Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695196 times)

ch_scr and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #110700 on: January 08, 2022, 02:37:27 pm »
Vince what is your opinion ...

If we want to replace a knob or button on our vintage instrument, does the button need to look brand new, or does it need to look like other buttons that are "weathered" (model RR term) and used? Which is the perfect choice in your opinion?

:popcorn:
   Gotta replace them all to keep it all a matching set!  >:D

Or just repair the knob with J-B Weld. :-DD
That repair...  is a damn fine compromise.   :clap: A little industrial grey spray paint and it would be hard to tell from intact knobs that had been banged about a bit.

No idea how long it'll hold up; there are so many variables with such things. But compared to molding a complete replacement or spending months seeking a cost-effective replacement...? Definitely worth the gamble to see if it holds up. :-+

mnem
*knobber* >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110701 on: January 08, 2022, 02:52:21 pm »
   ...My wife decided to see if she could fly down the stairs - gravity won - her ankle lost.
*cringe*      

oi... mum had a similar injury when I was a teen... the metalwork looked like scaffolding around her leg; made me imagine Smurfs working on the repair whenever we weren't looking.  :o She complained many times that orthopaedists were little more than glorified carpenters.  :-DD

Once the healing actually started, it was a effing nightmare (partly the cleaning, partly because she insisted on trying to do for herself and kept getting herself stranded somewhere) for what seemed like forever.

This looks like it is all internal; is this supposed to be permanent, or will they be removing the metal at some later date?

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:54:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110702 on: January 08, 2022, 03:30:07 pm »
You are welcome!  ;D
The 3M sticking notes, the LM224, MC3403 and LF355 have been sent to me as a surprisiung gift as well!
Since I've got so much of them, I decided to share some of them. Glad, that you've enjoyed it.  :)

The UA709, the varistors and the military capacitors are genuine Rohde & Schwarz spare parts.

I wish you a lot of fun with your new toys. :)
Sadly, the parcel took so long to you, I thought really, you should have it latest on Friday.
No problem on the parcel, it arrived perfect as I was a bit done for yesterday and went to bed real early.
Don't think I'll make it on discord today (or maybe real late) - have been invited for pizza and mulled wine by a colleague.
In other news, ocxo board was populated and works  :-+
I have both old and new ocxo running, but they are still drifting* - I'll let them run until tomorrow and see what there is to see then.
*Which means they are "stable" each by themself on the counter, but when comparing them, we can see drift.. in the below 1 Hz region  :palm:
Initial observiation on the DMTD time interval looks already much better, seems like the tcxo I used before had way too bad short term stability.
Which is a thing I suspected, since I stopped beeing able to see any improvement on circuit changes to the dmtd when there should have been.
DMTD is really a strange and amazing concept - it surely excells in magnifying instabilities in all parts of the chain..

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110703 on: January 08, 2022, 03:55:36 pm »
The emergency fault problems you've described are just the tip of the iceberg for "one motor per wheel" designs in real life. At low speeds things generally behave... but at anything approaching highway speeds, this will require real-time active mixing of the motor ESCs similar to that used in a flight controller.

This is something I have first-hand experience with trying to build large-scale AWD stadium trucks. ...

I have no experience with per wheel direct drive motor designs in vehicles. And I can't help with mass placement optimizing and so on. Anyway, I do know what modern industrial motor controllers can do, and that's way above what your flight controller in a drone can do, or in any (larger or smaller) model does. Electronic gearboxes are just one of the rather well-known and simple applications. So real time emulating the behaviour of a 2WD differential, or multiple differential (and locked) 4WD is nowadays nothing too exciting for these controllers. The system should also be able to actively steer the "emulated" mechanical differentials in more ways than the mechanical ones, intended as driver assistance. It's perfectly possible, but a big heap of work for the engineers to correctly design and validate this so the vehicle doesn't behave unexpectedly.
This is exactly what I'm getting at. It requires active management to work at highway speeds. I said similar, not the same; as in working in a similar fashion, with accelerometer/gyro closed-loop feedback, etc. So now the big problem... one you are not going to be able to get around... is how are you going to get the vehicle to a safe halt if there is a catastrophic failure in the electrical system at highway speed. Something that takes out the CPU which controls the mixing. Now you are trying to bring to a halt a vehicle where each wheel is literally pulling the vehicle in a different direction due to torque reaction.

EDIT: And here's another, much more likely scenario: One of your OMPW motors overheats, maybe burns a winding and dead-shorts at highway speed. This has a high likelihood of taking out at least part of the electrical system, if not all of it. Now you have no active control over the remaining wheels, and you have one wheel trying to pull the whole vehicle off the road due to the EM braking we've been discussing so hotly.

Same scenario with one motor per axle, and the diff handles all the torque balancing inherently due to its nature, and the motor drag is just additional braking bringing the vehicle to a stop.

Even with whatever "secondary system" you are trying to use as a emergency backup, you cannot guarantee any measure of control even with "backup on a backup" redundancy. Having a completely separate system based on a completely different technology which can bring the vehicle to a halt in the event of no power/no processor really is the only reasonably safe way.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for making regen braking take over as much as possible from those mechanical systems... a finger in the air WAG says taking over as much as 90% of braking is probably possible, and that's a effing lot.

But trying to take it all over and eliminate mechanical braking, or replacing what is already a very simple, very efficient differential system and increasing electronic complexity 1000-fold is not the right way to do it, IMHO. This whole concept smacks of "just slap a µ-processor in it" thinking, which is something we very often rail against in here.

And add to it the fact we don't even have appropriate motor technology for this yet... come on. I'm all for conjectural conversation, but I think with the brainpower in here, we should be able to come up with something that can actually be made real in the decade or two I have left, which is where we need it if we are to avert the global doom we keep averting our gaze from.

As an aside... if you weren't aware, modern high-performance quadcopter FCs are actually pretty sophisticated now, and it is pretty amazing the feature-set they can cram into a $40 PCB. We're talking fast enough, granular enough control of the ESCs which on acro/racing FCs, even ground-effect propwash can be tuned such that it is almost completely eliminated.  :o 

That sophistication is actually part of the problem, and I suspect is most of the real reason the FAA and other similar bodies are trying to take over every aspect of model aviation right now; you can buy a FC and GPS receiver off of Amazon for less than $100 with the capability to pilot a vehicle (multirotor, rocket or fixed-wing... even land/water craft in principle) to "within a dozen meters" accuracy from one continent to another.  All you need is to fix the firmware so that GPS-based "no-fly zones" are ignored and "deliberate misinformation" offsets in the GPS network are corrected for. In principle, this has been true for over a decade; the first 32-bit GPS-equipped FCs were released that long ago.

Let that sink in for a second. Honestly, it surprises me that so far, we mostly only have drug cartels using that tech to get cocaine across the border.

Obviously, for passenger vehicle control systems, the hardware and software will need to be exponentially more robust than these "experimental aircraft" computer control systems designed and programmed by amateur and professional hobbyists in their free time.

But the tech is already out there in the wild, and freely available to anyone with internet access. You cannot put that genie back in the bottle. You can restrict access, sure. But ne'er-do-wells have already archived this stuff and will share it between themselves covertly just like they do the Anarchist Cookbook.

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:00:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #110704 on: January 08, 2022, 05:10:52 pm »
Really great result

Thanks!

Can I be obsessive?

Why not that's what this thread is all about!  :-DD

How fine was the sandpaper - I would guess something like 400?

400 then 600. For the dot or dimple where the white paint goes I used a small drill bit to clean it out.

The primer - was it also a Tamiya? I imagine their paints are great at holding onto plastic.

Vallejo primer -

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/surface-primer-en/

If you want to fill up gaps even better you can use this Tamiya lacquer primer. It's great stuff -

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/liquid-surface-primer-40ml/

The button in the previous pictures was actually printed with lime green PLA. I wasn't sure how I wanted to finish the button so I used that because it was a prototype. I had been printing them for fitment tests and I needed to use up the last bit of filament on a roll. But, as it turned out, the painting was working out well and I just kept going with all the priming and painting. A black PLA button would obviously be better to start with.

Also - this was brushed not spray painted (air brushed) ?

I used a brush. I do have an airbrush and that would have been an even better final finish. You could thin the Tamiya X-1 paint or buy a gloss black airbrush paint. Much of this button is hidden by the bezel but if you had something completely out in the open and you wanted every part of the knob to pass the most demanding scrutiny (I needn't mention names at this point  ;D ) you can airbrush it. I'd use two coats for that.

Yesterday I got a black 3D printed button and sanded once, primed once, and painted one coat (pics attached). Though artifacts can be seen, even that makes the "raw" button look better. People can choose the level of finishing they deem needed.

(thinking of an entry in the repair - classic etc list) 👍
Thanks for sharing
Rob

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:10:24 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #110705 on: January 08, 2022, 05:26:15 pm »
A bit off topic but fits the repair theme.
My wife decided to see if she could fly down the stairs - gravity won - her ankle lost. Fractures on both sides of the ankle and dislocated about 1-2 inches!
She now has a bionic foot! Well nearly - but the orthopaedic surgeon is happy with the result - looks good 👍

Ouch.

Seven years ago I forgot there were 5 steps outside my front door, realised, and instantly decided to jump clear of the steps. I succeeded, but my leg ended up at a non-standard angle. The paramedics asked me how much it hurt on a scale of 1-10, and I answered 0.

Turned out I had snapped my patellar tendon, which doesn't have any nerve endings (so no pain) but is essential for walking.

End result, after 12 weeks gradually folding my knee plus several months physio, is pretty good.

Rule of thumb: bones heal, soft tissue scars. So if it is in the right position, it will probably turn out OK.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #110706 on: January 08, 2022, 05:33:22 pm »

Beautiful creature, when I had a dog, there is no way on earth that she would have been in a punt, she would have been in the river, she really was a dog fish.

That looks like a canal. And while "wet dog" smells horrible, "wet dog from bathing in the canal" has all chances of smelling worse than horrible. For staying dry, I say "Good dog!".

It's the river Cam but not much better than a canal. Orli is no longer with us but she hated water. She tried one paw off the punt and withdrew quickly. She loved going out on a punt. She certainly surprised a few foreign tourists who started taking photos of her instead of the colleges.

In the early 80s I used to go kayaking in the Cam upstream of Cambridge.

Nice and peaceful, with one surprising benefit: after upending myself, my hayfever disappeared for a week.

Probably kept your immune system busy enough with real work that it didn't have time to respond to false alarms for a week.  :)

I've always presumed that it just thoroughly flushed the crap out of my sinuses! It is the only allergy I've had, fortunately.

I can't remember having flu nor chicken pox (apparently I was taken to a pox party). I hope that means I'm less likely to suffer from covid rather than my immune system going overboard when repelling invaders.

I don't make a fuss about it* but I'm plagued by allergies. One of the oddly pleasant side effects of getting a cold, or a fresh vigorous new vaccination, is that I enjoy a few allergy free days. It seems like one's immune system has a limited capacity under "business as usual" circumstances and mild infections (or pseudo infections) use that up capacity leaving little free for minor allergic reactions.

*Unlike a certain class of people who invent allergies and intolerances for themselves, usually after reading an article in some periodical that is better used for personal hygiene of a bottom related nature. It's effing annoying to sit in a restaurant and listen to some muppet who's "avoiding gluten dh-arling" while you've got an Epipen in your pocket becuase you're eating somewhere where you don't have accurate control over the ingredients you're eating.

The "free from" section of the local supermarkets irritate me for similar reasons.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110707 on: January 08, 2022, 05:43:50 pm »
The "free from" section of the local supermarkets irritate me for similar reasons.

In my case that's both a "Yes!" and a more subdued "No". I've known a significant number of people with pukka, properly diagnosed coeliac disease well enough to know what a right pain in the arse it is for them (no pun intended), so the availability of better choices and better products for them to buy cheers me. That it took a bunch of air-headed, self-obsessed, pseudoscientific hypochondriacs to create a market big enough to interest the manufacturers sufficiently to get them off their collective arses annoys me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110708 on: January 08, 2022, 05:48:29 pm »
Those batteries I mentioned yesterday that failed to be delivered were delivered today by a postman in a van, who only came to my house and drove off again, it was the only Royal Mail delivery today in my street. So I'm guessing that Amazon have a special contract with them that prioritises Amazon deliveries. The package label was marked up as 24HR tracked, which in this case was a 48Hr delivery.

Does anyone know if there is a special agreement in place between or not?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110709 on: January 08, 2022, 06:08:12 pm »

I also have serious doubts abut relying on regenerative braking will be sufficient because it relies on having a load connected to the motor to generate that braking effect, now what would happen if by any chance that load were to be disconnected, due to a number of possibilities, loose connection, fractured connection etc, all braking would be lost.  For that reason, I think that disc brakes would still be required, but they would in effect be used in the main for emergency braking and also for the final coming to a rest where you require being rather than where the car and other external forces such as a nudge from another vehicle, gravity, wind etc decide where you're going to actually stop.

My current ICE car has regenerative braking on it, and while it's not aggressive, it is noticeable, and I can in many instances rely on it to drop my speed, if I'm given plenty of time to react correctly, it cannot bring me to a complete standstill, I still require brakes for that last bit. But in reality that does not happen very often as you simply are not given that luxury of having the road to yourself. There is always going to be interplay with others, be it in the form of pedestrians, animals, other road users etc to prevent the effective use of regenerative braking alone.

Being able to brake is a serious issue with all kinds of vehicles. So for any reasonable safety assesment, you'd need a redundant way to brake, as regenerative and active braking can't fulfil this safety requirement in a reasonable way. Ask me how I know (disclaimer: I never worked for automotive, but for industrial drives, and made a safety assessment for "motor braking" in robotic applications). It's quite difficult to fulfll safety requirements for safe braking considering all the faults an electrical system can have. So you'd always want a secondary (mechanical) brake that is able to stop the vehicle at an emergency situation.

Next issue is maximum braking deceleration. Synchronous motor mechanical torque is proportional to motor current at the electrical side, completely independent of rotational speed and direction. For economical reasons there's an upper limit for the motor current, set by inverter and motor design. You'd set this limit to your wanted acceleration performance of the car. For emergency braking, you'd want a significantly higher torque limit, that would at least require a more expensive inverter design (as in larger IGBTs) and most probably additional resistors to dissipate the braking energy as the battery has a max. charging current limit, too. In total, this most probably would be more expensive than just the additional mechanical brakes.

And yes, of course, technically the inverter can decelarate and "hold" the motor at zero rpm infinitely at nominal torque (equal to max. acceleration torque). But this would require measures to cope with constantly high current, accelerating is "pulse load" at least for the thermal mass of the motor components (to to the inverter, the typical IGBTs thermal mass is just good for some µs to ms ballpark values).

All that, plus the fact that regen braking stops working if the power source is removed, so the safety guys will never accept a system that doesn't work on pure mechanics (at least in the automotive world).

McBryce.

Not true. You don't need a power source to get regenerative braking. By definition it is producing electrical power not using it. Get a DC motor and try spinning the shaft. Then short the windings and try spinning it again. That resistance is dynamic breaking. Of course, as discussed earlier it does not work if the motor is not turning so is innefective when stationary or at low speeds. That is when DC injection braking is needed. Injection braking does of course consume power. This defeats the object so you still need friction brakes or a transmission lock.

Yes, but that's not how it works in real vehicles. Of course shorting a DC motor blocks the shaft (in a lab), but vehicles use 3 phase AC motors and blocking the motor without being able to control the amount of braking, switching the supply source in an emergency situation etc would just never be allowed. By the time you added additional battery backed regulation (for voltage coming from the motors) plus additional control circuitry that would have to be always active, you'd have a system that was heavier, more expensive and less reliable than simply leaving mechanical brakes as a backup and it still would only work if you added a massive dummy load in case the HV battery was fully charged at the time.

McBryce.

Modern EV's don't use "3 phase AC motors". They use brushless DC motors. These brake perfectly well without power They are basically DC permanent magnet motors with no commutator. Yes, most have 3 windings but thy coan have more.  They are not AC induction motors which do need power injection to brake. There may be slight resistance to turning with windings shorted but this is due to residual magentism.

Some newer EV'S use Brushless DC, but the majority of EV's on the road today are 3 phase AC. The trend isn't towards DC, rather it's more likely that both AC and DC will continue to be used in the future depending on the requirements. The current vehicle I am working on which won't hit the market until end of 2024 is a 3 phase AC solution.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:14:17 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110710 on: January 08, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »
Name me one EV that uses an AC induction motor.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110711 on: January 08, 2022, 06:20:02 pm »
Some newer EV'S use Brushless DC, but the majority of EV's on the road today are 3 phase AC. The trend isn't towards DC, rather it's more likely that both AC and DC will continue to be used in the future depending on the requirements. The current vehicle I am working on which won't hit the market until end of 2024 is a 3 phase AC solution.

McBryce.
Interesting... I thought the newer motors, like the VeeDub one in the video which started all this, were supposed to be a "hybrid"; using both DC brushless tech and HF AC to get both low-end grunt and high-speed efficiency, and to moderate noise?

Or is that still the stuff of "we're working on this" articles in the trade rags?

mnem

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110712 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:18 pm »

I've got ebay packages from practically empty beeping 10-wheeler containers reversing from the mailbox.
(<100m, not many)

Something fishy for sure.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110713 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:52 pm »

All Tesla's up to the S, although they are now changing over to IPMsynRM motors (Model 3). Every EV from GWM, Mahindra Reva, all Tata EV's, Streetscooter, e.Go Life, Rivian, ...

Interesting... I thought the newer motors, like the VeeDub one in the video which started all this, were supposed to be a "hybrid"; using both DC brushless tech and HF AC to get both low-end grunt and high-speed efficiency, and to moderate noise?

Or is that still the stuff of "we're working on this" articles in the trade rags?

mnem

The new motors on Tesla's (IPMsynRM) and VW's are this type of AC/DC Magnet+induction hybrid motor.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:15:05 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110714 on: January 08, 2022, 07:10:45 pm »
...I'm guessing that Amazon have a special contract with them that prioritises Amazon deliveries. The package label was marked up as 24HR tracked, which in this case was a 48Hr delivery.

That is for certain with USPS. They deliver for Amazon on Sunday where I lived in Houston, and my neighbor, who was a 20+ years postal retiree, used to grouse about how their "abusive" contracts with Amazon made it hard to get regular letter mail delivered in a timely fashion anymore.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:12:20 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110715 on: January 08, 2022, 07:16:12 pm »
Tesla, upto and including some model S cars

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #110716 on: January 08, 2022, 07:18:46 pm »

Challenge accepted: A former coworker has an EV called "Twike". He said, it uses an AC induction motor, and because of his and mine knowledge of industrial drive technology, I trust his word.

Anyway, afaik typical EVs today use 3ph PMSM (permanent magnet synchronous machine). Not exactly the same as DC brushless, but similar enough. A typical DC brushless is some special kind of a 3ph PMSM, with some differences in the shape of the magnetic poles. DC brushless uses rather trapezoidal curent waveforms, while PMSM operates on sine shaped current.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110717 on: January 08, 2022, 07:46:24 pm »
Mmm.. your codes
alt-225 = ß    alt-230 = µ   alt-234 = Ω   alt-236 = ∞   alt-248 = °   alt-0216 = Ø don't work that way on my setup  :palm:, I get
alt-225 = ß    alt-230 = µ   alt-234 = Û   alt-236 = ý    alt-248 = °   alt-0216 = Ø   :-//

Extended ASCII table from the Microsoft developers blog:   

Not sure, why you are getting different results.   Sometimes, a little trick helps: try a leading zero. alt-0236 instead of alt-236.
Nope, I then get completely differant results eg.

alt-234 = Ω   alt-236 = ∞
alt-234 = Û   alt-236 = ý
alt-0234 =ê   alt-0236 = ì

EDIT Looking at the extended ASCII table I seem to getting alt-0234 =ê (alt-136)  alt-0236 = ì (alt-141)
Probably your keyboard is a little nonstandard in the firmware; either a laptop keyboard or a short board that doesn't have a dedicated 10-key numeric pad, which full standard 104 key layout is what you need in order to be reasonably sure ALT codes work correctly.

I'm using a board with embedded 10-key right now on my laptop, and there's no way to make them work with it; I have to go find one of my posts and copy from it. But I had an old Toshiba back in my IRC daze which I could press both the FN and ALT keys, and then the embedded numeric keypad did in fact yield the correct characters.

mnem
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:54:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110718 on: January 08, 2022, 07:57:02 pm »
I know nothing of a Twike.
I will accept that the Tesla S uses a AC induction motor. BUT it's not a power induction motor as we know it i.e. asynchronous. It is described as an AC induction synchronous motor. The problem with asynchronous induction motors is they cannot act as generators. 
There is little information on the Tesla "S" motor but teardowns show it has straight bar conductors in the rotor. It is apparaent that rather than relying on slip to produce a magnetic field in the rotor, they inject carefully timed currents to induce current and thus fields in the rotor. Basically very clever drive waveforms this probably explains the extremely complex electronics in the "S" drive unit.
The S is of curse a performance vehicle so regeneration is less important. Virtually all other EV cars have either permanent magnet rotors or DC energised rotors via brushes. I dont know if it is used on cars but some motor / generators have a small additional rotor section that supplies the main rotor winding via a rectifier in the rotor, This has a separate stator winding energised with variable DC to control the rotor winding current.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110719 on: January 08, 2022, 08:09:16 pm »

Challenge accepted: A former coworker has an EV called "Twike". He said, it uses an AC induction motor, and because of his and mine knowledge of industrial drive technology, I trust his word.

Anyway, afaik typical EVs today use 3ph PMSM (permanent magnet synchronous machine). Not exactly the same as DC brushless, but similar enough. A typical DC brushless is some special kind of a 3ph PMSM, with some differences in the shape of the magnetic poles. DC brushless uses rather trapezoidal curent waveforms, while PMSM operates on sine shaped current.

I'll just quote from my copy of "Electric Motors and Drives Fundamentals" by Austin Hughes and Bill Drury.

It has to be admitted that the industrial and academic communities have served to make life confusing in this area by giving an array of different names to essentially the same machine, so we begin by looking at the terminology. The names we will encounter include:
  • Conventional synchronous machine with its rotor field winding (excited-rotor). This is the only machine that may have brushes, but even then they will only carry the rotor excitation current, not the main a.c. power input.
  • Permanent magnet synchronous machine with permanent magnets replacing the rotor field winding.
  • Brushless permanent magnet synchronous motor (same as (2)). The prefix ‘brushless’ is superfluous.
  • Brushless a.c. motor (same as (2)).
  • Brushless d.c. motor (same as (2) except for detailed differences in the field patterns). This name was coined in the 1970s to describe ‘inside-out’ motors that were intended as direct replacements for conventional d.c. motors, and in this sense it has some justification.
  • Permanent magnet servo motor (same as (2)).

The prevailing theme as one can clearly see is "same as (2)" so I suspect that it's wise not to be too prescriptive when saying that this type of permanent magnet synchronous motor is called X and that type is called Y.

I think it is particular brave to differentiate two motors as AC or DC on the shape of the alternating waveform that goes into them.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #110720 on: January 08, 2022, 08:09:23 pm »
I will accept that the Tesla S uses a AC induction motor. BUT it's not a power induction motor as we know it i.e. asynchronous. It is described as an AC induction synchronous motor. The problem with asynchronous induction motors is they cannot act as generators. 

Any common 3ph induction machine is able to operate as a motor as well as a generator. For motor operation, the electrical speed is somewhat higher than the mechanical speed, and for generator operation it's just the other way round. You can do FOC (field oriented control) to an asynchronous machine (vulgo induction motor) as well as to a synchronous motor (DC brushless, PMSM and its variants). Using the proper control law, one can "hold" both types of machines at zero RPM and more or less significant torque applied, though it's easier and more efficient to use a synchronous machine then.
DC injection is a rather primitive way to brake asynchronous machines at lower RPM, but one cannot generate torque at standstill using this method.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110721 on: January 08, 2022, 08:12:36 pm »
I know nothing of a Twike.

I know what a "twink" is is that's any help.  >:D

(Someone has to make up for arch-pervert BD139 not being around.)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110722 on: January 08, 2022, 08:27:10 pm »
As C says, too many names for basically the same thing.
My view
1/ AC induction motor - Rotor field is alternating and driven by AC (sine or near sinewave) on the stator field
2/ BLDC et al - Rotor field is steady and driven by permanent magnets / DC via brushes etc OR special waveforms on field winding.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110723 on: January 08, 2022, 08:35:42 pm »
Mmm.. your codes
alt-225 = ß    alt-230 = µ   alt-234 = Ω   alt-236 = ∞   alt-248 = °   alt-0216 = Ø don't work that way on my setup  :palm:, I get
alt-225 = ß    alt-230 = µ   alt-234 = Û   alt-236 = ý    alt-248 = °   alt-0216 = Ø   :-//

Extended ASCII table from the Microsoft developers blog:   

Not sure, why you are getting different results.   Sometimes, a little trick helps: try a leading zero. alt-0236 instead of alt-236.
Nope, I then get completely differant results eg.

alt-234 = Ω   alt-236 = ∞
alt-234 = Û   alt-236 = ý
alt-0234 =ê   alt-0236 = ì

EDIT Looking at the extended ASCII table I seem to getting alt-0234 =ê (alt-136)  alt-0236 = ì (alt-141)
Probably your keyboard is a little nonstandard in the firmware; either a laptop keyboard or a short board that doesn't have a dedicated 10-key numeric pad, which full standard 104 key layout is what you need in order to be reasonably sure ALT codes work correctly.

I'm using a board with embedded 10-key right now on my laptop, and there's no way to make them work with it; I have to go find one of my posts and copy from it. But I had an old Toshiba back in my IRC daze which I could press both the FN and ALT keys, and then the embedded numeric keypad did in fact yield the correct characters.

mnem
Could be the firm ware perhaps, but it is a full keyboard.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110724 on: January 08, 2022, 08:50:38 pm »
We are Discordant.

mnem
"So... normal state of abnormal, then...?" ~me

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf