Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16961419 times)

factory, Vince and 84 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104775 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:08 pm »
[..]And now that I think of it... your new aftermarket packs may have the inverse problem: low enough IR to be able to draw too much current from a charging circuit that isn't designed for modern high-current NiMH cells.

I guess that would be easy enough to rule out or confirm, by adding a low value resistor in series with the pack to artificially increase IR ?

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104776 on: October 15, 2021, 07:48:45 pm »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #104777 on: October 15, 2021, 07:51:22 pm »
Well, this one will be gone quick I guess (NAWTS)
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-mini-oszilloskop-211/1902327855-168-4452

why do you post stuff like this ? You force me to write an offer to the seller.
Shame on you !

Let's see if he accepts ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104778 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:33 pm »

[Tek 317] Pretty tidy Vince, any signs of previous rework ?

Oops bit late in replying sorry.

I had a quick look around, no obvious signs of rework. All the black/red Sprague electrolytic caps are still in place, and I can't see any sign of rework on any of the ceramic strips. It all looks stock to me exxxxxcept for one thing : I didn't notice it immediately because the input UHF connector wears a BNC-UHF adapter, but when I removed the adapter I could see the UHF connector and it looks brand spanking new. The dielectric piece in it is a sparkling white, shiny as new. The other two UHF connectors are as they always are on these old Tek scopes, a vomiting ugly dark brown semi transparent plastic dielectric. However when I look at the back of the "new" UHF connector, I don't see any obvious sign of it having been worked on... the solder joint  looks factory.... so either the BNC adapter was installed from day one, never removed and it kept the dielectric from aging, or the connector was replaced very early in the life of the scope for whatever reason (accident/physical damage...) and therefore has the same "patina" as the other solder joints in the scope.

Anyhoo 20 of these scopes and first time I see this, so was kinda surprised...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:33:59 pm by Vince »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104779 on: October 15, 2021, 07:58:11 pm »
oh woe is meeee
I coinorhaged again.

Metro had Arcade1up sale. Got a PacMan Legacy (12 games), was able to flip my PacMan 2 games for almost the same price. I offered it too cheap ... lost 30 bucks and it was gone in about 10 minutes ...

Festool hose arrived ...
this one:
https://www.contorion.de/p/festool-saugschlauch-plug-it-63730288?$ps=1&length_mm=3500&simple_sku=91330679&aid=383268462461&targetid=pla-827018648796&gclid=CjwKCAjwzaSLBhBJEiwAJSRokuzBwrRsQPVp03CNZN7qBmdxV28Uj0UrTaf805Q-ZtSNleogHUFethoC2icQAvD_BwE
however in a Systainer.

Festool DTS400 delta sander in systainer should be on its way. Tomorrow a friend of mine should obtain the Festool ETS EC150/5 for me.

I am coinorhaging heavily ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104780 on: October 15, 2021, 08:09:45 pm »

[Tek 317] Pretty tidy Vince, any signs of previous rework ?

Oops bit late in replying sorry.

I had a quick look around, no obvious signs of rework. All the black/red Sprague electrolytic caps are still in place, and I can't see any sign of rework on any of the ceramic strips. It all looks stock to me exxxxxcept for one thing : I didn't notice it immediately because the input UHF connector wears a BNC-UHF adapter, but when I removed the adapter I could see the UHF connector and it looks brand spanking new. The dielectric piece in it is a sparkling white, shiny as new. The other two UHF connectors are as they always are on these old Tek scopes, a vomiting ugly dark brown semi transparent plastic dielectric. However when I look at the back of the "new" UHF connector, I don't see any obvious sign of it having been worked on... the solder joint  looks factory.... so either the BNC adapter was installed from day one, never removed and it kept the dielectric from aging, or the connector was replaced very early in the life of the scope for whatever reason (accident/physical damage...) and therefore has the same "patina" as the other solder joints in the scope.

Anyhoo 20 of these scope and first time I see this, so was kinda surprised...
Oh a minter then, great find that some gorilla hasn't been at this one. For sure that adapter has been fitted since early on and preserved the dielectric.  :-+

Which leads to the next question knowing how anal Vince can be......replacement of any/all rusty nuts and bolts ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104781 on: October 15, 2021, 08:16:54 pm »
Has anyone heard from Chris (bd) lately?  :-//

I miss the (insert British term of endearment) cunt.  :P :-DD
Not a squeak ! Normally pops into Discord for a chat but didn't even do that so I'm guessing he may have found some new redhead bd140 to use all his spare time.  ;D

I'll pop him mail and see if he's still sucking air.
Nailed it ! ^^^  :-DD
Yep BD seems great but time poor.
Shhhh... I think that's a large part of why bd isn't in here lately; he knows he can't lay off the batshit crazy redhead jokes, and he doesn't wanna spoil it when she magically appears looking over his shoulder unnoticed for Ifni knows how long, as they always do... :-DD

mnem
It's worse than you think: they they have the ability to see through your eyes...  :o
Well what concerns me more is the resultant sum of the betas of this new BD140 paired with our known high beta BD139.  :-DD

High gains might have this one sticking around.  :popcorn:

BD reckons she owns a DMM so there's a chance he's hit the jackpot and I really hope he has. No mention of hair color .........yet !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104782 on: October 15, 2021, 08:23:54 pm »
Well, this one will be gone quick I guess (NAWTS)
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-mini-oszilloskop-211/1902327855-168-4452

why do you post stuff like this ? You force me to write an offer to the seller.
Shame on you !

Let's see if he accepts ...

That looks brand new. Mine has had a lot of use and sort of beat up.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104783 on: October 15, 2021, 08:39:29 pm »
Just did some research and realised the OKI/Metcal the Dwagon guilted me in to buying may have a tip availablity problem.
The original PHT tips seem to be discontinued. They used a CA-1 coil. The later SFV tips fit a CA-2 or CA-3 coil. The CA2 will fit the original handle but is also discontinued. So depending on what coil it has I may have to either scrounge around for tips or fork out £80 for a PS-HC3 handle and coil  :scared:
Will have to wait and see what arrives.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104784 on: October 15, 2021, 08:43:37 pm »

Not into mad money. Yet. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393625354266

Display's cream crackered. Compare to a healthy HP VFD next to another TrueVolt meter.

A trifle rushed and overexposed but I think it's clear that VFD is several orders of magnitude brighter than the one on that 34401A.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:45:25 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104785 on: October 15, 2021, 08:44:15 pm »
Oh a minter then, great find that some gorilla hasn't been at this one. For sure that adapter has been fitted since early on and preserved the dielectric.  :-+

Which leads to the next question knowing how anal Vince can be......replacement of any/all rusty nuts and bolts ?  :popcorn:

No comment....  :-X

....I've replaced most of the rusty nuts in the hp 207A, apart from four I've decided are inaccessible.

Remember bumble-bombs matter, must be an audiophool that will buy these fully matured ones from me, that I've just replaced with yellow jackets.  :-DD

Not sure I want to remove the rusty terminal strip, the transformer & associated wring would require removing to access the rivets. Might just clean the rust off and fit another ground tag to one of the transformer fixings.

Before pictures here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3713104/#msg3713104

David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:46:53 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104786 on: October 15, 2021, 08:46:32 pm »
ok, I am to pickup the little Tek to give it a good new home.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104787 on: October 15, 2021, 08:56:34 pm »
Just did some research and realised the OKI/Metcal the Dwagon guilted me in to buying may have a tip availablity problem.
The original PHT tips seem to be discontinued. They used a CA-1 coil. The later SFV tips fit a CA-2 or CA-3 coil. The CA2 will fit the original handle but is also discontinued. So depending on what coil it has I may have to either scrounge around for tips or fork out £80 for a PS-HC3 handle and coil  :scared:

I looked at their sold listings/feedback & noticed a lot of soldering equipment, wonder if they have been getting reductant equipment from Siemens, as their location is Congleton.  :-//

David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:58:08 pm by factory »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104788 on: October 15, 2021, 08:57:56 pm »
For page 4192, we have a Hewlett Packard 4192A LF Impedance Analyzer in a three way shootout of LCR meters:

I gave the UNI-T to a friend not too long after this picture.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:13:11 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, 0culus, AVGresponding, Peter_O

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104789 on: October 15, 2021, 08:59:45 pm »
A silent key on Ebay Germany.
Lots of crap, but among other things:
Old HP generator (I've hear that some people like them for whatever reasons)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/363552027492

JAN2K25 Klystrons
https://www.ebay.de/itm/363552115950

Asks ridiculous prices for real crap, but those seem almost normal. :-//

Not connected, a Tek 5000 series with modules from Pacific Measurements:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/123841949593
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 01:58:28 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #104790 on: October 15, 2021, 09:28:13 pm »
For page 4192, we have a Hewlett Packard 4192A LF Impedance Analyzer in a three way shootout of LCR meters:

I gave the UNI-T to a friend not too long after this picture.

What's the test fixture in use?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104791 on: October 15, 2021, 10:28:17 pm »
Ok, hang on to your wallets, ebay list time!   :-DD

This made way more than I expected. I hope the winning bidder didn't misread, and think they were getting the world's cheapest ever...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304171563959

Crazy, this is the amount I would pay for a complete unit. I'm too cheap I would probably never get one of those  :(

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104792 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:24 pm »
Thanks.   Not bad for £25 and another £20 in parts.    I don't count the time I spent fixing it because that was fun

I was surprised how good the specs are.   I was even more surprised that the 10VDC range is still in spec.

100GΩ input impedance on the 200V range!   :scared:

This thing must have been a small fortune when new!

Interesting, is this a typo ?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104793 on: October 15, 2021, 11:30:56 pm »
Thanks.   Not bad for £25 and another £20 in parts.    I don't count the time I spent fixing it because that was fun

I was surprised how good the specs are.   I was even more surprised that the 10VDC range is still in spec.

I think that this is intended to mean 100M \$\Omega\$.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104794 on: October 15, 2021, 11:36:48 pm »

I think that this is intended to mean 100M \$\Omega\$.

Would definitely make more sense. My Keithley 619 is able to do 20T\$\Omega\$ at 200V. But it's an Electrometer.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104795 on: October 15, 2021, 11:45:03 pm »

I doubt it's a typo. Easily achieved with a bootstrapped input amp.

Run of the mill spec for decent multimeters nowadays is ">10G input impedance" but they don't specify how much "greater than". In practice it's often in the T \$\Omega\$ region but >10G \$\Omega\$ is all they'll be prepared to guarantee because testing input leakage currents at that level is time consuming and therefore expensive. Measured input leakage current on my 34461A is on the close order of 3-4 pA at 0V (and knowing the architecture, which among other things has a bootstrapped input amp, will be pretty constant and not alter much with respect to input voltage). At 10V that would be  2.5 T \$\Omega\$.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104796 on: October 15, 2021, 11:53:45 pm »

Run of the mill spec for decent multimeters nowadays is ">10G input impedance" but they don't specify how much "greater than". In practice it's often in the T \$\Omega\$ region but >10G \$\Omega\$ is all they'll be prepared to guarantee because testing input leakage currents at that level is time consuming and therefore expensive. Measured input leakage current on my 34461A is on the close order of 3-4 pA at 0V (and knowing the architecture, which among other things has a bootstrapped input amp, will be pretty constant and not alter much with respect to input voltage). At 10V that would be  2.5 T \$\Omega\$.

On most older dmm high input impedance is only at something like 30V and less depending of the DMM and ranges. My Prema 5017 drop at 10M\$\Omega\$ at 30V :scared:

Edit: just checked the Keithley DMM6500, DMM7510, Keysight 3458a, and on the 100V range they drop at 10M\$\Omega\$. I'm not sure it's that common to keep the high impedance input on the high voltage ranges. Electrometers always had a bootstrapped intput amp, so they are able to keep the high input impedance. DMMs on the other hand, normally have voltage divider.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:10:09 am by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104797 on: October 16, 2021, 12:07:46 am »

What did you used exactly to measure 4 pA ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104798 on: October 16, 2021, 12:23:42 am »

Awww... fudge. If I'd realized, I wouldn't have posted so desperately. Haven't been shopping new Oki/Metcal for a while. :-[ Hopefully you can score an appropriate handle at a sane price used.

Tho, for the price, if that comes with the sleeper stand, still good just for that. My experiment with a homebrew sleeper stand indicates at least the MX-500 is pretty forgiving re: sensing the magnet.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104799 on: October 16, 2021, 12:24:36 am »
Has anyone heard from Chris (bd) lately?  :-//

I miss the (insert British term of endearment) cunt.  :P :-DD
Not a squeak ! Normally pops into Discord for a chat but didn't even do that so I'm guessing he may have found some new redhead bd140 to use all his spare time.  ;D

I'll pop him mail and see if he's still sucking air.
Nailed it ! ^^^  :-DD
Yep BD seems great but time poor.
Shhhh... I think that's a large part of why bd isn't in here lately; he knows he can't lay off the batshit crazy redhead jokes, and he doesn't wanna spoil it when she magically appears looking over his shoulder unnoticed for Ifni knows how long, as they always do... :-DD

mnem
It's worse than you think: they they have the ability to see through your eyes...  :o
Well what concerns me more is the resultant sum of the betas of this new BD140 paired with our known high beta BD139.  :-DD

High gains might have this one sticking around.  :popcorn:

BD reckons she owns a DMM so there's a chance he's hit the jackpot and I really hope he has. No mention of hair color .........yet !  :-DD
Maybe thats why he is selling a lot of TE, she has more and better stuff  >:D :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf