Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16693465 times)

TERRA Operative and 85 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113300 on: February 09, 2022, 05:44:39 am »
This thread of mine comes to mind when it comes to mF :)

Some people really don't get SI units, and I don't mean you, Per!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113301 on: February 09, 2022, 06:47:16 am »

Found this colour table that's more complete than most, and it does indeed say there can be a colour band for tempco !  And yellow is a valid colour... means 25ppm... twice better than my metal 1% resistors !  :o

I could never find a good, complete one - so I made my own.

Here, have a copy of the Cerebus colour code - including a printable pdf with E series numbers on.

Not quite complete - you missed no band, and pink. Cubdriver is probably right here, though if you want to find the value for yellow as relates to failure in MIL-SPEC, get ready for a rabbit hole adventure. Neomys might be able to provide you with an answer in a shorter time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code

EDIT: @Cubdriver I know you specified 0.001% for yellow for failure rate, but I'm guessing that's US MIL, Vince is more likely to have acquired either a NATO or EU variant which isn't necessarily the same.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:51:38 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113302 on: February 09, 2022, 06:49:05 am »
I do NOT need a vinyl cutter...

Why am I still even thinking about it ..... ?   :palm:

Did I say you can also make your own T-shirts if you've got one?

Need to look up which one of those is sitting in storage.
I guess I have too much stuff.
Normally I would refer to this as a cutting plotter. Did I miss something ?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113303 on: February 09, 2022, 07:23:01 am »

please stop.

I just realised, sort of irritatingly connect-the-dots way what you lot are actually talking about, and that one of those exists right under my nose. My wife owns a Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. Which she bought, and uses. She's not -- yet -- tried vinyl. But I've suddenly got projects. Lots of projects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113304 on: February 09, 2022, 08:41:13 am »
I've got a small 50VA toroidal transformer that I've had kicking about for years. I use it with a variac for breadboarding small linear supplies and the like i.e. pretty much anything that I need a low voltage AC supply for. I decided that it was really time that it got a proper box of its own, with luxuries like a mains switch, filter and fuses - which is what the hammond box was for and why I was bitching about missing drill bits the other day.

Finally got the drill bits, made some holes and painted the damn thing. Amazing how some simple projects seem to drag out. Anyway, the paint has had a day to dry and I've cut out some graphics and labelling on the vinyl cutter and applied them. I'm almost at the point where i can do the fun bit - assembling everything and doing some soldering.

I like that a lot, but there seems to be an issue with the bottom 2 holes lining up, are they slightly off-centre or is the bottom graphic slightly different to the top one? Without the graphic it would not have been noticeable, but still a very nice neat job and I like the paint finish. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113305 on: February 09, 2022, 08:49:46 am »
checked my pile and stumbled across a Refine 361. hmmm.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113306 on: February 09, 2022, 10:41:50 am »

New rabbit hole, new frustration... Installed VSCode, PlatformIO, lots of libraries, downloaded Marlin 2.0.9 and.... Compiling the software even without changing anything results in a failed compile with multiple errors that all mean nothing to me :( Tried the bugfix version, same result with different errors.

McBryce.
Recent versions of Marlin are 32-bit and no longer use ArduIDE, but PlatformIO. As I said earlier; not at all comfortable with that, so haven't fucked around with my CR-6SE yet.

I will look into Klipper; that resonance tuning would be a godsend on my floopy old Tornado.

mnem
 :-/O
The current marlin can be compiled for 8 bit boards.  And you can still compile it with the Arduino IDE if you wish, even though it's set up for PlatformIO.

PlatformIO is much more powerful though, once you get it set up and climb the learning curve (which I am still doing.)  I'd also recommend installing the C++ Intellisense and the GitLens extensions.  Gitlens is an extension that integrates git into vscode more.  It does things like, as you move through each line of code, tells you who last committed a change to that line of code in the repository. 

PlatformIO can automate a lot of stuff.  Like for my job, I am learning how to compile firmware for different printer models, and we have it set up with a sort of "jobs" tree where we can make a change to the code, then just open up the tree on the side and pick a printer model, and PlatformIO will change a bunch of compiler defines and re-compile the code automatically.   Maybe not as useful for a hobbyist that only has one printer to compile for but it saves us lots of time at work.

My current battle at work is figuring out how to use vscode and openocd and an atmel-ice debug probe to do real debugging of the marlin firmware on an Archim2 board. I am not yet successful with that...
It was my understanding that only 1.9.x are intended for 8-bit, and that 2.x.x are all intended for 32-bit and PlatformIO. My dabblings with P-IO yielded similar results to McBryce above; I just didn't need the BS at the time so back-burnered the project. :-//

I assumed that 2.x.x could be compiled using the STM32duino IDE/Tools, but that's just another new IDE and toolboxto learn, and I needed to be using my CR6-SE, not doing brain surgery on it. That will have to to wait until I have Mad Scientist Lair time and money. ;)

mnem
*poke-ily... prod-dity... scope-ity*
I tried compiling it and got it to work. The trick is not only to install PlatformIO in VSCode, but also AutoBuildMarlin. Then I downloaded the marlin source, unzipped it and replaced the config with the appropriate example. Opened the folder "Marlin-2.0.9.3" in vscode and clicked the "autobuildmarlin" button on the left hand side symbol bar. It showed up on the right side with the expected information from the example config. Clicked "build" on the upper build environment (e.g. STM23F103RET_creality). It took a while, but it came up with it.

I went back to the original screen because the touchscreen firmware is closed source and I couldn't be bothered re-writing the entire UI just to get it to a state where it supports all the Marlin features I need. I've configured and compiled Marlin 2.0.9.3 for the original screen and will use that until I get the motivation to re-write the touchscreen firmware (the day after never). PlatformIO is ok, but it's a bit buggy and I've found that it will sometimes retain/report errors that have been corrected until you completely close and re-open VSCode (that one had me occupied for at least an hour). Now I can get back to hardware things.

Btw: Marlin 2.0.9.3 source also has a few gotcha's to keep you busy. The main one being that the download Zip doesn't contain all the required include files for the STM32.

As for McBryce's 32-bit/Trinamic board... I'd guess his is one of the many that came with the drivers soldered in; I'm pretty sure he's savvy enuf to know the Trinamic drivers are platform-agnostic.  ;) That said... I imagine that if he wants to enable a bunch of features along with managing those drivers in the firmware, he may very well need the 32-bit processor to do it all. Especially if he's using a touchscreen panel.

mnem

I am just getting into the Marlin stuff so I don't know if there are features in the mainline Marlin code that we aren't using at Lulzbot, that if enabled would be too much for the 8-bit boards.  Could be, but one interesting thing is that a lot of the touchscreen panels, including the ones we  use at Lulzbot, have a secondary processor right on the LCD.  So the main board running Marlin isn't pushing pixels directly to the LCD constantly.  Instead it sends higher level GUI commands to the LCD to draw buttons and display text and stuff, and the chip on the LCD handles that, and sends back coordinates of touches on the screen.  So having the high res touch screen probably doesn't add much overhead over the older style "glcd" that most printers use, including the non-touchscreen Lulzbot models.  We even use a touchscreen on the Lulzbot Bio printer that runs the same 8-bit controller as the Lulzbot Mini 2 and Sidekick printers.

The Creality Touchscreen is a DGUS/DWIN device with its own processor and OS. The graphics are bitmaps stored on the screen in ICL format. There's a rather user-unfriendly application to program them. Each bitmap then has defined zones for the touchscreen. So the Marlin board is telling the DWIN board what bitmap to show (the bitmap names obviously have to be identical to those in the Marlin firmware for this to work) and the screen is sending commands back to the Marlin board depending on the zone that gets pressed. The display has its own micro-SD slot to flash the DWIN_SET that the dev-app compiles.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 10:55:32 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #113307 on: February 09, 2022, 10:56:39 am »
Mouser has shipped.

Local company Electrokit has shipped.

JLC still are working on the pcbs. And I wonder what I actually sent them...  :scared: Some of the Gerber visualisations in their tool are not 100%. But I'll bodge it, as it's probably my fault anyway.  :palm:  |O

Lunch today is 85% leftovers; Croquette De Poisson avec Pommes de terre purées et sauce Hollandaise agrémentée d'aneth. I had to make the Hollandaise from scratch, so that accounts for the 15%.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113308 on: February 09, 2022, 11:07:10 am »
[yellow stripe]

I'm with TO and AVG.
Who else would paint the other leg and nitpick with height so that poking(?) is asymmetrical.

edit,
quote picture didn't survive.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:09:49 am by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113309 on: February 09, 2022, 11:09:02 am »
I've got a small 50VA toroidal transformer that I've had kicking about for years. I use it with a variac for breadboarding small linear supplies and the like i.e. pretty much anything that I need a low voltage AC supply for. I decided that it was really time that it got a proper box of its own, with luxuries like a mains switch, filter and fuses - which is what the hammond box was for and why I was bitching about missing drill bits the other day.

Finally got the drill bits, made some holes and painted the damn thing. Amazing how some simple projects seem to drag out. Anyway, the paint has had a day to dry and I've cut out some graphics and labelling on the vinyl cutter and applied them. I'm almost at the point where i can do the fun bit - assembling everything and doing some soldering.

I like that a lot, but there seems to be an issue with the bottom 2 holes lining up, are they slightly off-centre or is the bottom graphic slightly different to the top one? Without the graphic it would not have been noticeable, but still a very nice neat job and I like the paint finish. :-+

Did a similar variable AC supply a good number of years ago. Got a surplus 115VAC 5A variac, unusable as it was designed for 400Hz operation. So took a 12V 50VA toroidal transformer, and connected the secondary to the variac, and use it as a variable 0-12VAC power source, which is capable of 5A output, and fitted it into a surplus moulded PCB shipping box, as there were plenty of those around.  Both fitted perfectly, and it works well for the supply, and for a long time it was driving a 50W 50mm halogen downlighter, used as a desktop light, as the full brightness was a little too much light, and turning it down to around 6VAC was enough light.

Now the desk light got a LED upgrade a while ago, replacing the 50W halogen inside with a section of aluminium U channel , which has 4 3W LED star PCB's epoxied to it, and a 12V 10W driver box.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113310 on: February 09, 2022, 11:12:47 am »

Sure looks nice, but I wonder how does the vinyl stick to the surface ? Does it have a sticky back ?
And then I am extremely worried about the durability of vinyl over the years ? I mean abrasion heat, dirt, scratches, chemicals etc... I would like to make custom artwork on the face plate of my future projects, but I am looking at more durable solution, like printing directly on the face plate + clear coat,  or engraving + paint filling  + clear coat, or laser engraving... I don't know what other techniques might be out there, but I want to try a bit of everything until I find something that works for me...

But vinyl seems like a nice quick solution, at least at the prototyping stage, or to get something done quick.

could we see your machine ? I didn't know about this technique, no idea what the machine looks like, the process from stat to finish, how to apply it blah blah blah... and how much it costs to buy the machine and consumables, what the learning curve is like using the machine, etc etc...

Planes are taped.

Though narrow line is different.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113311 on: February 09, 2022, 11:47:19 am »

You're not helping.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113312 on: February 09, 2022, 11:47:50 am »

7g net carb, 370 Cal.

mnem
that is all.

370 Calories that's WITHOUT the huge blob of mayonnaise, nor the can of Coca Cola !!  :-DD

Don't fool yourself  >:D

The Coke Zero jumped out at me the second I saw the pic.

You need to pay a bit more attention before criticising the Dwagon when it comes to foodstuffs.

So it appears in USA, it is still "Coke Zero".
For some reason, they changed the name to "Coke No Sugar" in Oz! ::)
If you are not a purchaser of that particular beverage, the name change could have been easily missed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:53:05 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113313 on: February 09, 2022, 12:12:58 pm »

please stop.

You do realise that they take pen holders too and thus can also be used as plotters? That big one would make nice wall sized schematics.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113314 on: February 09, 2022, 12:31:04 pm »

please stop.
You do realize that they take pen holders too and thus can also be used as plotters? That big one would make nice wall sized schematics.
Damn... that's a 3 hour drive from me. *wibble* :scared:

mnem
bitches... ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 12:37:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113315 on: February 09, 2022, 12:47:08 pm »
Bugger; an expensive few days.

Bought a Tek A6902B isolator and a calculator without an equals key (or any keys for that matter)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113316 on: February 09, 2022, 12:49:03 pm »

I fluffed up the transfer of the graphics slightly, those long straight lines are very easy to mis-place. Once the fuseholder and 4mm socket are on it'll be almost unnoticeable. I could have ripped it off and done it again but there's a time to be a perfectionist and there's a time not to be, this just needs to be neat, not perfect. I could have put phase dots on the transform and ratings for the secondary fuses but I skipped those too in the interests of alacrity.

As far as the paint job goes, there too it's a compromise. I can achieve a mirror finish if I really want to, but I wasn't in the mood to wait for the paint to fully harden and then cut it back with several different grits and polishing compound. Plus if you're working without a proper spray booth and thus without filtered air, and I'm most certainly not, you have to learn to tolerate the odd blemish as dust or overspray settles onto the wet paint.

I have toyed with the idea of having a chat with one of the local car paint shops and seeing if they'd be prepared to shoot boxes with a couple of coats of whatever reasonably light and neutral colour 2K is in the gun today for the jobs already on hand. One could probably get that done for beer money and it'd be a lot less hassle. I actually have a reasonably meaty compressor and a proper Devilbiss HVLP gun but it's not worth the cleanup for small jobs like this, so I stick to rattle cans for these. I'd get a better finish faster with the Devilbiss (last time I had it out it took me about 45 seconds per coat, per side to paint a large radiator, and about 30-45 minutes per coat to paint the whole living room) but the cleanup time would make the whole job run to much longer overall.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113317 on: February 09, 2022, 12:57:02 pm »

You're not helping.

I am helping in the only way we know how to around here. I'm also pointing out the crafting features that give it high WAF/GAF/PAF.  :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113318 on: February 09, 2022, 01:05:47 pm »
There's a Datron 1071 7.5 digit meter for auction at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165326135622

It shows "error 6", but there's a high probability that's because the two inputs are connected during the test.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #113319 on: February 09, 2022, 01:08:15 pm »
Willing to bet money the battery ran out and it will also show error 5 and...

ie, cal lost.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113320 on: February 09, 2022, 01:27:27 pm »

Need to look up which one of those is sitting in storage.
I guess I have too much stuff.
Normally I would refer to this as a cutting plotter. Did I miss something ?
You would be more accurate with that description - but, in some circles, these things tend to be known by the most common usage ... which is often cutting vinyl sheet for signage.

... or T-shirts.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113321 on: February 09, 2022, 01:30:19 pm »
Mouser has shipped.

Local company Electrokit has shipped.

JLC still are working on the pcbs. And I wonder what I actually sent them...  :scared: Some of the Gerber visualisations in their tool are not 100%. But I'll bodge it, as it's probably my fault anyway.  :palm:  |O

Lunch today is 85% leftovers; Croquette De Poisson avec Pommes de terre purées et sauce Hollandaise agrémentée d'aneth. I had to make the Hollandaise from scratch, so that accounts for the 15%.
Oh, you PSB.  :-DD

mnem
First world problems... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113322 on: February 09, 2022, 01:46:53 pm »
Willing to bet money the battery ran out and it will also show error 5 and...

ie, cal lost.

Well, my 1061 has error 5 = dc and "fail" is cal lost. But ISTR you have experience with 1071s.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113323 on: February 09, 2022, 02:06:41 pm »

You're not helping.

I am helping in the only way we know how to around here. I'm also pointing out the crafting features that give it high WAF/GAF/PAF.  :)

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113324 on: February 09, 2022, 02:56:09 pm »
Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I did the diet thing for years.  For us, diets aren't sustainable.  Last diet we did I lost 200 lbs.  Ended up putting it all back on right after we stopped just like every other time.  Every diet we've ever tried has been a failure.  Weight Watchers and leaning to vegetarianism has been the key for us.  WW is not a diet, you can eat whatever you want, it just depends on how many points you are willing to spend.  All foods have points and you have so many based on the questionnaire you fill out.  It helped us to retrain our minds and thinking and we have been doing it long enough that it's past a habit and has become a lifestyle.  The monthly chemotherapy shots I get cause constant fatigue and proper eating has helped ameliorate some of the side effects.  Portion control was another thing we learned.  We also learned and are continuing to learn good tasting substitutes for the greasy, fatty foods we used to eat.  Getting rid of simple carbs was necessary for me to get my diabetes under control.  I agree on almond milk, I will not drink a glass of it, especially because we buy the unsweetened.  But in a cup of coffee or as the liquid for my oat bran/rolled oats in the morning, I like what it adds for flavor.  It is said that doing the same thing for 21 days becomes a habit.  It took us a good 3 months to get a handle on the healthy eating thing.  Now we do it without blinking.  Even going out for dinner, nothing changes.  I still get some sort of cobb or Mediterranean salad with grilled protein and dressing on the side.  We just got so sick and tired of being sick and tired.  And it is wonderful to do simple things like bending over to tie my shoes.  I needed to buy pants this past weekend.  I was shocked to find I am down to a size 44 from 56 last April.  And I can shop cheaply at Walmart until I get to goal weight, then I will buy nice clothes.  Going to the big and tall store always made the checking account or credit card scream.  We used to say that we were fat and happy, obviously, we were deluding ourselves.  Slimming down/eating proper and healthy brings its' own happiness.
Yeah, I've done the Dub-Dub. Did not work for me. Period. I'll worry about the "changing my lifestyle" self-affirmation stuff once I actually lose the weight. Again.

Honestly, the more I actually do hard Keto, the easier it becomes to just not eat stoopit shit. Once you transition into Ketosis, you quickly feel satisfied with less and less volume/weight of food at a meal. Added to that the ritual of honestly accounting for everything you put in your mouth, and your attitude towards food just changes.  :-//

It's the matter of not letting yourself fall off the wagon when the house is full of ready-to-eat teenager foods that becomes difficult. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to make bacon/eggs for lunch*

SWMBO & I have been on "Lite 'n Easy" for a couple of years, now.
I dunno if it is an Oz only firm or not, but anyhow, it works like so:-

On Friday, we have several large styrofoam boxes delivered, containing our meals for the week. The "Dinners" are all frozen (like TV dinners, but a couple of levels better quality), the lunches are varied, some just refrigerated, some frozen, mostly a mixture.
We opted out of breakfast.

Most of the time, we have very little problem "sticking to the program", with really good results, but unforeseen things do happen from time to time.

Most recently, following a number of 40C days, we had a sudden weather change, with much cooler, very humid weather, culminating in heavy rain.
We lost power at 5:15 pm on Sunday 6th, with it not returning till 1:26pm on Tues 8th.
With nothing to do, but sit in candle lit gloom, we listened to the local Fire & Emergency Service two way radio on an old Uniden scanner.

The "firies" were flat out all Sunday night, responding to "pole top fires"-------they would turn up, make things safe as they could without getting "zapped", then guard the site till "Western Power" turned up.
WP were, of course, equally busy.

Back to us,----no power, no microwave oven, no "Lite 'n Easy", so we backslid into deliciously evil "takeaway" chicken! >:D
Same thing, next day, & soon, the frozen & refrigerated meals were a write off!----More evil stuff for Mon dinner, this time a burger each, with onion rings.

We now have our fridges available, so have replenished them with enough stuff till our next "Lite n' Easy" delivery!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf