Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16691417 times)

Kosmic, KG7AMV and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113250 on: February 08, 2022, 01:44:15 pm »
Mnem, because of my diabetes, my coffee has Truvia and unsweetened almond milk in it.  I have grown to quite like it.   I put the leftover coffee into a large glass, adulterate it and let it chill in the fridge overnight.  I will do what I need to get off my meds in the next 6 months, already had my Metformin reduced by half in the past 3 months and my A1c is 5.1.
As of a couple months before we left Canada, I'm still not diabetic; I'd done a week of morning/bedtime glucose and well normal. Of course I know that even if I'm not diabetic yet, at my weight and age I am on the waiting list; hence jumping back on the hard keto as it is the only diet I've ever been able to stay on long enough to actually lose an appreciable amount of weight.

At this point, losing the weight has to be priority one... I can deal with the other problems once I'm not staring down a very short and miserable existence of dialysis and congestive heart failure incursions.

I've tried almond milk and quite frankly, I'd rather give up coffee. I believe I'm allergic; it gives me cramps. I've been considering Stevia, but have been hesitant since a similarly bad experience with Agave. *blerk* That stuff is for people who don't like sweets in the first place.  :-DD

mnem
 :scared:

Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I did the diet thing for years.  For us, diets aren't sustainable.  Last diet we did I lost 200 lbs.  Ended up putting it all back on right after we stopped just like every other time.  Every diet we've ever tried has been a failure.  Weight Watchers and leaning to vegetarianism has been the key for us.  WW is not a diet, you can eat whatever you want, it just depends on how many points you are willing to spend.  All foods have points and you have so many based on the questionnaire you fill out.  It helped us to retrain our minds and thinking and we have been doing it long enough that it's past a habit and has become a lifestyle.  The monthly chemotherapy shots I get cause constant fatigue and proper eating has helped ameliorate some of the side effects.  Portion control was another thing we learned.  We also learned and are continuing to learn good tasting substitutes for the greasy, fatty foods we used to eat.  Getting rid of simple carbs was necessary for me to get my diabetes under control.  I agree on almond milk, I will not drink a glass of it, especially because we buy the unsweetened.  But in a cup of coffee or as the liquid for my oat bran/rolled oats in the morning, I like what it adds for flavor.  It is said that doing the same thing for 21 days becomes a habit.  It took us a good 3 months to get a handle on the healthy eating thing.  Now we do it without blinking.  Even going out for dinner, nothing changes.  I still get some sort of cobb or Mediterranean salad with grilled protein and dressing on the side.  We just got so sick and tired of being sick and tired.  And it is wonderful to do simple things like bending over to tie my shoes.  I needed to buy pants this past weekend.  I was shocked to find I am down to a size 44 from 56 last April.  And I can shop cheaply at Walmart until I get to goal weight, then I will buy nice clothes.  Going to the big and tall store always made the checking account or credit card scream.  We used to say that we were fat and happy, obviously, we were deluding ourselves.  Slimming down/eating proper and healthy brings its' own happiness.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #113251 on: February 08, 2022, 02:01:04 pm »
Ugh, somebody save me from myself.....

Just won another P6247 differential probe (I'll pilfer some attachments, mix and match the best parts with my existing one then sell what I don't need) and a 1103 Tekprobe power supply so I can adjust these probes all nice.
That lets me have a nice probe, and make mo' money selling the other one as adjusted and tested.

Just gotta start selling some of this stuff piling up here. I feel like Smaug on his pile of gold.... :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #113252 on: February 08, 2022, 02:22:07 pm »
Off to check Klipper, RasPi is an option, but I don't want to have to boot a PC every time I want to print something.

I always turn my PC on if I want to print something, either I have to design the part or to send the data to the printer.
That said you know for sure booting a not windows machine can be very fast, so if you want to print a gcode already to the printer (octoprint level) it is still a no brainer.

That said I can't believe the dwagon has not compiled Marlin in Platformio yet.... his knowledge in 3DP is high, you are missing a big piece in the pie my friend :-))  the good news is if Klipper is as good as they said you will never need to compile anything to upgrade or change config. Klipper approch is clever, stupid fast firmware on the printer board and clever big brain SW and config on the Klipper host. New SW features? Touch the host, NOT the board!

That said Platformio/VSCode is the Arduino IDE killer for sure, all the rest still needs my investigation. I can't see how it can compete with MPLAB ICE, but never say never. VSCode is a very very powerful machine.

I work for Lulzbot. :)  I've spent the last two years messing with 3D printers all day.

What Carl_Smith said is 100% right. I understand the steep curve and the pain to deal with code and not transistors.
It is not an impossible task, you can do it.
And with the magic EE background you can do it WELL.

Problem with that approach is the same one we've always had with these machines, and every other µProcessor-based toy we ever want to play with: MicroSoft's eternal Jihad against all things that require serial comms. Doesn't seem to matter how well the "real world users" implement, or how many hoops we jump through to be "compliant"... Eventually MS breaks our serial shit. Every. Fucking. TIME.

And before you say "[Insert favored flavor of *NIX here] is the answer..." please remember, I'm already looking at a terrifyingly steep learning curve stepping away from the crazy well-documented, full of ready-to-use examples world of Marlin 8-bit and ArduIDE. Do you want to see me run away screaming into the night...?  :scared:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know I can. It's just all that pesky real life gets in the way. Hopefully... I say, hopefully... once things settle down to a dull roar around here, I'll have time for this sort of self-improvement.

Somewhere in between doing speech therapy with my daughter, losing 75kg, and teaching my son how to herd electrons for fun & profit. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113253 on: February 08, 2022, 03:07:36 pm »
So, a page-number related upload.  In the "Designs we'd rather forget" department, the JBL 4530 features prominently. Of course, there are some who swear by it; If we're talking horn loaded speakers I'm more into the blue ones, but have manhandled 4530s in the Disco circuit (Citronic integrated 2-record-player console,  QSC Model 41 amplifiers, BSS FDS-360 crossover, a RCF 12"/Beyma Dolly clone mid/high box, and the aforementioned scoop bin.) enough to have memory triggers set up for it.

I feel for you havin' to tote those 4530s around, but they pale in comparison to haulin' these puppies to shows n' stuff...  which, I did for awhile way back when.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?31998-altec-211-cabinet&s=6ed7488b86a4cf5438dbbb66b08cfcc2&p=322582&viewfull=1#post322582

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113254 on: February 08, 2022, 03:14:07 pm »
Of course the 210 dwarfed those, but who wants to haul wings along with those... more of a permanent install.

https://forums.melaudia.net/showthread.php?tid=4242&pid=41550#pid41550

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113255 on: February 08, 2022, 03:33:31 pm »
Well isn't this interesting. I received an email from hvstuff.com informing me that they shipped my order from 21st December last year. After my 2 unsuccessful attempts to contact them and escalating to PayPal and they were also unsuccessful in contacting them. So PayPal refunded me in full. So if indeed they did ship and I receive it I am under no obligation to pay for it if they try to bill me. The refund effectively cancelled the order so I'm now covered under the "unsolicited goods" law. I can consider it a gift and keep it. Which I will do if it shows up.

Now if anybody thinks I should "do the right thing" and send it back then I kindly invite you to fill out the annoying customs form and pay for the shipping charges back to China. This boy isn't.  :P   

Around here we have at least one place with guaranteed delivery time or money back.
No idea how tight they are following their packets though.

BTW,
When I was "a caveman" I lost a sugar need quite easily.
Finally didn't even whip the cream.
Salad in cottage cheese was also salty enough.

It's clearly in your head.

Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #113256 on: February 08, 2022, 03:46:16 pm »
going keto and getting your insulin back on track is definitely possible.
I can recommend it ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #113257 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:27 pm »
Sounds like me and diminutive-prefixen on capacitance. Especially when the schematic contains just a figure and no scaling factor. We can deduce it's in Farad, from the -||- symbol, but not if it's pico/nano/micro -- milli is so uncommon that I'd think they'd go more "(sic!)" on it.  That's one of those shorthand traditions I'd rather not have.

If someone has obviously used strict SI prefixes throughout something then mF isn't a problem but there are so many unit challenged people out there that when seeing mF in isolation it's anyone's guess what was actually intended without at least partial reverse engineering of the circuit it's in. Then there are those who will never get why it is important to be precise and won't understand what I mean when I write 1.7 kK.

It's the melting point of mild steel.
This thread of mine comes to mind when it comes to mF :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/meaning-of-letter-r-as-measurement-unit-in-agilent-u1733c/
(I mean why not make the "mF" even more confusing by labeling it rnF instead? :D)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113258 on: February 08, 2022, 04:12:52 pm »
LOL... that sounds like a dream job for me; getting paid to tinker with 3D printers all day. *sigh*

Sometimes it is fun, sometimes it's a huge pile of frustration.  My current job time is split between my new R&D work and my previous work on the production line. So I get to try and work on firmware and electronics.    But I still spend more time basically being quality control and supervisor of the calibration department, where we spend too much time adjusting every printer manufactured to run optimally.  It often gets frustrating when I'm fixing the same production mistakes over and over.

The other frustrating thing about it is that while I am running around helping keep things working I get all these big ideas of cool things we could design into new printer models, or new features we could put into the firmware, but we just don't have the time and people to work on all of these grand ideas.  We do have some interesting things in the pipline though...

I also have this constant feeling that since I have access to all the 3D printing capacity I could want that I really should be thinking of things to print as much as possible.  :-DD

And if Marlin is any indication of even the neighborhood of the state of the art, I'd be worried that your Kung-Fu is too fresh, not too old.  :-DD

I think that the current 3D printer industry is based off hobby guys with their Arduino based boards is what made the whole thing possible to get going. It didn't take a huge amount of sofware development skills to get the first machines working.  But at the same time I think it might be an anchor slowing the development down as well.  Take what I was previously talking about as an example.  I had a situation where I wanted to hook up an in circuit emulator to the controller, load up the code, and when it did something we were interested in, stop the code and step through it to see what was going on.  But I don't think anyone in the whole history of Marlin has ever actually debugged the code with an emulator and debugger software.  Yet I learned that stuff back in the mid 1990's at my first job out of college at an electric fork lift company.  Back then the emulator was a big pod you had to plug into a socket in place of the processor and it cost $20000 instead of a $160 Atmel-ICE pod, and I worried every time I used it that I would somehow blow it up, but I could debug code better then than what I can do now.  The whole Arduino community has never had the "luxury" of being able to debug code with advanced tools.  The best debugging you could do was to litter serial print commands of stuff you want to monitor throughout your code.  But there is a "release candidate" 2.0 version of the Arduino IDE available now that seems to be based on VSCode and has debugging capability included so maybe that is changing...

As for McBryce's 32-bit/Trinamic board... I'd guess his is one of the many that came with the drivers soldered in; I'm pretty sure he's savvy enuf to know the Trinamic drivers are platform-agnostic.  ;) That said... I imagine that if he wants to enable a bunch of features along with managing those drivers in the firmware, he may very well need the 32-bit processor to do it all. Especially if he's using a touchscreen panel.
I am just getting into the Marlin stuff so I don't know if there are features in the mainline Marlin code that we aren't using at Lulzbot, that if enabled would be too much for the 8-bit boards.  Could be, but one interesting thing is that a lot of the touchscreen panels, including the ones we  use at Lulzbot, have a secondary processor right on the LCD.  So the main board running Marlin isn't pushing pixels directly to the LCD constantly.  Instead it sends higher level GUI commands to the LCD to draw buttons and display text and stuff, and the chip on the LCD handles that, and sends back coordinates of touches on the screen.  So having the high res touch screen probably doesn't add much overhead over the older style "glcd" that most printers use, including the non-touchscreen Lulzbot models.  We even use a touchscreen on the Lulzbot Bio printer that runs the same 8-bit controller as the Lulzbot Mini 2 and Sidekick printers.

As opposed to tinkering on printer-printers all day... which I've done, and is a complete shithole deadend job... :palm:

I've had a couple times when I told people I work at a 3D printer company, they say something like "so you can fix my laser printer then?" and I had to explain the difference.  I didn't admit that I could still possibly fix their laser printer even though they have little to do with 3D printers.  :)
LOL...  :-DD That still sounds like it'd be the most fun I've had in the last couple decades. I really enjoyed being the missing link between the big brains in the ivory tower and the grunts down on the production floor. I got to do both; document the everliving fuck out of stuff, and get my hands dirty figuring out how it all got made.

I'm a mechanic in the old sense of the word: someone who works with machines and keeps them working. It was once a honorable profession; now it is synonymous with "third-rate villain" in every b-grade slice of life movie on TV and movies. I enjoy the problem-solving and redesign aspects, and having that mixed in with mundane maintenance work and documentation was all of what I loved about my first gigs and my first employment right out of school with my little "Nirvana-Corp".

There's a lot of truth in that; I've been involved with the development of the flight controllers, ESCs and motors used in hobbyist-level drones and UAVs since the days when you literally built them from a Arduino and a sensor shield. It was a lot of fun, until the big-business aspect and the FAA got involved. Also a lot of sad stories, and infighting that destroyed some truly innovative stuff. We had STM32-based FCs more than a decade ago; one of the first was OpenPilot (Now called LibrePilot; OpenPilot has since been trademarked as a self-driving car project) and it was infighting over the direction it would take and a couple opportunists doing the whole "You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it..." thing to bring it all crashing down.

Sadly, I see a lot of the same strife and infighting going on with hobbyist-level 3DP, and as with FOSS in general. There's always someone looking for the chance to snurch something decent made with the most altruistic intent and bastardize it for profit. |O

Ehhhh... it's the whole thing. Once you start talking to the thing via serial while it's printing, timing becomes an issue and you can make the thing choke, fucking up a print. IME, the more features you're running, the more critical it becomes and the likelier it is you'll bork your prints.

Yeah, I'm aware. I dove down that rabbithole years ago with my Diggro Alpha; it uses the same touchscreen control setup as the Wanhao D9. The TS is a little proprietary-processor ARM PC (with its own FW and menu/image library) that communicates with the 3DP controller via serial. All the GUI is handled by a DWIN T5 Dual-core, 64-bit processor with 1GB flash, IIRC. Kindof ironic having all that power to essentially act as flagman to a 8-bit processor doing the actual work. :-DD

For those playing along at home, here's a much better teardown of how it all works than I can explain:

https://bleughbleugh.wordpress.com/2018/07/11/wanhao-duplicator-9-d9-technical-stuff-part-deux-the-lcd-part-number/#more-223

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113259 on: February 08, 2022, 04:19:05 pm »
Well isn't this interesting. I received an email from hvstuff.com informing me that they shipped my order from 21st December last year. After my 2 unsuccessful attempts to contact them and escalating to PayPal and they were also unsuccessful in contacting them. So PayPal refunded me in full. So if indeed they did ship and I receive it I am under no obligation to pay for it if they try to bill me. The refund effectively cancelled the order so I'm now covered under the "unsolicited goods" law. I can consider it a gift and keep it. Which I will do if it shows up.

Now if anybody thinks I should "do the right thing" and send it back then I kindly invite you to fill out the annoying customs form and pay for the shipping charges back to China. This boy isn't.  :P   
I'd call that the asshole tax. ;)

mnem
 >:D

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113260 on: February 08, 2022, 04:30:19 pm »

Sounds like me and diminutive-prefixen on capacitance. Especially when the schematic contains just a figure and no scaling factor. We can deduce it's in Farad, from the -||- symbol, but not if it's pico/nano/micro -- milli is so uncommon that I'd think they'd go more "(sic!)" on it.  That's one of those shorthand traditions I'd rather not have.

mF for micro Farad is just wrong. µF is correct.

Schematics should have a note about unit-less values.  For example, "All capacitors in nF unless otherwise specified"

Supercapacitors in mF:   

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:34:45 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113261 on: February 08, 2022, 04:30:32 pm »
Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I did the diet thing for years.  For us, diets aren't sustainable.  Last diet we did I lost 200 lbs.  Ended up putting it all back on right after we stopped just like every other time.  Every diet we've ever tried has been a failure.  Weight Watchers and leaning to vegetarianism has been the key for us.  WW is not a diet, you can eat whatever you want, it just depends on how many points you are willing to spend.  All foods have points and you have so many based on the questionnaire you fill out.  It helped us to retrain our minds and thinking and we have been doing it long enough that it's past a habit and has become a lifestyle.  The monthly chemotherapy shots I get cause constant fatigue and proper eating has helped ameliorate some of the side effects.  Portion control was another thing we learned.  We also learned and are continuing to learn good tasting substitutes for the greasy, fatty foods we used to eat.  Getting rid of simple carbs was necessary for me to get my diabetes under control.  I agree on almond milk, I will not drink a glass of it, especially because we buy the unsweetened.  But in a cup of coffee or as the liquid for my oat bran/rolled oats in the morning, I like what it adds for flavor.  It is said that doing the same thing for 21 days becomes a habit.  It took us a good 3 months to get a handle on the healthy eating thing.  Now we do it without blinking.  Even going out for dinner, nothing changes.  I still get some sort of cobb or Mediterranean salad with grilled protein and dressing on the side.  We just got so sick and tired of being sick and tired.  And it is wonderful to do simple things like bending over to tie my shoes.  I needed to buy pants this past weekend.  I was shocked to find I am down to a size 44 from 56 last April.  And I can shop cheaply at Walmart until I get to goal weight, then I will buy nice clothes.  Going to the big and tall store always made the checking account or credit card scream.  We used to say that we were fat and happy, obviously, we were deluding ourselves.  Slimming down/eating proper and healthy brings its' own happiness.
Yeah, I've done the Dub-Dub. Did not work for me. Period. I'll worry about the "changing my lifestyle" self-affirmation stuff once I actually lose the weight. Again.

Honestly, the more I actually do hard Keto, the easier it becomes to just not eat stoopit shit. Once you transition into Ketosis, you quickly feel satisfied with less and less volume/weight of food at a meal. Added to that the ritual of honestly accounting for everything you put in your mouth, and your attitude towards food just changes.  :-//

It's the matter of not letting yourself fall off the wagon when the house is full of ready-to-eat teenager foods that becomes difficult. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to make bacon/eggs for lunch*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:32:54 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113262 on: February 08, 2022, 04:37:12 pm »
Ugh, somebody save me from myself.....   Just won another P6247 differential probe (I'll pilfer some attachments, mix and match the best parts with my existing one then sell what I don't need) and a 1103 Tekprobe power supply so I can adjust these probes all nice.
That lets me have a nice probe, and make mo' money selling the other one as adjusted and tested. Just gotta start selling some of this stuff piling up here.

I feel like Smaug on his pile of gold.... :D

mnem

*a modern dwagon's hoard*

The following users thanked this post: Per Hansson, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113263 on: February 08, 2022, 04:58:18 pm »

Or of course you point them in the direction of the rope and tell them to piss on it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113264 on: February 08, 2022, 05:40:10 pm »
I'm not sure what the intent of the mainline Marlin developers was with version 2.  It may very well be true that they intended it for 32 bit boards.

AFAIK it was a major change in Marlin2 to have a HAL with better architecture (32bit) support, where 1.x was mainly targeted for 8bit. This is stated on their website too.

My self made printers are running Marlin2 but 8bit boards with ATMEGA2560 limit the movements. This gets obvious if you enable mesh bed leveling with a slightly distorted bed and perform fast movements on the bed level.
Currently building a CoreXY with Duet3D board. Time will tell if I like the RepRapFirmware.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113265 on: February 08, 2022, 05:45:07 pm »

Or of course you point them in the direction of the rope and tell them to piss on it  :-DD

I suggest this one.  >:D

mnem
"When I was young and had no sense;
I went & pissed on a electric fence.
It curled my hair and singed my balls;
made me piss in my overalls."          ~Burma-Shave
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:47:59 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113266 on: February 08, 2022, 06:49:10 pm »
Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I did the diet thing for years.  For us, diets aren't sustainable.  Last diet we did I lost 200 lbs. 

Let me just stop you there while we get this into perspective.

For those of us who don't think of people's weight in lbs (a purely North American thing) that's 90.9 kg or 14 stone 4 lb. That's more than I've ever weighted. That's more than a whole Cerebus with outdoor clothing and boots (or naked with light armour).

That's a big male one of these:

Gobsmacked!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113267 on: February 08, 2022, 07:18:53 pm »
Yeah, that's right. There's two of me in here... I'm painfully aware of that fact. :-/O

mnem
And one of me is made entirely of this:   

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #113268 on: February 08, 2022, 07:59:41 pm »
Thought I'd go off-topic and post some TEA-related stuff...

New video from Curious Marc:

Don't know what this seller has been smoking, but I'd be more likely to buy some of that than pay the price they are asking for this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194803534013

Finally, another "Meanwhile in Russia..." vid. For TEA related amusement, the presenter's interpretation of the multimeter reading near the end at around the 15 minute mark.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113269 on: February 08, 2022, 08:00:06 pm »
Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I did the diet thing for years.  For us, diets aren't sustainable.  Last diet we did I lost 200 lbs. 

Let me just stop you there while we get this into perspective.

For those of us who don't think of people's weight in lbs (a purely North American thing) that's 90.9 kg or 14 stone 4 lb. That's more than I've ever weighted. That's more than a whole Cerebus with outdoor clothing and boots (or naked with light armour).

That's a big male one of these:

Gobsmacked!
That means that you are officially a lightweight then  >:D :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113270 on: February 08, 2022, 08:07:38 pm »

I tend to agree. Strongly. But ask the Smurf about that :-DD
Schematics should have a note about unit-less values.  For example, "All capacitors in nF unless otherwise specified"

Yeah, they usually manage with physical measurements, so why not with prefixes?
Supercapacitors in mF:   
<snip>
Ripple, gone!

How's the MRI machine?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113271 on: February 08, 2022, 09:23:03 pm »

Just so, but uF is also acceptable at a pinch.

Using mF is as pig ignorant as mS for milliseconds, or using kW where kWh is relevant (or vice versa).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113272 on: February 08, 2022, 09:35:02 pm »

Lots 550 and above are in Blackburn, which I believe is nearer you. I wonder how many people that will catch out!

I spotted that and looked at the location on Google maps.   I don't recall anything in Blackburn I wanted.

Not even 4000 holes that fill the Albert Hall? 

(oh, boy)

There are two Olympus BHM microscopes in the Engineering Auction.      The BHM is a metallurgical microscope.

Illumination comes either down through the objective (!)  or from channels around the objective.   Absolutely no idea if it is possible to swap in parts from other BH series microscopes.

No photos from PP yet, but google found me this one:

The illumination comes through the objective. There is a beam spliter set at 45 degrees in the black section. Reflects the illumination downwards. All normal objectives, eyepieces etc will still fit. No condenser of course but you could fit one.  If you remove the splitter you will get a brigher image with conventional illumination.
The set-up is very similar to that used in flourescence microscopes. In those the splitter is  dichroic interference filter that reflects one wavelength (excitation) and transmits another (emission).
There's a patent on fluorescent imaging with my name on it from when I worked in biotech instrumentation.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:00:08 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113273 on: February 08, 2022, 09:40:08 pm »
I guess 0.00025% low isn't terrible but I'd like better.

2.5 ppm? You could drive a bus through 2 and a half ppm!  :)

My messing about with GPSDOs and OCXOs last year got me used to fussing about things on the close order of 1 ppb or less. A few ppm error on an oscillator has begun to sound like an approximation rather than precision. What I find frustrating after that is that while sub ppm accuracy on an oscillator was almost easy (and cheap) to achieve, that a 2.5ppm absolute error on any kind of voltage reading would be good to excellent (typical high quality lab transfer uncertainties are on the order of 0.3ppm) and expensive to achieve.

Well. make that 2.0ppm now, after sitting for a couple hours. :)
Gonna scrape the paint off the sides of the bus... :D

If that distresses you try measuring temperature. At room temperatures, achieving even a (genuine) 200ppm calibration uncertainty would cost more than I care to pay for!

Heh, try pH measurement.

/grumpy pool owner.

Relative humidity is the worst I've ever had to deal with. Thre is a reason all the "precision" meters measure dew point. /we had customers who wanted to hold RH in an instrument to +_ 1% without temperature control  :palm:

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113274 on: February 08, 2022, 09:54:43 pm »

How's the MRI machine?

Waiting for parts.   Channel 13 on socket 1 is out of spec for noise.  Field service engineer has ordered a new head coil and socket.   It is probably the coil, but possibly the socket.

The data connections between the head coil and the scanner computers are optical.   All of the receive electronics are in the head coil.  This is a huge S/N improvement over our old (2006) scanner, where the receivers were in an adjacent room.

https://www.philips.co.uk/healthcare/product/HCNMRB375A/dstream-head-32ch-coil-mr-coil

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 09:57:22 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, ch_scr, mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf