Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16932251 times)

Robert763, Wolfgang and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106050 on: November 01, 2021, 12:47:10 pm »
"He who does not like cats, will not get a beautiful women" - chinese proverb
...make of that what you will...

I have a feeling that comes out of the same bag as "May you live in interesting times".  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #106051 on: November 01, 2021, 12:50:26 pm »
"He who does not like cats, will not get a beautiful women" - chinese proverb
...make of that what you will...

It's not working.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106052 on: November 01, 2021, 12:56:00 pm »
Just how does one re-set cats to standard time? They now turn up an hour early for everything.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Andrew_Debbie

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106053 on: November 01, 2021, 12:58:48 pm »
One point to note however: because of the precise construction of solar cell arrays they are much more sensitive to partial shading than an naïve understanding would lead one to expect.

Fully agree. A lot of installers upsell people out of this by installing "optimisers" but that's a mixed blessing, since the devices are built as usual by the lowest bidder, and without much regard to the EMI/RFI performance when installed as a system. Sure, the panel and the optimiser might work pretty well when tested as separate units, but once up on a roof with non-twisted interconnects of significant length, the situation is different. A few panel installs here have been ordered to stop operating by the authorities after they were evaluated. The inquiry usually comes as a consequence of the defence or aviation authorities noticing interference -- the noise is apparently broadband enough to interfere with aviation radio.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106054 on: November 01, 2021, 01:04:20 pm »
I suppose aviation radio is particularly vulnerable to this kind of interference because - for perfectly good reasons - they still use amplitude modulation.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106055 on: November 01, 2021, 01:04:52 pm »
NOS  NS 74188AN  PROMs showed up in today's mail.     Fingers crossed they are still good.     

I have started designing a burner partly designed around parts shortages.   I decided to use TTL and switches instead of a microcontroller.    Stay tuned.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106056 on: November 01, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
I suppose aviation radio is particularly vulnerable to this kind of interference because - for perfectly good reasons - they still use amplitude modulation.

My iCOM multi-bander in the car (aviation RX + 140->512MHz RX/TX) is very sensitive to electric cattle fence systems when listening to airband, for instance.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106057 on: November 01, 2021, 01:17:19 pm »
I have started designing a burner partly designed around parts shortages.   I decided to use TTL and switches instead of a microcontroller.    Stay tuned.

Heh, heh.

Perhaps this will start a brief resurgence in proper logic design rather than "Sod it! Just throw a microprocessor at it. Who cares if it's overkill or that most EEs can't program their way out of a wet paper bag".

I doubt it will though because the board area taken up by discrete logic is horrendous by modern standards. You could throw an FPGA/CPLD at it instead, but I know from my pathetic attempts to find a handful at the moment that they are unobtainium too.

(Aside: Just got an Indian "Tech Support" scam call during this. Spoke German to them. That buggered them.)

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106058 on: November 01, 2021, 01:30:46 pm »
I doubt it will though because the board area taken up by discrete logic is horrendous by modern standards. You could throw an FPGA/CPLD at it instead, but I know from my pathetic attempts to find a handful at the moment that they are unobtainium too.

I still have a number of MC68705 (MCU with integrated EPROM) if anyone has any use for them.

(Aside: Just got an Indian "Tech Support" scam call during this. Spoke German to them. That buggered them.)

They've become a real pest, here. Just wait for the funny noise and the typically Indian 'Hello?' and then jump in with this one:

"Hello and welcome to the gay and lesbian helpline. Do your family know that you are gay (lesbian) or would you like help with your coming-out?"

They'll hang up within a microsecond.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:33:50 pm by Neper »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #106059 on: November 01, 2021, 01:41:02 pm »
Thank you for ordering our kaishaku service. We trust your affairs are in order. Please be sure to have cleansed yourself properly and are dressed in white. A representative will be with you in a moment.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106060 on: November 01, 2021, 01:52:05 pm »
"Ötvenegy nulla hat negyven!" also works very nicely in all situations from Indian scammers to local beggars. Repeat insistently, if required. 

What it means? 51 06 40 - the P.O. Box number of the former Hungarian service of Radio Deutsche Welle.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #106061 on: November 01, 2021, 02:09:22 pm »
Just how does one re-set cats to standard time? They now turn up an hour early for everything.

The correct question is how does one re-set standard time to cat time?

Madam, Missy and their boyfriends become tripping hazards if they are not fed at before the appropriate cat time.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106062 on: November 01, 2021, 03:04:02 pm »
I am notoriously clumsy and our cats know to keep out of my way.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106063 on: November 01, 2021, 03:17:10 pm »

Heh, heh.

I spot checked a few ATMega parts with an on-board USB controller  (32U4, 16U4...) and they are scarce.     

I've got a spare Elite-C [https://deskthority.net/wiki/Elite-C  that could program the thing  with little more than a boost converter and an FET or two to switch the program voltage.

I haven't committed to anything yet.   The TTL design  came to me when I was looking at the 5100 schematic. 

I also found a manual programmer on the web that works one bit at a time.  ....

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:19:32 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106064 on: November 01, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »
I spot checked a few ATMega parts with an on-board USB controller  (32U4, 16U4...) and they are scarce.     

I thought I had a spare 32U4 in my parts box that I'd have gladly sent you, but I checked and it turns out it's a humble 328.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #106065 on: November 01, 2021, 03:54:11 pm »

I ate all the Peanut Ms.   *twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*

mnem
*sooo ready to go back on the keto*   
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106066 on: November 01, 2021, 04:07:07 pm »
Yeah, I get that too from time to time, but overall, they do compensate in other ways, they are great company, one is more of a techno cat, she loves computer screens, in fact anything with a screen on and can play games or interesting videos, and she's there, and she is so predictable when it comes to putting them to bed at night. She is also very vocal and loves to talk to us.

From "time to time" rather than continuously? Probably means that they're building up to something. You'll better get yourself a copy of this book, before it it too late.

She is also very vocal and loves to talk to us.

You do understand that is an unrelenting string of orders, don't you? Orders that you appear to be ignoring. Again, I refer you to the previous volume while you still have time to save yourself.

;)

Not in the slightest bit true, she just loves to greet us in the morning, or when we have been out somewhere. Sometimes she is in the window watching for the car to turn into the street, then she goes to the front door and greets us before going back to her bed  ^-^
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #106067 on: November 01, 2021, 04:08:49 pm »
"Ötvenegy nulla hat negyven!" also works very nicely in all situations from Indian scammers to local beggars. Repeat insistently, if required. 

What it means? 51 06 40 - the P.O. Box number of the former Hungarian service of Radio Deutsche Welle.

Also a classic: Your hovercraft is full of eels !  :palm: >:D 8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:24:57 pm by Wolfgang »

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Andrew_Debbie

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #106068 on: November 01, 2021, 04:15:19 pm »

Heh, heh.

I've got a spare Elite-C [https://deskthority.net/wiki/Elite-C  that could program the thing  with little more than a boost converter and an FET or two to switch the program voltage.

I haven't committed to anything yet.   The TTL design  came to me when I was looking at the 5100 schematic. 

I also found a manual programmer on the web that works one bit at a time.  ....

Surprisingly, last week I just received a couple of SOCs with Nordic ARM microprocessor and Broadcom WiFi.
However, take a close look at the shipping date...  :scared:
Luckily, I was in no rush at the time as these were ordered to use up a credit.

EDIT:  It was the SOCs with Nordic that did not work out, hence they owed me the credit.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106069 on: November 01, 2021, 04:48:24 pm »

I thought I had a spare 32U4 in my parts box that I'd have gladly sent you, but I checked and it turns out it's a humble 328.

Well thank you.    What has the world come to?  Are we creeping towards a  Wiliam Gibson  dystopian present?    (in 2015 Gibson wrote The Peripheral, set largely 70 years after a slow moving collapse -  He sort of predicted what is happening now)

=====

There are plenty of  Pro Micros and other similar 32u4 boards out there.   I like the Elite-C  because it brings out more pins than a pro micro and it has a USB-C.   120 in local (UK) stock...   

I'm sure I can get parts to make a burner, I just have to be a little creative. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:56:50 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106070 on: November 01, 2021, 04:58:30 pm »
   I ate all the Peanut Ms.   *twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*

mnem
*sooo ready to go back on the keto*   
Feeling almost human draconic now...  I ate avian pre-hatchlings scorched in boiling vegetable fat along with shredded bits of pig stuffed in its own intestines. Washed that down with a large vessel of bitter caffeinated tropical shrub-seeds ground into small particles and infused in boiling water.

yum.

mnem
yes, you may touch it.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106071 on: November 01, 2021, 05:09:50 pm »
Well Scheiße  |O, lost the two (defective) Agilent scopes to someone that bit a day ago 20 something EUR, because Gixen failed me :(  :palm:
merde'!

Please elucidate... how exactly did Gixen fail...? Genuine curiosity, as I've never had a Gix fail other than due to user error...  :o

mnem
*too much blood in my caffeine circulatory system*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106072 on: November 01, 2021, 05:11:28 pm »
Just had a prime example of the cussedness of cats.
(SNIP)
I now (perhaps 60-90 seconds after the first time) walk back towards the top of the stairs, this time balancing coffee etc. Madam immediately trots downstairs with an over-the-shoulder look that says "What kept you, slave?". I would swear that she calculates "What would be the most inconvenient moment in this whole sequence when I tell the slave what I want, and that I want it now?".
"I am perfection incarnate; Adore me now, dammitt!!" generally covers any situation where one is owned by a feline. :-DD

mnem
*cat nudges hand of sleeping human* "Petting machine... ACTIVATE!"

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106073 on: November 01, 2021, 05:21:19 pm »
Well Scheiße  |O, lost the two (defective) Agilent scopes to someone that bit a day ago 20 something EUR, because Gixen failed me :(  :palm:
merde'!

Please elucidate... how exactly did Gixen fail...? Genuine curiosity, as I've never had a Gix fail other than due to user error...  :o

mnem
*too much blood in my caffeine circulatory system*

Well, I was looking as seconds pass, and didn't see my bid commning and the the auction ended, in the Gixen bids list I've got "Unknown Error 3" and the "No error log can be found". It's a first for me as well, but mensch, there were TWO Agilent DSO hackable scopes  |O |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106074 on: November 01, 2021, 05:23:53 pm »
They've become a real pest, here. Just wait for the funny noise and the typically Indian 'Hello?' and then jump in with this one:

"Hello and welcome to the gay and lesbian helpline. Do your family know that you are gay (lesbian) or would you like help with your coming-out?"

They'll hang up within a microsecond.

"Oh good... you have a computer! Can you tell me how to use them...? No, wait a second; let me get a pencil and paper..."

"Oh... awesome; you're just in time for my monthly missionary work. Can you spare a moment for the teachings of Xenu...? The body-Thetans are especially strong this time of year..."

"Ooooooh, baby... that's right... lick it right there. Noooo.... bite it. HARD! *moaaaannnnn* *BAA-AAHH-AAHH-AAHH-BLEEAAAAAAT!*

mnem
*certifiable antisocial ornery old git*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf