Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16924044 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109150 on: December 18, 2021, 03:01:05 pm »

Yebbut... When you use that one, you can't count higher than 10 widdout taking off your shoes...  :-DD

I can. Considerably higher. To 32 using one hand, actually.
There are 10 kinds of people out there; those who get binary and those who don't...

mnem
...and occasionally, those who get a chair smashed across their teeth for being a wiseass-dwagon about it. ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:41:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109151 on: December 18, 2021, 03:11:41 pm »
So... nothing that can't be sorted with a brick under the table full of SMPS and Arduino then...?    >:D

I'd be seriously impressed if an Arduino could do IEEE1588-2008 with some kind of precision. Methinks that at least BeagleBone Black or similar hardware would be required, plus an external OXCO.  Your system clock precision will govern how good you can handle time, even when influenced by external clocking.  Keep in mind that PTP is a Gauss curve system; that is, there is eventual, albeit good, clock frequency consistency, but only as a consequence of several consecutive adjustments. If your local clock runs awry between the adjustments, nothing can save you.  And, PTP does of course run on, but does not like, 100Mbit Ethernet. 1Gbit Ethernet is lots better. 10 times better, actually. :-DD.

LOL...  :-DD   I actually considered saying QT-PY * just to put it in the realm of possibility, but that would not be nearly as inflammatory as coming in here and dropping the A-bomb.    >:D

mnem

* SAMD21 on a micro breakout board

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:17:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109152 on: December 18, 2021, 03:28:50 pm »
Todays fun with TE: Temperature logging, the hardware side:
Starting with the less related (but still needed) stuff, here we the mighty database server:
(Yes it's the credit-card sized thing with the blue cable)

running the time series database (QuestDB) and the "observability platform" (Grafana) on an OrangePi
(the once cheaper and more powerfull asian nephew to the RaspberryPi) with a whopping 128GB of SD card storage.
It's mostly idle but using ~60% of its 1GB of ram.
Onto greener pastures, this mess of cables should allow logging without blocking the whole desk:

We have in red the temperature chamber itself, in blue the chinese TCB-NE peltier element controller.
(at first ~100€ seems steep, but "the next best thing" is ~500€  :wtf:)
It is supplied with 13.3V from a SMPS (orange), but it is a (clever but simple) buck-based topology anyway.
The DUT (a voltage reference) is supplied by a linear supply (green) and finally measured by the DMM (light blue).
The whole shebang is run by a python script on a 13" Thinkpad to the left.
I'll post a photo of that, once the script is out of the initial "soak and stabilize" phase and
we can see some status messages regarding the ramping.
Finally here is the data collected so far:

Green trace - DUT voltage drift while equalizing its temperature to the chamber.
The yellow trace - temperature of the chamber wall reported by the peltier controller gizmo -
is nicely wiggeling around +-1LSB, give or take. The autoscaling should behave much better once the ramping has started.
The cable runs are not optimal (not enough space between power and measurement side for my liking), but it is what it is for now.
Also, the cooling fan on the peltier is emphasizing the need for future migration...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:32:46 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109153 on: December 18, 2021, 03:40:08 pm »
Oh, mnem's got all his goodies again....stand well clear everyone !  :scared:
Yes, it should be interesting to see what results when I merge this:

With this:

mnem

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109154 on: December 18, 2021, 03:48:17 pm »
Meh, this counter is even older.       :P :P
Yebbut... When you use that one, you can't count higher than 10 widdout taking off your shoes...  :-DD

mnem

Or paints  :-DD
So you're saying med paints his toenails, and that's why he doesn't want to take his shoes off...? :-DD   

mnem
It is fun picking on him when he isn't here to defend himself, but I think maybe I should stop now... >:D

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109155 on: December 18, 2021, 04:40:07 pm »
The HP arrived from italy.. oven is very off, but on external it functions, the Freq.Converter plugin also needs fixing.
but glad the counter itself works.

How much is it off by and did you leave it time to warm up?
Also be interesting to find out what the bodge board is for.

David
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 04:41:48 pm by factory »

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109156 on: December 18, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »
The HP arrived from italy.. oven is very off, but on external it functions, the Freq.Converter plugin also needs fixing.

David
Is it just me, or does that look like there is (among other things) a crystal and a trimmer cap on there?
Somehow like.. someone put a replacement oscillator in?

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109157 on: December 18, 2021, 05:01:55 pm »

N#@%s? Pah!

This is a proper counter...

The first counter I ever used was an HP 524.  ~1978?  I haven't seen one since.   Took me a while to find a decent image.

Might help if I took the pictures of mine off the phone.  :palm:

Then you need one of these & the appropriate plug-in to use it.

David
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:08:49 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, syau, duckduck, BILLPOD

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109158 on: December 18, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »

David
Is it just me, or does that look like there is (among other things) a crystal and a trimmer cap on there?
Somehow like.. someone put a replacement oscillator in?

That's what I commented when it was posted last week.

Also beware of the 115Vac connections, for the crystal ovens fast warm up heater.

Same as in the 105A/B

David

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109159 on: December 18, 2021, 05:11:39 pm »
Old counter without Nixie-tubes?

I'm much tempted to say 'it is on' and go searching for my kit of transfluxors. But the blasted work schedule is saying different.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109160 on: December 18, 2021, 05:33:38 pm »
Meh, this counter is even older.       :P :P

mnem

Or paints  :-DD
So you're saying med paints his toenails, and that's why he doesn't want to take his shoes off...? :-DD   

mnem
It is fun picking on him when he isn't here to defend himself, but I think maybe I should stop now... >:D
Yep, a nice shade of Tek Blue  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109161 on: December 18, 2021, 05:51:49 pm »
I think he ment PANTS

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109162 on: December 18, 2021, 05:57:20 pm »
Anyone want a yellow Fluke?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165240134859
No bids on previous listing at £30

I already have a yellow Fluke 23. Have to clean the rubber bumper again.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109163 on: December 18, 2021, 06:34:02 pm »
I think he ment PANTS

I know, but he can still use that Tek coloured paint if he wants to  ;D  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109164 on: December 18, 2021, 06:34:09 pm »

N#@%s? Pah!

This is a proper counter...

The first counter I ever used was an HP 524.  ~1978?  I haven't seen one since.   Took me a while to find a decent image.

Might help if I took the pictures of mine off the phone.  :palm:

wow.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109165 on: December 18, 2021, 07:11:52 pm »
I think he ment PANTS

I know, but he can still use that Tek coloured paint if he wants to  ;D  :-DD :-DD

Something like THIS...?

mnem
 >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109166 on: December 18, 2021, 07:21:23 pm »
Figures... a week of nice, cool, dry weather; and now that I have the trailer here and unlocked, rain all 🦆ing day...

mnem
Guess I'll just hang out in here all day...  >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #109167 on: December 18, 2021, 07:50:20 pm »
Figures... a week of nice, cool, dry weather; and now that I have the trailer here and unlocked, rain all 🦆ing day...

mnem
Guess I'll just hang out in here all day...  >:D
No chance of bribing junior Dwagon to hold the umbrella ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109168 on: December 18, 2021, 08:08:53 pm »
Naaah... he's the muscle on this caper. Not much use if his hands are full. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to shoot some pics*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109169 on: December 18, 2021, 08:12:30 pm »
I think he ment PANTS

Something like THIS...?

mnem
 >:D
Naughty naughty devil you  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109170 on: December 18, 2021, 08:29:46 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Kit-Temperature-Desoldering-Electronics/dp/B07XKZVG8Z/

Fuck me... I just spent $10 on this POS because I need it ASAP to fix a thermostat, and available for same-day delivery. So far, I've prolly spent ~$100 on cheap tools "to get me by" or "to get a job done" since we left Cleveland. I guess that's really not that bad...    :o

mnem
 :-/O

So... they sent me the wrong kit. This one doesn't have the worthless screwdrivers/wire stripper, or the consumables... but it has the digital version iron with sleep, a better assortment of 900M series tips, and a nice little case. I'm not going to bitch.  :-DD

I used it to to fix that thermostat battery terminal the other day and yesterday to put a battery pigtail on my cheap-arse Dremel, so definitely needed it... and really, not a bad little iron overall. Definitely decent quick heatup time of ~12 seconds on 120VAC; supposedly also 220V capable. Sleep timer ~5minutes, and based on melt temp of the included ~45g of 63/37 solder, temp is a few degrees cold but still perfectly serviceable. If it really bothered me, I'd re-cal it per the included destructions.

The cord is kindof crappy but not too crappy; 0.75mm x 2 with smooth Pliovic outer sheathing, so halfway decent flexible, tho of course nothing like a proper silicone whip cord on a good iron. No idea how long it'll take before it turns stiff and brittle; that's always a crapshoot with cheap Chinese cords.

All in all, I don't regret the purchase; this will become my toolbag iron and I'll throw some decent strippers, flush cutters and stats in the case...  maybe a flashlight and other soldering aids as well. :-+

mnem
*toddling off to Discord*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109171 on: December 18, 2021, 08:45:11 pm »

Well, the third turd in my day of "everything coming up shit" manifested in the form of... I forgot which locks I put on the trailer, and brought the wrong ring of keys with us from the storage unit in Cleveland.   :palm:

Fortunately, I bought this little toy Dremel when I got my cheap-arse drill; mostly because it was only $8 as I was passing by. Do you suppose somewhere in the back of my poor addled brain, some part of me knew I was going to need it...? ???

Anyhoo... After about a hour of "grind... grind... grind..." for about 5 minutes, then go inside, split the shell and cool the motor under running water then grind, rinse, repeat... I finally had both locks off and:

I suspect you may have worked too hard. There was an easier way:

I'm sure that isn't exactly the same lock, but it does have the same underlying mechanism as your locks.

About 90% of the locks on the market (probably 95% of padlocks) offer zero actual security and can be non-destructively opened in 1 to 30 seconds by someone with the right tools (that would fit in a single pocket), a little knowledge  and zero skill without resorting to the extent of using single pin picking like the LockPickingLawyer does in that video (which took him 28 seconds) - i.e. insert tool, jiggle as appropriate for that tool, open lock. If you're not the LPL, single pin picking like that would take 5-10 minutes for a neophyte who knew the technique but wasn't practiced, it really is that easy.

If one isn't already aware how little security the average lock provides then watching 20-30 of the LPL's videos will convince one that all that 'locking' of things one has done in one's life was really just a theatre performance designed to convince one, and other similarly ignorant folks, that some type of security had been applied.

True story - Once I was in the Student Union late at night on my own (I was locking up after tearing down after a gig). I needed cigarettes but didn't have change for the machine or anywhere to get it. So, I picked the lock on the cigarette machine, took a packet of cigarettes, left a £5 note in the coin bin, took the correct change out of the coin bin and locked the machine up again. I meant to go and find Henry (who ran the Union shop and ran the cigarette machines) on the next day and tell him what I'd done and offer some security advice. As it happened I went down with the flu that night and wasn't around for the next few days. Henry however had taken the hint and I was pleased to see that the machines had acquired additional decent padlocks and hasps by the time I was back in circulation. I would love to have seen Henry's face when he found paper money in the machine, that the stock and money all balanced out, and figured out that he'd been the 'victim' of an honest burglar.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Vince, mnementh, Mortymore, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109172 on: December 18, 2021, 08:56:15 pm »

I can. Considerably higher. To 32 using one hand, actually.

Just tried. It gets really hard (right handed) at 8.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #109173 on: December 18, 2021, 09:06:52 pm »
There are 10 kinds of people out there; those who get binary and those who don't...[/color][/i]

Actually there's only two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #109174 on: December 18, 2021, 09:13:09 pm »
The jokes aren't any better on Discord, unfortunately...   ::)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf