Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16722439 times)

factory and 98 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107100 on: November 20, 2021, 02:11:50 am »

Spent the day sorting through bins; found one of my adaptor kitboxes. $3 and nicely adaptive to different form factors of adaptor.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O

That box looks familiar!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:13:34 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107101 on: November 20, 2021, 02:23:32 am »
I found some Vishay SMD precision resistor on ebay. 0.01% 2ppm tempco max. They sell between 15$ and 35$ new on mouser.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Calibration-Resistor-Standards-Vishay-01-2ppm-SMD-Laser-Trimmed-Kit/124549960880

Seller is asking 15$ for 14 pieces (around 1$ each) but he accepted my offer at 10$.

I finally took some time to make a PCB and enclosure for the resistors.

The PCB screw on top of a 1590A Hammond box. The mounting holes are 1.09mm diameter. I used Mill-Max 3141-2-00-15-00-00-08-0 post.

I got 4 spare boards I'm not going to use. If someone is interested I could slip it in a envelope easily.

Gerber files are here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1328069
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:52:45 pm by Kosmic »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107102 on: November 20, 2021, 02:25:53 am »
Really nice project.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107103 on: November 20, 2021, 02:41:54 am »
Let's see what will be the crazy price for this "very precious" device:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224697429564

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #107104 on: November 20, 2021, 03:09:08 am »

Spent the day sorting through bins; found one of my adaptor kitboxes. $3 and nicely adaptive to different form factors of adaptor.  :-+

mnem

That box looks familiar!
Yup. Same one I brought to the Iron Rooster for show and tell. ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107105 on: November 20, 2021, 03:39:46 am »
also add the CBA-factor, your time (your life time is the only hard limited resource), the nuisance factor ...

In other news I received the keys to the new home and I am busy packing up my old life.

All the best for you, hubby, your daughter and your new home.

Btw, a friend of mine has sent me this a few days ago:

Q: Do you know, why at IKEA there are arrows on the floor?

A: Because it is a "Einrichtungshaus".

:-DD  ;D

(sorry for the english folks who didn't get it)   ;)

For those that don't know, I'll translate,

A: Because it is a "Furniture Store".

And yes, you're right, I still don't get it, I take it that there is a special German meaning to it?

OK, try this one:-

"Er hat ein paar Kängurus los im oberen Fahrerlager!!"

Or this one:-

"Er ist ein paar Blechbüchsen weniger als ein 'Sixpack' !"

Some shades of meaning are lost in the translation (certainly the "Google" one)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 03:45:12 am by vk6zgo »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107106 on: November 20, 2021, 04:14:08 am »
Good lord thank you ! I would rather slit my wrists than having to eat Marmite !  Just the smell of it is enough to provoke a coma !  :scared:

But we stole that word from somewhere.....   :-DD

David

Geez, BU must be right... I am English deep down by now... my brain never even thought that Marmite was also a valid French word... how comes ?!  :-//
I am a lost cause...

But I don't know how the Brits drifted from "cooking pot" to "ugly disgusting smelly puke-inducing controversial substance somehow declared legal for human consumption " ?   There is quite a gap to fill there... or maybe the first British grand-ma that made Marmite cooked it in a French Marmite/pot, didn't know how to call her "invention", lacked imagination, so just called it "the stuff I made in the Marmite "... which progressively was shortened for convenience to just "Marmite" ?! Something like that.... I don't know... and I am not sure I want to know... for fear of unveiling potentially an horrifying truth I might not be tough enough to handle.... though the masochistic side of me somehow is tempted to Google the history of Marmite.... help me not do this, please help me.. I must not do it, I must not do it, I must not....

Brits are seriously strange people!

There are many unusual terms which they use every day.

Before I visited Albions grey shores, I had from reading, been introduced to the strange device called an "Aga", which is some form of solid fuel stove, like the things we call, in Oz, for some not very apparent reason, "slow combustion stoves", perhaps used for heating.

As nobody I met in my early time in the UK mentioned such things, I assumed it was an old device, & no longer in use, but sitting on a train, idly eavesdropping on a couple of middle aged ladies chatting, one said " I've started up the Aga!"

In the time I was there I never saw one "in the flesh".

Then there is "the Tannoy", which to everybody else, is a "PA system".

Yet another, is the place where avid football fans stand & abuse the umpire--- the "Kop".
Whether this is from the Boer war, or old English, I have no idea!

In Oz, the "Food Hall" is where you can buy snacks, coffee, etc, & can sit to consume them, but (at least, back then), in England, it was the area where cake & other such delights were sold, for later consumption at home.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #107107 on: November 20, 2021, 04:23:20 am »
I found some Vishay SMD precision resistor on ebay. 0.01% 2ppm tempco max. They sell between 15$ and 35$ new on mouser.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Calibration-Resistor-Standards-Vishay-01-2ppm-SMD-Laser-Trimmed-Kit/124549960880

Seller is asking 15$ for 14 pieces (around 1$ each) but he accepted my offer at 10$.

I finally took some time to make a PCB and enclosure for the resistors.

(image snipped)

The PCB screw on top of a 1590A Hammond box.

(image snipped)

I got 4 spare boards I'm not going to use. If someone is interested I could slip it in a envelope easily.

Looks great!  I was thinking of doing up a board using 0.1" dupont-style pins.  Yours came out way better... :-+
Please, sign me up for a board.

A few of us got a set of those resistors each... :popcorn:

EDIT:  must include the humorous part.  :clap: For a moment, I had you mixed up with 25_CPS.  I was thinking in my head "I bet Kosmic would be interested in ordering a board as well, probably the dwagon too..."  :palm:  Obviously, you Kosmic have received your board already  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 04:29:15 am by cyclin_al »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #107108 on: November 20, 2021, 08:44:19 am »

Before I visited Albions grey shores, I had from reading, been introduced to the strange device called an "Aga", which is some form of solid fuel stove, like the things we call, in Oz, for some not very apparent reason, "slow combustion stoves", perhaps used for heating.

As nobody I met in my early time in the UK mentioned such things, I assumed it was an old device, & no longer in use, but sitting on a train, idly eavesdropping on a couple of middle aged ladies chatting, one said " I've started up the Aga!"

In the time I was there I never saw one "in the flesh".

Then there is "the Tannoy", which to everybody else, is a "PA system".

Yet another, is the place where avid football fans stand & abuse the umpire--- the "Kop".
Whether this is from the Boer war, or old English, I have no idea!

In Oz, the "Food Hall" is where you can buy snacks, coffee, etc, & can sit to consume them, but (at least, back then), in England, it was the area where cake & other such delights were sold, for later consumption at home.

"Aga" is swedish in origin. I've only ever seen one, a wood fired one, in live operation, and now that I do my research, I find that today there are only gas and electric ones available, and them I'm not interested in.

"Tannoy" still make excellent coaxial broadband driver elements. That driver series, a 12" one preferably, fitted into a sturdy cabinet make a nice-sounding, point-source wedge monitor, for precision stage monitor work.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107109 on: November 20, 2021, 10:38:04 am »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #107110 on: November 20, 2021, 11:26:28 am »
I can't believe no-one else bid on this GenRad RLC digibridge: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324888256795

Oh well, another bit of TEA on its way to me...

This thing is down to a £20 opening bid this time, with the £35 shipping cost, it's nearly worth getting for the parts now... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373796099203

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Kosmic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107111 on: November 20, 2021, 11:35:57 am »
This thing is down to a £20 opening bid this time, with the £35 shipping cost, it's nearly worth getting for the parts now... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373796099203

0.2%, 31kg :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107112 on: November 20, 2021, 11:38:08 am »

How do you make these boards, printing and all?
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107113 on: November 20, 2021, 11:43:58 am »
also add the CBA-factor, your time (your life time is the only hard limited resource), the nuisance factor ...

In other news I received the keys to the new home and I am busy packing up my old life.

All the best for you, hubby, your daughter and your new home.

Btw, a friend of mine has sent me this a few days ago:

A: Because it is a "Einrichtungshaus".

:-DD  ;D

(sorry for the english folks who didn't get it)   ;)

For those that don't know, I'll translate,

A: Because it is a "Furniture Store".

And yes, you're right, I still don't get it, I take it that there is a special German meaning to it?

OK, try this one:-

"Er hat ein paar Kängurus los im oberen Fahrerlager!!"

Or this one:-

"Er ist ein paar Blechbüchsen weniger als ein 'Sixpack' !"

Some shades of meaning are lost in the translation (certainly the "Google" one)

Ok then, how about this

"Er hat ein paar Kängurus los im oberen Fahrerlager!!"  =  He's got a couple of kangaroos going on in the upper paddock !!

"Er ist ein paar Blechbüchsen weniger als ein 'Sixpack' !" = It's a few tin cans less than a six-pack!

Which I suppose we Brits would say, "He's a sandwich short of a picnic"  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:47:05 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #107114 on: November 20, 2021, 11:50:27 am »

Probably from one of the PCB fabricators around.

Dave has one advertising on this site:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107115 on: November 20, 2021, 11:54:46 am »
I can't believe no-one else bid on this GenRad RLC digibridge: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324888256795

What about this one then, its British and from a good stable, although the price is a bit squiffy 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393701313127?  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #107116 on: November 20, 2021, 11:55:15 am »

Old TE department: Just won a Gossen Geohm low-resistance meter, intended for ground resistance measurements. Was at ~23 €, and I fully expected it to gallop into 50€ land, and set my limit accordingly. All ot took was one bid step up, 24€ plus domestic shipping.

Some one modified "Messung" to "Messing", which has a completely different meaning in either language (German / English).
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107117 on: November 20, 2021, 12:02:43 pm »

If you can wait 3 weeks, there are many places around - and they are stunningly cheap (e.g. 10cm*5cm, 10 off $17). Just give them your gerbers.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #107118 on: November 20, 2021, 12:05:33 pm »
What about this one then, its British and from a good stable, although the price is a bit squiffy 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393701313127?  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Clearly the seller has the decimal point one place too far to the right. Heck, I paid less than £200 shipped for my LCR819 which blows that thing out of the water, specs-wise.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107119 on: November 20, 2021, 12:37:52 pm »
I can't believe no-one else bid on this GenRad RLC digibridge:

Nice , we had a few of those at school , along with a  1658.
I currently own a 1658 , and a 1689.
manual for the 1657:
https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Manuals/1657_im.pdf
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107120 on: November 20, 2021, 12:39:45 pm »

Displays : yeah... no doubt now, they have to be cool Numitron indeed ! Just looked a bit more closely at the schematic, see close-up below, it says :

" Affichage 7x 3015F "

Googled for " 3015F ", lots of hits, it's a Numitron part number !  :D  Google even found me a nice little data sheet for it.
They run on 5V DC at 8mA, so ideal to be driven directly by the TTL logic chips of the day, which this counter uses.

Found some for sale on Ebay, used ones, 30 USD each ?!  :o  On offer, but still...
7 of them in this counter, all in good condition judging by the photos so... 210 USD for the lot, 175 Euros or something, more than twice what I paid for the counter. So I guess it was not such a bad buy after all ??  Not that I internet to resell the displays of course, not my kind !  ;D

According to the datasheet they are even more tiny than I though.... 0,36" ?! A third of an inch, so 8+ mm high or something ?! That's like pocket calculator !  :-DD

Well at least it won't draw much power / cost much in electricity keeping it running, and won't take up much space either on the shelves... hey... would that make it a good candidate to be used as a CLOCK ?!  I mean whenever I work on the bench I lose track of time... have no wall clock here, no wrist watch I hate them, and my smartphone is on the desk a few meters away. So having this tiny little counter displaying time on his bright lovely little Minitron smiling at me, could be cool ? I don't know... just an idea.  I could hack it to either display time, or be used as a counter of course.. not going to mutilate it to permanently turn it into a clock, I would want it to be switchable at will. That could be a nice little project for me, a step up in design and PCB / CAD design and soldering, from the my first board the other day, that minuscule ALDL/RS232 interface board that fits into a DB9 shell.

I would need I guess 4 8 bit shift registers to drive the Numitron directly, just send the date serially from the micro so I could use a low pin count micro, for compactness and ease of design/soldering/routing. Would need an RTC to keep track of time, I think these come in also small packages with a serial interface as well, don't they ? So that would fit well. Then I would need a way to set date and time, I guess I could just use an UART and stick a DB9 socket at the back of the unit, and/or add a few tactile switches on the PCB, alarm clock style.

Using SMD and serial interfaces for RTC and shift registers, the board could be really low profile and very compact, and could be easily fitted inside the counter despite its very small form factor.  The more annoying bit is that driving the displays direclly would require lots of wires, could be show stopper. Would be less wires if I drive the decoders BCD inputs instead, 4 per display, 28 lines. Still a lot of wires, would look ugly and a pain to solder one by one.
I think I could make that better, much tidier and neat looking, if I placed the clock board on the bottom side  of the main board of the counter, so that I can access the solder side of the display board/decoder inputs. Then I could shape the clock PCB so that the outputs of my shift registers, line up perfectly with the pins of the BCD decoders. This way I could just run ribbon cables from my board to the display decoder chips. I could maybe make custom flat flex cables ? They would have a much lower profile/thickness than a ribbon cable, and I could also make the spacing of the wires custom, to make it match really perfectly whatever pin and chip spacing / placement of the decoder chips. That would be the best looking, tidiest neatest solution I would think, as well as the easiest to assemble.

Of course I could reduce dramatically the need for wires by not driving the displays directly and instead inject a signal straight to the LF counter input, so that the time would be displayed a frequency... it's tempting but no... it would look crap, with all the leading zeros and the HM digits being all concatenated together; fused... hard to read.  With direct control of the displays I can turn off all unused displays, add spacing between HM digits to "format" the displays, make it easier to read and better looking. Hell with 7 displays I don't have enough to display HMS, never mind space them apart... would need 8 displays for that, I am short of one display, bugger ! Hmmm... I don't care about secondes anyway. simply H and M would be good enough, and that leaves me with 3 unused displays to let me format H and M as I want. So, in the end if I drive only 4 displays that only 16 lines to drive, not 28.. much better.

OH WAIT !! I have another idea !!  ;D

Let's go back to the idea of injecting a signai into the input of the counter to reduce wire count / avoid driving the displays directly.... now I think of it, even using this method I could STILL be able to "format" the display as I want !! I could just use a few I/O lines of the micro to disable specific displays, or drive specific / individual segment as I wish ! this way I get both a low wire count AND the abiltiy to format the display !  :D

But that means I need a stable time base to make sure I can display what I want... but hey, I have one, it's a counter after all, already has a time base, and it's an OCXO so might be good enough for the purpose !  :D

Say I want to display worse case "23 H 59"   i.e I need a 2,36 or so MHz signal accurate down to one Hz. So I need an accuracy of 0,4 PPM at least. Make that an order of magnitude better, 0.04PPM, or 4.10exp -8 ?. Now can this old OCXO achieve that ?! Don't know, I am not into time nuttery, help please...

So I would have to tap the OCXO then add an external / dedicated digital programmable PLL to generate the appropriate frequency... how easy is it to find / source these, how much do they cost, do they come in a low (enough) pin count package, do they come in a "hand-soldering friendly" SMD package... hmmm... looks like going this route could be a whole can of worms eh ?!  :(

... So I guess I better be reasonable, give up on that and go back to driving the display decoders directly- instead... maybe when I am more clever and experienced I could attempt the PLL route, one day...
Oh ! Or maybe there are some 8 bit micros featuring a basic but good enough PLL built-in ?! Do such micros exist ?!

Anyway, it sounds like a cool little project I could be having fun working on, so think I will be looking into it seriously !  :D

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:48:54 pm by Vince »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #107121 on: November 20, 2021, 01:02:42 pm »
Some one modified "Messung" to "Messing", which has a completely different meaning in either language (German / English).

Well spotted! I have located the "Geohm 2" manual, but not the manual for this first generation. Apparently one can make 4-wire measurements with it, which is something I've been wanting to add to the capability park.

Also, being a fan of Einstürzende Neubauten, any instrument that boasts about having a "Zerhacker" (vibration inverter) automatically gets a  :-+ in my book.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107122 on: November 20, 2021, 01:40:57 pm »

<SNIP>

I looked at the databridge but I have plenty of LCR meters.....
Well worth the £25  :-+

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107123 on: November 20, 2021, 02:00:05 pm »
@vince
Don't use the numitrons for a clock or leave the counter on. They are filament lamps and like any filament lamp have a limited life.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107124 on: November 20, 2021, 02:29:20 pm »
Yes I did think of that... but I would not let the counter on all the time, only power it up when I am working on the bench late in the evening with a risk of losing track of time.

Hell I am not even sure I got such a good deal on this counter... looking more closely at pics and schematics... I think the guy pulled the OCXO from this unit, I can't see an OCXO anywhere on his interior pic. A 250MHz counter with no OCXO or TCXO or even en external 10MHz ref input... that's worth 40 Euros 50 max, not the 100 he was asking. Glad I paid "only" 80 for it... and can get 2+ my money back if I sell the displays...
Also starting to think there might be a big fan protruding outside the top cover of the thing, which he did all he could to hide in his pictures, and of course never mentioned...

Looks like I got fucked again. Human kind is hopeless, there just isn't any honest and competent seller left in this world.

I am waiting to receive the thing to confirm my suspicions, but I am not too hopeful. I got fucked, again. I am stupid and naive...

Well, still a cute little counter and love the old paper docs that come wit hit. But it's 40 Euros cute, not 80 Euros cute. And there is no excuse for advertising an OCXO when there is not, it's just asking for trouble...

Knowing that, there is more incentive for using this thing as a "project" than using it as a counter...

Still, it's got cool displays and does go up to 250MHz, I will give it that...though going to 250MHz with only 7 digits, that's a 100 HZ resolution so hardly stellar... and no RF pre-amp either, nor sensitivity adjustment for the LF input.

.. maybe I can recoup my money buy selling the displays and replacing them with LEDs which I then could leave on at will for a clock.
I don't know.... I want my Minitron displays, don't want to part with them....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:38:30 pm by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf