Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17738072 times)

Gertjan and 94 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #108975 on: December 14, 2021, 07:55:49 pm »

One of these thi... no, wait, two of these... no, wait, THREE of these things don't belong... :palm:

Sadly, as it is a large-capacity SS cavity model from Kenmore with convection, this horror show is actually worth spending a little time on... |O

mnem
Fuck...now I really wish my 27 & probulators were handy rather than in storage 8 hours away...  :-\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108976 on: December 14, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »
US eBay    -  Seller claims to know nothing about these and will throw them away if not sold.   NATS (of course)

Dana 5900  DMM.  ($29)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194601698332

HP 5326A (dirty, only 1 photo)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194601656967

Seller has others. Some with absurd starting bids.

No shipping either. In Ohio somewhere. Too far (perhaps 10 hours one way)

Someone please outbid me on the HP, shouldn't be hard.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108977 on: December 14, 2021, 07:57:13 pm »

All all cases the small transformer is powered all the time when connected to the mains, the main 1A/2A fuse will not protect it if the oven circuit shorts in any way.

David

I can more or less confirm that. As soon as I plug in the 5248L the oven light comes on. Totally independent of the power on switch.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108978 on: December 14, 2021, 08:18:15 pm »
With the Nixie counters more or less all bought up I'm starting to look at the 5345A. Some people are just crazy:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/392307636193

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #108979 on: December 14, 2021, 08:43:09 pm »
emptied the bloody trailer, will need 2 or 3 additional tours to get my stuff over here.

Reassembled safe, bed, wardrobe. Then reprioritized.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Ice-Tea, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108980 on: December 14, 2021, 09:00:58 pm »
Hey, maybe the collective wisdom here will help me, to package securely some heavy stuff I want to use this tape/ribbon/stripe like in this picture, seem to be some resin impregnated fiber glass fabric, but is really solid:

Does anyone kow where to get it, including some machine to tighten it up, it seems to have some crimped little belt thingie ?

Thanks,
DC1MC

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108981 on: December 14, 2021, 09:06:43 pm »
Plastic strapping, needs banding tool something like these; https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/office-supplies/package-strapping-sealing-opening/banding-tools/

Note the strapping tends to cut through crappy thin card boxes.

David

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108982 on: December 14, 2021, 09:13:44 pm »
Found it at Amazon, the whole hit for much less with much more:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/anmas-power-Strapping-Tensioning-Polyproplyn/dp/B08HQPZ1ZS/

Thanks for the help, case closed, strapping was the missing term :)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108983 on: December 14, 2021, 09:17:09 pm »
You can get this style of buckle
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254154251941
They close as you pull the strap tight by hand. No tools required.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108984 on: December 14, 2021, 09:20:19 pm »

No, I can't: Doesn't post to Germany, but I like anyway the crimped ones better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vdp/1bc2ce89359f441984d66ba02c0badab?ref=dp_vse_ibvc0
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:22:54 pm by DC1MC »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108985 on: December 14, 2021, 09:24:25 pm »
Remember when I posted that doubleplusugly Russian multimeter and several of you jumped to it's defence? Turns out you were right.
There is even uglier, and it is FRENCH! (being at home in Aerospace and Defense, this does not come entirely unexpected)
Here it is - ugly like a Bréguet Alizé (or maybe even an Amiot 143):
https://www.ebay.de/itm/224739362352
Incroyable!
1349753-0
1349759-1
1349765-2

And it even has the original hp feet and tilt bail.  :-/O ;D

So does my little HP 465A amplifier. It rested two days and optical inspection found nothing untoward. It is warming up now and then I'll do a short test.

In unrelated news, I refilled the spare test leads (mainly giveaways, some short ones to use) and was much pleased by the two blue Zehnder crocodile clips, as those are rather rare and I prefer them to most others in this size.
And the mechanical measurements dpt. got upgraded too.
Also, I got a very cheap book about dekatrons and other combined counting and readout tubes. So if anyone needs information on them, feel free to ask.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108986 on: December 14, 2021, 09:27:18 pm »
Hey, maybe the collective wisdom here will help me, to package securely some heavy stuff I want to use this tape/ribbon/stripe like in this picture, seem to be some resin impregnated fiber glass fabric, but is really solid:

Does anyone kow where to get it, including some machine to tighten it up, it seems to have some crimped little belt thingie ?

Thanks,
DC1MC
I know them under the name 'Strapex'. Had to integrate a machine for this into a conveyor system once.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108987 on: December 14, 2021, 09:31:53 pm »

Does anyone know where to get it, including some machine to tighten it up, it seems to have some crimped little belt thingie ?

Thanks,
DC1MC
I know them under the name 'Strapex'. Had to integrate a machine for this into a conveyor system once.

I've found a manual kit on  >:D-bay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/222832907549?hash=item33e1e0551d:g:ogwAAOSwlFdafykp

Strapping was the missing term, I've had no clue how was this called until now.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108988 on: December 14, 2021, 09:33:09 pm »

One of these thi... no, wait, two of these... no, wait, THREE of these things don't belong... :palm:

Sadly, as it is a large-capacity SS cavity model from Kenmore with convection, this horror show is actually worth spending a little time on... |O

mnem
Fuck...now I really wish my 27 & probulators were handy rather than in storage 8 hours away...  :-\
When testing those while open, always orient them in the direction of the nearest FCC office!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108989 on: December 14, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »

Does anyone know where to get it, including some machine to tighten it up, it seems to have some crimped little belt thingie ?

Thanks,
DC1MC

I've found a manual kit on  >:D-bay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/222832907549?hash=item33e1e0551d:g:ogwAAOSwlFdafykp

EDIT: Holly rotating crap, EXPENSIVE stuff is this Strapex brand, probably high quality as well, but damn  :scared:, thanks God for cheap Chinese tools and TESA strap material.

MORE EDIT: I couldn't imagine how I wasn't able to find it immediately, the German name for it is very simple and obvious: Kunststoffumreifungsmaschine  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:40:37 pm by DC1MC »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108990 on: December 14, 2021, 09:39:42 pm »

No, I can't: Doesn't post to Germany, but I like anyway the crimped ones better.

Sorry for trying to help. That was just an example of the style. My German is not good enough to find you a local example.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108991 on: December 14, 2021, 09:43:30 pm »

Sorry for trying to help. That was just an example of the style. My German is not good enough to find you a local example.

Hmmh, how come, is very simple Kunststoffumreifungsmaschine, so close to the English word  :-DD, and I did thank you for the help, just like the crimped oned better, in the men time I've found the German manual kit as well.
So one mor time: thank you man  :clap:

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108992 on: December 14, 2021, 09:53:45 pm »
Plastic strapping, needs banding tool something like these; https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/office-supplies/package-strapping-sealing-opening/banding-tools/

Note the strapping tends to cut through crappy thin card boxes.

David

The Chinese have the solution for crappy thing cardboard boxes:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108993 on: December 14, 2021, 10:37:45 pm »

mnem
When testing those while open, always orient them in the direction of the nearest FCC office!
An amusing conceit, but...

:-DD

Transformer is getting mains full voltage when cycled on; it, HVD and HVCap all test good per TechSheet LV test procedures so has to be the magnetron.

Like I really needed to do all that testing to know the mag is toast; all I had to do was pull it and look here. If the gasket is discolored like that, it means all that energy is going where it doesn't belong; there's liquid spill stains in both the air circulation duct and all over the transformer, HVD & HV Cap. Pretty sure something messy blew up inside the oven cavity.

I'm going to have to clean all that best I can, then remove the mica sheet and make sure the inside of the waveguide is proper clean if I do bother to replace the mag rather than strip it out for bits & bobs.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:11:58 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108994 on: December 14, 2021, 10:49:38 pm »
use this as spare ?  :-DD

https://www.ostron.de/Radar-GHz/Bauelemente-bis-SHF/Magnetron-Impulsmagnetron-MI-512-oxid.html

amazing what kinda stuff you can find with google ...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:52:33 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108995 on: December 14, 2021, 11:01:34 pm »
for those wondering about that pinball - I need to reattach the cabling after putting it onto its legs.
It will need a full cabinet redo, however this has to wait until I am done moving.
If you look very closely at the other foto, you can spot several boxes of TEA.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108996 on: December 15, 2021, 12:10:19 am »
use this as spare ?  :-DD

https://www.ostron.de/Radar-GHz/Bauelemente-bis-SHF/Magnetron-Impulsmagnetron-MI-512-oxid.html

amazing what kinda stuff you can find with google ...
200KW...? Sure, what the hell; I've already spawned the next generation, it's not like I need my little swimmers... :-DD

In a alternate reality, tho... slAmazon has a new replacement 2M246 for $25 delivered in 2 days.  :o  I've already cleaned the cavity/waveguide, and serviced/reinstalled the mica sheet. Now to clean the HVT, HV Cap, etc and circulation fan.

mnem
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:23:20 am by mnementh »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #108997 on: December 15, 2021, 01:30:24 am »

Thanks,
DC1MC

EDIT: Holly rotating crap, EXPENSIVE stuff is this Strapex brand, probably high quality as well, but damn  :scared:, thanks God for cheap Chinese tools and TESA strap material.

MORE EDIT: I couldn't imagine how I wasn't able to find it immediately, the German name for it is very simple and obvious: Kunststoffumreifungsmaschine  :-DD
There's a good few different types of strapping, some shit quality strap and buckles yet the advantage with buckles is you can reuse them.
Generally you want buckles made of thicker wire otherwise they get pulled inside out when a reasonable strain is placed on them.
Strap too comes in several different grades and the cheapest is never the best and IME over several decades is heavy blue textured or heavy black smooth are the strongest.

But hey if your needs are not demanding rolls of packaging film are often quite sufficient for light duty packaging/strapping.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108998 on: December 15, 2021, 07:26:28 am »

But hey if your needs are not demanding rolls of packaging film are often quite sufficient for light duty packaging/strapping.

It all comes down to package weight, more or less.  One needs to support the contents in a way that transfers the stresses of freight to them in a way they can handle, and then when, having acquired that energy they try to break free of the corrugated cardboard, it must be strong enough to contain them.

The first part is about "interior decoration"; how you make the box cosy for the device and at the same time pad against moderately blunt force from outside.  Cosiness is intimately coupled to fit; which is why both pre-formed styrofoam (as can be seen in factory packaging) and the expanding foam between two plastic bags tactic works very well. The practice of using foam chips CAN work well, if there is enough of them, AND there is protection for protruding things like jacks or controls. But one must realise that the chips must interlock to create a passably rigid environment, or they're meaningless.

What one MUST do is to stop the contents and the packaging fighting each other. This becomes increasingly complicated as the mass of the contents increases.  The mechanism at play here is mostly deceleration; a loose item in the box (if too few chips, for instance) will accelerate inside the box, as a separate unit from the padding and box walls, and when it hits the stone floor of the Fragile Items department at the post office, first the box stops, then the contents stop, against the box and the few chips inside, smashing itself, the padding (as it were) and ultimately the box, to pieces. This is what seat belts and airbags prevent. When the car stops unplannedly, the humans inside are protected from crushing themselves against the interior by being tied down.

If you've hung on this far, we will now turn our attention to the "skin" of the packaging. This often is the corrugated cardboard box. Its rôle is to distribute loads and  hold the padding together, and protect it from abrasion. Further, it helps to create a manageable shape, including such things as handles. 

For most devices up to say about 25kg, if the box is good, and the interiors are well made, sealing by plastic or cloth-backed packaging tape and/or packaging film will do just fine, if done right (mostly a matter of "enough"). The bonus of using it, more so the film, is that they are wide and will distribute the holding force over a wider area. The straps will, as has already been noticed, sometimes cut the cardboard box and become increasingly meaningless. This means that straps may well necessitate a packaging upgrade to actually work.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #108999 on: December 15, 2021, 07:26:45 am »
For future reference: for all things packaging Raja is a good place to start:

https://www.rajapack.de

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf