Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17739394 times)

LorenzoDL, Cesar_D, marcumr and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109350 on: December 21, 2021, 11:09:37 am »
Such a wonderful R16 on the picture.

They were indeed great cars, well ahead of their time. A friend had a R16TX with automatic, aircon and leather seats. A dream.

Here: Beetle (4 weeks), Volvo 121 (68 HP, 3-speed automatic, accelerated like a wandering dune), 244GL, 264GL, 760GL, followed by various Opel estates.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109351 on: December 21, 2021, 11:11:31 am »

They were indeed great cars, well ahead of their time. A friend had a R16TX with automatic, aircon and leather seats. A dream.

Here: Beetle (4 weeks), Volvo 121 (68 HP, 3-speed automatic, accelerated like a wandering dune), 244GL, 264GL, 760GL, followed by various Opel estates.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109352 on: December 21, 2021, 11:17:12 am »
760GL, followed by various Opel estates.

Quite forgot the Volvo 480ES that came in between. Could write a book about that one alone...
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #109353 on: December 21, 2021, 11:19:42 am »
Another one from the popular series "Fun with exotic lightbulb sockets":

Such a wonderful R16 on the picture. My next-to-earliest memories are from R16 trips. We upgraded from R4 to R16 when I was perhaps 4 years old; and then a couple years later we went to Passaten, after which it was Volvo 245, 744, and then back to VW, this time Polo. By that time I'd moved away from my parent home, so didn't drive them that much. I learnt to drive in a 1982 Volvo 245.
My daughter has just sold her 1st car, a 1982 240 GL sedan in beige, to a brother of a friend who is a classic car nut. He is fixing her up - Winnie is her name 😁, Bought her for $700 - sold for $500 after 5yrs and 40,000km. The new owner is still going to call her Winnie 👍. My daughter has replaced Winnie with a Subaru Outback - summer is approaching here and working air-conditioning is pretty essential. My learn to drive car was a Humber Hawk - no power steering - got fit driving that beast!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #109354 on: December 21, 2021, 11:33:27 am »
all the posts about hp5245's last week motivated me.

spent some time over the weekend and tested a pile of display boards.  found that many of the boards in the junk box were ok.

also found many with faults.  so far have repaired 6 of them. 

one had worn out neons in the display matrix.  would have expected them to die one at a time, but they were all dim and flakey even though the current limiting resistors and voltages tested good.

one had a wonky photocell matrix (the one printed on ceramic substrate in the readout block assembly).

and four had the same symptom of counting ok but not outputing a good carry pulse to the next decimal counter assembly.  all were repaired by replacing a silver mica in the output flip flop.  weird because the damn caps all tested good.......and silver micas are supposed to last forever. (it took me a long time to find this fix in the first one.....and it worked like a charm in all the rest).

the real puzzle is that some of the display boards in the junk box are unknown to me, and apparently not used in the 5245 family. 

anyone know what a 5232L-4B or 5245-6001 is used in?  (guess they will make good organ donors for the boards i have documentation for)

I think my 5245L uses those 5232L-4B for digits 6 and 7. My right lower back decided to turn to pure pain last night, so you might have to wait a while for me to prove it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109355 on: December 21, 2021, 11:49:20 am »
I had a Renault 30TX for many years. Its the 2.7l V6 injection version of the R20 that replaced the R16. A great car. I did a lot of long distance driving back then and it just ate the miles on the motorway. It was my first Renault. Followed by an early R5 with dashboard gear stick, R6, R11 Turbo and two R21 Turbos. I did look at a late model Safrane estate a few years ago but was not impresssed. 
Edit The 30TX engine was the PRV design that was used in the Volvo 264 etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:52:11 am by Robert763 »

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109356 on: December 21, 2021, 11:57:07 am »
anyone know what a 5232L-4B or 5245-6001 is used in?  (guess they will make good organ donors for the boards i have documentation for)

I was correct and needn't have bothered risking further aggravation to my back; I already had pics...   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109357 on: December 21, 2021, 12:01:59 pm »
I manage to address exactly and only the short list of IKEA products I plan to check or buy when I visit IKEA every several years. And I have one at waking distance. IKEA market hall is dangerous only for women. :-)

I mean, nobody needs to buy new stuff all the time, except it's TE of course.  :-DD

A plate is a plate. And plates are pretty robust and stable items and you can use them quite a long time.

I bought an "IKEA starter set" of 6 dinner plates, 6 soup plates and some bowls a few years after school in the 80s. Some 30 years later one plate is crashed and missing, the others are doing there job. No need to get new ones.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109358 on: December 21, 2021, 12:24:13 pm »

I was correct and needn't have bothered risking further aggravation to my back; I already had pics...   :palm:

thanks!   good to know that they will work in the low speed slot of a 5245l.  will try them out there and see if mine are functional or belong in the repair pile.

edit....oh wait.  you said slot A16-17.   that would make them 5 Mhz boards?

edit 2  doh!  needed to look twice at the picture.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:28:43 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109359 on: December 21, 2021, 12:29:51 pm »
[...} I did look at a late model Safrane estate a few years ago but was not impresssed. 

I don't understand... I have currently a Renault Safrane, for 3 years now.. but there never was an Estate version and production stopped 20 years ago now anyhow so... I am confused ?!  :-//

Does Renault use the Safrane badge again today in some markets, for a current car model ?! Never heard of it. Sounds lame to me... it just can't be a Safrane of course, so why not just come up with whatever other name, that's strange. Just confusing for no good reason...  :-//

Any llnk to it ?? Anyway if it's modern can only be crap, but you picked my curiosity anyway !  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #109360 on: December 21, 2021, 12:42:08 pm »
Another one from the popular series "Fun with exotic lightbulb sockets":

...That's when we had a closer look at the boxes those bulbs came in. The stamps were quite faded but visible if you knew where to look: 24 Volt. Took them back to the shop. Got a refund and their sincere apologies. They had no idea we weren't buying them for our boat. Apparently, E27 was current aboard the local fishing fleet. But nowhere else.

These are still made and available to buy over here, and they still use a E26/A19 profile bulb in 6V/12V/24V. As the voltage is oddball, they are still often an incandescent bulb, and there is even a version of these rough-service bulbs (lots and lots of filament supports) in halogen. So many different flavors of FAIL! just waiting to happen...  :scared:

mnem
Oooooh..... dinner and a show.... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109361 on: December 21, 2021, 12:49:35 pm »
My learn to drive car was a Humber Hawk - no power steering - got fit driving that beast!

I had once a Peugeot 305 SRD "station wagon" with diesel engine of 9194 and a half cid.
Winter time it's engine temp dropped to half if traffic lights upped to red too early.
So missing power steering was sometimes a bonus.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:06:05 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109362 on: December 21, 2021, 12:51:18 pm »

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-D

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Here... you go just as fast as you can, and I'll time you with a calendar... >:D

mnem
I'll wager the car was made to match that well-known "Irish sense of urgency"... :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109363 on: December 21, 2021, 01:01:00 pm »
[...} I did look at a late model Safrane estate a few years ago but was not impresssed. 

I don't understand... I have currently a Renault Safrane, for 3 years now.. but there never was an Estate version and production stopped 20 years ago now anyhow so... I am confused ?!  :-//

Does Renault use the Safrane badge again today in some markets, for a current car model ?! Never heard of it. Sounds lame to me... it just can't be a Safrane of course, so why not just come up with whatever other name, that's strange. Just confusing for no good reason...  :-//

Any llnk to it ?? Anyway if it's modern can only be crap, but you picked my curiosity anyway !  :-//

The Renault Latitude is still called the Renault Safrane in some markets (specifically Mexico and middle east), althought the Latitude was based on the Laguna, not the Safrane??  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109364 on: December 21, 2021, 01:03:07 pm »

DOH Laguna not Safrane  :palm:

P.S they almost did an Safrane estate
https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-1994-renault-safrane-v6-turbo-ie-long-cours-no-reserve-2138-235
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:08:22 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109365 on: December 21, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »

@Vince
- I think he meant this hideous beast... V6, marketed as a "performance wagon" product.

What we in the colonies call a station wagon, the brits call an estate; it's a generic term, not a specific model name.

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:08:43 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109366 on: December 21, 2021, 02:02:49 pm »

@Vince
- I think he meant this hideous beast... V6, marketed as a "performance wagon" product.

What we in the colonies call a station wagon, the brits call an estate; it's a generic term, not a specific model name.

mnem
 :o

No, no, that is what we Brits call a camel's afterbirth. Not only does it have an ugly backside, it's also one with really sucky aerodynamics. Note the deep skirts added all around to try and compensate for the lift that back end is going to generate. Basically that car is a backwards aerofoil; the air flow at the back is going to stay attached almost to the bumper, at which point it is going to get very confused and wonder where it should all go.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109367 on: December 21, 2021, 02:23:07 pm »
Arrival today:
100 2CL75 16kV / 5mA HV rectifier diodes for ca. 14 Euro.
Took a while to get them here from Suomi.  :-+   ;)

@med6753: if you should need some, let me know. The same goes for everyone else here. :D

Edit:
Bought them here (NAWTS):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254505796198
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 02:31:35 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109368 on: December 21, 2021, 03:27:34 pm »
Started troubleshooting the Type 1A4 plug-in. It has an extensive internal PSU and since the plug-in is completely dead that would be a good place to start. Indeed. The +12.1V measures +1.5V. The -18V measures -11.8V. Kinda explains why it's dead.

Putting the 8060A to work and giving the 87 a break.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109369 on: December 21, 2021, 03:29:02 pm »

thanks!   good to know that they will work in the low speed slot of a 5245l.  will try them out there and see if mine are functional or belong in the repair pile.

He's right too (it's not for A17, that is the high speed counter board without display), I looked at the 5243L manual last night & already had the info saved for the later 5245L cards.

The 5243L only uses one 5232L-4B for A16, it does however describe it as the 2-MC (2MHz) decimal counter.

The older 5245L uses two 5232L-4B for A15 & A16, the manual upgrades it to a 5-MC (5MHz) decimal counter.   :blah:

As the label is missing from A16 in my 5243L I couldn't use the pictures to check.

David
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 03:34:35 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109370 on: December 21, 2021, 03:34:50 pm »

He's right too (it's not for A17, that is the high speed counter board without display), I looked at the 5243L manual last night & already had the info saved for the later 5245L cards.

The 5243L only uses one 5232L-4B for A16, it does however describe it as the 2-MC (2MHz) decimal counter.
The older 5245L uses two 5232L-4B for A15 & A16, the manual upgrades it to a  5-MC (5MHz) decimal counter.   :blah:

As the label is missing from A16 in my 5243L I couldn't use the pictures to check.

David

Ah, my bad, I gave the digit number instead of the card slot number.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109371 on: December 21, 2021, 04:04:40 pm »
This guy is very optimistic, prize-wise (NAWTS):

Multiscope Yaesu YO-901

What the heck is a "Multiscope"?

various multimeters, six units

various multimeters, ten units

various multimeters, fourteen units

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109372 on: December 21, 2021, 04:16:31 pm »

Multiscope Yaesu YO-901

<SNIP>

Actually that is cheap if you want one.
It's an accessory for an amateur radio trnsceiver. It's "multi" because it does RF output, modulation and "bandscope". The bandscope is like a panadaptor or spectrum analyser that shows activity on the band area tuned to. As it has X-Y mode it probably does radio teletype tuning as well.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109373 on: December 21, 2021, 04:17:03 pm »

Multiscope Yaesu YO-901

Left side. Can also be used as a transmitter monitor. Hence "multiscope".

Edit...Robert beat me to it.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109374 on: December 21, 2021, 04:23:37 pm »
Today was just a preliminary checkout of the Type 1A4. Don't have the time to dive into it deeper and probably won't until next week. But it confirms my suspicions. And I completely isolated the PSU and it still won't come up. The leaky capacitors probably took out a number of those transistors. And that TO-66 is looking real crusty. So follow up is to pull all the transistors and test them. 

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf