Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16689722 times)

Vgkid, djadeski, Vince, Peter_O and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113350 on: February 09, 2022, 07:38:21 pm »
Finally, one of the new VC-TCXOs was pressed into service. It fits just fine (for now)  :-/O

A quick check on the counter, adjusted to 10.00... Then onwards to the scope, adjusted until it "stays" in phase.
Then wind out the time base to see jitter over a bit longer time span:

The jitter comparison (CTI OCXO#1 vs new TCXO) trend plot reveals.. what I (naively) hoped to see from the start.
"Just" random noise. And not a lot of it! I might have danced a little happy dance  ::)
For comparison, this is old CTS OCXO vs CTI OCXO#1:

Take note this noise plot is in 500m° per Div vs 100m° per Div for the new one above  :box:
For completeness, this is CTI OCXO#1 vs sick CTI OCXO#2 with funky Phase modulation:

From the plots above one might speculate the CTI has still a bit lower random noise than the TCXO
(and really, that is what I am led to believe is to be expected) but in comparison to the CTS, quite spectecular!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113351 on: February 09, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »
Just call me a cab...

OK, Mr. Calloway.

P.S. Have you got Minnie's number?

I wonder how many people will understand that. I do, due to my father's tastes.

One only has to have seen "The Blues Brothers". Cab's rendition of Minnie the Moocher (at age 73 at the time) is arguably the highlight of the film, admittedly vying with Aretha's rendition of R.E.S.P.E.C.T., Carrie Fisher trying to kill her husband with a recoilless rifle and, of course, the immortal:

Elwood Blues: It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses.
Jake Blues: Hit it!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, THDplusN_bad, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113352 on: February 09, 2022, 07:44:02 pm »
OT: Holy Fucking Asscrackers... these guys are 10 minutes away from my house.   *wibble*  :o

https://www.aalloys.com/

mnem
So many services...   
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113353 on: February 09, 2022, 07:57:45 pm »
Cerebus: Please keep the pictures of the Variac coming, you might just coax me into designing something better for mine than the cardboard box it was delivered in! :D

Not a variac, it was just that it (in bare form as was) tends to get used with my variac as a variable low voltage AC power source. So just a toroidal transformer in a box basically. Now finished but it's time for food so no 'finished' photos yet.

My variac came in very shabby case that I too have been meaning to replace for ages. It's quite possible that that's the next bit of kit to get the "make the damn thing tidy" treatment.

The following users thanked this post: Per Hansson

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #113354 on: February 09, 2022, 08:02:10 pm »
Just call me a cab...

OK, Mr. Calloway.

One only has to have seen "The Blues Brothers". Cab's rendition of Minnie the Moocher (at age 73 at the time) is arguably the highlight of the film, admittedly vying with Aretha's rendition of R.E.S.P.E.C.T., Carrie Fisher trying to kill her husband with a recoilless rifle and, of course, the immortal:

Elwood Blues: It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses.

"Lotsa space in this mall!"

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113355 on: February 09, 2022, 08:08:37 pm »
Geez, I can't believe how this TTi LCR meter went for on eBay, sold as is, no power lead or anything else with it but it still fetched £192  :phew:

I had in my crosshairs but at that price it wouldn't be coming home with me that's for damn sure.  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-Thandar-Instruments-LCR400-Precision-LCR-Bridge-/373911926965
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113356 on: February 09, 2022, 08:10:41 pm »
It'll be fine, I'll get outbid. The only meters* I'm still really keen to acquire are a Solartron 7061/71 and a Prema 5.5/6.5 digit with red dot matrix display. A Keithley 2001, HP 3457A, or Fluke 8846 could all tempt me if the price was right.

EDIT: *Bench meters. You could easily lead me over a cliff with any number of handhelds...

I have a  :-DMM 7071 AND a  :-BROKE 2001 i'm not using.......

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113357 on: February 09, 2022, 08:23:05 pm »
Just call me a cab...

OK, Mr. Calloway.

Never seen that film.

I would have either hear records, or seen either of these on TV

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113358 on: February 09, 2022, 08:26:00 pm »
Geez, I can't believe how this TTi LCR meter went for on eBay, sold as is, no power lead or anything else with it but it still fetched £192  :phew:

I had in my crosshairs but at that price it wouldn't be coming home with me that's for damn sure.  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-Thandar-Instruments-LCR400-Precision-LCR-Bridge-/373911926965

Wasn't me, that does seem quite a lot, but then again Farnell have them new at around £1k with VAT.
Think I'd rather have some test leads with it than a power lead. The power lead would probably just end up straight in the bin if no-name cheap crap.  :bullshit:

David

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #113359 on: February 09, 2022, 08:26:22 pm »

Never seen that film.
:o  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113360 on: February 09, 2022, 08:34:48 pm »
Just gave these cheap plastic cases a chance. I tried to store all my "excess" coax adapters in it.

Seems to work quite well... think I will leave it like that.

That frees one Chinese-slave wooden drawer which I can now repurpose.

Right half of the case : 50R stuff (banana adapters, sockets, Tees, 75R terminations, right angle M/F, MISC.
Top left : in a bag, all the "MiniQuick" items, as I will probably never use any of that stuff.
Bottom left : 75R stuff : banana adapters, 75R terminations, right-angle PCB mount sockets, straight PCB mount sockets, panel mount sockets.

I guess I might add a few labels here and there to help me remember what's what... because of course in 3 days I will have forgotten about it, never mind in 12 months when I open that case again...

4 more cases to fill...I need ideas....

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 08:38:57 pm by Vince »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113361 on: February 09, 2022, 09:00:44 pm »

Wasn't me, that does seem quite a lot, but then again Farnell have them new at around £1k with VAT.
Think I'd rather have some test leads with it than a power lead. The power lead would probably just end up straight in the bin if no-name cheap crap.  :bullshit:

David
Thats the thing, it doesn't need any leads as the cap leads are held in the 2 black clamp terminals on the right.

Strange, I thought that that device was no longer in production but as you rightly said, Farnell have new stock expected in April 22, but £1058 each, I guess I'll stick with my XJW01 which does more than the TTi does anyway. I guess the TTi is more of a pass/fail instrument used in industry seeing as it is programmable, so you enter parameters required for the benchmarks, and you get a pass or fail indication that would be required in the testing / QA labs.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113362 on: February 09, 2022, 09:02:36 pm »
OT: Holy Fucking Asscrackers... these guys are 10 minutes away from my house.   *wibble* :o

Yes, that's to be expected with P&W one town over. That usually means there's good work to be found in one of the supporting industries. If one's content with the military-industrial complex as employer, that is.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113363 on: February 09, 2022, 09:16:30 pm »

Yeah I was watching that one too, and wasn't surprised at all; it's the third to go for similar money recently. There's a Wayne Kerr for you to pitch a lowball at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284602778594

It'll be fine, I'll get outbid. The only meters* I'm still really keen to acquire are a Solartron 7061/71 and a Prema 5.5/6.5 digit with red dot matrix display. A Keithley 2001, HP 3457A, or Fluke 8846 could all tempt me if the price was right.

EDIT: *Bench meters. You could easily lead me over a cliff with any number of handhelds...

I have a  :-DMM 7071 AND a  :-BROKE 2001 i'm not using.......

And unless they are phkt I can't afford either of them, and if they are, I already have an unfeasibly long repair queue   :-/O  :-BROKE  :palm:

I really need to get some surplus stuff ready for posting and get it sold.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113364 on: February 09, 2022, 09:16:58 pm »

David
Thats the thing, it doesn't need any leads as the cap leads are held in the 2 black clamp terminals on the right.

Strange, I thought that that device was no longer in production but as you rightly said, Farnell have new stock expected in April 22, but £1058 each, I guess I'll stick with my XJW01 which does more than the TTi does anyway. I guess the TTi is more of a pass/fail instrument used in industry seeing as it is programmable, so you enter parameters required for the benchmarks, and you get a pass or fail indication that would be required in the testing / QA labs.

The older (discontinued) LCR databridge had optional leads, but we had to make do with bodged croc leads at work, for easier testing of axial caps and parts with short leads. The Kelvin lead is an optional extra for the LCR400 too. https://www.aimtti.com/product-category/lcr-measurement/aim-lcr400 only £116 plus VAT.  :o

David

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:23:06 pm by factory »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113365 on: February 09, 2022, 09:37:47 pm »
Cerebus: Please keep the pictures of the Variac coming, you might just coax me into designing something better for mine than the cardboard box it was delivered in! :D

Not a variac, it was just that it (in bare form as was) tends to get used with my variac as a variable low voltage AC power source. So just a toroidal transformer in a box basically. Now finished but it's time for food so no 'finished' photos yet.

My variac came in very shabby case that I too have been meaning to replace for ages. It's quite possible that that's the next bit of kit to get the "make the damn thing tidy" treatment.

I'm also down that lane. My Philips variac has been mounted in a surplus Schroff 6HE Baugruppenträger / subrack. Plan is to combine it with a 1:1 isolation transformer and a HV rectifier, so I can get 200+ V DC unregulated off of it. And AC, of course.  I'm currently halted at the "getting a 6HE 84 TE front plate" part.

Edit: I also need to make real my project to build something like 3x12HE 19" racks at the bench too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:46:37 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113366 on: February 09, 2022, 09:59:34 pm »

That poor power supply! Having undoubtedly survived much, proving that it still works faithfully in the hope to secure a good new home - only to get mounted by a blaring, gaudy abomination!

Does this make you feel better?   Kidding aside, I don't have the room or the TE budget that most of you have.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:01:55 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113367 on: February 09, 2022, 10:04:10 pm »
CONTACT CLEANER

Sorry for yelling, just in case your hearing device batteries were flat  >:D

I have run out of Deoxit D5, can I bough 4 years ago is empty, with 60% of the stuff being wasted as the nozzle was leaking massively and most of the stuff was dripping on the floor and my pants, rather than going out the nozzle. Not impressed.

Anyway. Cheap in the US where it's made, but very expensive in France.
The official importer retails it at 45 Euros, 55/60 buck or so, would you believe it ?

https://www.cotelec.fr/boutique/produits-d-entretien-caig/595-deoxit-d-series.html

Googling a bit, I found it for 40% cheaper, on this guitar / audio web site called "Reverb" ;

https://reverb.com/p/caig-deoxit-d-series-contact-cleaner-5oz

At 27 Euros. Much better, but then add 5.5 Euro for shipping 32.5 Euros for a can.. still quite a bit eh ?!  :scared:

" Reverb ", that name rings a bell, I think that's where I must have bought my can back then.

Anyway, trying to save money, and seeing as I will be placing an order fairly soon on Farnell or TME for some caps to recap my Tek 2467B scope, I thought I might try a different, cheaper cleaner.

So do you have any experience / recommendation for some cleaner from a well know brand, that I could get from Farnell ?

I don't know, what brands are there... Servisol, KF, CIrcuitWorks etc etc...

I am not a Chemist so I don't know what's equivalent to the Deoxit D5.

I do understand that not all cleaners are the same, though. At the very least I gather that :

- Some have solvents, some don't.
- Some actively dissolve oxidization.
- Some provide lubrication once evaporated, some don't and let things dry afterward.
- Some, like WD40, over time, damage/ degrade phenolic parts like found in all the vintage wafer switches, or cheap/most pots.
- Some make larger flames than others when used under power.
- Some taste better than others when sprayed on lettuce as a condiment.

I am going to bed and will be reading all your lovely helpful replies with the greatest of interest tomorrow !  :=\
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:09:34 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113368 on: February 09, 2022, 10:09:24 pm »
OT: Holy Fucking Asscrackers... these guys are 10 minutes away from my house.   *wibble* :o
Yes, that's to be expected with P&W one town over. That usually means there's good work to be found in one of the supporting industries. If one's content with the military-industrial complex as employer, that is.
Been dere, dunnat. Oh, and whaddaya know... they were recently absorbed by Raytheon, the same people who bought my little NirvanaCorp just to dismantle it and destroy the market they'd created for themselves.

Shit. No matter where I go, I can't get away from the same old bastards...  :palm:

mnem
*toddles off to find something positive... somewhere...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113369 on: February 09, 2022, 10:33:18 pm »

That poor power supply! Having undoubtedly survived much, proving that it still works faithfully in the hope to secure a good new home - only to get mounted by a blaring, gaudy abomination!

Does this make you feel better?   Kidding aside, I don't have the room or the TE budget that most of you have.

Let me help you then ! keep your most capable meter (the Racal-Dana I presume ? ) and sell the two Chinese ones : you gain both space AND money.

I know, I know... the Chinese ones have their merits as well so you want to keep them... they do have a very large LCD and with huge easy to read digits. That's quite valuable for a bench meter, I admit.
Aneng can talk too I guess, so will be helpful once you can't see squat due to age, though I guess that's probably not the main reason that led you to buy it....

If you like I can send you a nice Metrix MX53/C handheld DMM, have too many of them...

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113370 on: February 09, 2022, 11:38:46 pm »
Bluetooth speaker and thermometer is a new one, never seen that in a multimeter before....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113371 on: February 09, 2022, 11:42:41 pm »
mF for micro Farad is just wrong. µF is correct.

Just so, but uF is also acceptable at a pinch.

Using mF is as pig ignorant as mS for milliseconds, or using kW where kWh is relevant (or vice versa).

Back in the day, milliFarads were pretty much the thing of fantasy for most people, & those few that did exist were called out as multiples of 1000uF, ie, 1000uF, 2200 uF, etc. (& yes, I've forgotten how to do "micro" symbols on this device).

As "mF" was virtually unused, many  thought "Everybody will know what I'm talking about", & went with "mF" for "microFarad", or even, (horror of horrors), "MFD"! :scared:  :scared:
Remember SI didn't exist for much of this time.

SI has existed for longer than many people think, 62 years to be precise, and in proto form for 74 years.

"The 9th CGPM [in 1948] also approved the first formal recommendation for the writing of symbols in the metric system when the basis of the rules as they are now known was laid down."

"In 1960, the 11th CGPM synthesised the results of the 12-year study into a set of 16 resolutions. The system was named the International System of Units, abbreviated SI from the French name, Le Système International d'Unités."

To some of the stuff I used & worked on in my young days, 1948 was "yesterday".
Electronics had a huge expansion in the previous 40 years.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113372 on: February 09, 2022, 11:46:12 pm »
Just gave these cheap plastic cases a chance. I tried to store all my "excess" coax adapters in it.

Don't label it now! Soon you will need to restructure it anyway..

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113373 on: February 09, 2022, 11:49:00 pm »
HP6235A arrived.  Throwing caution to the wind, I plugged it in for a quick check. 

I was trying to find a way to refer to that thing, but couldn't find the words.
You, however, nailed it! :D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113374 on: February 10, 2022, 12:04:54 am »
To some of the stuff I used & worked on in my young days, 1948 was "yesterday".
Electronics had a huge expansion in the previous 40 years.

Yeah well, like the SI you have existed for longer than many people think.  You probably remember when you first got them fancy new Leyden jars. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf