Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17511588 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106800 on: November 15, 2021, 12:16:57 am »
Melbourne had its fair share of historic vertical monolith Ghettos created by the Housing Commission (one of my Uncles worked on these for decades as a Mech Eng.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_Commission_of_Victoria

The current version is 5-6 stories packed into sardine like flats with zero green space around them.

For the non Aussies Melbourne and Sydney in particular are cities of over 5 million people so urban sprawl on our older 1/4 acre + blocks is a thing.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #106801 on: November 15, 2021, 01:38:53 am »
So we are no longer Canucks in waiting; we are now US citizens only again. Even though the immigration lawyers told us we had all our LMIA stuff in order (and evidently we did), we didn't do the visitor status renewal thing correctly, and being stuck in the middle of a global pandemic was not good enough reason. We went to do the last part of the process as outlined by our lawyers; returning to the US and finalizing the LMIA at the border. However the visitor status problem borked that, and we spent 18 hours "not being detained" in the border station waiting area and our car before they told us officially to piss off back to the US. |O

We are at this moment regrouping just across the border in New York (no med, we're not coming to your idyllic little corner of the state), and going to visit my dad in NYC.

So short version: we're starting over. We may try the LMIA thing again depending on the results of the hearing, but by the time we get back on our feet and can think about such things, we'll probably be established somewhere close to my dad which is now my primary concern.

It was a nice, if very expensive, vacation.

mnem
*so very tired*

My heart just sank when I saw this!

I have to give you credit for following through and trying to make it happen.
Most people regret the things they did not do.  You cannot regret trying your hardest.

Please take the time to regroup and figure out the best thing for your family.
When you are ready and can look at the situation objectively, definitely consult your lawyer to figure out what went wrong and what your options for next steps are.

I have no words of wisdom, besides reading "The Road Not Taken":
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44272/the-road-not-taken

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #106802 on: November 15, 2021, 01:46:21 am »
That is terrible.   Direct result of populist "keep them out" polices.

Possibly not. I've known several people who have emigrated from various bits of Europe to Canada. They all found the immigration process irksome, but because of its bureaucratic rigidity and insistence on dotting every i and crossing every t no matter how trivial, not because they felt it was slanted against them. All a few years ago so things might have changed.

All the Canadians I've know seem pretty welcoming of immigrants no matter where they are from. Although there was an undercurrent of dislike towards rich Chinese who started turning up as China liberalised economically. The thing that was always mentioned was that the Chinese they seemed to form rich 'ghettoes' which didn't seem to be a thing with any other immigrants. Richmond in BC is an example of the phenomenon. Not so much a "coming over here taking our jobs" thing as a "coming over here buying our property, pushing up prices" thing.

Unfortunately, I do not know for myself whether that is fact or some exaggeration, but the Chinese have been portrayed as buying up the properties and pushing up the prices, as you indicated.  However, the grapevine indicates that those buyers are not coming over here and are instead only investors.  The interpretation is that prices are driven up, but that there are now residences standing empty in cities which have lack of available housing stock.

-- that is the story I get when I am a long way away halfway to the other coast

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106803 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:20 am »
That is terrible.   Direct result of populist "keep them out" polices.

Possibly not. I've known several people who have emigrated from various bits of Europe to Canada. They all found the immigration process irksome, but because of its bureaucratic rigidity and insistence on dotting every i and crossing every t no matter how trivial, not because they felt it was slanted against them. All a few years ago so things might have changed.

All the Canadians I've know seem pretty welcoming of immigrants no matter where they are from. Although there was an undercurrent of dislike towards rich Chinese who started turning up as China liberalised economically. The thing that was always mentioned was that the Chinese they seemed to form rich 'ghettoes' which didn't seem to be a thing with any other immigrants. Richmond in BC is an example of the phenomenon. Not so much a "coming over here taking our jobs" thing as a "coming over here buying our property, pushing up prices" thing.

Unfortunately, I do not know for myself whether that is fact or some exaggeration, but the Chinese have been portrayed as buying up the properties and pushing up the prices, as you indicated.  However, the grapevine indicates that those buyers are not coming over here and are instead only investors.  The interpretation is that prices are driven up, but that there are now residences standing empty in cities which have lack of available housing stock.

-- that is the story I get when I am a long way away halfway to the other coast

When I was hearing moans about this (when visiting BC) was over twenty years ago, and the levels of wealth building up in China where nothing like they are today. So, it was actual pukka immigrants buying houses and living in them that was the source of the bickering, not the "getting cash out to somewhere safe" that we've seen in recent years. Today in London (the real one, not the Ontario ersatz one) there are swathes of very high end property with no one living in them bought with money expatriated by  Russians, Chinese and probably people from everywhere with a fickle government - so as that phenomenon goes it's not unique to Canada. As far as Richmond goes, back when I was talking about, there was also moaning about Chinese immigrants buying up a property, demolishing it, and putting up a Chinese Canadian version of the McMansion. All in all I got the feeling that the underlying gripe was more to do with not assimilating enough to be both Canadian and Chinese - basically, not enough "becoming a Canadian" in the mix. ("I mean, do they even play ice hockey, eh?".  :))
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106804 on: November 15, 2021, 06:59:39 am »
This went up last week but no bids so it was relisted, thought I'd post here if anyone from Sweden is curious to have a space heater for winter!

"Collect in Linköping" was a bit of a brake on it, but it's been on my watch list. I also have a 5440 in the repair queue (shipped bouncing about in a movers carton, with NO padding, by "Sellpy". Them's fucking idiots -- every last bit of gear I've bought through them has been packed like shit) that would be good to fix first.  Nice to discover that there's another one scanning the "hobby/elektronikinstrument" section of Tradera here!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106805 on: November 15, 2021, 07:59:49 am »
It must be audiophoolery week on my local CL. I guess I missed the memo.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106806 on: November 15, 2021, 08:05:32 am »
Melbourne had its fair share of historic vertical monolith Ghettos created by the Housing Commission (one of my Uncles worked on these for decades as a Mech Eng.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_Commission_of_Victoria

The current version is 5-6 stories packed into sardine like flats with zero green space around them.

For the non Aussies Melbourne and Sydney in particular are cities of over 5 million people so urban sprawl on our older 1/4 acre + blocks is a thing.

Looks exactly like the housing project my Lady Cop grew up in and today her grand daughter lives in. An urban ghetto in every sense of the word.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #106807 on: November 15, 2021, 12:11:23 pm »
RV55 VTVM is at my local post office representative. Pics when I've picked it up and made  dinner tonight.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106808 on: November 15, 2021, 12:17:31 pm »
Timenuttery update:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/dmtd-board/msg3813809/#msg3813809

TL;DR: Noise floor ADEV plot of some further DMTD experiments:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 12:20:48 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106809 on: November 15, 2021, 01:02:19 pm »
So the TV is gone black some two weeks ago, found the root case beeing the dish.
Now I've got some craftsmen here, having fun on top of the roof replacing the whole satellite TV antenna  (mast and dish) since it's all been more or less crappy and rotten.

Ever wondered what's inside a defective satellite dish LNB?

I found a small spider that escaped before I could take a picture and water, aside the rather expected RF voodoo ...

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #106810 on: November 15, 2021, 01:26:00 pm »

Krusty!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106811 on: November 15, 2021, 02:04:41 pm »

Looks exactly like the housing project my Lady Cop grew up in and today her grand daughter lives in. An urban ghetto in every sense of the word.

As in "The Projects" in Queens NYC? Any poor bastard who got lumbered with living there has my sympathies. I've seen film of them and they make the most run down misconceived example of British council housing estates look idylic (possibly even including the notorious Wester Hailes in Edinburgh).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106812 on: November 15, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »
When I'm going to mount a satellite dish, I'm using most time this:

- SPU44EN from Televes
- Dish Gibertini OP 85 SE
- Coax cable: Kathrein LCD 115 A
- connectors: Kathrein EMK 14
- Wall mounting: Kathrein KEZ3525
- Roof mounting: Kathrein, one of those

Never had any problems with them.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106813 on: November 15, 2021, 02:28:04 pm »
Put a LNB cover over the front, so that at least it will not get nuked by the sun all day. Will attenuate slightly, and you will still get sun fade when it is near the Equinox, but at least keeps the front cover from cracking fast.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106814 on: November 15, 2021, 02:38:04 pm »
When I'm going to mount a satellite dish, I'm using most time this:

They've used Televes and Kathrein stuff, professionals.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106815 on: November 15, 2021, 03:03:43 pm »

As in "The Projects" in Queens NYC? Any poor bastard who got lumbered with living there has my sympathies. I've seen film of them and they make the most run down misconceived example of British council housing estates look idylic (possibly even including the notorious Wester Hailes in Edinburgh).

The projects in Brooklyn, NYC. No different than the one's in Queens. When those projects were built in the early 1960's the requirements to gain residence were quite different. You HAD to demonstrate that you were employed. Jo Ann and her family were the first occupants of the apartment when the building opened. Her Father worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Over the years the city allowed the buildings to deteriorate and the residency requirements became all you needed was a pulse. Jo Ann has told me stories of living there and initially it wasn't too bad but over the years quickly went downhill.

Fast forward to today. Jo's grand daughter and her deadbeat daughter-in-law live in the exact same building. Her daughter-in-law has not worked one day in her life and is on the dole (welfare). Luckily her grand daughter is now 17 and a straight A student and headed for college and break out of projects. And Jo's older 2 grand son's also left dead beat momma behind and are gainfully employed and living outside the projects.

I once drove Jo and her grand daughter over to the building to drop her off after visiting for the weekend. I was told to stay in the car. I was the wrong color. Trust me, I had no issue with that.  :o ;D   

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106816 on: November 15, 2021, 03:15:22 pm »
Hmm, so the 334A Distortion Analyzer is all back together and hasn't gone up in smoke since it was turned on.   :-/O
It's calibrating nicely so far with the new set of capacitors and metal film resistors in place of carbon comps.

BUT, it turns out I need a 600ohm feed through terminator for part of the calibration procedure.... Anyone got one they want to sell? :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106817 on: November 15, 2021, 03:16:50 pm »

Krusty!

Any clue as to what component failed?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106818 on: November 15, 2021, 03:19:59 pm »
Hmm, so the 334A Distortion Analyzer is all back together and hasn't gone up in smoke since it was turned on.   :-/O
It's calibrating nicely so far with the new set of capacitors and metal film resistors in place of carbon comps.

BUT, it turns out I need a 600ohm feed through terminator for part of the calibration procedure.... Anyone got one they want to sell? :)

Can you make one if required? I wouldn't think it would be very difficult.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106819 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:37 pm »

Krusty!

There was water in it. It has certanly destroyed the delicate electrical properties of all those RF PCB tracks. That's enough to cause a complete fail of the LNB.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106820 on: November 15, 2021, 03:24:43 pm »

Krusty!

There was water in it. It has certanly destroyed the delicate electrical properties of all those RF PCB tracks. That's enough to cause a complete fail of the LNB.

Missed the part with the water. Sometimes my reading comprehension sucks. Never mind.  :P :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106821 on: November 15, 2021, 03:36:56 pm »
Missed the part with the water. Sometimes my reading comprehension sucks. Never mind.  :P :-DD

If you prefer pictures: here we go! :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106822 on: November 15, 2021, 03:38:42 pm »

If you prefer pictures: here we go! :D

OK, you don't have to rub my nose in it. I get it.  :palm: :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #106823 on: November 15, 2021, 03:42:18 pm »

Can you make one if required? I wouldn't think it would be very difficult.

Yeah, I could but that takes effort. :P
Maybe I can get a cheap 50ohm terminator and swap the guts out to make it 600 ohm..
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106824 on: November 15, 2021, 03:49:30 pm »
BNC connector, BNC T piece and a 602R E96 resistor will work.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, TERRA Operative

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf