Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17511554 times)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106825 on: November 15, 2021, 03:51:57 pm »
Hmm, so the 334A Distortion Analyzer is all back together and hasn't gone up in smoke since it was turned on.   :-/O
It's calibrating nicely so far with the new set of capacitors and metal film resistors in place of carbon comps.

BUT, it turns out I need a 600ohm feed through terminator for part of the calibration procedure.... Anyone got one they want to sell? :)

It's just two 1.2k resistors in parallel across the binding posts. If to want to be fancy to could put then in a diecast box with plugs and sockets. need 3 (hi lo and chassis) of these https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-13650/conn-banana-plug-36a-stud/dp/2930001?
and top hat nylon washers to make it look pretty.

EDIT. following comments made while I was typing  looked at the manual nd soo they call up a BNC terminator. This is on the 600R output of a 652A oscillator Correct part is 11095A
The 652A output is just a 550R resistor from the 50R outpu attenuator. The 600R temination will give half the voltage output (google hard soft microvolts)
If using a modern signal generator with a proper 600R output you don't need it but will have to reduce the output level by half (6dB)
Fi you really need a terminator I'd use a BNC T and a BNC to binding post adaptor with 2 x 1k2 resistors across the binding posts. That's the bit's I have to hand.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 04:09:22 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106826 on: November 15, 2021, 04:01:04 pm »
- connectors: Kathrein EMK 14

The compression plugs are essential. Remade my DVB-T net with them couple years ago. Zero issues, lots better signal.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106827 on: November 15, 2021, 04:04:40 pm »
It's just two 1.2k resistors in parallel across the binding posts. If to want to be fancy to could put then in a diecast box with plugs and sockets. need 3 (hi lo and chassis) of these https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/72-13650/conn-banana-plug-36a-stud/dp/2930001?
and top hat nylon washers to make it look pretty.

BNC connector, BNC T piece and a 602R E96 resistor will work.

I do have some little black aluminium boxes, just big enough to stick a finger through. I guess I could get a drill out and make something a little bit nice with some BNC connectors etc.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106828 on: November 15, 2021, 04:10:35 pm »
see my edit unless using a old signal generator you don't need to terminate it.

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106829 on: November 15, 2021, 04:32:44 pm »

I'm just using a 3325A function gen, and setting the RMS voltage to be as close as I can to what the manual calls for by measuring it on my 34461A multimeter
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106830 on: November 15, 2021, 04:34:41 pm »

I'm just using a 3325A function gen, and setting the RMS voltage to be as close as I can to what the manual calls for by measuring it on my 34461A multimeter

No termination required then  :D

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106831 on: November 15, 2021, 05:18:34 pm »
So we are no longer Canucks in waiting; we are now US citizens only again. Even though the immigration lawyers told us we had all our LMIA stuff in order (and evidently we did), we didn't do the visitor status renewal thing correctly, and being stuck in the middle of a global pandemic was not good enough reason. We went to do the last part of the process as outlined by our lawyers; returning to the US and finalizing the LMIA at the border. However the visitor status problem borked that, and we spent 18 hours "not being detained" in the border station waiting area and our car before they told us officially to piss off back to the US. |O

We are at this moment regrouping just across the border in New York (no med, we're not coming to your idyllic little corner of the state), and going to visit my dad in NYC.

So short version: we're starting over. We may try the LMIA thing again depending on the results of the hearing, but by the time we get back on our feet and can think about such things, we'll probably be established somewhere close to my dad which is now my primary concern.

It was a nice, if very expensive, vacation.

mnem
*so very tired*

Is there an appeals process for this?  I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about how the pandemic has made a mess for immigration into Canada and international students coming here.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106832 on: November 15, 2021, 05:43:02 pm »
It must be audiophoolery week on my local CL. I guess I missed the memo.  ::)

Sometimes I am glad that an explanation or title is provided with a picture.
The arrangement above had me thinking of completely different things.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106833 on: November 15, 2021, 05:47:18 pm »

Sometimes I am glad that an explanation or title is provided with a picture.
The arrangement above had me thinking of completely different things.

Kind of a captivating connection perhaps? 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #106834 on: November 15, 2021, 05:52:45 pm »

Pat sent me these wonderful scans of "MAD Magazine Goes Hifi".  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, capt bullshot, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic, cyclin_al, srb1954, duckduck, dl6lr

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106835 on: November 15, 2021, 06:13:58 pm »
Ever wondered what's inside a defective satellite dish LNB?

Krusty!

Any clue as to what component failed?

No, I didn't dig any further. But I assume it's corrosion that might have dissolved a PCB trace or shorted the output connectors, so I'd guess the components are still OK.
I don't think all the water ingress happened within one day that took the thing from working to fail with no early telltale signs. Rain obviously has less minerals than tap water, usually electrochemical corrosion by water intake is faster.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: blubillcanada

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106836 on: November 15, 2021, 06:36:28 pm »
Here's two more pictures of the RF voodoo inside the LNB:

Though I have an idea of what it is supposed to do, I have no idea how it is doing this. Can't even spot a local oscillator

Shariar (TSP) made a video about a simple radar, explaining these structures.

OK, now I see some:

The pinkish toroidal things most probably tune the local oscillators. With some imagination I can see wilkinson power splitters, mixers, and amplifier chains.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:43:57 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DC1MC

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106837 on: November 15, 2021, 06:45:03 pm »
I built up the updated rectifier board for the mini 212. The 2 components on the tape are fuses for the battery packs. Mine already have fuses installed so these will be spares. The inter-board connectors won't be installed until I check clearances. They can be installed several ways which could cause clearance issues.

So, will it be installed today? Not happening. Tomorrow? Nope. Wednesday? Unlikely. But it WILL be installed before Christmas.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #106838 on: November 15, 2021, 06:57:38 pm »
I built up the updated rectifier board for the mini 212. The 2 components on the tape are fuses for the battery packs. Mine already have fuses installed so these will be spares. The inter-board connectors won't be installed until I check clearances. They can be installed several ways which could cause clearance issues.

So, will it be installed today? Not happening. Tomorrow? Nope. Wednesday? Unlikely. But it WILL be installed before Christmas.  :-DD

You fitted R215 with the tolerance band at the wrong end!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106839 on: November 15, 2021, 07:09:33 pm »

Have at it.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106840 on: November 15, 2021, 07:52:32 pm »

OK, now I see some:

The pinkish toroidal things most probably tune the local oscillators. With some imagination I can see wilkinson power splitters, mixers, and amplifier chains.
To illuminate a bit more, find attached below an illustration of how the resonator couples to the microstrip: magnetically!

One strip couples energy into the resonator, the other gets the feedback to the active element.
I would hazard a guess the longer strip terminated at the right couples energy into the resonator (the strip that also goes left to the splitter) and the shorter stub 90 degree to it is the one that gets the feedback for the amplifier.
Still amazing over which distance the coupling takes effect!

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Online RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106841 on: November 15, 2021, 08:08:43 pm »
Selftest works, but it does not meassure, last time it did work. So had to use the one from the next side...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:43:24 pm by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106842 on: November 15, 2021, 08:36:40 pm »

I don't think that solder wick is going to work if it's soaked in urine.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #106843 on: November 15, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »

Pat sent me these wonderful scans of "MAD Magazine Goes Hifi".  :-DD :-DD :-DD

They're really nice. Thanks.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106844 on: November 15, 2021, 08:46:13 pm »
Selftest works, but it does not meassure, last time it did work. So hat to use the one from the next side...

I was going to say "Bitte auf Englisch!", but you'd edited it while I was saying it! Now I'm just getting confused because I was also trying to translate Shakespeare first lines in German on University Challenge to English at the same time.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: RolandK

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #106845 on: November 15, 2021, 08:58:14 pm »
The RV55 has arrived. In one piece, and visually good condition. Nothing seems broken, no transport damage. Happy.

Also: The instrument is bleeping enormous. Compare to the 8060 -- I thought I was lucky getting a large instrument on my -hp- 400H (which was, at the time, marketed as having a larger display than its elder brethren). This easily is 35-40% larger than the 400h.  Gorgeous in every way. No internal pics yet; I literally took it out of the package and switched it on. (It gets quite cozy.) 

It unfortunately reads only about 90% of actual value. The TT-15 puts out 1030mV 1KHz according to the 8060, but as you see, that only shows up as 900mV on the RV55. I'll parallel the meters to check it's not loading the Fostex, though. It should not; it's a 1MΩ input impedance instrument, but the TT-15 is not the highest quality source available, so while trust might be good, it's surpassed by control...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106846 on: November 15, 2021, 10:35:41 pm »

The projects in Brooklyn, NYC. No different than the one's in Queens. When those projects were built in the early 1960's the requirements to gain residence were quite different. You HAD to demonstrate that you were employed. Jo Ann and her family were the first occupants of the apartment when the building opened. Her Father worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Over the years the city allowed the buildings to deteriorate and the residency requirements became all you needed was a pulse. Jo Ann has told me stories of living there and initially it wasn't too bad but over the years quickly went downhill.

Fast forward to today. Jo's grand daughter and her deadbeat daughter-in-law live in the exact same building. Her daughter-in-law has not worked one day in her life and is on the dole (welfare). Luckily her grand daughter is now 17 and a straight A student and headed for college and break out of projects. And Jo's older 2 grand son's also left dead beat momma behind and are gainfully employed and living outside the projects.

I once drove Jo and her grand daughter over to the building to drop her off after visiting for the weekend. I was told to stay in the car. I was the wrong color. Trust me, I had no issue with that.  :o ;D   

If you follow Louis Rossman then you'll have seen how the City has allowed all of NYC to deteriorate with almost 1/3 of businesses closed, roads unrepaired and the city authorities and landlords appear to be desperately chasing the last few $ from what business is actually left in the city and in so doing driving away the remaining businesses as they cannot afford the excessive rents and business rates any longer. It's really loosing its once glamorous and glitzy reputation, with large parts of it becoming almost a ghost town.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106847 on: November 15, 2021, 11:16:40 pm »

Though I have an idea of what it is supposed to do, I have no idea how it is doing this. Can't even spot a local oscillator

Shariar (TSP) made a video about a simple radar, explaining these structures.

https://www.youtu.be/5vqSX40seqA

OK, now I see some:

What I am finding fascinating is that those LNBs are working on a wide temperature and humidity range for many years (10 years and more aren't unusual). I'm always wondering, what the hidden knowledge is constructing these amazing circuits. But I'm afraid that those things are kept as a well guarded secret (the devil is in the details with all this RF stuff).
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #106848 on: November 16, 2021, 12:45:08 am »
With a little creativity I can see a set of HAM inspired shelf brackets or table legs  ;D eBay auction: #255230237171

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #106849 on: November 16, 2021, 01:02:44 am »

Ooooh!  Now that is a copper rope  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf