Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16721121 times)

mankan, Robert763 and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107175 on: November 21, 2021, 10:46:01 am »
Med, at least one of them scope carts needs a dose of Krylon Gloss Bahama Sea.

Good scores.  :-+

I don't think either will need paint once I clean them up. My plan is to spray them down with a cleaner such as "Simple Green" then hose them off. Problem is at night temps are below freezing and aren't warming up too much during the day.
LOL of course I forgot you lot are just about to start freezing your gonads off whereas us downunder are about to start sweating like rapists !  :-DD
Yep, there's painting weather and NOT painting weather.

And any day now gonna wake up one morning to white stuff on the ground.  ;D
Do you mean snow or frost, we have already had frost in my neck of the woods.

Snow. We have a generous coating of frost every morning now. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107176 on: November 21, 2021, 10:53:41 am »
I've seen worse, like this "OCXO" in a Hung Chang F-1000 frequency counter from back in the days ...

It's not worse it's better ! At least yours has a metal can to actually enclose the heater and crystal to contain and spread the heat all around the crystal !
Mine is all in free air so to speak... so I don't think we can even call it an OCXO, for the 'O' stands for 'oven', which implies some sort of enclosure, a sealed container... so I guess mine is not worthy of the name OCXO, it's more like a TCXO, "temperature" controlled... but TCXO is already taken for temperature compensated so that won't do it... so we need a new name for this type of home made "(o)CXO"....
Anyway, even home made and with no can/enclosure, I guess it's still much better than zero temperature control at all, so can't complain...
Counter has only 7 digits anyway, so it does not need an ultra stable oscillator to begin with... I am sure what they did is more than adequate...

Granted, the schematics never pretended it was an "OCXO" to begin with ! I just reads "regulated temperature", no more. Nowhere does it imply that there is an oven/enclosure for their setup... it's only the seller who advertised it as an "OCXO" in the description, to try to get more money for it... or at least have a chance of selling it at all really. It's not like these old basic counters were selling like hot cakes...  ::)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:04:11 am by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107177 on: November 21, 2021, 12:08:44 pm »
Discussion about gun ownership and gun rights. Watch this TE thread implode in about 30 seconds to a party of one.

Can we please not have that here.

You just proved my point. If you allow one you allow all.

Don't be ridiculous, you know that logic doesn't work that way. That's the equivalent to saying "If you don't have a rule about X you don't have rules about anything". It's quite possible to have a margin of consideration for specmaster posting off topic pictures of military aircraft that are weapons of war while saying that the politics of gun ownership are off topic. Accepting one does not imply accepting the other.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107178 on: November 21, 2021, 12:20:01 pm »
Here is the Type 1A4 Four Channel plug-in. What a freaking mess. Looks like sawdust. I'm going to have to pull all the knobs to clean it up.

Luckily the inside is not bad. Just a little dusty which should brush out easily. And no corrosion.

But we have another problem. This crapacitor has crapped itself.  ::)

And so has that one behind the trimmer. Looks like I'm going to have to perform a total re-cap before applying power. Going to prepare a BOM and get order submitted.

I also got 3 of the 6 ordered NTE517 HV rectifiers to perform the SS HV conversion of my Type 547. The other 3 ordered are coming from a different location and should be here Monday. But I'm going to hold off for now until I fully access what issues I'm going to have with the other 2 Type 547's.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, Peter_O

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107179 on: November 21, 2021, 12:21:46 pm »
See notice on forward looking statements below.

I might have a line on a locally obtainable Boonton Model 42A Microwattmeter for $15.  8) Stock photo shown below.

200 kHz to (up to depending on the sensor) 12 GHz, -50 to +10 dBm

Will report on any further actions related to this notice.

Notice: forward-looking statements” regarding business strategies, market potential, future financial performance and other matters, including all statements with respect to the “balance of recovery” and “guidance” and statements with words such as “will,” “should,” “could,” “expects,” “potential,“ “estimates” or “projected.” Where, in any forward-looking statement, I express an expectation or belief as to future results or events, such expectation or belief is based on the current plans and expectations at the time of this post.

Although I believe that these statements are based on reasonable assumptions, they are subject to numerous factors, risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those indicated in such statements. Except as required by law, I undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect changed assumptions, the occurrence of anticipated or unanticipated events, new information or changes to future results over time or otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:25:14 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107180 on: November 21, 2021, 12:26:53 pm »
Discussion about gun ownership and gun rights. Watch this TE thread implode in about 30 seconds to a party of one.

Don't be ridiculous, you know that logic doesn't work that way. That's the equivalent to saying "If you don't have a rule about X you don't have rules about anything". It's quite possible to have a margin of consideration for specmaster posting off topic pictures of military aircraft that are weapons of war while saying that the politics of gun ownership are off topic. Accepting one does not imply accepting the other.

Wanna bet? Over here gun rights and politics are one in the same. But I'm not going to engage further with this discussion. You can rant and rave and jump up and down all you want and say it ridiculous but mark my words.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #107181 on: November 21, 2021, 12:35:46 pm »
packed around 20 boxes today, at least 10 more to follow.
while packing the missing pcb set for the scopetrex has resurfaced. It's still new in paper wrap.

@McBryce address please.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107182 on: November 21, 2021, 12:37:48 pm »
See notice on forward looking statements below.

I might have a line on a locally obtainable Boonton Model 42A Microwattmeter for $15.  8) Stock photo shown below.

200 kHz to (up to depending on the sensor) 12 GHz, -50 to +10 dBm

Will report on any further actions related to this notice.

Notice: forward-looking statements” regarding business strategies, market potential, future financial performance and other matters, including all statements with respect to the “balance of recovery” and “guidance” and statements with words such as “will,” “should,” “could,” “expects,” “potential,“ “estimates” or “projected.” Where, in any forward-looking statement, I express an expectation or belief as to future results or events, such expectation or belief is based on the current plans and expectations at the time of this post.

Although I believe that these statements are based on reasonable assumptions, they are subject to numerous factors, risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those indicated in such statements. Except as required by law, I undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect changed assumptions, the occurrence of anticipated or unanticipated events, new information or changes to future results over time or otherwise.

Wow the seller must be a lawyer not a TEA !  :-DD

I am not into RF and know squat about it (other than the rudiments I garner by watching The Signal Path channel ), but I find it impressive how such an old basic instrument can measure at such high frequencies, and over such wide dynamic range.

Trouble is, though, that you will not know if it reads correctly until you double check it with a 12+ GHz digital scope, and that's going to be much more expensive than the 15 bucks of the Boonton !!  ;D

EDIT : OK I got carried away... looks like this unit is just a readout, does not measure anything at 12GHz.... it's the external sensor you attach to it that does all the work !  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:38:04 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107183 on: November 21, 2021, 12:46:37 pm »
Dana 5100 DMM Update: 

I was looking over the 74188  data sheets again to check if I missed anything.   I've been mostly following the TI data book and occasionally looking at the NS databook.

TI specify setting the output to be programmed to a logic low or 0V.   All other inputs connected to 3.9k pullup resistors.

National specify something a little different.

Implementing the TI method is easy:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:56:08 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107184 on: November 21, 2021, 12:46:59 pm »

Wanna bet? Over here gun rights and politics are one in the same. But I'm not going to engage further with this discussion. You can rant and rave and jump up and down all you want and say it ridiculous but mark my words.
But, that is surely where one's own censorship rules come into play by simply ignoring that particular comment and moving on, it always takes at two to make a discussion and or an argument.

On the topic of warplanes which I post from time to time, I did ask before posting them if there was any interest in them and was assured that there was, so I post a few occasionally, but only a very few to prevent wearing the welcome out. On a typical trip out to an air show or RAF base, I can shoot well over 300 photos and the occasional video as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107185 on: November 21, 2021, 12:51:11 pm »
while packing the missing pcb set for the scopetrex has resurfaced. It's still new in paper wrap.

@McBryce address please.

Well done, I know how stressful moving is, but it also uncovers plenty of things such as the missing pcb set. Its as if these things run away and hide for the sheer hell of it, I've lost count of the number of times that I have ordered new parts etc, knowing full well that I already have the items somewhere  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107186 on: November 21, 2021, 12:56:27 pm »
In the garage again today. Anyone want some hard copy HP catalogs? Free for collection or postage at cost. 7 or 8 newest 1997 also 1991. I didn't dig deeper in the box.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107187 on: November 21, 2021, 12:57:58 pm »
Wow the seller must be a lawyer not a TEA !  :-DD

I am not into RF and know squat about it (other than the rudiments I garner by watching The Signal Path channel ), but I find it impressive how such an old basic instrument can measure at such high frequencies, and over such wide dynamic range.

I know the person who wants to sell it to me for what he paid. He just grabbed it at a ham flea market (hamfest) and he realizes that he has no need for it (i.e. doesn't know what to really use it for). He's just being nice which is cool but I'm very leery of it's condition - trust me on that.  :palm: The seller is 85 and doesn't know how to text a picture of it to me. A picture could could be worth a thousand words in this case. I'll have to go there and look at it.

Trouble is, though, that you will not know if it reads correctly until you double check it with a 12+ GHz digital scope, and that's going much more expensive than the 15 bucks of the Boonton !!  ;D

EDIT : OK I got carried away... looks like this unit is just a readout, does not measure anything at 12GHz.... it's the external sensor you attach to it that does all the work !  ;D

The sensor might work up to 12 GHz depending on the model, but most likely it's the 7 GHz model sensor. I have an Agilent 8648A that can generate power levels up to +13 dBm and way below the lowest range of the Boonton which is -50 dBm. I cannot though go higher than 1 GHz. It's scary what you can obtain at hamfests and whether the items work or not. Knowing a sensor with a max power input of 300 mW was in the hands of a local ham is troubling. The famous line is

"Does this _____ work?"

"Well, it did last time I used it."

:palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107188 on: November 21, 2021, 12:58:14 pm »
@Vince
How about a small cockpit UHF radio control panel with 5 minitrons for your clock?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107189 on: November 21, 2021, 01:31:22 pm »

You know full well that I'm referring to you saying "If you allow one you allow all." as a piece of non-logic. To describe that as ranting, or raving is equally ridiculous.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107190 on: November 21, 2021, 01:34:01 pm »

@McBryce address please.

You have my sympathies. It's so long since I had to move en masse that I've probably forgotten quite how much I hate it, and I remember hating it a lot.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107191 on: November 21, 2021, 01:38:00 pm »
On the topic of warplanes which I post from time to time, I did ask before posting them if there was any interest in them and was assured that there was, so I post a few occasionally, but only a very few to prevent wearing the welcome out. On a typical trip out to an air show or RAF base, I can shoot well over 300 photos and the occasional video as well.

Hey, nobody minds and it adds to the atmosphere. It was just an exemplar of something we're all happy with but that would be banned under the strict logic of "If you allow one you allow all.".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107192 on: November 21, 2021, 01:47:12 pm »

Hey, nobody minds and it adds to the atmosphere. It was just an exemplar of something we're all happy with but that would be banned under the strict logic of "If you allow one you allow all.".

Me being ridiculous? Ha, what a joke.  :palm:

Edit...I welcome spec's pix of aircraft just as much as anyone else.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:56:09 pm by med6753 »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107193 on: November 21, 2021, 01:56:51 pm »
@Vince
How about a small cockpit UHF radio control panel with 5 minitrons for your clock?

Hey that would do it ! Compact, and 5 digits is just what I need to put a separator between HH and MM, could display say in this format :

" 14H30 " or
" 14h30 " or
" 14 30 " or
" 14-30 " or
" 14_30 "
.. or something !  ;D

With just a little cosmetic restoration... would look cool.
Has enough knobs to let me set time and even implement alternate functions like date, or an egg timer or god knows what...
I would have a unique, custom and exotic piece of a clock for sure, nothing like the mundane dull blue backlit nixie clocks in a crappy hastily made wooden box, for sale everywhere... mine will be really special and cool, something that means business !  8)

.. and when I fiddle with the knobs I could imagine I am in the cockpit going through the take-off checklist !  8)

So how much is it, and how much would it cost to ship it to Frog land ? to hell with the customs... if really they want you to declare a value, just say it's worth zero, scrap metal or something, I don't know ?!  :-//

The first TEA-enabled Minitron clock, how about that !!!  ;D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:09:19 pm by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107194 on: November 21, 2021, 02:05:25 pm »
Me being ridiculous? Ha, what a joke.  :palm:

Have you finished throwing your toys out of your pram, or are we going to have to put up with this all week?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neper

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107195 on: November 21, 2021, 02:13:54 pm »
And here's the Type W plug-in. It's going to need the same cleaning as the Type 1A4. Also, going to have to read the manual and figure out it's uses. I currently have no clue.  :-//

Inside. Dusty. And a broken wire to that multi-turn pot. (The red and gray wire)

And missing 8416 tube. Ebay prices are insane. $50 USD and up. Finally figured out why. It's the 12.6V filament version of ECC88/6DJ8. Audiophools!  :palm: But a search found a vacuum tube seller who has them at a more reasonable $18 USD.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107196 on: November 21, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »
A bit of bodgery has been performed to enable testing of the hp 5221A, it's a bit a tinned copper wire wrapped around the two halves, similar to the more professional spring clamps that hold other two part heatsinks together.

The Peak ESR said the caps were OK and it all seems to work fine, ignoring the 60Hz mains reference issue.  :-X Not even a crystal in this one.

The Racal (sold as working) on the other hand appears to have problems, if left on for more than a few minutes it stops counting, I took some teardown pictures of that as something surprized me about it, more on that later.

David
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:21:16 pm by factory »

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107197 on: November 21, 2021, 02:42:00 pm »
And here's the Type W plug-in. It's going to need the same cleaning as the Type 1A4. Also, going to have to read the manual and figure out it's uses. I currently have no clue.  :-//
[...]
The "mode selector" switch seems to be the red labeled one in the lower center.
I'd say it's a dual channel plugin with an additional DC reference "Comparison Voltage" built in.
The modes relevant to that are "A-Vc" and "Vc-B". With that, you can check the precision of a DC supply
(by comparing it to the aptly named voltage provided by the plugin) and reading the difference
between the two in a low scale on the scope screen. Because it's a low scale, you can also see the ripple a lot better!
But of course you are not AC coupled like before, so you'll be able to see DC drift as well  8)
This should be a very nice addition and should provide usefull in troubleshooting and checking after recapping all the like.
Take note of the precision resistors and 10 turn potentiometer inside.  :popcorn:

Edit: A quick check with the service manual shows that it uses one 1N944 11.7V "Zero TC" Zener diode as reference.
These are specified as 9mV maximal absolute voltage shift over a temperature range of 0 to +75°C or 0.001%/°C
 :-DMM
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:59:09 pm by ch_scr »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #107198 on: November 21, 2021, 02:45:18 pm »
First one of these that I can remember seeing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175031008598

I thought it was a poorly described curve tracer at first, but no, it's a new (to me) plug-in.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #107199 on: November 21, 2021, 03:00:43 pm »

It's not worse it's better ! At least yours has a metal can to actually enclose the heater and crystal to contain and spread the heat all around the crystal !
Mine is all in free air so to speak... so I don't think we can even call it an OCXO, for the 'O' stands for 'oven', which implies some sort of enclosure, a sealed container... so I guess mine is not worthy of the name OCXO, it's more like a TCXO, "temperature" controlled... but TCXO is already taken for temperature compensated so that won't do it... so we need a new name for this type of home made "(o)CXO"....
Anyway, even home made and with no can/enclosure, I guess it's still much better than zero temperature control at all, so can't complain...
Counter has only 7 digits anyway, so it does not need an ultra stable oscillator to begin with... I am sure what they did is more than adequate...

Granted, the schematics never pretended it was an "OCXO" to begin with ! I just reads "regulated temperature", no more. Nowhere does it imply that there is an oven/enclosure for their setup... it's only the seller who advertised it as an "OCXO" in the description, to try to get more money for it... or at least have a chance of selling it at all really. It's not like these old basic counters were selling like hot cakes...  ::)

A block of carefully carved styrofoam will fix your (o)CXO up into more of an (O)CXO.   ;D :-/O

[EDIT]
Well f-me. I won it. 5500yen, plus shipping. With the price of front panels and stuff for these units, this one is a parts mule. Fingers crossed it has something interesting inside....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:05:35 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf