Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16920231 times)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109075 on: December 16, 2021, 10:40:19 pm »

Med @med6753
The 547 has a plug in detection switch S673

Interesting.  I have the 547 Operation & Service manual which came with one of my two 547s.  I'm going to have to give it a good read over to get a better idea of how the 500 series are designed and operate before I dig into them and the 535.  That's assuming I ever get to them with my horrendous work schedule and the exhaustion associated with it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109076 on: December 16, 2021, 10:45:36 pm »

Med @med6753

Interesting.  I have the 547 Operation & Service manual which came with one of my two 547s.  I'm going to have to give it a good read over to get a better idea of how the 500 series are designed and operate before I dig into them and the 535.  That's assuming I ever get to them with my horrendous work schedule and the exhaustion associated with it.

No matter how much you read up on or play with it seems I'm always discovering something new on the 500 series.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #109077 on: December 17, 2021, 12:32:47 am »

Med @med6753

Holy shit, I never noticed that. Thanks!  :-+ The switch is way up high on the right. Pulled it out and now it works....with lots of noise on the signal but that's a don't care.

I was reading this exchange, and was going to say just that. You have to manipulate that switch to get it to work with the plug in not seated normally.  :-+

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #109078 on: December 17, 2021, 05:59:55 am »
I'm looking at a Philips PM2521.  Of course the probe is missing. How much of a hassle is it to bodge a probe together?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109079 on: December 17, 2021, 08:12:29 am »
I'm looking at a Philips PM2521.  Of course the probe is missing. How much of a hassle is it to bodge a probe together?

There is no probe supplied as standard with the PM2521. What one do you want?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109080 on: December 17, 2021, 08:14:37 am »
Hei Mans,

if you still looking for a nice frequency counter with Nixie tubes in it, have you considered to look for a Grundig one?
For every case: NAWTS

Grundig FZ-74

Grundig UZ 56

Not a Grundig, but an expensive HP 5245L

(has been suggested the other day as well)

Another HP machine: HP Timer-Counter 5326A

No power up pictures, so this one smells a bit fishy...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 09:56:06 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Peter_O

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109081 on: December 17, 2021, 09:40:42 am »
I'm not sure if I should thank you for that last post ....

EUR 20,99    Großbritannien   Standardversand (DHL Paket International)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109082 on: December 17, 2021, 09:43:40 am »
I'm not sure if I should thank you for that last post ....

EUR 20,99    Großbritannien   Standardversand (DHL Paket International)

>:D :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109083 on: December 17, 2021, 09:43:51 am »

Not a Grundig, but an expensive HP 5245L

(has been suggested the other day as well)

Keine Garantie, keine Rücknahme.    WHAT???

599 EUR   with no guarantee and no returns?   Nein danke.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109084 on: December 17, 2021, 10:13:46 am »
Keine Garantie, keine Rücknahme.    WHAT???

The seller is located in Germany and according to our German Fernabsatzgesetz (online sales act) consumers have the right to return everything they buy online, no questions asked. Also, German law calls for a warranty of two years.

It is not quite clear if this only applies to professional dealers or if private individuals can make a deal excluding these provisions. So, the sellers on ebay state that they are private sellers, not dealers, and claim the law doesn't apply to them.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #109085 on: December 17, 2021, 12:34:36 pm »
Not a Grundig, but an expensive HP 5245L      (has been suggested the other day as well)
Keine Garantie, keine Rücknahme.   WHAT???   599 EUR with no guarantee and no returns?   Nein danke.
Drug deal listing. Insurance scam listing. High on crack listing. Take your pick...

mnem
Maybe all of the above... :o
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:37:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #109086 on: December 17, 2021, 12:40:37 pm »
Bloody typical...  I probulate the HP 5245L in an effort to establish the extent of repairs needed (three low frequency display modules, shotgun PSU recap), and realise I don't have a sig-gen with a high enough frequency output to test the plug-in (300MHz-3GHz, my sig-gen goes to 25MHz) so now I need to find a faster one!

When I find the rabbits that keep digging these damn holes, I'm gonna make me a pie...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109087 on: December 17, 2021, 12:57:49 pm »
Bloody typical...  I probulate the HP 5245L in an effort to establish the extent of repairs needed (three low frequency display modules, shotgun PSU recap), and realise I don't have a sig-gen with a high enough frequency output to test the plug-in (300MHz-3GHz, my sig-gen goes to 25MHz) so now I need to find a faster one!

When I find the rabbits that keep digging these damn holes, I'm gonna make me a pie...

You mean something like this (NAWTS)?

E4421B

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #109088 on: December 17, 2021, 01:04:41 pm »
Hei Mans,

if you still looking for a nice frequency county with Nixie tubes in it, have you considered to look for a Grundig one?
For every case: NAWTS

Thanks!

If it were for only the Nixies, I'm already good there; I've got a 5221A just to get me some wandering digits. What I'm looking for is a many-digits counter; that will display to 1/100Hz at 10Mhz.  If it does 1/10 and has Nixies I'll be OK with that. I've already got a TTi counter, the 830, that goes enough down in the decimals.  So, my demands are a bit more complex.

The hunt goes on.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109089 on: December 17, 2021, 01:19:12 pm »

Jeezus H. Christ a-punchin'-me-inna-ballsack... I do NOT need this shit right now.   

mnem
where the 🦆 are my tweezers...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:24:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109090 on: December 17, 2021, 01:43:19 pm »

E4421B

Yes, except for a very small fraction of the price   :rant:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109091 on: December 17, 2021, 02:10:12 pm »

E4421B

For the entry level, more like this (NAWTS):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224100457749
or this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284513161840
Second one has a better display, seems like both can sweep? Both are based on the same IC and the output is not sinusoidal (= it has harmonics almost as strong as the fundamental).
Not a problem if you just want to test a counter though...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:13:04 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109092 on: December 17, 2021, 02:13:33 pm »

FUCKING SERIOUSLY?!?    :palm:

I'm going back to bed.

mnem
Fuck that ToD; I need... I need... aw, Hell. I need something... even if I don't know what it is...  :o
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:15:13 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109093 on: December 17, 2021, 02:43:21 pm »
Today arrival: a new display for my Fluke 8845A

In this thread it is said, that the Noritake Itron VFD Module, 256x64 Dot Graphic display can be used in the 8845 / 8846.

TME had six modules GU256x64D-7000 ready for delivery, so I ordered one.

I'm planning over the holidays to replace the VFD of my second 34401A and replacing the VFD of the 8845A.

Will report here.

Backside of the module:

Frontside of the module:

Packaging was excellent.  :-+

Edit:
Confused front- and backside...  :palm: - fixed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 03:21:54 pm by BU508A »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #109094 on: December 17, 2021, 03:22:40 pm »

E4421B

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #109095 on: December 17, 2021, 03:27:49 pm »

E4421B

or this
Second one has a better display, seems like both can sweep? Both are based on the same IC and the output is not sinusoidal (= it has harmonics almost as strong as the fundamental).

I've been seriously tempted by the generators TSP used in his make-5245L-expensive vlog, from ERA Instruments. Probably lots and then some better than the chinesium-without-chassis.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109096 on: December 17, 2021, 03:37:01 pm »

or this

I've been seriously tempted by the generators TSP used in his make-5245L-expensive vlog, from ERA Instruments. Probably lots and then some better than the chinesium-without-chassis.
Better for sure! But at roughly 10x the price, still. I'd prefer it to a boat anchor on space alone.
But it is overkill, to just test if your counter goes up in frequency. Not so much overkill anymore if you can think of other uses...

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109097 on: December 17, 2021, 03:48:19 pm »
Thank you ch_scr for the sensible suggestions.

In more HP 5245L news, I now have a stable +20V rail. The method of repair? Remove the three faulty low frequency counter/display units...
In consequence, the shotgun replacement of psu caps has been cancelled.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109098 on: December 17, 2021, 04:05:47 pm »

E4421B

I don't see anything like this in your ebay shop at the moment? In any case I expect HMRC would make the importation of even a reasonably priced piece of TE prohibitively expensive, unless you mis-labelled it as "marketing merchandise" or somesuch nonsense.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #109099 on: December 17, 2021, 04:17:48 pm »
Eh, well, don't always manage to put it all online.  ^-^

I have an IFR2025 with some minor damage (but fully functional). I also have a Marconi/IFR 6200B (which includes a 20GHz SG) if you want to go completely nuts.

HMRC: well, recent experiences have been mixed. Firstly, they charge VAT but on my end I don't have to so that ballances out. DPD has two delivery modes: very reasonable (think something like 25£ I think) in terms of fees or utterly useless (think: package returned without explanation or delivery attempt). Bpost/Royal Mail is probably more reliable and will also cost your a few tenners in fees but will be far slower.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf