Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16918046 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109225 on: December 19, 2021, 06:53:55 pm »
Gaffer Tape Saves The World... again.   ;)

So wifey had a bit of a incident involving the ramp on the ToD; popped this section of the fender apart and one of the plastic pop-anchors was lost. Normally for this kind of screwup I'd just substitute a license-plate anchor and screw as that maintains the "no metal-to-painted-metal contact" intent of the original plastic pops (this reduces rust-out at key mounting points like this tab), but alas, I could not find any in the Bucket o' Bolts™ recovered during last night's unloading before Discord. :o

I did, however, find a generic fender-pop... but nothing suitable to use for a backing plate except this fender washer. A couple layers of Gaffer-tape later, and I'm pretty sanguine about this repair... we'll see how it holds up.

Of course, I'll get the correct bits on the way ASAP; but as we have only the one vehicle and kids who must be Christmas-shopped for... we're going to go with this for now. ;)

mnem
"Daddy fix it!!!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:55:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109226 on: December 19, 2021, 07:52:26 pm »

[emphasis mine] not quite true, you would have found this with a curve tracer too.  >:D

Do you know how many transistors are in that plug-in? That's only 1 of 2 fully populated boards. I would have had to pull them individually to test them.  :o :scared:

That don't sound like much fun to me.  :-DD

I did it when I was working on that 454. It's not that hard, other than making sure you keep track of which ones you removed.  :-DD
Except when you get it all back together, then find one transistor in the far corner of your bench... and it seems to work perfectly anyways...  :o

mnem
"Was that to this... or was it there already from something else...?" ???
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #109227 on: December 19, 2021, 08:46:16 pm »
back from my unloading trip north and one speeding ticket richer (or poorer, a matter of perspective).
Beware folks, the B3 in Marburg is mined.

Started loading for tomorrow's or Tuesday's moving trip, it will be another 2 tons or so.

Great joy.
Sooooo looking forward to it.
The Volvo even though absolutely promised for Saturday is still not ready. May the garage's owner's balls fester with gangrene and fall off.

Taking down the Ikea IVAR I have in my lab room and in the basement tomorrow. It will have to go up north with the rest of the stuff.
I have moving.
And Christmas.
couple of years ago in a company kiosk:
oh, bald steht das Christkind wieder vor der Tür
me:
Wenn es versucht, bei mir einzudringen, leg ich es um.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #109228 on: December 19, 2021, 09:06:52 pm »
Some of the last halogen lights at home bit the dust 5 minutes ago; as Wife and I was at the home improvement store (Not the architect/design school, dear aardvark!) I managed to remember that I'd actually remembered what LED lamps I needed to replace them, so found some with the right dispersion (36° and not 130° which the first ones we found were...), bought them, and now they're fitted. From 20W per lamp to 2,6W. Some improvement, close to 8 times.  With energy prices driving the most of inflation here right now (1 liter diesel fuel borders on 20SEK or ~2€ and the spot consumer prices for electricity have been up at 6SEK per KWh momentarily; I managed to secure a fixed rate, albeit a month too late... :scared: ) saving power is imperative. Now, I need to kill some more power in the machine room, and we should see results.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109229 on: December 19, 2021, 09:16:38 pm »
I swapped out most of my halogen or tungsten bulbs for LEDs a long time ago. It makes a tremendous impact on your energy bill and it will be about the first thing I do when settled in the new house.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109230 on: December 19, 2021, 09:17:22 pm »
directly followed by photovoltaics as soon as spare cash is at hand.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #109231 on: December 19, 2021, 09:51:20 pm »
Gaffer Tape Saves The World... again.   ;)

Heh, when we went to Italy and France 3 years ago, we were hit by a motorcycle as we were trying to turn around to correct for a misnavigation. The poor driver went straight into our front left wheel, dented the front fender, the hood, and pushed the entire aerodynamic front of the car off. (She was just bruised, nothing serious and Insurance deemed her at fault) So, we were standing in 40° summer, 20 meters from the Mediterranean, in Menton, 2400 km from home, with large bits of the car lying on the pavement. 

The wife talked to the police and the ambulance people, the children went for ice cream, and I dug out the tool kit, and the roll of soft steel wire, since all the original plastic pops had been sheared off and wired the front plastic nose part together and back onto the car. It worked and brought us home with no further incident.

Later, I did have to replace the steering joint on that side because it was a bit loose, and then get the suspension aligned.  I also replaced quite a lot of plastic structural parts under the skin, and worked my way through a big-pack of original plastic pops and a tube of superglue to get it together. When I was done, it was better than when I bought the car.. 

So, I now know how to do all that, and while knowledge is an easy cargo, this is something I'd rather not be quite so familiar with.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #109232 on: December 19, 2021, 10:20:09 pm »
I swapped out most of my halogen or tungsten bulbs for LEDs a long time ago. It makes a tremendous impact on your energy bill and it will be about the first thing I do when settled in the new house.

I swore off halogen bulbs for general use when I had one violently explode in a bathroom fixture at a prior house. Luckily no one was *in* the WC when it happened, because glass went everywhere:o :o :o

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109233 on: December 19, 2021, 10:27:51 pm »
had the same happen to me. one shard fell onto my mattress and started a fire.
Fortunately I was on call watching our ERP systems and did catch it immediately.

I resisted the urge to start a backfire and grabbed the fire extinguisher instead.
Not much happened, the damage was limited to an ugly hole in the mattress plus some clean up work.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #109234 on: December 19, 2021, 10:45:41 pm »
I've only experienced the halogens as short life span and very power hungry. Once you buy something sensible with LEDs they just keep on keeping on. IKEA is quite OK. Osram is yet to fail me. A number of no-names have been very much so-so. Buy quality, cry once, I say.

Then, of course, there are things that influence lamp life. A badly fitting socket, for instance. If the socket has high resistance the resulting heat will seriously shorten the bulb life. We had one of the dipped headlights on our V70 fail frequently. Turned out it was the socket. Once the socket was swapped, no problems anymore.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109235 on: December 19, 2021, 11:12:35 pm »

I swore off halogen bulbs for general use when I had one violently explode in a bathroom fixture at a prior house. Luckily no one was *in* the WC when it happened, because glass went everywhere:o :o :o

The better class of halogen lamps are more efficient but have consumer unfriendly envelopes. They run at much higher envelope temperatures and the faintest trace of grease can make them go pop. I used to use theatre lamps that required meticulous cleaning with industrial methylated spirit after installation just in case you'd carelessly  touched the envelope while fitting them. If you didn't they exploded quite violently when first turned on. It wasn't a 'pop' it was a proper full on 'B-A-N-G!' and quartz glass fragments flew a long way.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109236 on: December 19, 2021, 11:17:12 pm »

The better class of halogen lamps are more efficient but have consumer unfriendly envelopes. They run at much higher envelope temperatures and the faintest trace of grease can make them go pop. I used to use theatre lamps that required meticulous cleaning with industrial methylated spirit after installation just in case you'd carelessly  touched the envelope while fitting them. If you didn't they exploded quite violently when first turned on. It wasn't a 'pop' it was a proper full on 'B-A-N-G!' and quartz glass fragments flew a long way.

I am aware of that, but this one hadn't been touched. I don't know if you can still get them here, but this style had the halogen element sealed inside an incandescent style globe (purely for aesthetic reasons, exposed bulb bathroom fixture). It just exploded a few minutes after being turned off. Maybe too many heat cycles?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #109237 on: December 19, 2021, 11:27:01 pm »

Would be a decent BIN price, if it were one meter, and not put together from the remains of others...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133967798060

What makes you believe it's a Frankenmeter? There's nothing in the listing to that effect and the internal construction of the 34401A is pretty much unitary, there's a main board, a display/front panel board, a transformer and that's about it - not a lot to make a mix and match out of.

The display filter has it as an HP, but the red/black sockets and the later type serial number say Agilent. Being charitable, maybe the display filter on his nice Agilent 34401A got damaged, and an HP one was the best he could do to repair it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109238 on: December 20, 2021, 12:02:49 am »

Would be a decent BIN price, if it were one meter, and not put together from the remains of others...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133967798060

What makes you believe it's a Frankenmeter? There's nothing in the listing to that effect and the internal construction of the 34401A is pretty much unitary, there's a main board, a display/front panel board, a transformer and that's about it - not a lot to make a mix and match out of.

The display filter has it as an HP, but the red/black sockets and the later type serial number say Agilent. Being charitable, maybe the display filter on his nice Agilent 34401A got damaged, and an HP one was the best he could do to repair it.

I've seen other HP 34401As with red and black sockets, that's not conclusive proof of it being an Agilent version.  Here's one that's obviously HP (it says so) with red and black sockets:

The new style serial number preceded the Agilent spin out by quite some way - I've kit that was definately HP era with that style of serial number. I'd agree that the rear panel looks a bit too new style, but the 34401A went through a lot of revisions in its time so I couldn't rule out that they changed to that style before the Agilent spin-out.

In the style of a Scot's jury verdict I'd say: "Not proven".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109239 on: December 20, 2021, 12:55:37 am »
I've only experienced the halogens as short life span and very power hungry. Once you buy something sensible with LEDs they just keep on keeping on. IKEA is quite OK. Osram is yet to fail me. A number of no-names have been very much so-so. Buy quality, cry once, I say.

Then, of course, there are things that influence lamp life. A badly fitting socket, for instance. If the socket has high resistance the resulting heat will seriously shorten the bulb life. We had one of the dipped headlights on our V70 fail frequently. Turned out it was the socket. Once the socket was swapped, no problems anymore.
I dislike one thing about IKEA's lamps... their addiction to fuxxoring E17 base bulbs in every damned thing.  |O

They are loathed on this side of the pond like the clap or Hare Krishnas while on queue at the DMV; if you go into the local Homeowner Hell and ask for them, they'll look at you like you just sprouted horns. :o

So of course now you have to go to Amazon to get them; but even there the selection is weak, and usually poorly described... or you can go to IKEA (not only no but Hell no), or to one of the "boutique lighting stores" if you want same day.

mnem
*grump number 3227*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109240 on: December 20, 2021, 01:03:47 am »

I quite like halogen bulbs, and I make a habit of buying them when I come across them at the Thrift.

They make awesome dummy loads for DC-AF projects; as do the old-school projector bulbs.  >:D

mnem
 :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109241 on: December 20, 2021, 01:22:01 am »
back from my unloading trip north and one speeding ticket richer (or poorer, a matter of perspective).

Started loading for tomorrow's or Tuesday's moving trip, it will be another 2 tons or so.

Great joy.
The Volvo even though absolutely promised for Saturday is still not ready. May the garage's owner's balls fester with gangrene and fall off.

Taking down the Ikea IVAR I have in my lab room and in the basement tomorrow. It will have to go up north with the rest of the stuff.
I have moving.
And Christmas.
me:
Oh, my achin' tail-scales...

I managed to dig deep enough to actually see the forward bulkhead of the trailer today... SWMBO had placed a quest upon me, that I should find our Christmas tree and ornaments, etc.

After hoeing out to the point that I could lay a 2x10 across two stacks of oversized bins, I was able to locate and recover the 4 foot tree from when we had a apartment together, and by reaching across The Chasm of Unfathomable Cardboard Boxes with a baseball bat, was able to recover some of her classroom storage bins and pool-noodle percussion clubs. I felt like Indy hanging off the cliff by my fingernails on that one. ;)

that will have to serve for now... rescuing the classroom materiel should buy me a day or two of reprieve before I start sleeping in the doghouse.

Good luck on your move,

mnem
*toddles off to take some pillz*

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #109243 on: December 20, 2021, 02:23:51 am »
Well I never expected that there would be quite so many Bah Humbug its bleeding Christmas folk on here. What were you all like as a child, didn't you look forward to Christmas then either?

I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for the commercial aspect of it but the actual decorating, especially the tree and lights I've always enjoyed that part of it  :popcorn:
Same here. Christmas is for the children... let them have a few weeks a year when almost everyone is nice to them.

It's the one time of year people treat each other the way they should all the time.

Decorating is one of those family activities that makes treasured memories for your offspring. I get that some of us have already done that and shipped them off to make their own way in the world; that's when you shift into grandparents mode and it's all for the grandkids.

mnem
As always YMMV, Not absolutely EVERYONE, Yes horrible things happen this time of year too, etc... :o

Yes, Christmas is for the children.  Mrs. GreyWoolfe and I are on our second Christmas as empty nesters.  Doesn't change the fact that we love to decorate for the holidays.  We set up before Thanksgiving and will keep it up into the beginning of January.  We don't do a ton but what we do, we enjoy.  We also keep in mind for us, the reason for the season.

Charlie Brown: Isn’t there anyone, who knows what Christmas is all about?!

Linus: Sure Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about. Lights please?

And there were in the same country shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them! And they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, “Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ, the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.” And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the Heavenly Host praising God, and saying, “Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth peace, and good will toward men.

That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #109244 on: December 20, 2021, 02:28:22 am »
Please stop posting NIXIE shit, I am resisting for years to build my nixie clock... can't hold it further if you continue....

If you're going to build a clock, do it the TEA way. Overkill.

Looking at the clocks from Dalibor Farny there are a few misses in the design;
  • There is no precision offline timing input.
  • There is an online mode, but it is -- as is modern today -- full cloud and nothing else.

What I would want from a clock is:

• 10MHz and 1PPS inputs. Of course.
  • Sync to an NTP server of my choice, not some random ones.
  • Power over Ethernet and not only wifi. An Ethernet connection has much less packet delay variation (what salespeople call jitter) than wifi, which makes it inherently higher precision, and since there is need for a power cable anyway, might as well combine.
  • If we're going overboard, a IEEE1588-2008 capable network card and software would be nice. PTP on good hardware lets one get to 1µs offset from the GM with ease.
  • If we're going to PTP, I'd like to get the option of having an optical fibre connection too. This of course disables PoE, but the PDV on optical Gigabit Ethernet is better than electrical Ethernet because the forward error correction algorithm used for electrical is non-deterministic in time.
  • A serial port with a console UI or a web server would be nice, instead of the app nonsense. Of course it must run, and run well, on an isolated network! 

I give you all my money and you do it.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #109245 on: December 20, 2021, 02:34:52 am »

oh yes, I need to do the same for my '79 C10

PS: I love my US truck even more than my last car BMW F11 525xd!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109246 on: December 20, 2021, 02:57:44 am »

oh yes, I need to do the same for my '79 C10

PS: I love my US truck even more than my last car BMW F11 525xd!

Those are good trucks. Before GM went "el cheapo". Will last forever if you take care of it and don't live in the Rust Belt!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109247 on: December 20, 2021, 03:20:25 am »
Puh - I'm stuffed! A late night order from a local Spaniard yielded really really good food - Pork medaillons in red wine sauce with rice and a side salad - and I barely managed to eat half of it. Also quality was outstanding. Put some 'The Botanist' gin to work combating that stuffed feeling. ;D

TEA is sometimes a neverending story. The HP465 amplifier tested good but my FG504 is in dire need of TLC. Intermittent operation in about half of the switch positions over the total of switches. Ugh. A jewel in the device park as long as it runs, but not the nicest thing to work on. Well, it is luckily not the only function generator around. The other stuff shown is also already in and does not have problems.

Today I lost the bid for a Philips isolation amplifier, which would not only be nice to have, but which also comes with the linear +/-18V wall wart, which could operate both the amplifier AND my Philips 50MHz AC/DC current clamp. Dang!

Otherwise I characterised an interface cable for R, L, and C (for work); amended some MTBF predictions (for work too); and read two Osprey Publications volumes recently snurched. Why is that weekend already over?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #109248 on: December 20, 2021, 03:22:22 am »
Those are good trucks. Before GM went "el cheapo". Will last forever if you take care of it and don't live in the Rust Belt!

Just downloaded the service manual. What a dream!
To me it now doubles the value!

Good documentation makes me so so happy!

PS: one day when the engine dies.... convert to EV  >:D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:32:44 am by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109249 on: December 20, 2021, 03:32:35 am »

Great joy.

I have moving.
And Christmas.
me:
Oh, my achin' tail-scales...

I managed to dig deep enough to actually see the forward bulkhead of the trailer today... SWMBO had placed a quest upon me, that I should find our Christmas tree and ornaments, etc.

After hoeing out to the point that I could lay a 2x10 across two stacks of oversized bins, I was able to locate and recover the 4 foot tree from when we had a apartment together, and by reaching across The Chasm of Unfathomable Cardboard Boxes with a baseball bat, was able to recover some of her classroom storage bins and pool-noodle percussion clubs. I felt like Indy hanging off the cliff by my fingernails on that one. ;)

that will have to serve for now... rescuing the classroom materiel should buy me a day or two of reprieve before I start sleeping in the doghouse.

Good luck on your move,

mnem
*toddles off to take some pillz*
When the seasons ho-ho-hoeing
Is done by scaly beasts
The elves are a-fleeing
To get away ungreased

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf