disk drive is DS/DD (720k) and will format/write/read in LIF or DOS. Note that the more common HD (1.44M) disks don't work. I have a 1663A that came with grabbers and cost nothing. 

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113846 on: February 16, 2022, 11:03:08 am »

Daughter's dog is similar. He is as sharp as a tack and instantly finds tiny gaps in fencing, even in the pitch dark. The only explanation is that he is scent/noise following.

Sometimes he returns the way he departed. Other times he finds a different way back through 4 neighbour's gardens and along the road.

One of my favourite pictures of him is when he decided he didn't want to be left behind.

Ditto,
Orli, sadly no longer with us, hated it when a suitcase came out. Obviously didn't think I needed space for clothes.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113847 on: February 16, 2022, 11:17:15 am »
I claim the prize! Oh, no prize  :(
The Land Rover may no be perfect but look how long it was produced, the uses it is put to and the markets it spanned. No niche for it.

It does have a niche, but it's quite wide, and rather muddy.  :)

Never you mind, someone is sure to happen by with a Landcruiser & pull it out!  ;D

It's also notable how many are still on the road. In the UK of 12,600 109's registered in 1995 1,700 are still on the road. A good proportion of those not on the raod may have been exported. Of 23,000 90's in 1995 8,000 are on the road and 7,000 SORN.

Where did you get those figures from? Was the source Land Rover specific or was it any and all makes and models? The latter could be quite interesting.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113848 on: February 16, 2022, 11:33:38 am »
A large box arrived this morning. It's the TA520. Passed K9 inspection. Well pactd in large triple wall box and instapack foam in place.
totally professional and to same level as if I'd paid full rice for a new or rental unit. Even a couple of pens and a USB stick with the manual.
No time to look further, Work to do.

TEAMS is (CENSORED). Glad it's not just me who can't get on with it

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113849 on: February 16, 2022, 11:50:02 am »
Yokogawa HP 4329A  on eBay uk.   I've bought from this seller before.  She knows nothing about TE . . . selling for a friend....  Both items were very well packed.

No idea of the condition of this 4329A  but if you've been looking for one....   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393935890707

I will not be bidding on this item.   

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:52:58 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf