Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732785 times)

Vince, RolandK, flash2b and 90 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109900 on: December 30, 2021, 11:26:23 am »
As an adjunct to the 3552A setup, I had to make a test cable.

I therefore present to you, the "Anti-phool" cable:

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

2x 0,34mm2 LIYY, banana plugs made from prime Chinesium, and the universally most hated speaker connector on earth, the DIN 41529 flat-and-pin connector.

The nice parts are in the finishing-up: shrink tubing on exposed conductors, ferrules on all ends of wires (there are screw terminals both in the bananas and the DIN plug, and silicone hose as strain relief in the DIN connector end.

For the uninformed, there's a lot to hate:

• Non-expensive bananas
  • Puny cross-section, non-OFC cheap cable
  • DIN 41529 plug

I admit I'm no friend of the 41529 connector. In fact, I despise it. But the Quad 303 comes with it. And I've not got much incentive to mod the amp to carry Speakon or similar.

And this cable lets me measure end-to-end channel balance in my stereo system, with ease.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109901 on: December 30, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »
Always keeping an eye on those levels and the programme loudness... in dB nowadays...  :-)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:07:42 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, capt bullshot, ch_scr

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109902 on: December 30, 2021, 12:08:32 pm »
Lab V2.0 is underway. Getting all fancy and modern now with the addition of a 22" flat screen connected to my TDS544A digical Tek scope !  :scared:
When I am old at least I will be able to see what's on the scope, eh ?!  ;D

The other day a friend gave me not one but two old 22" monitors of his, that decided to pack up recently in unison. Both of them are from 2007 so almost 15 years of age.
He bought brand new monitors to replace them, so he gave me the old ones. I could potentially make use of them, given that the last of my 3 beloved 17" CRT Samsung monitors died very recently, plus I intend to add a dedicated computer to lab V2.0 in the making. So I was kinda motivated to try to fix them. Both of them have a black screen, and no backlight, and "some" activity from the power button LED. I mean I can't make sense of it but at least I know the CPU is alive enough to play with the LED, so that's good I guess...

Given their age, both have fluorescent tubes (4 of them) as a backlight, no LED yet.

I started with the Samsung. Throwing a torch at the screen, I could see there was a picture there, CPU was displaying a moving " No Signal check cable " message. So no backlight it is.
Checked power board, low voltage going to the CPU board was there (13.5V), but not a sausage coming out of the inverter feeding the backlight. So at least I knew the primary side of the PSU was working, and problem was limited to the HV inverter. It runs from the 13.5V. Then 2 transformers each with two outputs, power the 4 fluo tubes. The primary winding of the two transformers are connected in //, and are switched between ground an 13.5V using a couple dual complementary MOSFET 8 pin chips. Zero sign of activity or voltage anywhere in the circuit... was at a loss. So tried my chance : replaced the two electrolytic caps that looked like they were at the heart of the oscillator. They looked fine visually, but well no schematic and circuit way too complex to improvise, so replacing these two guys was about the only thing I could do, short of spending my life troubleshooting it. Checked them with my new Chinese gizmo, that dirt cheap AVR based component tester everyone gets. Glad I bought it, now I can check ESR on old caps. Was not that bad actually, single digit ohms, a bit high of course but not delirious. Caps are identical, small ones, 820uF at 25V. However capacitance was way down at 150uF or so IIRC. So clearly not healthy, so I had "some" hope, it might make at least some difference. Searched my box of 40+ year old salvaged caps, found a couple 1000uF... about OK. ESR checked great and capacitance was spot on 1000uF, so I had some degree of confidence they would be better than the old ones I just pulled... And indeed it did the job, backlight/monitor now works  !  8)
Well the backlight flickers badly for a minute or two following power up, then stabilizes / works fine. So either the fluo tubes are tired (?) and/or it's my old caps that are "reforming" at power up. 30 years+ sitting in a box, I could understand that... might throw brand new caps in there to see if it fixes it.

The only video source I had in the lab was my Tek scope, so well I gave that a try !  Works fine... picture looks blurry and washed out, but in the flesh not so at all, it's just fine. My old camera might need replacing, it's getting worse and worse. Only problem is that being an LCD screen ie crap, any resolution that's not native, poses some sort of problem. So feeding VGA / 640x480 into a 1680x1050 screen just can't go smoothly. Both screens have the same problem : up close, up close only, doesn't show in the pics of course, you can see subtle vertical artifacts. The background is not perfectly / solid  black. Instead you get a pattern, a succession of thin (5mm or so wide) vertical stripes, alternating between black and very dark purple/violet or dark grey depending on the screen.

So that was one of the two 22" monitors.

The other one same age same fluo backlight, same symptom (no picture), a Chinese brand I can't even pronounce "Chimei" or something. Looks less crappy, material and build quality wise, and my friend said it had a better picture than the bottom of the barrel Samsung.

That one I could not see a picture with the torch light sadly... and the power button LED was also showing some life... so that was looking bad.. pointing to a defective digital board not sending data to the screen. Hopes of fixing a digital board is next to nil, so I was feeling down.
Checked power board, a couple low voltage rails. They looked OK... didn't know what to do. However the 4 electrolytics on the LV secondary side were visually kaput, swelled. So I thought OK let's at least try to replace those, see if somehow it makes a difference. It did, screen works now !  :D
But the voltages were fine so I don't know... maybe them being shot, made their performance at power up give bad transients. The CPU board maybe required a very accurate power up sequence and rise time, and the dodgy caps would not let that happen anymore ? I don't know...

Anyway, fixed two 22" monitors in record time for zero money, right when my last CRT monitor died, so pretty pleased, I am covered now : I am using the Chimei right now on my computer to write this, and the crappy Samsung is still on the bench displaying the output of the Tek scope, and will later use it probably to hook to a future second PC I will set up just for the lab / bench. So less money to spend !  :-+

So that was my X-mas gift(s) I guess...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:51:26 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, BILLPOD, Peter_O

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #109903 on: December 30, 2021, 12:36:17 pm »
Boonton Model 42A Repair

I think most of the regulars here know this but for the guests that may not know - I was going through the calibration procedure - just reading for now. I did want to do the simple mechanical adjustment of the meter zero. It was off a bit so I turned the front screw ... the needle then floated like a feather up about 1/4 way and stayed there. At that point the adjustment had no effect at all. I knew what was probably wrong.

Had to open the meter to fix it. Wasn't too hard to do. Took off the left frame brace and then was able to get to two tiny screws on the left that held on the meter faceplate.  Pulled that off and yep - the adjustment cam or pin had not been in the right place. It has to be in-between those two copper guides shown by the arrow. May have been out for years. Just line them up with the adjustment pin and put it back together.

You can see a small copper plate on the meter faceplate that grounds it. The glass plate is hand-made and hand ground around the edges - not to be seen in modern times.

Several other items:

A. The last black button is missing, lost ages ago along it's journey to me. I am going to attempt to design it in Fusion 360 and 3D print. I don't think it's going to be too hard of a design but talk is cheap.  :-DD

(there is actually two empty switch positions but the last one next to the red power button is unused)

B. I think I want to convert the meter lighting to LEDs. It's ~ 5.5 VAC to two 349 bulbs. You can see the two bulbs in the pics. I can just move the wires in the rear from the transformer to the +15 V rail easily and add the correct resistor, change the wiring in front. I'll also design a holder plate for the LEDs which also acts as a diffuser for the light, printed in clear filament. Anyone for or against this idea? If so, state your reasons I'll listen.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109904 on: December 30, 2021, 01:01:48 pm »
Looks more modern inside that the outside suggested ! Fancy circuit boards, fiber glass at that, and modern looking components... I guess I got confused with the VTVM that looked kinda similar in appearance but are old style vacuum tube design inside...

Meter face is nice enough to give you the specs for the movement : 190uA full scale deviation. How thoughtful...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:03:21 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109905 on: December 30, 2021, 01:04:40 pm »
Looks more modern inside that the outside suggested ! Fancy circuit boards, fiber glass at that, and modern looking components... I guess I got confused with the VTVM that looked kinda similar in appearance but are old style vacuum tube design inside...

Meter face is nice enough to give you the specs for the movement : 190uA full scale deviation. How thoughtful...

Speaking of circuit boards I need to take pics of those for you guys. Will do shortly.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #109906 on: December 30, 2021, 01:25:35 pm »
just scored an Atten ST862D hot air station for an extremely low-ball price. left a uni-t 161b meter sitting there cuz I just don't need it.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109907 on: December 30, 2021, 01:49:42 pm »
Lab V2.0 is underway. Getting all fancy and modern now with the addition of a 22" flat screen connected to my TDS544A digical Tek scope !  :scared:
When I am old at least I will be able to see what's on the scope, eh ?!  ;D

The other day a friend gave me not one but two old 22" monitors of his, that decided to pack up recently in unison. Both of them are from 2007 so almost 15 years of age.
He bought brand new monitors to replace them, so he gave me the old ones. I could potentially make use of them, given that the last of my 3 beloved 17" CRT Samsung monitors died very recently, plus I intend to add a dedicated computer to lab V2.0 in the making. So I was kinda motivated to try to fix them. Both of them have a black screen, and no backlight, and "some" activity from the power button LED. I mean I can't make sense of it but at least I know the CPU is alive enough to play with the LED, so that's good I guess...

Given their age, both have fluorescent tubes (4 of them) as a backlight, no LED yet.

I started with the Samsung. Throwing a torch at the screen, I could see there was a picture there, CPU was displaying a moving " No Signal check cable " message. So no backlight it is.
Checked power board, low voltage going to the CPU board was there (13.5V), but not a sausage coming out of the inverter feeding the backlight. So at least I knew the primary side of the PSU was working, and problem was limited to the HV inverter. It runs from the 13.5V. Then 2 transformers each with two outputs, power the 4 fluo tubes. The primary winding of the two transformers are connected in //, and are switched between ground an 13.5V using a couple dual complementary MOSFET 8 pin chips. Zero sign of activity or voltage anywhere in the circuit... was at a loss. So tried my chance : replaced the two electrolytic caps that looked like they were at the heart of the oscillator. They looked fine visually, but well no schematic and circuit way too complex to improvise, so replacing these two guys was about the only thing I could do, short of spending my life troubleshooting it. Checked them with my new Chinese gizmo, that dirt cheap AVR based component tester everyone gets. Glad I bought it, now I can check ESR on old caps. Was not that bad actually, single digit ohms, a bit high of course but not delirious. Caps are identical, small ones, 820uF at 25V. However capacitance was way down at 150uF or so IIRC. So clearly not healthy, so I had "some" hope, it might make at least some difference. Searched my box of 40+ year old salvaged caps, found a couple 1000uF... about OK. ESR checked great and capacitance was spot on 1000uF, so I had some degree of confidence they would be better than the old ones I just pulled... And indeed it did the job, backlight/monitor now works  !  8)
Well the backlight flickers badly for a minute or two following power up, then stabilizes / works fine. So either the fluo tubes are tired (?) and/or it's my old caps that are "reforming" at power up. 30 years+ sitting in a box, I could understand that... might throw brand new caps in there to see if it fixes it.

...snip...

The Samsung SyncMaster LandfillMaster monitor I have failed in a different way, it had that nice sealant/glue on various components, it had all gone brown & crusty and corroded one of the resistors, which had gone open circuit.
Luckily I found a replacement on one of the various scrap PCB's, from other dead consumer grade crap. That resistor fixed it and a few weeks later I gave it some fresh capacitors, can't remember how long ago this was and I didn't take any pictures it seems.

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109908 on: December 30, 2021, 01:56:43 pm »
Boonton Model 42A Repair

...snip...

B. I think I want to convert the meter lighting to LEDs. It's ~ 5.5 VAC to two 349 bulbs. You can see the two bulbs in the pics. I can just move the wires in the rear from the transformer to the +15 V rail easily and add the correct resistor, change the wiring in front. I'll also design a holder plate for the LEDs which also acts as a diffuser for the light, printed in clear filament. Anyone for or against this idea? If so, state your reasons I'll listen.  :popcorn:

Personally I would keep the original lamps, I can't imagine it being used enough for them to fail, plus I hate blue & white LED lighting, I find it very distracting & dazzling due to the excessive light output and blue based LED dies.

David

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109909 on: December 30, 2021, 01:59:36 pm »
Great seller.. even sends a spare glow-fet
now lets not try to kill myself.  :-DD

[edit] i see now the meter is replaced.

Do you have the correct output lead for the HV PSU? Others on here may know which variant of high voltage BNC connector is used by Keithley.

David
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:01:28 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109910 on: December 30, 2021, 02:16:10 pm »
Personally I would keep the original lamps, I can't imagine it being used enough for them to fail, plus I hate blue & white LED lighting, I find it very distracting & dazzling due to the excessive light output and blue based LED dies.

David

Oh no - it won't be blue or pure white. I have warm white LEDs that look very similar to incandescent lamps.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109911 on: December 30, 2021, 02:16:35 pm »

For some of the stuff with LEDs they make nowadays, especially the white and blue ones, it should be made compulsory to include a set of welder's goggles.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109912 on: December 30, 2021, 02:18:46 pm »
More on the 5340A

Bringing back the working 5340A allowed me to test another recent arrival from the bay-of-evil, the HP 8616A oscillator, which seems to be working OK. It's not missing the frequency knob, that is in the queue for gluing back together.

First thing I cleaned the slide switch, lots of dust in there.  :o

I've also tested a couple of cards from the broken 5340A in the working unit, so far I've found the A21 control board is responsible for the lack of count.

And the A23 count register board is responsible for the 7s & 9s showing on the display at the same time.

After that I put the two working boards in the faulty unit, it's now counts in self check & the direct input, but no activity on the high frequency input.

David
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:23:50 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al, 0culus, duckduck

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109913 on: December 30, 2021, 02:42:39 pm »

For some of the stuff with LEDs they make nowadays, especially the white and blue ones, it should be made compulsory to include a set of welder's goggles.

Or use something like this and limit the current to 10...100µA

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109914 on: December 30, 2021, 02:52:43 pm »
The Seward Supernova portable appliance tester arrived today. Packing was marginal. Just some used bubblewrap a battered cardboard box and black clingflim. Box and film were torn but the Supernova is a tough beast. Got it unpacked and it all works  :-DMM
Not bad for £25 including shipping a 10kg package.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109915 on: December 30, 2021, 03:02:51 pm »

Before Christmas I had a breadboard in front of the computer with a serial adapter board, a FLASH eeprom programmer, a cheapo ST-Link programmer, an STM32F412 dev board, iCE40 FPGA dev board, one of my own 8 [low intensity] LED diagnostic boards and a green 8 digit 7 segment LED display board all plugged into it, all running off USB power from the computer.

When I went to bed at night it would all stay powered up from USB standby power. After turning the lights off I could see the light from all the associated LEDs on the dev boards throw an outline of the living room doorway onto the opposite hall wall.  I don't know how the cat managed to get a wink of sleep with that amount of garish flashing light splashing around. (Who am I kidding, that cat could sleep through the apocalypse, but can still wake and get to the kitchen 3 seconds after hearing the fridge door open.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109916 on: December 30, 2021, 03:12:10 pm »
The Seward Supernova portable appliance tester arrived today. Packing was marginal. Just some used bubblewrap a battered cardboard box and black clingflim. Box and film were torn but the Supernova is a tough beast. Got it unpacked and it all works  :-DMM

I also got a [forgotten] order delivered today. Scotttrade12 on ebay is banging out these Motorola GPS timing antennae for £6 each and I forgot that I'd ordered one. Brand new, still in the taped factory anti-static bag.

Someone else's photo as scotttrade12's photos are awful.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109917 on: December 30, 2021, 03:32:07 pm »

David

Oh no - it won't be blue or pure white. I have warm white LEDs that look very similar to incandescent lamps.

The warm white LEDs are really very good...  I have some LED bulbs mounted in a light fixture along with regular incandescent bulbs here, and you literally cannot tell the difference between the colour of the LED vs. incandescent -  very impressive.

Of course, all that falls apart when you use a dimmer - the incandescents still look better in that situation...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109918 on: December 30, 2021, 03:41:52 pm »
Did a bit more work in the garage.
I seem to have a LOT of Farnell G Series. These are high quality switchmode single output "equipment" PSUs. Power ratings from 30 to 600W and nominal voltages of 6, 12, 15, 24, 30 and 48V. I have mostly 120, 240 and 360W models.
One thing that is not obvious from the basic specification is that with an external pot the voltage on any unit can be turned down to about 2V. Full output current is maintained. This means a 30V 360W unit will make a 2-31V 12V adjustable supply. They can also be connected in series or parallel for more current or voltage.
These things were expensive when new. A 30W was £115 a 36W £420. I when through a patch of buying any that came up cheap on ebay or at hamfests about 20 years ago. I bought more than I thought....

I have a 30V one cased up and metered. It had issues recently with the mains switch welding on. After the second one welded the RIFA on the input failed. I put the switch failures down to the RIFA. I was wrong, it has happened again  :-BROKE
I then remembered that the larger G series have an inrush current limiter. This comprises a 12.5R resistor with a triac across it. Te triac is switched on by the regulator aux voltage coming up. There is a thermal switch to protect if the triac does not come on.
I strongly suspect the triac has gone short circuit. It's a isolated TO220 device. I've ordered a replacement, slightly higher voltage and current, and will fit it when it arrives.
If anyone ever needs a G series let me know...

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109919 on: December 30, 2021, 03:43:06 pm »

I also got a [forgotten] order delivered today. Scotttrade12 on ebay is banging out these Motorola GPS timing antennae for £6 each and I forgot that I'd ordered one. Brand new, still in the taped factory anti-static bag.

Someone else's photo as scotttrade12's photos are awful.

I've a couple of those too.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #109920 on: December 30, 2021, 03:57:21 pm »
That one I could not see a picture with the torch light sadly... and the power button LED was also showing some life... so that was looking bad.. pointing to a defective digital board not sending data to the screen. Hopes of fixing a digital board is next to nil, so I was feeling down.
Checked power board, a couple low voltage rails. They looked OK... didn't know what to do. However the 4 electrolytics on the LV secondary side were visually kaput, swelled. So I thought OK let's at least try to replace those, see if somehow it makes a difference. It did, screen works now !  :D
But the voltages were fine so I don't know... maybe them being shot, made their performance at power up give bad transients. The CPU board maybe required a very accurate power up sequence and rise time, and the dodgy caps would not let that happen anymore ? I don't know...

My best guess (I used to just shotgun the PSU output caps with new low-ESR caps in busted LCD displays) is that even though the voltage looks ok on a meter, the busted caps let enough high frequency noise through to effectively 'jam' the video processor chips.

I never bothered to verify it on a scope, as almost always just replacing the (designed to fail) cheap Chinese 'low-ESR' caps with good quality Japanese caps would have the display working perfectly again.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109921 on: December 30, 2021, 04:01:08 pm »

For this anount of money you could contact

https://www.daliborfarny.com/

He will make you any number you want, they are new and price per tube is probably less than here.  8)

One more thing on my want list. . .    At 145EUR each, I'll need to win the lottery.  Nevertheless. . . . 

https://www.daliborfarny.com/product/rz568m-nixie-tube/

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #109922 on: December 30, 2021, 04:03:06 pm »
Got my Tek RG501 TM500 module Ramp Generator almost all working good, seems like a dry solder joint had it running at double speed and half amplitude, after I replaced the Tek custom Miller Integrator chip that died, causing no output to start with...

Last thing to poke is the 10us adjustment, I can't seem to get quite to the point of being properly adjusted, so I think a little more capacitance is needed in the trimmer cap. Will have to make a trip to the parts shop as I don't have a trimmer of the correct value to try.
I'll have to first double check the parts in that part of the circuit too, make sure they are all within tolerance and no more dry solder joints......
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109923 on: December 30, 2021, 04:10:48 pm »
I will be putting in a low bid on this  TTi TF830.     

The TF830 is an 8-digit  1.3GHz counter / timer.   The  time base is a 1ppm crystal (ho hum)  but there is an external frequency standard input.    Mains or battery power 6  of C-cells!

Looks very clean.  I don't need it, but this is hard to pass up at the current price.     I'll stand aside if someone here is a TTi collector or needs this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324955698865

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #109924 on: December 30, 2021, 04:15:50 pm »
   Sometimes the cheap-cheapness of the daylight white LEDs works in your favor; they tend to be much cheaper as they aren't as popular, and wind up in cheap-cheap China-direct household schtuffs. Case in point; these stoopit integrated incandescent appliance bulbs commonly found in microwaves and range hoods. Cheapest way to get them is China-direct; ~$6 each with S-B-F-C shipping. You can get 2 for $10 off Amazon.

After replacing the mag in the convection/nuker below with a new LG part for $25, I really got annoyed at that price for a freaking light bulb. Over the years, I've replaced quite a few of these with the correct E17 or E12 base bulb-holder, usually scavenged from older appliances in the JUX pile.

Anyhoo... I had oodles of these dollar-store LED nightlights to place throughout the house so night-time navigation wouldn't be a death-trap. Four 0.1W LEDs with a bridge-rectifier and CC driver, all on a nice little PCB for a buck. And there was one already on the bench opened up to see if it would be horribly difficult to turn the brightness down a bit, as they are crazy bright to have in a bedroom with you. Also a wee bit towards the blue end of the spectrum, but this works well in dim hallways and here, to see your food clearly under adverse conditions of a looking through a nukebox door.

Well... after smashing the bulb, it was a simple matter to solder a couple bits of paper-clip legs to make this. Literally less time than I spent shopping for the correct part.  :palm:

mnem
*lit AF*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:27:39 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, factory, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf