Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17517917 times)

Runco990, flash2b, wolfy007, Vince and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106550 on: November 09, 2021, 03:51:47 pm »
I wish BD would get his Limey arse back on here.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106551 on: November 09, 2021, 03:52:54 pm »
Surely it can't be page 16034 already?  ;)

Most recently used to find out how close to an aluminium chassis we could mount Coilcraft 2% tolerance air-cored SM inductors, without affecting the inductance value. Answer: surprisingly close!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 04:04:55 pm by nfmax »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, FransW, Andrew_Debbie, factory, mansaxel, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106552 on: November 09, 2021, 05:05:25 pm »
A Plessey AVOMETER in Ghent, Belgium:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303557366571
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106553 on: November 09, 2021, 05:13:55 pm »
One day I'll buy a 34401A and will replace the LM399 with an ADR1399KHZ  ;D 8)
They are available at analog.com for 12.28 Dollars per piece (one has to order at least 18 pieces).

Or you can order a sample for free, as I did today. They only have themselves to blame, if the MOQ was smaller I've have bought some, but no way am I going to pay 18x$12.28 = $221.04 just to get one for evaluation and I'm too impatient to wait until next year sometime when they will become catalogue parts at Digikey, Mouser, or whoever (RS will probably get there in 2030).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106554 on: November 09, 2021, 05:27:28 pm »
Working on this mini 212 is like trying to stuff 5 pounds of shit into a 2 pound bag. Anyway, cleaned up the corrosion on the PSU/HV board. Replaced all the HV rectifiers and the ceramic load balancing capacitors. Results? Didn't fix anything. Trace is still bouncing around and going out of focus. But I do have a new problem. It won't power up on batteries alone, only if plugged into mains.  :palm: So something new to troubleshoot. What a PITA.   ::)

Edit....fixed the battery problem. One of the battery connectors to the board was a pin off.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:39:11 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106555 on: November 09, 2021, 05:29:28 pm »
It is difficult to know whether popcorn noise is in the voltage source or meter's internal reference. A good way of eliminating the possibility of the meter's reference generating noise is to measure a "noiseless" voltage source such as a Weston standard cell. (I speculate that other types of chemical cell would also have little popcorn noise).

NIST have a paper on that - "Measurement of Voltage Noise in Chemical batteries" presented at the 1995 IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium.

The TL;DR is that voltage noise from a battery is almost entirely down to the Johnson noise of the cell's internal resistance. The paper is quite old, and the 'winner' that they pronounce from the calls they tested is an AA NiCd with a voltage noise of -194dBVrms/srqt(Hz) at 1 Hz (200 pV/sqrt(Hz)). Sadly they didn't test lead acid or NiFe, both cells with very low internal resistance, which one suspects might perform very well if the "Johnson noise of the cell's internal resistance" thesis holds up. Should that be the case, we probably all have a 12V super-ultra-low-noise voltage source to hand.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106556 on: November 09, 2021, 05:39:53 pm »
While there's the whiff of volt-nuttery in the air, I'll show what's on my screen today. Waveforms from some Verilog simulation from a WIP project:

(Click for full size to get a properly readable version)

The cognoscenti will be able to figure out my Dastardly Plan.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106557 on: November 09, 2021, 05:47:32 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, its just so quiet without him, I must make contact with him and see just how he is doing.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #106558 on: November 09, 2021, 06:26:59 pm »

You're trying to copycat the HP3458 ADC (and take over total world domination by selling your CE3459)?
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106559 on: November 09, 2021, 06:52:21 pm »

You're trying to copycat the HP3458 ADC (and take over total world domination by selling your CE3459)?

Something like that - not quite copycat but perhaps 'reimagine'. There's a lot more to producing something like the 3458A than just the ADC but I thought it would be fun to build a multi-slope ADC and play around with seeing how far you can go on cheap-arsing the parts and still get decent results. The core of the ADC is a couple of op amps, a comparator, a cheap small FPGA and some very cheap analogue switches - a £10-15 BOM if you're aiming at full 3458A capabilites, more like £7-8 if you're aiming at 34401 level performance. Op amps have come a long way since HP designed the 3458A and you can buy an op amp that's up to snuff for the integrator whereas they had to design a custom amp. Other things have changed too, they needed precise and stable slope setting resistors because they didn't have the compute power available to deal with calibrating them, with modern microcontrollers you can cope with uneven slope values and merely need stable resistors.

First pass in solder is either going to go to the very bottom end and use very ordinary precision SMD resistors to set the slope currents or possibly a statistical array á la Pickering built out of Vishay NOMCA resistor arrays.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #106560 on: November 09, 2021, 07:29:15 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, its just so quiet without him, I must make contact with him and see just how he is doing.
He graced us with his presence on Discord and TEA is just too much for him to fit in now BD140 is on the scene.
For now it's priorities.....teenage kids, new job and possible new partner....an hour on Discord is all we can expect for a bit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106561 on: November 09, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
He graced us with his presence on Discord and TEA is just too much for him to fit in now BD140 is on the scene.
For now it's priorities.....teenage kids, new job and possible new partner....an hour on Discord is all we can expect for a bit.
Wow, did he say about BD140 then, I did know but was not aware that he had told anyone.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #106562 on: November 09, 2021, 07:47:56 pm »
Wow, did he say about BD140 then, I did know but was not aware that he had told anyone.
Openly. Seems like an ongoing Sat night dinner date before Discord. You need honor us with your presence there again to catch up on the latest.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #106563 on: November 09, 2021, 07:49:42 pm »

Something like that - not quite copycat but perhaps 'reimagine'. There's a lot more to producing something like the 3458A than just the ADC but I thought it would be fun to build a multi-slope ADC and play around with seeing how far you can go on cheap-arsing the parts and still get decent results. The core of the ADC is a couple of op amps, a comparator, a cheap small FPGA and some very cheap analogue switches - a £10-15 BOM if you're aiming at full 3458A capabilites, more like £7-8 if you're aiming at 34401 level performance. Op amps have come a long way since HP designed the 3458A and you can buy an op amp that's up to snuff for the integrator whereas they had to design a custom amp. Other things have changed too, they needed precise and stable slope setting resistors because they didn't have the compute power available to deal with calibrating them, with modern microcontrollers you can cope with uneven slope values and merely need stable resistors.

First pass in solder is either going to go to the very bottom end and use very ordinary precision SMD resistors to set the slope currents or possibly a statistical array á la Pickering built out of Vishay NOMCA resistor arrays.

Hopefully when the microcontroller crashes, you'll get a nonsense value out so you can see that it needs resetting...

They are available at analog.com for 12.28 Dollars per piece (one has to order at least 18 pieces).

I wonder if the LM399 on the 34401a were hand pick ? if they were, replacing just by any regular ADR1399 might not be a great move.

The service manual makes no mention of whether it is hand picked or not, but given it's listed as an HPAK part rather than having both an HPAK and OEM number, I think it's a fair chance that it is, presumably after the aging process.

So you're probably right about it being a potentially ruinous move.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106564 on: November 09, 2021, 07:51:39 pm »
Openly. Seems like an ongoing Sat night dinner date before Discord. You need honor us with your presence there again to catch up on the latest.  :P

He's too busy repainting his entire house!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106565 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:01 pm »
Yeah, I keep trying to, but lately it seems that real life seems to get in the way, maybe this week I might get lucky.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106566 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
Possibly a nice restoration project if the seller takes a low-ball offer? https://www.ebay.de/itm/234276755883

McBryce.

Seriously doubt they will take any low-ball offers, they also seem to part out vintage TE to flog the glassware and cRapacitors separately.
This one looks suspiciously similar to those found in some Tek TE, for parts not working.  :palm:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/224682354681

And I'm fed up of seeing this murdered hp TE, month after month, even that has missing parts.  :--
https://www.ebay.de/itm/234245845670

David

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106567 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:38 pm »
Now that you have that international VAT, wouldn't it be a shame to let it go to waste?
I'd guess if you post a thread in the Metrology section á la "I'll order 18 and look for 3 people to take 4,4,5 each in europe"
You might find a few kindred souls there... Please tell if you do, I'd take one 4pcs lot please  >:D

I'd jump in for a lot of 4, too.

You can pencil me in for a couple as well, I'm always happy to buy fancy stuff to live forever in my parts organiser...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #106568 on: November 09, 2021, 08:04:29 pm »
packing ...

Organizing the move.
Hubby's next heart surgery is coming up  @End of November ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #106569 on: November 09, 2021, 08:15:50 pm »
And I'm fed up of seeing this murdered hp TE, month after month, even that has missing parts.  :--

Tee hee:

https://www2.ppauctions.com/lot/161599/lot-351
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106570 on: November 09, 2021, 08:16:09 pm »

Or you can order a sample for free, as I did today. They only have themselves to blame, if the MOQ was smaller I've have bought some, but no way am I going to pay 18x$12.28 = $221.04 just to get one for evaluation and I'm too impatient to wait until next year sometime when they will become catalogue parts at Digikey, Mouser, or whoever (RS will probably get there in 2030).

Do you have to part of a business to order samples, or need to buy other parts at the same time?

Sample Free of Charge Online

Over 3,000 models available to sample free or charge on the web in over 50 countries around the world
    These products are shipped to directly to you – free of charge (including free shipping)
    The limitations include:
        Up to 2 pieces per product
        Up to 4 products per order
    For many products, you will have the option to buy additional if you reach your sample limit

David

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106571 on: November 09, 2021, 08:21:18 pm »

Hopefully when the microcontroller crashes, you'll get a nonsense value out so you can see that it needs resetting...

I'm insulted! Microcontrollers I've programmed don't crash, the GPSDO has been running continuously for months and is only due to crash on the next leap second ('cause I haven't coded the bit that decodes the GPS datastream to get the date of the next leap second).

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #106572 on: November 09, 2021, 09:09:13 pm »
3 - older antenna with VHF-only amplifier is drowning the IF stages so none of the higher frequencies, but breaking the core allows the DVT receiver to receive the un-amplified signals in the UHF band as if they were common-mode noise. This was a very common problem during the  early parts of the switchover from analog.

mnem
 :bullshit:

Holy shit the dwagon got the cake today.
Yes I have an older antenna but I have a VHF-UHF amp. Funny, if I take a DVBT2 decoder and hook it up in place of the internal TV decoder everything is okay. Not sure how to proceed. I leave the core disconnected for now and everybody is happy.  :-DD.

My best guess is the internal TV DVBT2 decoder has some special RF input stage... , or something is out of spec.
Can't say broken because a broken core do the trick.

I bend my knees to the RF Gods.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106573 on: November 09, 2021, 09:18:29 pm »

Women are the devil. Another one bites the dust.  |O :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #106574 on: November 09, 2021, 09:18:37 pm »
just solve the problem the pommijätkät way :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf