Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695093 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #113175 on: February 06, 2022, 11:05:06 pm »
Look closer. Dijon mustard and Coke Zero. ;) And yes, I alotted 20 calories for that.

mnem
Because anything less would be uncivilized. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113176 on: February 06, 2022, 11:06:39 pm »
Meanwhile in TSP TNP lab:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Zucca, mnementh, Mortymore, ch_scr, mansaxel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113177 on: February 06, 2022, 11:17:00 pm »
With all the talk surrounding it about fishing marlin and albacore I was trying to read Klipper as kipper (as in the smoked fish).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113178 on: February 06, 2022, 11:30:51 pm »

And to put that in a wee bit more context...  :wtf:

mnem
dinnae make even a whit more sense; nunnitoll... :o

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:35:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113179 on: February 06, 2022, 11:50:45 pm »
370 Calories that's WITHOUT the huge blob of mayonnaise, nor the can of Coca Cola zero calorie industrial cleaning fluid !!  :-DD

TFTFY
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113180 on: February 06, 2022, 11:53:42 pm »
Yeah, that shit'll rot your socks...  :-DD

mnem
I lose more socks that way... :o

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113181 on: February 06, 2022, 11:54:40 pm »
Yes looking for non-pokemon boxes yields much cheaper/ sensible card board options... like say this beauuuutiful slide out shoe box, for 2,80 Euros :      That's more like it...
Yeah, the point was to go to a card shop, not slAmazon, where you're paying a small fortune because the boxes, even folded flat, are too big to fit in a Amazon baggie. Shoe boxes work well, but the dimensions won't fit your envelopes or crack baggies as perfectly as a trading card box does.

If you're willing to rethink your process and orient your envelopes/crack baggies horizontally, you might look into index card boxes. Usually quite cheap, even from Jeff Bezos' Online Shop of Horrors. ;)

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:59:32 pm by mnementh »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #113182 on: February 07, 2022, 02:52:55 am »

7g net carb, 370 Cal.

mnem
that is all.

370 Calories that's WITHOUT the huge blob of mayonnaise, nor the can of Coca Cola !!  :-DD

Don't fool yourself  >:D

The Coke Zero jumped out at me the second I saw the pic.

You need to pay a bit more attention before criticising the Dwagon when it comes to foodstuffs.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113183 on: February 07, 2022, 02:59:25 am »

7g net carb, 370 Cal.

mnem
that is all.

370 Calories that's WITHOUT the huge blob of mayonnaise, nor the can of Coca Cola !!  :-DD

Don't fool yourself  >:D

The Coke Zero jumped out at me the second I saw the pic.

You need to pay a bit more attention before criticising the Dwagon when it comes to foodstuffs.

Sorry, I do confess I don't know my Coke "flavours" at all, hate coke or soda, don't drink the stuff. To me there is no good or bad Coke or Pepsi...it's all junk to me !   :P

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113184 on: February 07, 2022, 03:09:38 am »
Yes looking for non-pokemon boxes yields much cheaper/ sensible card board options... like say this beauuuutiful slide out shoe box, for 2,80 Euros :      That's more like it...
Yeah, the point was to go to a card shop, not slAmazon, where you're paying a small fortune because the boxes, even folded flat, are too big to fit in a Amazon baggie. Shoe boxes work well, but the dimensions won't fit your envelopes or crack baggies as perfectly as a trading card box does.

If you're willing to rethink your process and orient your envelopes/crack baggies horizontally, you might look into index card boxes. Usually quite cheap, even from Jeff Bezos' Online Shop of Horrors. ;)

mnem

I am willing to rethink anything if it can lead to what I might consider an improvement !  8)

In the case at hand, pun, I don't see the point of putting the envelopes sideways, would need to redo all the labels, only to so I can spend money on a plastic box... that will then be thrown away when I get to build my own wooden custom box later on.
So.. only sensible thing to do is to keep my ugly box, because it cost me nothing, it's already there, and already does its job perfectly. When it ain't broke, don't fix it !  >:D
Now if I needed 2 dozen more boxes, it would be worse giving it more thinking.. but I only need that one box and that's it. So the problem has already been solved.
If I somehow need more in the coming weeks, I guess I would just replace that one, with a show box divided in two, or make a custom cardboard box. In H/W stores the 40X40x30cm cardboard box costs only one Euro. Would give me plenty enough cardboard, to make several shoe sized boxes to store thousands of little envelopes, with the bonus of being a custom job so I would be able to design the box dimension to fit perfectly into my drawers so as to not waste any space. Custom, to me, is where true luxury lies...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #113185 on: February 07, 2022, 06:11:29 am »

Sorry, I do confess I don't know my Coke "flavours" at all, hate coke or soda, don't drink the stuff. To me there is no good or bad Coke or Pepsi...it's all junk to me !   :P

I'm not overly fond of it, I'd much rather explore a brewery or an Appelation, but that is not always a sensible and practical idea. If so, there's water, or there might be soft drinks, but in that case, I never take those "zero" things. They're disgusting.  I've given up milk, because it's for cooking.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #113186 on: February 07, 2022, 08:05:27 am »
 :)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113187 on: February 07, 2022, 08:17:33 am »
A warning to anyone out there with an Creality Ender 3 3D Printer: Don't upgrade the hardware from the old 8 Bit board to the newer 32Bit 4.2.x boards. The hardware is fine and quieter (as the loudly claim), but the firmware is just broken. Missing features, non-working commands (and not trivial stuff either, basics such as filament loading and mid-print colour change aren't implemented or not working). I'll be spending the evening downgrading my Ender 3 Pro hardware.

McBryce.
Is there no open source firmware. 32bit marlin?
There is a promising config for it I'd say: "Configurations-release-2.0.9.3.zip\Configurations-release-2.0.9.3\config\examples\Creality\Ender-3\CrealityV422"
There is also one for V427. Try that before changing hardware says me!
Edit#2: And it's not as hard as they make it look. I've done similar Marlin installs before, it's really not too bad!

I haven't compiled Marlin before, but it might be worth a try. Do you have a link to the code?

McBryce.

New rabbit hole, new frustration... Installed VSCode, Platformio, lots of libraries, downloaded Marlin 2.0.9 and.... Compiling the software even without changing anything results in a failed compile with multiple errors that all mean nothing to me :( Tried the bugfix version, same result with different errors.

McBryce.

Good, since from your past posts you can master Linux, why do not go straight to Klipper?
I am sure you have an old pc or a terrible raspi to attach to your printer.

Off to check Klipper, RasPi is an option, but I don't want to have to boot a PC every time I want to print something.

Recent versions of Marlin are 32-bit and no longer use ArduIDE, but PlatformIO. As I said earlier; not at all comfortable with that, so haven't fucked around with my CR-6SE yet.

I will look into Klipper; that resonance tuning would be a godsend on my floopy old Tornado.

mnem
 :-/O

The current marlin can be compiled for 8 bit boards.  And you can still compile it with the Arduino IDE if you wish, even though it's set up for PlatformIO.

Platformio is much more powerful though, once you get it set up and climb the learning curve (which I am still doing.)  I'd also recommend installing the C++ Intellisense and the GitLens extensions.  Gitlens is an extension that integrates git into vscode more.  It does things like, as you move through each line of code, tells you who last commited a change to that line of code in the repository. 

Platformio can automate a lot of stuff.  Like for my job, I am learning how to compile firmware for different printer models, and we have it set up with a sort of "jobs" tree where we can make a change to the code, then just open up the tree on the side and pick a printer model, and platformio will change a bunch of compiler defines and re-compile the code automatically.   Maybe not as useful for a hobbiest that only has one printer to compile for but it saves us lots of time at work.

My current battle at work is figuring out how to use vscode and openocd and an atmel-ice debug probe to do real debugging of the marlin firmware on an Archim2 board. I am not yet successful with that...

I have an 8-Bit (1.1.5) controller board, but I'm trying to compile Marlin for a STM32F103 board because it uses TMC motor drivers which make the printer considerably quieter.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:24:46 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113188 on: February 07, 2022, 08:41:22 am »

Another very strange video. Why on earth would he upgrade the flash firmware by USB with an obviously displaced flat ribbon between the FTDI chip and processor? Any failure could have bricked the meter  :palm:
Then he goes on about shift registers etc for the keyboard connection when it is probably just a dedicated keypad IC like a TCA8418, L8330 or even the old 74C922.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #113189 on: February 07, 2022, 09:02:20 am »
Happy birthday HP-35. He got 50 on Saturday.

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/HP-35-Zum-40-Geburtstag-des-ersten-wissenschaftlichen-Taschenrechners-6350852.html

The URL is correct, even though there is a typo in it.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113190 on: February 07, 2022, 09:11:54 am »

mnem

I am willing to rethink anything if it can lead to what I might consider an improvement !  8)

In the case at hand, pun, I don't see the point of putting the envelopes sideways, would need to redo all the labels, only to so I can spend money on a plastic box... that will then be thrown away when I get to build my own wooden custom box later on.
So.. only sensible thing to do is to keep my ugly box, because it cost me nothing, it's already there, and already does its job perfectly. When it ain't broke, don't fix it !  >:D
Now if I needed 2 dozen more boxes, it would be worse giving it more thinking.. but I only need that one box and that's it. So the problem has already been solved.
If I somehow need more in the coming weeks, I guess I would just replace that one, with a show box divided in two, or make a custom cardboard box. In H/W stores the 40X40x30cm cardboard box costs only one Euro. Would give me plenty enough cardboard, to make several shoe sized boxes to store thousands of little envelopes, with the bonus of being a custom job so I would be able to design the box dimension to fit perfectly into my drawers so as to not waste any space. Custom, to me, is where true luxury lies...

I'm wondering what this Akro-Mils 24-pack means.

https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-30110-12-Inch-2-75-Inch-Plastic/dp/B003EV7C58
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113191 on: February 07, 2022, 01:47:21 pm »

I'm not overly fond of it, I'd much rather explore a brewery or an Appellation, but that is not always a sensible and practical idea. If so, there's water, or there might be soft drinks, but in that case, I never take those "zero" things. They're disgusting.  I've given up milk, because it's for cooking.
I like the taste of Coke Zero. It doesn't taste like Coca-cola (nothing does since they stopped making it with "just this side of Cocaine" coca leaf extract), but I like it.  :-//

That said, I usually prefer to drink iced tea that I've brewed myself such that it is almost as strong as my coffee; I drink maybe 2 sodas a week and that's usually when I'm on the Keto, where any different flavor is a welcome change.

As much as I might enjoy going down the list, even the dry wines that I can't stand have too much sugar in them for Keto. ;)

mnem
Not Ice-Tea; that would taste yucky. ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:48:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113192 on: February 07, 2022, 01:56:16 pm »
I'm wondering what this Akro-Mils 24-pack means.

https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-30110-12-Inch-2-75-Inch-Plastic/dp/B003EV7C58

Quote from: Amazon Listing
About this item

STORAGE BIN DIMENSIONS- Outside (11-5/8-Inch x 2-3/4-Inch x 4-Inch), Inside (10-1/4-Inch x 1-5/8-Inch x 4-Inch) – Case of 24

Or were you wondering about the name...? I'd guess the bins are made to fit in the Akro-Mils industrial storage system of cabinets like this one:   

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/industrialsupplies.com-llc/B646591/14089805

mnem
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:08:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113193 on: February 07, 2022, 02:39:42 pm »

New rabbit hole, new frustration... Installed VSCode, PlatformIO, lots of libraries, downloaded Marlin 2.0.9 and.... Compiling the software even without changing anything results in a failed compile with multiple errors that all mean nothing to me :( Tried the bugfix version, same result with different errors.

McBryce.
Recent versions of Marlin are 32-bit and no longer use ArduIDE, but PlatformIO. As I said earlier; not at all comfortable with that, so haven't fucked around with my CR-6SE yet.

I will look into Klipper; that resonance tuning would be a godsend on my floopy old Tornado.

mnem
The current marlin can be compiled for 8 bit boards.  And you can still compile it with the Arduino IDE if you wish, even though it's set up for PlatformIO.

PlatformIO is much more powerful though, once you get it set up and climb the learning curve (which I am still doing.)  I'd also recommend installing the C++ Intellisense and the GitLens extensions.  Gitlens is an extension that integrates git into vscode more.  It does things like, as you move through each line of code, tells you who last committed a change to that line of code in the repository. 

PlatformIO can automate a lot of stuff.  Like for my job, I am learning how to compile firmware for different printer models, and we have it set up with a sort of "jobs" tree where we can make a change to the code, then just open up the tree on the side and pick a printer model, and PlatformIO will change a bunch of compiler defines and re-compile the code automatically.   Maybe not as useful for a hobbyist that only has one printer to compile for but it saves us lots of time at work.

My current battle at work is figuring out how to use vscode and openocd and an atmel-ice debug probe to do real debugging of the marlin firmware on an Archim2 board. I am not yet successful with that...
It was my understanding that only 1.9.x are intended for 8-bit, and that 2.x.x are all intended for 32-bit and PlatformIO. My dabblings with P-IO yielded similar results to McBryce above; I just didn't need the BS at the time so back-burnered the project. :-//

I assumed that 2.x.x could be compiled using the STM32duino IDE/Tools, but that's sortof like just another new IDE and toolbox to learn, and I needed to be using my CR6-SE, not doing brain surgery on it. That will have to to wait until I have Mad Scientist Lair time and money. ;)

mnem
*poke-ily... prod-dity... scope-ity*
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:49:28 pm by mnementh »

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113194 on: February 07, 2022, 02:51:21 pm »

New rabbit hole, new frustration... Installed VSCode, PlatformIO, lots of libraries, downloaded Marlin 2.0.9 and.... Compiling the software even without changing anything results in a failed compile with multiple errors that all mean nothing to me :( Tried the bugfix version, same result with different errors.

McBryce.

mnem

PlatformIO is much more powerful though, once you get it set up and climb the learning curve (which I am still doing.)  I'd also recommend installing the C++ Intellisense and the GitLens extensions.  Gitlens is an extension that integrates git into vscode more.  It does things like, as you move through each line of code, tells you who last committed a change to that line of code in the repository. 

PlatformIO can automate a lot of stuff.  Like for my job, I am learning how to compile firmware for different printer models, and we have it set up with a sort of "jobs" tree where we can make a change to the code, then just open up the tree on the side and pick a printer model, and PlatformIO will change a bunch of compiler defines and re-compile the code automatically.   Maybe not as useful for a hobbyist that only has one printer to compile for but it saves us lots of time at work.

It was my understanding that only 1.9.x are intended for 8-bit, and that 2.x.x are all intended for 32-bit and PlatformIO. My dabblings with P-IO yielded similar results to McBryce above; I just didn't need the BS at the time so back-burnered the project. :-//

I assumed that 2.x.x could be compiled using the STM32duino IDE/Tools, but that's just another new IDE and toolboxto learn, and I needed to be using my CR6-SE, not doing brain surgery on it. That will have to to wait until I have Mad Scientist Lair time and money. ;)

mnem
*poke-ily... prod-dity... scope-ity*
I tried compiling it and got it to work. The trick is not only to install PlatformIO in VSCode, but also AutoBuildMarlin. Then I downloaded the marlin source, unzipped it and replaced the config with the appropriate example. Opened the folder "Marlin-2.0.9.3" in vscode and clicked the "autobuildmarlin" button on the left hand side symbol bar. It showed up on the right side with the expected information from the example config. Clicked "build" on the upper build environment (e.g. STM23F103RET_creality). It took a while, but it came up with it.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113195 on: February 07, 2022, 03:08:14 pm »
I tried compiling it and got it to work. The trick is not only to install PlatformIO in VSCode, but also AutoBuildMarlin. Then I downloaded the marlin source, unzipped it and replaced the config with the appropriate example. Opened the folder "Marlin-2.0.9.3" in vscode and clicked the "autobuildmarlin" button on the left hand side symbol bar. It showed up on the right side with the expected information from the example config. Clicked "build" on the upper build environment (e.g. STM23F103RET_creality). It took a while, but it came up with it.

I compile Marlin (for 8bit) on VSCode/Platformio since it is enabled. I had several problems with Win-ArduIDE pukin' on my shoes (running out of memory or something like that) with Marlin. Using Platformio does not only work for me, the build job is so much faster.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113196 on: February 07, 2022, 03:12:24 pm »

Another very strange video. Why on earth would he upgrade the flash firmware by USB with an obviously displaced flat ribbon between the FTDI chip and processor? Any failure could have bricked the meter  :palm:
Then he goes on about shift registers etc for the keyboard connection when it is probably just a dedicated keypad IC like a TCA8418, L8330 or even the old 74C922.

He flashed the meter before opening. So he didn't know about the cable then. Now I agree that flashing the device should be the last resort. Not sure why he did that first.

Don't be that hard with Shahriar, overall he's doing a good job  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:20:07 pm by Kosmic »

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113197 on: February 07, 2022, 03:17:09 pm »

He flashed the meter before opening. So he didn't know about the cable then.

Now I agree that flashing the device should be the last resort. Not sure why he did that first.

TNP - "Sweepings from the Noise Floor"  ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113198 on: February 07, 2022, 03:19:09 pm »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:22:43 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113199 on: February 07, 2022, 03:19:50 pm »
PP Auction catalog is out. 

TDLR;  I doubt I will be bidding.

Large amounts of junk unless you collect PAL vector scopes.

A few interesting lots of interest (to me)

7  - Wavetek 164.  Looks like the same one as last time?
25 Fluke 5450A
53 Racal 9084
66 Tek 106 sq. wave generator
67 HP 651B  incorrectly labeled Oscilloscope.
98 Dana  3300DMM    (made in Irvine California before the merger with Racal)
105, 106  HP 333A, 334A

198-200  Solartron 7060s
489 HP 204D
505 Racal 9835   - Not shown with power on.   Probably dead, perhaps missing parts.

PP are  too darn far.  Inflation, pay cuts, and the upcoming tax increase have greatly reduced my budget for non-essentials.   (of course there will be someone who would think an HP 334A is essential)

If someone is going anyway and would be willing to post something to me at cost . ..  < sigh > Even then I dunno.   

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:21:30 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf