Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17736082 times)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #109025 on: December 15, 2021, 09:26:32 pm »
RE: PROPER PACKAGING

I believe that for most single items of TE, the way AllTest packages is likely the closest to perfect you are going to get. That is one of the reasons I'm a repeat customer, even after finding that they do sometimes do the "bulk listing" thing where your exact item may not be what is shown.

...Just like Oakley sez:  "Thermonuclear Protection."  8)

Shipped Priority, new carton (NOT recycled), H-Taped top & bottom. Not only H-Taped, but stapled AND double-walled carton. Inside that, the good ol' "Spray-foam Cube of Goodness". Inside THAT, my little pink bundle of joy. And not just a pink wrapper... but a pink anti-static coated bag.  And finally.... my DOA baby.  :-DD

It's pretty hard to pack better; clearly these are professionals who didn't cut corners getting my meter here intact. While I wish I could have saved a few dollars, I don't begrudge them a penny spent on shipping. That package would have survived even those guys who chuck it over the fence...  :box:  :-+

mnem
This is real life; of course there will be a test!
I also think that "All Test" have the best packing, I'm also a repeat customer of theirs, so thats +2 for their method of packing if you have the capability I don't think it can be beaten.

Instapak foam in a bag? https://www.lpsind.com/shipping-materials/instapak-quick/

Learning to use the expanding liquid foam packaging system takes just minutes. It’s extremely space-efficient, with the equivalent of a room full of packaging in a single carton. Even better, it’s economical and environmentally sensitive.
1. Remove the bag from the Instapak® Quick™ warmer, unfold it and lay it on a flat surface.
2. Apply pressure to the “Press Here” area on the lower left side of the bag to open the inside seal.
3. Pat part “A” and part “B” back and forth and the bag will begin to expand.
4. Place the expanding foam filled bag in the shipping carton and nestle the product onto the cushion.
5. Place a second expanding foam-filled bag on top of the product and close the carton flaps.
6. The Instapak® Quick™ bag expands around the product and against the carton to form a top cushion.

Not cheap!

I would also agree that AllTest packaging is superior to anything I've seen but as tggzzz points out it is not cheap.

I've bought a couple of things from AllTest, one of my 3478As came from them for sure and I think one or two others as well, and I have to agree that their packaging is the best that I've ever seen from an eBay seller.  If I need something and they have it available, I'd purchase from them vs. an unknown seller just on the basis of knowing that it stands the best chance of surviving international shipment possible.  That as a known quantity is much preferable to the unknown after experiencing some packing jobs where I've opened the box and breathed a sigh of relief after making sure what was inside made it in one piece and still worked or, worse, the sinking feeling when you instinctively know what was inside didn't survive the trip before you even open the box:

It's also not very green.
The foam is useless for anything else and takes up a lot of space in landfill

I found that out the hard way.  The bin men on the recycling truck didn't take the expanding foam when it was in the blue box from one of these so I set it aside and brought it with me when I took a load of cardboard and styrofoam packaging from some furniture I bought to the community recycling centre, and the attendant there stopped me from throwing the expanding foam into the bin with the regular styrofoam.  He put it in the garbage instead.  I didn't realize it was really, truly not recyclable until then.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109026 on: December 15, 2021, 09:39:08 pm »
In my experience with 5340As, the custom Schmitt trigger IC on the A22 board (top right in the photo below) is a problem child.  It's bad on both of the ones I have.

Sort of like a Roach Motel, signals go in, but they don't get out...

-Pat

Guess I got lucky with the first one.

It needed a replacement slide switch contact, switches cleaning, the loose connectors tightening back up, all the missing screws fitting and a blank panel making to cover the hole where the I/O option had been removed.

Same updated front end.

Option card for I/O at the back of this picture, but the cable & connector board were long gone.

David
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:44:58 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #109027 on: December 15, 2021, 09:47:51 pm »
I need to dig mine (and the replacement board I got for it) out and continue troubleshooting one of these years.  Stumbled upon the board a few weeks ago when cleaning, then hid it away again.  It has probably vanished into the maelstrom once again.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109028 on: December 15, 2021, 10:24:35 pm »
Sprague Extra-Knackered x2 from the 5340A above.

David

Shocking. Sprague capacitors NEVER short out.  ::)

Trouble is I don't know the history, the rectifier might have failed first, then blew the fuse, maybe many larger size fuses got tried before they gave up, who knows.  :-//

And we occasionally had similar large can caps from Philips shorted in stuff at work.

David

Perhaps you didn't catch my sarcasm. When we are talking 45+ years or so ALL capacitors, including Sprague, are suspect. But we always get the story of this 60 year Spraque with ESR less than a new. Yep....OK.....watch it suddenly on a random power up spill it's guts.  |O     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109029 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:34 pm »
I need to dig mine (and the replacement board I got for it) out and continue troubleshooting one of these years.  Stumbled upon the board a few weeks ago when cleaning, then hid it away again.  It has probably vanished into the maelstrom once again.

-Pat

my 5340a was cheap because it was advertised as "won't count above 250 Mhz".  pictures showed it was in good cosmetic shape so i purchased it anyhow.

opened the box and found the starboard handle snapped off and rattling around in the bottom of the box.

did not hassle the seller because it counted to 18 Ghz!......and continues to do so ten years later.  stole a handle from a useless 8403a pulse modulator and was very happy.

guess all it really needed was a swift kick in the ass.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #109030 on: December 15, 2021, 11:53:04 pm »

-Pat

my 5340a was cheap because it was advertised as "won't count above 250 Mhz".  pictures showed it was in good cosmetic shape so i purchased it anyhow.

opened the box and found the starboard handle snapped off and rattling around in the bottom of the box.

did not hassle the seller because it counted to 18 Ghz!......and continues to do so ten years later.  stole a handle from a useless 8403a pulse modulator and was very happy.

Percussive maintenance FTW!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #109031 on: December 16, 2021, 01:20:40 am »

-Pat

Percussive maintenance FTW!

-Pat

That and a BFH is sometimes all you need.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #109032 on: December 16, 2021, 01:45:34 am »
Next step: Widlarizer.   >:D

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #109033 on: December 16, 2021, 01:46:27 am »
Well, I got that Type 1A5. Good news is it is mostly in good shape electrically, save one crusty cap. Bad news is the gear mechanism for the A and B attenuator decks is busted. And that is buried deep inside. Got a decent refund from the seller. Likely this plug in will serve as a parts mule for another one later.  :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #109034 on: December 16, 2021, 03:51:44 am »
My post driver with its 340kg freefall hammer beats them all nearly......except for the neighbor's 3 tonne hammer on his 35t digger mounted 12m mast pole driver.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109035 on: December 16, 2021, 04:09:14 am »
My post driver with its 340kg freefall hammer beats them all nearly......except for the neighbor's 3 tonne hammer on his 35t digger mounted 12m mast pole driver.

The judicious application of plastic explosive beats all that for a proper, 100% irreversible, widlarization.  >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109036 on: December 16, 2021, 04:16:26 am »

The judicious application of plastic explosive beats all that for a proper, 100% irreversible, widlarization.  >:D
Hmmm, although not safe to be anywhere near.  :scared:

This has me thinking a wee demonstration could be worthwhile but just what old shagged instrument do I select.... >:D
The very sick HP1740 stashed on top of a locker might be a worthy candidate.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109037 on: December 16, 2021, 04:21:51 am »

This has me thinking a wee demonstration could be worthwhile but just what old shagged instrument do I select.... >:D
The very sick HP1740 stashed on top of a locker might be a worthy candidate.  :horse:

LOL, unless the crt is knackered take that out first!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #109038 on: December 16, 2021, 05:55:32 am »

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #109039 on: December 16, 2021, 06:25:48 am »
Well that certainly escalated quickly.

Anyone have a spare Death Star available for the ultimate revenge?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, 0culus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #109040 on: December 16, 2021, 09:04:02 am »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109041 on: December 16, 2021, 09:05:26 am »

Maybe not. A terrorist bomb maker in the UK was jailed because a section of PCB (IIRC it had a NE555 on it) recovered from bomb debris fitted neatly like a puzzle piece into the "donor" PCB which was still in his workshop. It's surprising how much of a device survives.
Nothng like a nice bit of physical evidence to convince a jury. I guess most of them start to glaze over when things like MALDI-TOF Mass Spectroscopy are mentioned. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109042 on: December 16, 2021, 09:16:03 am »
Had a look at the hp 5340A from the PP auction this afternoon, first thing I noticed was the lack of fuse fitted.

Inside it appears to have had the same upgrade as my other 5340A, two replacement front end pre-amplifiers, no options are present.

A closer look at the power supply section reveals some heat related delamination of the PCB under one of the rectifiers, checking the main smoothing caps and C2 & C4 are shorted, as is one of the small bridge rectifiers (but not the overheated one). Hopefully it's just the PSU that is faulty.

David

Welcome to the club, I have 3 of them : two with nixie display and one with led.

The first nixie one was not counting at all and I fixed a first board with a bad 74188 PROM chip.
After that it was counting but not over 300MHz and I was not able to find the source of the issue.
I bough the unit with led display which is perfectly working to help to fix the first one

Last week I managed to found the faulty parts: the board A12 (VCO)
Apparently the 2 A12 boards are bad, more digging need

The 3d unit has a more complex issue related to the input preamp amplifier assembly #2

The following users thanked this post: factory, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109043 on: December 16, 2021, 10:29:58 am »

I do have a Tek if you'd rather see that squashed.  :)
Or a couple of Phillips............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109044 on: December 16, 2021, 10:32:10 am »

The first nixie one was not counting at all and I fixed a first board with a bad 74188 PROM chip.

Did you program a NOS PROM or  swap in a PROM from another counter?

I'm building a DM8577 programmer.  The '8577 is pin compatible with the '188  but programs differently.    Real '188s are getting hard to find / expensive.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 10:33:43 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109045 on: December 16, 2021, 12:42:33 pm »
hey papa smurf

THANKS!

exactly the information i was looking for.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #109046 on: December 16, 2021, 12:43:20 pm »
...Then they got an Instapak system.  Line the box, squirt in the foam, put the cover sheet on, put the generator into the box, repeat the process for the top pad.  Total disaster - nearly every generator that came in had bent rack ears and was bouncing around in the box.  The thing was, the Instapak was fine for the top and bottom, where the mass of the generator was spread out over the large surface area, but failed miserably at the sides and corners.  Two things worked against it - the first being that the foam at its best wasn't up for the concentrated force applied when the mass of the generator was applied though the much smaller surface area of the sides, front and rear vs the top and bottom, and the second being that because the two halves of the foam pillows met roughly mid way up the side of the generator, there was incomplete fill at that area, further reducing the ability of the material to hold up to forces resulting from shipping.  We went from near 100% safe transport to damned near 100% needing body work upon arrival; the biggest thing being bent rack ears.  The rack ears were, of course, an extension of the front panel material rather than add-on pieces of extrusion, so if the panel was damaged beyond the point where I could straighten the ears without it looking too much like a dog's dinner, I'd need to swap in a replacement piece of sheet metal.  ROYAL PITA.  Despite my pleas, they continued to use that system.  Once I'd fixed the damaged generators, I'd squash down the foam at the sides and put an L shaped piece of Ethafoam in each corner (sort of like the OLD way) and they'd be fine.  If they'd have put Ethafoam Ls in with the Instapak at the factory, things would have been fine, but that never happened.  Horses for courses.

That said, I'll add my endorsement of AllTest knowing their way around packaging - in my experience, too, they have always done an excellent job of it.

-Pat
I'll have to say here I believe that yours was a problem which would be best resolved via changes in SOP rather than a fault in the InstaPack process; yes, I acknowledge you hinted at that already.  :-+ 

You say there were voids; that is the key fail. You have to devise a procedure wherein there are no voids; if this means a larger box and individual baggies of doom foam for the corners and sides, then that's what you have to do.

I've shipped very large, very heavy engine parts... heads, intake manifolds, even a SBC engine block, successfully using the old-school baggie and foam-nozzle system; I even replicated the process using shopping bags and Great Stuff canned insulation for a Holley carb I sold on the Bay of Evil.

The 2 key parts are making sure you use enough foam-baggies that there are no voids, and that you have a big enough double-walled carton so the foam doesn't bust the carton open as it expands. Ideally, you want it so the foam actually squeezes the product from that expansion.

As for the debate over the fundamental non-recyclability of the stuff... I agree it's a sore point. But you have to weigh the value of the precious cargo and getting it intact, and the effect your salvation thereof has overall against that bad Karma.  To a certain extent, I see it as a necessary evil.

It's all about the balance; and you have to draw the "First, do no harm..." line somewhere, otherwise you'd consider your part in supporting megacorporations like fleaBay, PayPal and its kin, your credit card company, the freight carrier and the fuel burned in transport... and so on, until you get to a point where all the weight of living in the modern world causes rigor mortis and you can't do anything.

Of curse, you could choose to spend some of your hard-earned money supporting anti-excessive-packaging PACs... maybe even introduce an agenda to make these materials out of biodegradable polymers, such that their toll on the environment is somewhat mitigated.  :-//

EDIT: As for the "it's not cheap" argument... DOING IT RIGHT NEVER IS.  ::)

All the time we spend griping about shite packing in here, and every one of those incidents could have been avoided by paying for the materials to do it right. The constant pressure we all put on vendors to eat shipping costs on large, heavy items is a large part of that cycle of failure.  :palm:

IME, this thermonuclear protection adds about $8-15 to the cost of the shipping; which cost is largely offset by their bulk-rate shipping via USPS Priority Mail. The 54645A and 2465B I was looking at each have total shipping of US$29 to me here; it jumps to $70 to ship it to Houston. Obviously, the shipping itself is the major part of that.

mnem
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:02:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109047 on: December 16, 2021, 12:52:37 pm »

Did you program a NOS PROM or  swap in a PROM from another counter?

I'm building a DM8577 programmer.  The '8577 is pin compatible with the '188  but programs differently.    Real '188s are getting hard to find / expensive.

I try to build a programmer but it was not working correctly and by lake of time I gave  up.
Fortunately I found a programmer collector who was owning a device capable  of programming the 74188

I got 3 chips programmed for free ... always nice to find people willing to help

BTW I was not able to find original 74188 and I used the Tesla MH74188.
You can usually found them on ebay for decent  prices.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:54:27 pm by psykok »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, factory, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109048 on: December 16, 2021, 01:29:01 pm »
Yes, but "disappeared into a fine powder" is all over too quickly; it doesn't have the same viscerally satisfying "example to us all" quality as being "squashed into a pancake" and the results displayed thereafter.

mnem
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:42:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109049 on: December 16, 2021, 01:34:59 pm »
...This has me thinking a wee demonstration could be worthwhile but just what old shagged instrument do I select.... >:D

I do have a Tek if you'd rather see that squashed.  :)
Or a couple of Phillips............
No, no, no... it should be a Telequipment D83. Because... reasons. >:D

mnem
*raises the last sip of his coffee to bd139; wherever the fuck you are, mate*
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 01:44:36 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf