Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16710637 times)

themadhippy, Vince, Andy Watson, Robert763 and 73 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113675 on: February 14, 2022, 01:53:45 pm »
I'll reveal the answer to my question later when a few more possible answers have been submitted.....

Since the poll was done by the BBC chances are the vast majority of the responders were British. Which means the poll results would obviously be biased towards a British car. Same thing would happen if the poll was done here. Would be biased towards an American car.

Whatever the results that type of poll sucks.  :P :-DD

Edit....my answer. AMC Pacer.  ;D

:-DD :-DD :-DD wrong, so wrong, that's in illegal response, sir.
I know... I think my brain just suffered a divide-by-zero segfault; would somebody please reboot it by kicking my wheelie chair...?

mnem
Yes, I actually do know just how much wrong there is in that statement...  >:D
WTF, are feeling OK, it wasn't you who posted that, it was Papa Smurf, your guess was the Black London Taxi, which was quite an informed guess after all  8)
I meant that statement. ;)

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113676 on: February 14, 2022, 01:59:07 pm »
@mnementh,
I just received an offer from Wish and I think it was really meant for you seeing as you are the Dwagon after all.

https://www.wish.com/feed/xparam-620993207844548f9350f624/product/5ed0b42429e78605043589a0?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113677 on: February 14, 2022, 02:06:55 pm »
Ummmmm... a bit too gaudy for me. Actually, for anyone.  :-DD

Thanks for thinking of me, tho... ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:31:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113678 on: February 14, 2022, 02:07:29 pm »
WTF, are feeling OK, it wasn't you who posted that, it was Papa Smurf, your guess was the Black London Taxi, which was quite an informed guess after all  8)

I think that WAS a response to Med's suggestion of an AMC Pacer, as in "There's no much wrong with that I don't know where to begin." or Señor Leghorn would have had it "The poor dumb, I say the poor dumb Yankee's brains are so addled that can't tell gettin' up time from goin' to the pot time.".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113679 on: February 14, 2022, 02:12:12 pm »
"...The poor dumb, I say the poor dumb Yankee's brains are so addled that can't tell gettin' up time from goin' to the pot time.".
That's why I have this mug.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:23:30 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113680 on: February 14, 2022, 02:47:50 pm »
Is "The Great Scott" a silent TEA reader?

Well, decide yourself:

Yeah, here's the problem... and it's one you're going to play hell getting old-school USA sparkies to ignore: We have decades and decades of empirical proof of fires caused by connection degradation over time with "backstab" connectors on switches and duplex outlets, which work very similarly to WAGOs.

WAGOs haven't even existed that long.

No matter how many tests you make, or how many videos extolling their virtues... you're not going to get around the fact that the primary selling point with the WAGO really is exactly the same as those backstab connectors: That they are the quick & lazy way of making a connection.

For old-school sparkies that take pride in knowing how to correctly wire using wirenuts and screw terminals, this really is the way they're going to see it, and they're going to consistently see these kinds of videos as just more apologists making excuses for using the lazy connector.

You're not going to change that, especially as there is ample proof with certain versions of WAGO, that they also have exactly this same kind of failure, and those sparkies know that too.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:49:37 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith, Specmaster

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113681 on: February 14, 2022, 02:55:41 pm »

One could make 3118ii which, because it must be in at least base j (= 1910), would be much bigger.

Even closer.
I had a bias, the frame, so my guess of scientific 9E8 was far off.

The correct answer was 3118^11.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113682 on: February 14, 2022, 02:58:44 pm »
FFS how many times do you have to be told, wagos do NOT work the same way as a "backstab" connector.

And screw terminals are the absolute worst; they shear through conductors, and they loosen due to thermal cycling.

Twisting wires together is for people still living in a ghetto-fab daydream in the 1970s
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113683 on: February 14, 2022, 03:01:35 pm »
There was the old joke that Ireland was planning to change to LHD too. To make things easier they decided that trucks and buses would swap on the 1st of January and if all went well, passenger cars would swap over from the 1st of February.  :)

McBryce.
I remember great-gramma Eddards tellin' me aboot the Eye-rishhh... ;)

She had it on good authority that the Irish gave the bagpipe to the Scots as a joke; but they never caught on.  >:D

mnem
"It might not scream so loud if you'd quit squeezin' it to death..."   :o

Yup, and whisky was invented to stop us from conquering the world!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113684 on: February 14, 2022, 03:03:01 pm »

The correct answer was 3118^11.

How do you make the ^ ?  There aren't any left over parts to make the symbol.

Ohhh   311811      Nevermind....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113685 on: February 14, 2022, 03:04:03 pm »
FFS how many times do you have to be told, wagos do NOT work the same way as a "backstab" connector. And screw terminals are the absolute worst; they shear through conductors, and they loosen due to thermal cycling. Twisting wires together is for people still living in a ghetto-fab daydream in the 1970s
How many times do you have to be told... I don't fucking care?

I'm not arguing one way or another at this point... I've made my decision on the subject, based on my experience. But there simply isn't enough body of proof that WAGOs are in fact any better over time, and there simply cannot be, as they haven't even existed long enough to make that claim. PERIOD.

That is FACT. All other arguments are supposition until they actually have been around for over 40 years, like backstab connectors, and provided that they no longer have the problems that early versions had.

So at least another 20 years...? By which time the body of evidence with backstabs and early-gen WAGOs will be 60 years old and...

Oh sweet cheese and crackers...  :palm:

mnem
Well... the odds of me being around in 20 years to argue the point are pretty slim, so I guess I really don't GAF...  ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:36:02 pm by mnementh »

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113686 on: February 14, 2022, 03:05:12 pm »
next week end of insane instrument auction here in Denmark
have a look
https://campenauktioner.hibid.com/catalog/348344/7277-net--flytteauktion-cobham-del-4---testudstyr--pandrup-/

Who will be the temp longshoreman?

BTW,
I'd go pretty far with even stock TDS2002.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113687 on: February 14, 2022, 03:07:29 pm »
I think the forum went down for a while earlier this morning  :--

Ok, then, seeing as the thread is slightly off the rails with all the chatter about driving etc, lets see how many of you will get this question right. About 20 years a go, the BBC had a poll to see what was considered to be the greatest car off all time and these are the contenders:-

McLaren F1
Ford Mustang
Black Taxi Cab
Rolls Royce
E Type Jaguar
Land Rover
Audi Quattro
Fiat 500
Citroen DS

And the winner is  :-//

What a stupid question, every one of those cars is in a different class, it's pointless to compare them.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113688 on: February 14, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »
Local rag had a problem picture.
What is the biggest number you can make if you can move two sticks.

3118!

;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113689 on: February 14, 2022, 03:16:41 pm »
I think the forum went down for a while earlier this morning  :--

Ok, then, seeing as the thread is slightly off the rails with all the chatter about driving etc, lets see how many of you will get this question right. About 20 years a go, the BBC had a poll to see what was considered to be the greatest car off all time and these are the contenders:-

McLaren F1
Ford Mustang
Black Taxi Cab
Rolls Royce
E Type Jaguar
Land Rover
Audi Quattro
Fiat 500
Citroen DS

And the winner is  :-//

What a stupid question, every one of those cars is in a different class, it's pointless to compare them.
But this is The Beeb we're talking aboot here. Isn't that kindof their stock in trade...?

Ooooh.... we could just mash them all together...   

mnem
Oh, and bringing us Doctor Who.  >:D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:46:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113690 on: February 14, 2022, 03:43:36 pm »
https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/not-race-team-builds-homer-simpson-car-500-article-1.1393003   >:D

Quote from: The Homer 24 Hours of LeMons Article
"...Porcubimmer Motors has previously entered the LeMons race with a porcupine-themed BMW, described by Linquist as "the only BMW with the pricks on the outside." The group's second model brought Stephen King's Christine to life.

mnem
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:56:43 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113691 on: February 14, 2022, 03:46:28 pm »
Where's the Ford Model T, the Volkswagen Beetle, the Citroen Traction Avant, the Lamborghini Muira, the Lancia Stratos, the Peugeot 205, the BMW E46 M3, the Toyota Corolla, I could go on and on and on.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113692 on: February 14, 2022, 03:48:18 pm »
next week end of insane instrument auction here in Denmark
have a look
https://campenauktioner.hibid.com/catalog/348344/7277-net--flytteauktion-cobham-del-4---testudstyr--pandrup-/

Who will be the temp longshoreman?

BTW,
I'd go pretty far with even stock TDS2002.

1 DKK = £0.112279 GBP
1 DKK = 0.151867 USD

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113693 on: February 14, 2022, 03:54:08 pm »
Where's the Ford Model T, the Volkswagen Beetle, the Citroen Traction Avant, the Lamborghini Muira, the Lancia Stratos, the Peugeot 205, the BMW E46 M3, the Toyota Corolla, I could go on and on and on.

For that matter where is The Ford Pinto,  The AMC Gremlin,  The Pontiac Aztek,  Rover Metro 100,  Renault Fuego Turbo,   Morris/Austin Marina, and of course the G-Wiz?

For a decade or more nearly all news articles about electric cars featured a photo of a G-Wiz.   Eventually they replaced that with an iMiev, which then became the stock photo.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113694 on: February 14, 2022, 04:03:53 pm »

I think that WAS a response to Med's suggestion of an AMC Pacer, as in "There's no much wrong with that I don't know where to begin." or Señor Leghorn would have had it "The poor dumb, I say the poor dumb Yankee's brains are so addled that can't tell gettin' up time from goin' to the pot time.".

To AMC's credit... they did have some forward-thinking going on in the design department. I loved my '71 Javelin, and yes it was highly derivative of all the ponycars that went before, but I loved the car (I think it was grateful to be saved from the crusher); and if they'd survived another few years, the Eagle (the original mini-SUV) would have saved the company.

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113695 on: February 14, 2022, 04:20:09 pm »
FFS how many times do you have to be told, wagos do NOT work the same way as a "backstab" connector. And screw terminals are the absolute worst; they shear through conductors, and they loosen due to thermal cycling. Twisting wires together is for people still living in a ghetto-fab daydream in the 1970s

If you "don't fucking care?" why all the screaming text.?

That's remarkably emotive for someone why says they don't care.

You can't say both "I'm not going to argue it" and keep commenting on it. A "mic drop" doesn't work if you keep coming back and picking it up again. Ending a statement with "PERIOD" and then carrying on typing is a contradiction in terms.

Pick a position and stick with it. Either you don't care and therefore don't comment, or you do care, in which case please try and make your arguments calmly and reasonably rather than in typography that looks like a toddler throwing its toys out of the pram. All convinces me of is that you're making an emotional argument in favour of what's familiar and comfortable to you, rather than in favour of what is actually objectively best.

In fact I'd be best persuaded "who has the best wire joining strategy" by national statistics on per-dwelling electrical fires and per capita electrocution by faulty fixed wiring installations.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113696 on: February 14, 2022, 04:29:42 pm »

That's easy to answer for the Italian examples, one caught fire from an electrical fault and the other's now a small pile of rust. The Traction Avant is stuck in a farmer's ploughed field with a very out of date basket of eggs on the passenger seat. The model T is lost inside a barn with a black painted interior, the Beetle's metamorphosed into a dune buggy driven by Franz Kafka, the M3's been written off by one of the "pricks on the inside", the Peugeot is on strike and is picketing a priorité à droite junction and the Corolla is still being driven by the dolly bird who first bought it, who is now a 93 year old widow with too many cats.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:31:16 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113697 on: February 14, 2022, 04:33:19 pm »
Hmm, seems I'm probably in need of a MIC5841xxx '8-Bit Serial-Input Latched Driver' for a naughty TDS620B that doesn't seem to be switching attenuator relays on one of the input hybrids.

Anyone got a couple of these things? Damn chip shortages......... I'd rather not have to pull one from a 'spare' acquisition board that isn't really all that spare..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113698 on: February 14, 2022, 04:35:11 pm »

For that matter where is The Ford Pinto,  The AMC Gremlin,  The Pontiac Aztek,  Rover Metro 100,  Renault Fuego Turbo,   Morris/Austin Marina, and of course the G-Wiz?

For a decade or more nearly all news articles about electric cars featured a photo of a G-Wiz.   Eventually they replaced that with an iMiev, which then became the stock photo.

Maybe that was over there. Over here, it was the EV1 (until it was the Prius), a car so beloved by its drivers that many refused to give them back at the end of the market-trial lease, and GM actually hired bounty hunters to track them down when their big-oil cronies decided to murder the whole idea of EV for another generation in favor of Hummers and Escalades. :palm:

Fun Fact: The EV1 was based on the Saturn SL1 platform, and used a 3-PH induction motor/single-speed transaxle with Lead-Acid batteries which performed well compared to similar ICE compact cars and had a very respectable 100-mile range. Later NiMH models bumped that up to 160 miles.

mnem
*tzzzzzzzt*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:39:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113699 on: February 14, 2022, 04:49:36 pm »

If you "don't fucking care?" why all the screaming text.?

That's remarkably emotive for someone why says they don't care.

You can't say both "I'm not going to argue it" and keep commenting on it. A "mic drop" doesn't work if you keep coming back and picking it up again. Ending a statement with "PERIOD" and then carrying on typing is a contradiction in terms.

Pick a position and stick with it. Either you don't care and therefore don't comment, or you do care, in which case please try and make your arguments calmly and reasonably rather than in typography that looks like a toddler throwing its toys out of the pram. All convinces me of is that you're making an emotional argument in favour of what's familiar and comfortable to you, rather than in favour of what is actually objectively best.

In fact I'd be best persuaded "who has the best wire joining strategy" by national statistics on per-dwelling electrical fires and per capita electrocution by faulty fixed wiring installations.
"I don't fucking care" as in "I don't care about all the supposed benefits". As in "I don't care how many times you and others say they're not like backstab connectors, I've looked closely at both and I think they really are very similar."

NOT screaming text.   THIS IS SCREAMING TEXT!!!   The bold and red were chosen to represent the fires and feeling of alarm associated with backstab connectors, nothing more.

Maybe if people stopped constantly posting videos like this one, which supposedly "makes a fair and unbiased comparison" yet when the WAGO doesn't prove itself superior by the video's own metrics, still extolls the virtue of the WAGO (mostly, that it is in fact the quick and lazy way to make the connection) anyways, I might not get so annoyed and feel a need to push back. ::)

I'm just really tired of hearing it. So... now y'all have a new stick to poke the dwagon with. Have fun.  :-DD

mnem
But be prepared for the response. ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:11:54 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf