Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16720935 times)

mankan, Robert763 and 84 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107075 on: November 19, 2021, 06:42:59 pm »
Q: Do you know, why at IKEA there are arrows on the floor?

A: Because it is a "Einrichtungshaus".

:-DD  ;D

(sorry for the english folks who didn't get it)   ;)

I am not English yet I still did not get it !  ;D

I'm counting you as an adopted english fellow.  ;D

I'm English (for some value of English) and I do get it [Hurls soggy boot]. What does that make me?

Well that makes you an English sell out and a German in disguise !
Have you checked your genealogy tree ? Maybe there are some clues there, hidden far back...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107076 on: November 19, 2021, 06:59:46 pm »
The remainders of an audiophil: https://www.ebay.de/itm/284524216689

It is this guy, I think:
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

Yes, it clearly indicates that is the seller in the description.
Take a look at the bid, then read the first sentence of the description:
"Here is the first auction for one TEK RM-31A."
 :wtf:

EDIT:
There are so many Indicators Of Wrong on that page...

There are so many indicators of wrong in the eBay ad as well.
The rest of the description is not describing the article for sale, but is a general description of the collection that the article came from.
It really appears to me to be intentionally deceptive!

It seems to be relisting of the RM-31A that didn't sell (under completed listings), but they haven't bothered to edit the description.  :palm:
Either way they didn't sell one scope on it's own at a silly price and they aren't going to sell that lot of scope remains at a utterly stupid price.
They are advertising them as a source of capacitors & resistors, can't imagine anyone other than a phool wanting those.  :-DD

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107077 on: November 19, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »
Have you checked your genealogy tree ? Maybe there are some clues there, hidden far back...

I doubt it. My father's family came from the part of Britain that was firmly within the Danelaw (and I have some genetic traits strongly suggestive of Viking ancestry), and my mother's family from Ireland, which pretty much excludes any significant Anglo-Saxon heritage. So, I'm predisposed to (1) sail to your country, (2) invade you, (3) steal your women, (4) drink all your booze, and (5) start a fight, all while (6) being loquacious and/or writing about it but fortunately also (7) prone  to getting around to it "tomorrow"*.

* An Irish word that is similar in meaning to the Spanish "mañana", but doesn't have the same sense of burning urgency.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107078 on: November 19, 2021, 07:17:34 pm »
They are advertising them as a source of capacitors & resistors, can't imagine anyone other than a phool wanting those.  :-DD

Never underestimate the number and dedication of fools among hardcore "audiophiles". They buy everything from rotten old capacitors to mains cables costing hundreds of pounds, never mind the state of the house cabling in the background. High prices are more an enticement for them than a deterrent.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:20:44 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107079 on: November 19, 2021, 07:21:09 pm »

[..]So, I'm predisposed to (1) sail to your country, (2) invade you, (3) steal your women, (4) drink all your booze, and (5) start a fight, [..]

Well that doesn't sound terribly good for me ! I guess I better change name and address quick ! :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #107080 on: November 19, 2021, 07:46:57 pm »

[..]So, I'm predisposed to (1) sail to your country, (2) invade you, (3) steal your women, (4) drink all your booze, and (5) start a fight, [..]

Well that doesn't sound terribly good for me ! I guess I better change name and address quick ! :scared:

Why? As stated earlier, you are an adopted british fellow. You have nothing to fear.

Except eating Marmite.

:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #107081 on: November 19, 2021, 07:52:53 pm »

I doubt it. My father's family came from the part of Britain that was firmly within the Danelaw (and I have some genetic traits strongly suggestive of Viking ancestry), and my mother's family from Ireland, which pretty much excludes any significant Anglo-Saxon heritage. So, I'm predisposed to (1) sail to your country, (2) invade you, (3) steal your women, (4) drink all your booze, and (5) start a fight, all while (6) being loquacious and/or writing about it but fortunately also (7) prone  to getting around to it "tomorrow"*.

* An Irish word that is similar in meaning to the Spanish "mañana", but doesn't have the same sense of burning urgency.

From the Wikipedia article:
"Many of the natives, over time, adopted Anglo-Saxon culture and language and were assimilated."

And this happened from the 5th century onwards. I think, chances are high, that you are having some German roots in your bloodline.  ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107082 on: November 19, 2021, 07:57:15 pm »

Why? As stated earlier, you are an adopted british fellow. You have nothing to fear.

Except eating Marmite.

Good lord thank you ! I would rather slit my wrists than having to eat Marmite !  Just the smell of it is enough to provoke a coma !  :scared:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107083 on: November 19, 2021, 07:57:45 pm »

Never underestimate the number and dedication of fools among hardcore "audiophiles". They buy everything from rotten old capacitors to mains cables costing hundreds of pounds, never mind the state of the house cabling in the background. High prices are more an enticement for them than a deterrent.

Yeah :( Search fleabay for "bumble bee capcitor" or "mustard capactor" or "tropical fish capacitor"; at least the last are pretty.

I really ought to start selliing my surplus "vintage RIFA" capacitors, under a different name of course.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #107084 on: November 19, 2021, 08:03:06 pm »
Regarding "old caps": Only a phool loves those caps. Bumble bees and whatnot.

While there is something inherently genuine in hollow-state, the capacitor and the resistor are still fundamentally same, only better. I can't think of a down-side to swapping them, except possibly aesthetics.

Modern TE department: The CPX200 is 80mV low on both meters. The 2-dial coarse/fine voltage adjustment is really nice; it's very easy to dial it in compared to my UNI-T and the -hp- / Harrison ones. Amps are a bit low too. I have the service manual, so will make certain I've made that as right as I can before I declare it fit for bench.

Old TE department: Just won a Gossen Geohm low-resistance meter, intended for ground resistance measurements. Was at ~23 €, and I fully expected it to gallop into 50€ land, and set my limit accordingly. All ot took was one bid step up, 24€ plus domestic shipping.

Pic from ad:

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107085 on: November 19, 2021, 08:04:57 pm »

Except eating Marmite.

Good lord thank you ! I would rather slit my wrists than having to eat Marmite !  Just the smell of it is enough to provoke a coma !  :scared:

But we stole that word from somewhere.....   :-DD

David
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:07:44 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107086 on: November 19, 2021, 08:20:04 pm »
I've signed up for PP Auctions.   

I won't be bidding on the KVD.  I'm happy to let it go to another home.   

Many others on my watch list.

200 miles each way.    Hopefully I won't "win" anything.

< AAAARGH >   I wish I'd never seen this.

I thought I had already signed up to PP Auctions, but it turns out it was the other auction company Ramco. Anyway I couldn't choose my forum username as it was already taken.  |O

The forum scrapper is also bidding on stuff.  :--

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #107087 on: November 19, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
Haha, am I the only person then who has managed to completely negate the Ikea arrows by finding shortcuts through their stores?
I've managed to completely negate the IKEA arrows by never having set foot in one of their blue-faced horror show storefronts.  :-DD

mnem
*currently having a unnatural relationship with a plate of chicken-fried steak and Cheddar-Chive Potato Soup at Bob Evans*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107088 on: November 19, 2021, 08:36:50 pm »

But we stole that word from somewhere.....   :-DD

David

Geez, BU must be right... I am English deep down by now... my brain never even thought that Marmite was also a valid French word... how comes ?!  :-//
I am a lost cause...

But I don't know how the Brits drifted from "cooking pot" to "ugly disgusting smelly puke-inducing controversial substance somehow declared legal for human consumption " ?   There is quite a gap to fill there... or maybe the first British grand-ma that made Marmite cooked it in a French Marmite/pot, didn't know how to call her "invention", lacked imagination, so just called it "the stuff I made in the Marmite "... which progressively was shortened for convenience to just "Marmite" ?! Something like that.... I don't know... and I am not sure I want to know... for fear of unveiling potentially an horrifying truth I might not be tough enough to handle.... though the masochistic side of me somehow is tempted to Google the history of Marmite.... help me not do this, please help me.. I must not do it, I must not do it, I must not....

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:59:08 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107089 on: November 19, 2021, 08:40:46 pm »
Yeah :( Search fleabay for "bumble bee capcitor" or "mustard capactor" or "tropical fish capacitor"; at least the last are pretty.

Liquorice Allsort capacitors, please.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, capt bullshot, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107090 on: November 19, 2021, 08:42:52 pm »

Except eating Marmite.

Hmm, slurp, Marmite is lovely stuff, its excellent for your health.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107091 on: November 19, 2021, 10:15:27 pm »

Wow, that is a tiny little bugger!  I agree, they look like filamentary digits.  My first thought had been Panaplex, but the segments are too thin for that (and all the Panaplex displays I've seen thus far are vertically asymmetric - the middle horizontal segment has always been slightly above the equator of the display.

Cool looking little box.   :-+

-Pat

That tiny little bugger is now mine !  :D

Seller was able to give me more information about this mysterious "Syracuse Electronics France " manufacturer... it was a small company, very much French, based in a little village by the name of " Bourguébus " nearby Caen.  They were taken over by another obscure company by the name of Syrelec, itself taken over by a much more well known company this time, still in business today : Crouzet. French comapany too, as far as I know.

Instrument is much older than I thought, like, a decade older than I thought ! According to the date on the shcematics, it was designed in decement 1973 / January 1974. 
Yes I have the schematics.. believe or not, the seller has the original printed/paper documentation ! Of course not much of it, small old company and all that, so just a few pages, but enough to give full schematics and board views (a few boards in there).  Attached below is one of the pages, showing the schematic of the instrument, or most of it I reckon. Power supply, LF and HF input, decade counters... it's a basic counter not a universal one, so there is not much in there of course.
I just love these old paper docs, and having docs for such an obscure old piece of gear, in itself, is quite something. So it really added up to the "value" of this thing, to my eye at least.

As we can see on the schematics, the OCXO is a reality despite the age and provenance of this thing..... but of course, it's a home made one, both the oscillator and the oven temperature regulation, so no part numter to goolge for specs... so no specs. I guess one day when I can afford a 10MHz reference and distribution box/amplifier to feed to all my instruments... I could have some fun trying to characterize the OCXO  performance in this little counter...

Seller just sent me a couple extra pictures, attached below. He tests the counter. First pic tests the LF input, he is supplying a 9.5MHz signal from a cool old HP RF synthesizer. Second pic, a 250MHz signal on the HF input, to prove that the counter meets its specs (250MHz is specified on the schematic), and it does ! That early '70s little box does deliver  ! :D
But how sensitive is the input at that kind of frequency ? Looking more closely at the pic of the HP synth, it says " 0 " on the output amplitude display. Looks like it is set to display dBm. Don't have an RF synth but googling it, seem s0 dBm means 1mW.   I assume it implies a 50ohm load (which we have here, HF input of the counter is 50ohms), so if I get my math right the signal must mean the voltage level is 220mV or something ? Don't know if that's RMS or peak, though...
Still 200mV at 250MHz for this modest counter is not that bad eh ? It's usable what do you think ? Sure a better counter would have an amplifier and be able to detect much smaller signal level that that. That said, maybe this counter can do better than 200mV... the seller never told me he was trying to test the limits here, maybe 0dBm is simply the default amplitude the instruments gives you when you power it up, who knows !
Plus, looking at the schematic for the HF input, although we don't see a DISCRETE amplifier... it uses the usual divide by 10 chip which maybe might contain an amplifier ? Who knows. Chip part number is obscure : " 95 H 90 ".... I guess it's hopeless trying to find a datasheet on this thing...

So if I want to test the sensitivity of the HF input, at max frequency / 250MHz.... first I need to acquire an RF synth !!  :-//
Can't afford one but....a generous friend some time ago gave me an old RF generator, don't know if it's a synth or not (has a digital display in any case) but at least it's an RF generator, goes up to 500 MHz. It's old but it's not a piece of crap, looks like quality stuff. A boat anchor of course. It's an Enertec/Schlumberger model 4795. I have not put it to service yet because my friend warned me that before I even take the risk to power it up, there are a trillion dipped tantalum caps to replace, and that it's going to be a major undertaking given the internal construction of the instrument. I believe him... and have not even the courage to even open it up to gauge the amount of work that it will represent...
So I guess it's time for me to put that heavy beast on the bench and start recapping it !  |O
Can't afford an old HP synth so I guess it' s a small price to pay if I want to have an RF generator AT ALL....

Also, look at the schematic for the input stage of the LF input this time... see something odd ?? Yes... looks like there is a TUBE rectifier in there ?!  :o
A tiny Nuvistor I guess, of course.

So I was sold... made him an offer.. 80 instead of 100. He accepted. Still expensive but such is the market here. 80 is much better than 100, so it's less painful for my wallet. Plus I just pocketed today 110 Euros in cash for fixing the electric fence motor and Asus tablet I talked about a few weeks back... so the counter is already paid for ! :-+

Guy shipped it today, can't wait to receive it, a nice cute little exotic/uncommon piece of TE in my collection !!!!  :D

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107092 on: November 19, 2021, 10:28:54 pm »
A rectifier in the input of a frequency counter?

Your 'nuvistor' is a 40673 dual-gate mosfet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:41:31 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107093 on: November 19, 2021, 10:41:38 pm »
 :-DD   

That makes more sense indeed !  ;D

Thanks for the help !  I guess I spend too much time looking at the schematics of my old glowing Tek scopes, now I see tubes everywhere !  :palm:

No wonder why Google couldn't find anything about a 40673 Nuvistor, it does not exist... but a 40673 dual gate FET yes ! And apparently it even has a (more) modern substitute at that, in case I need to replace it some day !  :-+

Makes more sense ! And the FET is clearly labeled as " T4 " ... a tube would have been " V4 " instead... and have provision for a heater filaments as well...

Sorry I made a fool out of myself, but glad I learned something ! I mean I have zero familiarity with dual gate FETs... they aren't exactly common place compared to a regular FET or BJT...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:43:58 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107094 on: November 19, 2021, 10:53:08 pm »
Eh.... I was being a bad mouth when I said no way I would find a datasheet for this weird ancient 95H90 prescaler chip on the HF input !

Google found a datasheet for it fingers in the nose !   :-+

A single page. ECL / TTL logic hybrid, made by Fairchild. No analog/amplifier stuff inside, so that's answered.

Says the prescaler is good for 250MHz.... which explains the 250MHz spec of this counter !  ;D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107095 on: November 19, 2021, 11:00:43 pm »
Nice frequency counter + it has tropical fish caps!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107096 on: November 19, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »
Q: Do you know, why at IKEA there are arrows on the floor?

A: Because it is a "Einrichtungshaus".

:-DD  ;D

(sorry for the english folks who didn't get it)   ;)

I am not English yet I still did not get it !  ;D

I'm counting you as an adopted english fellow.  ;D

I'm English (for some value of English) and I do get it [Hurls soggy boot]. What does that make me?

Hint for the German challenged:

Suitably bent and twisted.
It makes you Cerebus, the one and only. And we wouldn't have you any other way.   >:D

mnem
107% homegrown earth-pig, from right over there. Accept no substitutes. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107097 on: November 19, 2021, 11:16:59 pm »

I really ought to start selliing my surplus "vintage RIFA" capacitors, under a different name of course.
VINTAGE CRACKED ICE CAPS! THE DARKER ONES HAVE HIGHER LEAKAGE, ADDING THAT DISTINCTIVE REVERB FUZZ THAT MADE (insert target amplifier brand here) FAMOUS!!!

I HAVE THEM WELL-AGED IN MATCHED PAIRS, QUADS AND SINGLES!

ONLY ONE KIDNEY PER PIECE, OR YOUR FIRSTBORN FOR A MATCHED QUAD (OUR BEST BARGAIN)!

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS OUT ON THIS DEAL; WHEN THEY'RE GONE, THEY'RE GONE!

mnem
until I scavenge a few more hundred out of smoky old counters and peter meters... >:D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:21:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107098 on: November 19, 2021, 11:30:31 pm »
What you really are going to need soon is a nice polished wooden case, with green felt interior lining & underlying the felt, cutouts for all your sensors & other such devices.
Every good RF workshop used to have such cases, but now, although the devices are around in decent quantities, the cases are not.
Reasonably priced alternatives exist:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002317357344.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfVAczE
Or you could just go to Wally World or Academy Sports and spend $10 on a PLANO pistol case.  :-+

I'm using a couple of the larger $3 craft/hobby divider boxes from Dollarama, myself. These have the added benefit of not needing to open them to see what adapters are in there.  8)

mnem
save the assache. there's too much butthurt out there already. ;)

I'm using a lot of Raaco cabinets, and a lot of Hammarplast (think Rubbermaid but in Sweden) SmartStorage(tm) boxes. Really like them.

For my optical measurement and inspection kit I bought a "Peli" clone from one of the cheap tool stores here. Our production gear department (in-house rental of TV making stuff like cameras, microphones, cables, lights, monitors, and a worrying amount of networking boxes) at work has bought a palletload of them and use them for all sorts of small delicate things that need to survive. Their verdict was "good enough, by far" so I went ahead.

Holds my Wandel & Goltermann light source and meters, the cleaning utensils, and my all-optical ferrule microscope. That last item is a bit scary. I only use it on patch cords where I can see both ends and verify them to be dark. It of course is much faster to scope optically than wait for the zoom/focus in the TV camera variant that is actually safe to use on live fibers..

Spent the day sorting through bins; found one of my adaptor kitboxes. $3 and nicely adaptive to different form factors of adaptor.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:44:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107099 on: November 20, 2021, 12:43:26 am »
Spent the afternoon today at our storage unit in Cleveland; sorting through bins for the day-to-day stuff we'll need short-term as we unloaded the trailer.

While we were there, I decided it was a priority to see if the old Saturn we left patiently waiting for over 2 years was still among the living; no flat tires so put a meter across the battery and it showed 11.99 volts.

So I dumped in a can of fresh 93 octane, reconnected the GND cable and gave it 20 minutes charging through booster cables.

First tap of the key she started right up; sat there high-idling ~1100 RPM smooth as glass just as if it were the day after we parked it. I let it run until the fumes got thick and it idled down, then disconnected the GND cable and closed the hood.

We'll be back.

mnem
vroom.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf