Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16506582 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #110325 on: January 04, 2022, 01:26:49 am »
Vince,

I did some painting today with some buttons I was using as prototypes. I painted one flat black (because I don't yet have gloss black). I did NO sanding or priming as a test. Just doing that one step makes it look a lot better. On a second one, I'm going to do the full treatment. Meaning, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint final coat.

So far it's looking really good.

Hmmm, hjave fun ! It's almost 2h30 AM here, just finished watching Star Wars on the VCR, going to bed now !  ;D

Quote from: xrunner
May even be able to pass your anal-retentiveness test.  :-DD
We shall see ...

That's quite an ambition, I applaud your motivation !  ;D

To begin with, if you want a remote hope of passing the exam, you will need as Cerebrus said an " end mill " tool. That's what I had in mind when I was talking about face spotting, but lacked the vocabulary, thanks Cerebrus !  ;D

Good night....  :=\
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:33:41 am by Vince »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #110326 on: January 04, 2022, 01:38:46 am »

To begin with, if you want a remote hope of passing the exam, you will need as Cerebrus said an " end mill " tool. That's what I had in mind when I was talking about face spotting, but lacked the vocabulary, thanks Cerebrus !  ;D

Hahaha - the dots on the real buttons aren't that good!  :-DD

Damn you're gonna make it impossible to pass. OK, but remember your next project is gonna get scrutiny the likes of which has never before been witnessed by TEA members.

:box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110327 on: January 04, 2022, 01:42:32 am »
[/color]DO NOT at any time move the towel up and down. As with the Q-tip, this is the surest way to break that ceramic head. [/color]

Now, using a finger of the other hand on the top edge of the drum, rotate the head on its axis forward/backward 5-10 times. 10-20mm back and forth is all it takes. :-+ Now, rotate the drum to the next set of heads and repeat until you've gotten all 4 head locations.

mnem
 :-+

Ah maybe that's why I did not destroy the heads then ? When I used the Q-tips, I used them in just the way you described with the paper....
I never brushed the drum up and down. I just applied / pressed the Q-tip onto one groove, kept it steady, then rotated the drum a few times, then lowered the Q-tip to the next groove and repeated etc. Q-tip always was going along the groove, never scrubbing up or down.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #110328 on: January 04, 2022, 02:04:50 am »
No, you got lucky. Full stop. ;) As I mentioned, the heads are shaped such that there are essentially hooks on either side, which will eagerly snag on the fibers of the Q-tip. Please, please don't repeat the exercise; that would just be begging Murphy to make a example of you.  :-+

mnem
Officer Training 101: "Don't taunt Murphy."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110329 on: January 04, 2022, 02:05:51 am »
...To begin with, if you want a remote hope of passing the exam, you will need as Cerebrus said an " end mill " tool. That's what I had in mind when I was talking about face spotting, but lacked the vocabulary, thanks Cerebrus !  ;D

Dood... It is Cerebus. Not Cerebro, or Cerberus, or Celine Dion. After the world-infamous warrior aardvark of myth, barroom brawls and comic-books. At least do him the courtesy of getting his name right; whether or not he's sober enough to say it himself. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:15:47 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #110330 on: January 04, 2022, 04:04:37 am »
Got a few RF goodies today...a Keysight 20mm 8 in-lb torque wrench and a pair of used Suhner cables with 3.5mm connectors. Unfortunately, one of the latter is bad (large impedance bump right near one connector), so I've messaged the seller about a refund. Hoping they don't want it back because it's junk and needs to either be kept as a fun TDR example or Widlarized. Not sold to some other chump...  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #110331 on: January 04, 2022, 06:45:27 am »
Question time.

How to measure jitter on a scope (TDS784C) that doesn't seem to have an obvious delayed sweep function? Unless it's called something different and I'm too dumb to work it out......?

Horizontal Menu -> first select Timebase Main (slow enough to include the desired delay time), then Intesified (to visually choose when the delayed sweep shall happen), then Delayed Only (to show the delayed sweep), or use Delayed Runs ... after Main to set the delay time.
This method is quite common to digital Tek scopes, you'll find it similar on other models.

Great, thanks! Will give it a go and see. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110332 on: January 04, 2022, 07:02:04 am »
I'd guess that the "Ausculteur Dynamique" is a custom or aftermarket plug-in and not anything made by Tek themselves - I know I've got some 'other' non-Tek 500-series plug ins floating around here.

I'll try an educated guess...

Some kind of equipment for utrasonic non-destructive testing. Sockets for a transmitter and a sensor. A switch for changing the pulse rate ("Cadence"). Output for hooking up a scope as a visualisation device. And note the "LCPC" on the lower right -> Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chaussées. The French central agency for all things engineering of roads and bridges. Sold heaps of strain and pressure gauges to them during my time in Paris around 1975/76.

So, it's either something they made themselves or they had it made to their specs. Clever stunt to put it into a 500 series housing as a cabinet and power supply. They were quite familiar with those as well.

But nothing Vince could put to any use, not lastly because the transducers are missing.
To take that further: An 'Auskultierhammer' is a archaic designation for the little hammer used by medical personnel for reflex testing.  This points also to a sort of stimulus/reaction functionality.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #110333 on: January 04, 2022, 07:04:29 am »
This Tektronix TM500 standalone module just popped up.  No idea what it is.. so just in case it's something interesting and rare someone might be interested in ?!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/outillage_materiaux_2nd_oeuvre/2036581441.htm

There is no model number written on the face plate somehow ?! So I can't even look it up on Tekwiki ! :-//

Face plate is in French. Says it's an " Ausculteur Dynamique ".  "Dynamic" something... meh !  :-//

https://img.leboncoin.fr/api/v1/lbcpb1/images/08/aa/58/08aa58bd4ee3e49322bd9b2b874d3eabc1259383.jpg?rule=ad-large

My vote is also on some sort of ultrasound transducery thingo, measuring thickness or density etc.

It would be a decent candidate for repurposing the module (maybe to make a mainframe tester. :D ), if it wasn't priced so ridiculously high.....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:06:03 am by TERRA Operative »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110334 on: January 04, 2022, 07:33:34 am »
This Tektronix TM500 standalone module just popped up.  No idea what it is.. so just in case it's something interesting and rare someone might be interested in ?!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/outillage_materiaux_2nd_oeuvre/2036581441.htm

There is no model number written on the face plate somehow ?! So I can't even look it up on Tekwiki ! :-//

Face plate is in French. Says it's an " Ausculteur Dynamique ".  "Dynamic" something... meh !  :-//

https://img.leboncoin.fr/api/v1/lbcpb1/images/08/aa/58/08aa58bd4ee3e49322bd9b2b874d3eabc1259383.jpg?rule=ad-large

My vote is also on some sort of ultrasound transducery thingo, measuring thickness or density etc.

It would be a decent candidate for repurposing the module (maybe to make a mainframe tester. :D ), if it wasn't priced so ridiculously high.....
Of course any module below 50.- is a candidate for that. But I have 4 modules from 5000-series scopes in store and that price is so far away that I don't see that haggling would bring it into that range.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #110335 on: January 04, 2022, 07:52:12 am »
Yeah, 155euro is more than I pay here in Japan for a TM502 with AM503B Current Clamp module with a toolbox module. (No current clamp though..)

To paraphrase an iconic Australian movie: Tell 'im he's dreamin'!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:54:29 am by TERRA Operative »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #110336 on: January 04, 2022, 08:18:47 am »
Big TEA spend up today of new toys to learn about and play with.......a 2GHz 4ch scope and a 4 port VNA.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #110337 on: January 04, 2022, 10:48:12 am »
Question time.

How to measure jitter on a scope (TDS784C) that doesn't seem to have an obvious delayed sweep function? Unless it's called something different and I'm too dumb to work it out......?

Horizontal Menu -> first select Timebase Main (slow enough to include the desired delay time), then Intesified (to visually choose when the delayed sweep shall happen), then Delayed Only (to show the delayed sweep), or use Delayed Runs ... after Main to set the delay time.
This method is quite common to digital Tek scopes, you'll find it similar on other models.

Great, thanks! Will give it a go and see. :)

Hmm I don't think I'm doing it right, I can't figure out how to measure jitter still..

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110338 on: January 04, 2022, 11:19:17 am »
Vince,

I did some painting today with some buttons I was using as prototypes. I painted one flat black (because I don't yet have gloss black). I did NO sanding or priming as a test. Just doing that one step makes it look a lot better. On a second one, I'm going to do the full treatment. Meaning, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint final coat.

So far it's looking really good.

Hmmm, hjave fun ! It's almost 2h30 AM here, just finished watching Star Wars on the VCR, going to bed now !  ;D

Quote from: xrunner
May even be able to pass your anal-retentiveness test.  :-DD
We shall see ...

Ooh ho, I hear the sound of the grinding wheel and the opening of the draw containing all of that ceremonial cutlery, that Cerebus is so proud of...... :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #110339 on: January 04, 2022, 12:04:44 pm »
Not so sure I'm going to order from this HVStuff.com outfit again. First, when I realized they were in China it didn't give me warm fuzzies. 2nd, I placed the order on December 22 and as of this morning it still hasn't shipped. Now I paid for "7 to 30 day international shipping" but to me that means it's gonna take that long to get here through the mail. But apparently means they will ship when they finally get around to it...like whenever. ::) Funny, it didn't take "whenever" when they took my money. That was same day.

And then of course....will the parts be real or fakes?  :-// (If I ever get them).  :palm: 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:08:04 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #110340 on: January 04, 2022, 12:35:56 pm »
Ooh ho, I hear the sound of the grinding wheel and the opening of the draw containing all of that ceremonial cutlery, that Cerebus is so proud of...... :-DD :-DD

I'll be working on the button again today. Sanding, priming, fussing and fiddling with any tiny leftover hint of the 3D printing process ... until you'll need a microscope to see any flaws. I suppose I'll need to get out the microscope anyway to prove to Vince it's as flawless as humanly possible. I realize that might not even be enough - but at least I'll have given my all. I'll go down proud of the effort I've put in.  :P

Speaking of other issues with the Boonton meter, it's working extremely well except there is more noise on the lowest range (-50 dBm) than I would have expected. More of "if I barley touch this the noise changes" issues. It looks like the issue now is the sensor mounting connection on the front. Not the wiring but the panel mounting. It barely has a movement and that's enough to make the noise change wildly. If I hold it against the panel with pliers the noise doesn't fluctuate. So I have to go back in and get to the nut and give it a good tightening.

One thing after another.  :scared:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #110341 on: January 04, 2022, 01:19:03 pm »
Today's arrival:

CD4040, pack of 10. Am going to divide a 1PPS signal with 60 and try driving a 24V wall clock face with it. just need to make it flip polarity and know when it's the right fraction.

Also, Lumberg barrel-and-pin DC connectors. Allegedly the best of this shitty connector; rivalled possibly by Switchcraft and perhaps CUI.

Finally, an assortment of DIL sockets, and a transformer 230->12V, 3500mA.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110342 on: January 04, 2022, 01:22:47 pm »
I'll be working on the button again today. Sanding, priming, fussing and fiddling with any tiny leftover hint of the 3D printing process ...

Someone in a German vintage radio forum suggests exposing the printed parts to acetone vapours to make them shine. The photo shows some plastic parts for a radio in a saucepan with the acetone at the bottom before the treatment. He then puts the lid on and heats the whole thing on a hotplate. Not for the faint of heart, though...

https://www.dampfradioforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31894#p286366

Further up in the thread, he shows some buttons he has printed. The leftmost is untreated, the second from the left after the acetone treatment.

https://www.dampfradioforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31894#p286255
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:29:49 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110343 on: January 04, 2022, 01:35:30 pm »
...To begin with, if you want a remote hope of passing the exam, you will need as Cerebrus said an " end mill " tool. That's what I had in mind when I was talking about face spotting, but lacked the vocabulary, thanks Cerebrus !  ;D

Dood... It is Cerebus. Not Cerebro, or Cerberus, or Celine Dion. After the world-infamous warrior aardvark of myth, barroom brawls and comic-books. At least do him the courtesy of getting his name right; whether or not he's sober enough to say it himself. ;)

mnem

Sorry if I mispelt Cerebrus Cerebus, but this particular string of character does not mean anything to me so it's hard to memorize it properly, just like yours, that's why I prefer to call you dwagon because dwagon is a word i know, so I am unlikely to mispell it.

That said I think Cerebus is plenty capable enough of speaking for himself, if he deemed it necessary. It's not like he was a timid 5 year old in w heel chair that needed you protection....

I never heard you lecture anyone on how to spell tggzzz which nobody can get right. Neither did I of course, but I was so tired of not knowing how to spell it that I eventually tried and found a way to remember it, in case it helps others... The repetition rate of the letters increases by one with each passing letter. So " T " is written only once, then the second letter " G " is written twice, and third letter " Z " is written 3 times. 1-2-3 times TGZ = TGGZZZ.   

For Cerebus I guess it's easier. Since it looks like I get the end wrong, brus instead of bus... I can just say that it's like an electrical bus, I2C or whatever... easy enough.

At the end of the day you can't expect everyone to get everyone else's weird string of characters right, never mind every single time. I am 44 and here in 44 years I have never even once met a stranger spell my family name properly, not once. Even when I spell it loud to them they will write something else, because they don't really listen to me, they just write whatever they want to write. 100% of the people make the same spelling mistake, so I always make sure to explicitly tell people : " WARNING you have to write it THIS way not THAT way ".... but still, people don't listen. and do as they please.

So if people in my home country can't spell a French name, how can people on the web expect foreigners to remember lots of meaningless (to them at least) strings of characters ? It's just not realistic, sorry....  :-//

So I will keep calling you dwagon for fear of misspelling mnenXYZ, for example. And if if someone somehow can't remember how to spell "Vince" properly, I won't mind if they call me the frog instead, if they can remember that more easily. I am not fussed about strings of characters, I am more interested in the actual people behind those strings...  :P

The spelling will straighten itself over time. It' show brains work... the longer you are exposed to something, the better you memorize it. Have spent 9 months on TEA now, and can remember a few names, of course the ones that post most often and have the easiest to remember (to me) strings of characters. Those with a more difficult to get right string, will take more time to get right, especially if they don't post as often as you do  !  ;D

The above is for information only and is not meant to start another bandwidth wasting topic  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110344 on: January 04, 2022, 01:37:36 pm »
I'll be working on the button again today. Sanding, priming, fussing and fiddling with any tiny leftover hint of the 3D printing process ...

Someone in a German vintage radio forum suggests exposing the printed parts to acetone vapours to make them shine. The photo shows some plastic parts for a radio in a saucepan with the acetone at the bottom before the treatment. He then puts the lid on and heats the whole thing on a hotplate. Not for the faint of heart, though...

Further up in the thread, he shows some buttons he has printed. The leftmost is untreated, the second from the left after the acetone treatment.

Yeah; acetone-polishing is for ABS/ASA; I believe Z printed these in PLA.

Also, it really is a bad choice for anything that needs to be in any way dimensionally accurate... you are essentially slumping the entire outer 0.5-1mm of the part, which moves as it will in accordance with gravity vs surface tension.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110345 on: January 04, 2022, 01:45:01 pm »

Hahaha - the dots on the real buttons aren't that good!  :-DD

Damn you're gonna make it impossible to pass. OK, but remember your next project is gonna get scrutiny the likes of which has never before been witnessed by TEA members.

:box:

Don't be so pessimistic, I am sure you will pass. Only minor rework / improvement is needed in your case, and you seem plenty capable and motivated to achieve it, so I am not worried in the slightest ! :-+
I will be nice and tell you that I don't require a microscope ! A decent macro shot with your camera will be just fine  8)

If your button ends up being better than the originals well the better : that will give you an excuse to replace ALL the buttons so that it looks consistent, and that will give you yet another excuse to get some play time with your 3D printer ! See the pattern here ? It's a virtuous cycle, not a vicious one ! !  :D  Have fun !  ^-^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:52:43 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110346 on: January 04, 2022, 01:54:31 pm »

mnem

Sorry if I mispelt Cerebrus Cerebus, but this particular string of character does not mean anything to me so it's hard to memorize it properly, just like yours, that's why I prefer to call you dwagon because dwagon is a word i know, so I am unlikely to mispell it.

That said I think Cerebus is plenty capable enough of speaking for himself, if he deemed it necessary. It's not like he was a timid 5 year old in w heel chair that needed you protection....

I never heard you lecture anyone on how to spell tggzzz which nobody can get right. Neither did I of course, but I was so tired of not knowing how to spell it that I eventually tried and found a way to remember it, in case it helps others... The repetition rate of the letters increases by one with each passing letter. So " T " is written only once, then the second letter " G " is written twice, and third letter " Z " is written 3 times. 1-2-3 times TGZ = TGGZZZ.   

For Cerebus I guess it's easier. Since it looks like I get the end wrong, brus instead of bus... I can just say that it's like an electrical bus, I2C or whatever... easy enough.

At the end of the day you can't expect everyone to get everyone else's weird string of characters right, never mind every single time. I am 44 and here in 44 years I have never even once met a stranger spell my family name properly, not once. Even when I spell it loud to them they will write something else, because they don't really listen to me, they just write whatever they want to write. 100% of the people make the same spelling mistake, so I always make sure to explicitly tell people : " WARNING you have to write it THIS way not THAT way ".... but still, people don't listen. and do as they please.

So if people in my home country can't spell a French name, how can people on the web expect foreigners to remember lots of meaningless (to them at least) strings of characters ? It's just not realistic, sorry....  :-//

So I will keep calling you dwagon for fear of misspelling mnenXYZ, for example. And if if someone somehow can't remember how to spell "Vince" properly, I won't mind if they call me the frog instead, if they can remember that more easily. I am not fussed about strings of characters, I am more interested in the actual people behind those strings...  :P

The spelling will straighten itself over time. It' show brains work... the longer you are exposed to something, the better you memorize it. Have spent 9 months on TEA now, and can remember a few names, of course the ones that post most often and have the easiest to remember (to me) strings of characters. Those with a more difficult to get right string, will take more time to get right, especially if they don't post as often as you do  !  ;D

The above is for information only and is not meant to start another bandwidth wasting topic  ;D
It's a simple matter of giving a damn, to at least bother to try. What this whole wall of text says is "I don't give a damn".

I deliberately didn't correct you on my nick because I make it a habit of shortening it to mnem as a courtesy to others; my IRL name is long, Polish, and related to a infamous Russian novelist, so I understand full-well how hard it is to get some names right. However in this space, if you're not sure it's a simple matter of scrolling up or back a page to double-check. :palm: Doing so actually helps you remember what you're having problems with.

The difference here is right in your post: you actually bothered to come up with a mnemonic for Cerebus. In my case, you couldn't even be arsed to try.

Cheers,

mnem
Respect is for everybody.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:59:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110347 on: January 04, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »
Oh you gotta love the Dwagon, so predictable, like clock work, never misses a beat !  ;D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110348 on: January 04, 2022, 02:19:24 pm »
Cheap Tektronix 492 on ebay this morning (699$US).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304287204898

Has option 1,2,3 (Preselector, Digital Storage, 100Hz Resolution Bandwidth) and look like it's working fine.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:25:22 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110349 on: January 04, 2022, 02:25:10 pm »

Yeah; acetone-polishing is for ABS/ASA; I believe Z printed these in PLA.

Also, it really is a bad choice for anything that needs to be in any way dimensionally accurate... you are essentially slumping the entire outer 0.5-1mm of the part, which moves as it will in accordance with gravity vs surface tension.

mnem
 :-/O

The "acetone slump" isn't quite that bad, usually less than 0.25mm. What can cause problems is that it rounds off all sharp corners and small details. For PLA you can get a similar effect using Ethyl Acetate, but beware, it's seriously nasty stuff and you should only use it outdoors if you want to survive the process!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf