Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16723962 times)

Vince and 124 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106975 on: November 18, 2021, 01:41:04 pm »

With the chatter about TM500/TM5000, I had no idea as to what this was so I googled for it and came across this little video which may be of interest, up to you.

I know a little about that one.

It was my project after all. :-/O  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, FransW, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106976 on: November 18, 2021, 01:50:00 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I have zero problem with political topics as long as they are more of a social comment rather than full on. Most of us here are grown enough surely to grasp what the topic is going to be in the first few words of a post and can then decide for ourselves if we read that post or not. I doubt that there is anyone here who actually reads every post anyway, I expect we exercise our own form of censorship each time we pick up a newspaper etc.

Or am I really the only one here adult enough to decide what I read and what I decide to skip, and as on TV, what I watch and what I won't without having to cause mayor disruption by commenting on other's opinions, which they are perfectly entitled to hold.

Honestly, it is not that difficult to be a little more tolerant of others in life.

I am bombarded with life, politics, social commentary, etc in my everyday existence. I come to this thread for enjoyment, to relax, and to share a common interest in test equipment. Why should I have to slug through the drivel and crap in this thread when I get more than my share outside it?

Why is that such a fucking hard concept for some people to grasp? It ain't hard. Just don't.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106977 on: November 18, 2021, 01:50:50 pm »
Today's score. A TTi CPX200 in near-mint condition.

Clearly a jammy git, lucky one.

And it has the output binding posts in the right order (minus left, plus right).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:54:43 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106978 on: November 18, 2021, 01:53:58 pm »

With the chatter about TM500/TM5000, I had no idea as to what this was so I googled for it and came across this little video which may be of interest, up to you.

I never knew that  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #106979 on: November 18, 2021, 02:03:38 pm »
When you have a new sensor you can enter the calibration factors into the instrument. It already has averaged data from some averaged database they had in the factory for several sensor models for each sensor product, but if you have the table on the sensor you can clear the data and enter the data from the sticker. It's a bit tiresome but for the lack of a KBD it's not the worst I've encountered. Just enter the frequency and the cal factor (with the arrow buttons) for each table entry. Since I have two 8482As I'll just make two tables - I might put a label on each sensor, say #1 and #2. then enter two tables like 8482A 1 and 8482A 2 ... it doesn't have special characters like "#".

The instrument interpolates between table entries depending on the freq. you tell the instrument you have the sensor looking at via the FREQ button. And always, always when using this remember the absolute maximum power into the sensor is 300 mW (+24.8 dBm). Anything more will destroy the sensor. I've show this to ham friends and they say "Oh I'll get one to test my ham transmitter!". No, please do not do that.

It's sitting on the roll of bubble-wrap because it's easier to see from where I'm sitting now.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:31:49 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106980 on: November 18, 2021, 02:08:41 pm »
Use "separates", and eschew "pre-packaged instruments".

All you need are a "decent" voltage source driving a "decent" KVD, plus a nice low-current moving coil meter. If you only want 3digit resolution, use 1m of resistance wire and a 1m steel rule instead of the KVD:)

And how pray am I to do that whenever a decent KVD crops up cheap somewhere you make off with it? Or if not you then I have Robert as a secondary suspect.  :)

Oh, stop whining and open your wallet  >:D
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/161450/lot-202

You re just asking to be bid up
 :popcorn:

Literally. The bastard.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106981 on: November 18, 2021, 02:10:40 pm »
If someone here tells me they are seriously interested (c'mon Cerebus) then I won't stand in that person's way.

Five decades? Not worth getting out of bed for.  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106982 on: November 18, 2021, 02:14:51 pm »
A lab assistant ? Can't afford to pay for one but I would not mind a slave/free assistant, he could go through all my boxes of components and stuff, and sort and organize it all neatly so it's easily accessible and I can actually do something with all that stuff, at long last ! :palm:

I don't think Igors need actual payment, just a basement with a nice cool slab to keep spare body parts on and a goodly supply of candles to get all properly dribbly.

I believe that the rules say that once you've got an Igor you're entitled to a more glamorous second lab assistant.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, scl, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #106983 on: November 18, 2021, 02:28:56 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I have zero problem with political topics as long as they are more of a social comment rather than full on. Most of us here are grown enough surely to grasp what the topic is going to be in the first few words of a post and can then decide for ourselves if we read that post or not. I doubt that there is anyone here who actually reads every post anyway, I expect we exercise our own form of censorship each time we pick up a newspaper etc.

Or am I really the only one here adult enough to decide what I read and what I decide to skip, and as on TV, what I watch and what I won't without having to cause mayor disruption by commenting on other's opinions, which they are perfectly entitled to hold.

Honestly, it is not that difficult to be a little more tolerant of others in life.

I am bombarded with life, politics, social commentary, etc in my everyday existence. I come to this thread for enjoyment, to relax, and to share a common interest in test equipment. Why should I have to slug through the drivel and crap in this thread when I get more than my share outside it?

Why is that such a fucking hard concept for some people to grasp? It ain't hard. Just don't.     
Another lovely tantrum. I want, I don't want. Wahhh, wahhh, wahhh. It isn't all about you, med.  :palm:

This thread does not belong to you and you alone. You don't have the right to dictate a zero-tolerance policy and expect people to adhere to that, even if you do have some cohorts who agree with you.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Are you fucking 12?

The difference here is you keep making it personal, and actually alluding that I'm the one at fault for you bullying us all (with a special attention to me, thanks so much) is yet another textbook bullying tactic that anyone who's spent more than a day in any forum will instantly recognize.

Sorry, your playground politics are still fucking politics; they're just childish politics.

Criticize me all you like; I have a tough hide and I can take it. Just accept responsibility for your part in the noise you scream so loudly that you hate, and don't expect me to just sit there and take it without some response.

I'm a tolerant old reptile, not a stupid one.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106984 on: November 18, 2021, 02:31:56 pm »

That sounds rather entitled "It must be what I want it to be"; what are you some bloody Millennial? It's not your personal fiefdom you know. Most of us like the loose rather freewheeling nature of this thread, as long as it comes home again from time to time. If that means putting up with the occasional off topic diatribe on whatever, fine. Yes, Mnem's continual attribution of everything wrong in the world to corporate greed and conspiracy gets a bit wearing and I'd like a lot less of it, but I'll tolerate some, just as I'll tolerate some of your apparent loathing for anything you consider intellectually 'fancy'.

Anyway, you only have yourself to blame this time around, you deliberately provoked Mnem with direct, highly personal criticism ab initio about his move to Canada. I shall cry some crocodile tears for you.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106985 on: November 18, 2021, 02:33:41 pm »
@med6753
It is just the same for us all, we all have the same pressures in life I assure you. I belong to some forums which are strictly run, and I'm not lying when I say that I can log in about 4 times a year and I'm lucky if there are more than about 5 new posts in them to read.

The upshot of that is that I just don't log in now unless I'm looking for some information that I cannot find on here, its a long shot I know, but so far they have not been very forth coming, but this group is a real gold mine of information. It always provides me with pleasure. I get withdrawal symptoms if I'm unable to get my daily dose EEVblog, there is always loads of interesting stuff on here for me to enjoy, much of it is coming from you with your ongoing battle with your Teks. Yes, there are some inappropriate posts from time to time, but in reality is it any different from going to a dedicated club, lets say a shooting club, do you seriously expect to find everyone there to be always talking about shooting  :o because that just doesn't happen. You post about your lady cop and about your wood skills, your decorating skills, window mounted AC unit, what you hear on the police channel, your weather and whether your curtains are pink or beige  :-DD etc and that is your right and I applaud it and will uphold your right. I personally love all of that and can then appreciate the Chris, Mike, Paul, Mounty, Robert etc in more detail as we all learn a little more about each other it and makes this group more personal and promotes cooperation together, and I see loads of examples where we all assist each other, not just on-line but also physically with the sending of items across borders to each other and not just electronic items either but other non-related items as friendships form, all through the one common bond of electronics and that has to be a good thing surely???
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:49:47 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106986 on: November 18, 2021, 02:34:40 pm »
Talking about test equipment, I just bought another scope.... FML.

Has a fail on cal data, so probably the usual Dallas RAM battery has died.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106987 on: November 18, 2021, 02:37:47 pm »

Another lovely tantrum. I want, I don't want. Wahhh, wahhh, wahhh. It isn't all about you, med.  :palm:

This thread does not belong to you and you alone. You don't have the right to dictate a zero-tolerance policy and expect people to adhere to that, even if you do have some cohorts who agree with you.

Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Are you fucking 12?

The difference here is you keep making it personal, and actually alluding that I'm the one at fault for you bullying us all (with a special attention to me, thanks so much) is yet another textbook bullying tactic that anyone who's spent more than a day in any forum will instantly recognize.

Sorry, your playground politics are still fucking politics; they're just childish politics.

Criticize me all you like; I have a tough hide and I can take it. Just accept responsibility for your part in the noise you scream so loudly that you hate, and don't expect me to just sit there and take it without some response.

I'm a tolerant old reptile, not a stupid one.

mnem

Mnem, can I ask you to do something uncharacteristic? Let it go. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. For what it's worth, I think Med has gone beyond the pale on this occasion.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, Neper

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106988 on: November 18, 2021, 03:00:20 pm »
Today's score. A TTi CPX200 in near-mint condition.

Clearly a jammy git, lucky one.

And it has the output binding posts in the right order (minus left, plus right).

Thanks! My first reward! This makes today a good day.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106989 on: November 18, 2021, 03:08:05 pm »

Cal data isn't stored in the SRAMs, there's some EEPROMs on the aquisition board that take care of cal data.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106990 on: November 18, 2021, 03:23:52 pm »

Cal data isn't stored in the SRAMs, there's some EEPROMs on the aquisition board that take care of cal data.

Ah ha, well, that makes things potentially cheaper.
I have the required GPIB ISA card on the way so I'll be able to recalibrate it soon (just gotta test and calibrate my SG503 first...).
I plan to fix it up and on-sell it as tested fully working. Good way to add a substantial bit of value on Yahoo Auctions. :)

Hopefully one day I'll find one of these scopes cheap that happens to have the HDD option to pull out and stick in my TDS784C...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106991 on: November 18, 2021, 03:24:16 pm »
A lab assistant ? Can't afford to pay for one but I would not mind a slave/free assistant, he could go through all my boxes of components and stuff, and sort and organize it all neatly so it's easily accessible and I can actually do something with all that stuff, at long last ! :palm:

I don't think Igors need actual payment, just a basement with a nice cool slab to keep spare body parts on and a goodly supply of candles to get all properly dribbly.

I believe that the rules say that once you've got an Igor you're entitled to a more glamorous second lab assistant.

Here, just for you. A roll in the hay....

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106992 on: November 18, 2021, 03:41:22 pm »

Here, just for you. A roll in the hay....

McBryce.

Call that a roll? I'd at least want a proper man's roll if I couldn't have Teri Garr. Allow me to present the pride of North East England, the smallest roll that a Geordie fella would consider, the Stottie:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106993 on: November 18, 2021, 03:51:54 pm »
Does anybody know, if zhoefler is going to shutdown his business (ebay shop)?
This is the newest item listed and it ends tomorrow at 10:31 hours CET.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/403291830901

His website has been closed since January 27th 2021:
http://www.hoefler-elektronik.net/

:-//

Edit:
Just noticed, that he is absent until 22nd of November.
"Der Verkäufer ist abwesend bis 22. Nov. 2021. Beim Kauf dieses Artikels müssen Sie mit einer späteren Lieferung rechnen. "

Never mind.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 04:02:20 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #106994 on: November 18, 2021, 04:26:55 pm »
Use "separates", and eschew "pre-packaged instruments".

All you need are a "decent" voltage source driving a "decent" KVD, plus a nice low-current moving coil meter. If you only want 3digit resolution, use 1m of resistance wire and a 1m steel rule instead of the KVD:)

And how pray am I to do that whenever a decent KVD crops up cheap somewhere you make off with it? Or if not you then I have Robert as a secondary suspect.  :)

Oh, stop whining and open your wallet  >:D
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/161450/lot-202

You re just asking to be bid up
 :popcorn:

Literally. The bastard.

Yeah! That's what we are here for  >:D
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106995 on: November 18, 2021, 04:28:23 pm »
If someone here tells me they are seriously interested (c'mon Cerebus) then I won't stand in that person's way.

Five decades? Not worth getting out of bed for.  :)

I tend to agree, but not everybody is fortunate enough to have a better one :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106996 on: November 18, 2021, 04:31:39 pm »

Mmmm. You seem to be missing the concept that a successful engineer should have both a wife and a mistress, and that they should know of each other's existence.

They you can tell the wife you're with the mistress and the mistress you are with the wife - while you go to the lab to have good time.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Per Hansson, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #106997 on: November 18, 2021, 05:15:21 pm »

I know those boards.  Just waiting on some spare time...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, TERRA Operative

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106998 on: November 18, 2021, 05:29:31 pm »
Does anybody know, if zhoefler is going to shutdown his business (ebay shop)?
This is the newest item listed and it ends tomorrow at 10:31 hours CET.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/403291830901

His website has been closed since January 27th 2021:
http://www.hoefler-elektronik.net/

:-//

Edit:
Just noticed, that he is absent until 22nd of November.
"Der Verkäufer ist abwesend bis 22. Nov. 2021. Beim Kauf dieses Artikels müssen Sie mit einer späteren Lieferung rechnen. "

Never mind.
That guy is on holidays - he needs to spend some time at his castle in Transsylvania now and then!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106999 on: November 18, 2021, 05:33:39 pm »
One for the Francophones among you, that [sort-of] inexplicably turned up in my eBay feed today.

And for the non-francophones, the callout box reads "With over 300 oscillograms representing [the] measurement possibilities".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:37:25 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf