Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16705190 times)

ddrl46, Kosmic, dustooff and 113 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104325 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:09 am »
Discord, I might be there tonight, it all depends on my progress here rebuilding all of programs and data on the PC after I somehow or other, managed to wipe my boot drive while trying to rescue some micro SD cards that had errors on them  :palm: At least I did remember that it was Saturday today, thats the problem once you retire, each day is much the same as any other day in as much as I can do whatever I want, when I want, but the down side is that its easy to forget what bleeding day it is.  :-DD

Anyway, does anyone know of a good program (free if possible) that will solve my SD card issues? I have taken a card out of an old dash cam and another from an old compact camera in order to wipe them clean and use them to extend the storeage space in my Android phone. It has 64Gb built-in memory but I'd like to add another 32 or 64Gb of storage to move the seldom used apps onto, to free up more of the faster ram for data.

Each time I try to format the cards, they go through the process of formatting and when completed, the old files are still there  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104326 on: October 09, 2021, 11:44:13 am »

Dave has a D'oh! moment... guess he shoulda done the daveCAD before he pulled a " 'ere, 'old me Foster's an'n watch this!"

mnem
 :-DD
Yep, saw that one the other day, just goes to show we all have our days when Murphy gets yeh  :-DD

Nope haven't done that before..... cough cough ..... Compaq server PSU ..... cough cough.   :-DD
It had a pair of slightly cooked resistors and I didn't bother moving the Beckman 350 to a higher range, I got a nice blue flash out of it though.  >:D

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #104327 on: October 09, 2021, 12:05:50 pm »
Yeah....   I'm admitting nothing on this subject.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104328 on: October 09, 2021, 12:34:03 pm »
The 212 mini is done. Tants replaced and all controls deoxit'ed. I did a quick check of major calibration points and they are acceptable as is. I was warned that getting the case back together would be a nightmare. They weren't kidding. An hour and a half later it's back together.  :phew: I hope to never have to take it apart again.

But as a whole was a fun little project. Next is to rip back into the Type 547. The intermittent sweep issue has reared it's ugly head again.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104329 on: October 09, 2021, 12:55:27 pm »
Nice works and KUDOS, but you might have taken the opportunity to de-burr the frame around the screen. Still looks like something from the Soviet Union.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104330 on: October 09, 2021, 01:08:07 pm »
Nice works and KUDOS, but you might have taken the opportunity to de-burr the frame around the screen. Still looks like something from the Soviet Union.

It's an ugly duckling even de-burred and will remain as is. And yes, agreed. Tek took styling queues from the Russians.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104331 on: October 09, 2021, 01:10:45 pm »
Back from the ham, electronics and broadcast rummage sale. 60€ lighter - the stuff below heavier  :-DD

Different mixers, two HP MMIC, an Motorola MWA-230 MMIC, a 10khz wide 10.7MHz crystal filter, a mystery hungarian "modulator", three TRACO 18V to +-12V switcher modules, various SMA bits and bobs, 5 to 18pF trim capacitors, an RAM upgrade for my scope (got 2 sticks for safety), and the glass tube thingys are (hopefully very high Q) ~70kHz crystal resonators.

Edit:
Curiosity got the better of me - had to know what is inside the "Modulator".  :-/O
Also, I am now sad that I did not buy another one to keep in it's original vintage glory  :-\
Originally figured it might be an AM modulator thingy - but it turn's out it's also a DBM...
like I haven't bought enough of them already today  :-DD

Beautiful construction, do these look like HP diodes to you?!?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:40:25 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic, syau, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104332 on: October 09, 2021, 02:43:47 pm »
Discord, I might be there tonight, it all depends on my progress here rebuilding all of programs and data on the PC after I somehow or other, managed to wipe my boot drive while trying to rescue some micro SD cards that had errors on them  :palm: At least I did remember that it was Saturday today, thats the problem once you retire, each day is much the same as any other day in as much as I can do whatever I want, when I want, but the down side is that its easy to forget what bleeding day it is.  :-DD

Anyway, does anyone know of a good program (free if possible) that will solve my SD card issues? I have taken a card out of an old dash cam and another from an old compact camera in order to wipe them clean and use them to extend the storeage space in my Android phone. It has 64Gb built-in memory but I'd like to add another 32 or 64Gb of storage to move the seldom used apps onto, to free up more of the faster ram for data.

Each time I try to format the cards, they go through the process of formatting and when completed, the old files are still there  :wtf:

And you didn't just let the phone format the cards because...? :o

However... a more useful answer to your question would be:   https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

Use the "zero drive" option, just as if the SD card had previously been euckered by a MemTest86 install. See process here: https://superuser.com/questions/547602/remove-memtest-from-usb

As always; use extra care with forensic instruments like this! It will Nuke & Pave whatever storage device you point it at, so be double-damned sure... triple-damned sure even... that you point it at the right one!

mnem
Good hunting! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:58:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104333 on: October 09, 2021, 02:55:20 pm »
Alright, I just woke up from 10 hours of sleep, it's raining and the forecast calling for that to continue the rest of the day has scrapped plans for continuing the fall cleanup in the back yard and a barbecue with one of my friends.

Plan B is to get cleaned up and go out for breakfast because I'm starving and I don't feel like cooking, hit the post office, do the food shopping and then head back home.  What would be a good use of a crummy, rainy October day off on the Thanksgiving long weekend?  Head downstairs to the shop and get to work on some of the test equipment that's been waiting for attention for far too long.  If everything goes to plan, I should be posting pictures later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104334 on: October 09, 2021, 03:07:51 pm »
Back to the Dana 5100 DMM. 

CD4016 switches U3C and U3D were both open circuit dead.  Another one was suspect.   Replacing all the 4016s fixed the switches but not the meter.

Then I went to America, caught covid and the 5100 sat for a month.   Today I was back to systematic troubleshooting.    AR5 output is a flat line despite the input now doing something that that should result in an output pulse.

The TO-99  package LM311H is still in active production.  Surprised.   TI has stock, but NOS from Silicon Arc was less expensive.   I've found far to much dead silicon to be sure replacing the comparator will get the meter working but we can hope.   

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:13:44 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104335 on: October 09, 2021, 03:39:00 pm »
I thought this was interesting for size comparison. Tek first "portable" all transistor battery operated scope vs the 212.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, Neper

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #104336 on: October 09, 2021, 04:00:03 pm »
Replace a tantalum capacitor, complete the repair, a beautiful machine.  Includes a probe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:02:41 pm by jxjbsd »
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104337 on: October 09, 2021, 04:01:30 pm »
I thought this was interesting for size comparison. Tek first "portable" all transistor battery operated scope vs the 212.

It definitely has a charm of its own - burrs and all. But what are the two metal things below the screen frame?
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104338 on: October 09, 2021, 04:13:24 pm »

And you didn't just let the phone format the cards because...? :o

However... a more useful answer to your question would be:   https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

Use the "zero drive" option, just as if the SD card had previously been euckered by a MemTest86 install. See process here: https://superuser.com/questions/547602/remove-memtest-from-usb

As always; use extra care with forensic instruments like this! It will Nuke & Pave whatever storage device you point it at, so be double-damned sure... triple-damned sure even... that you point it at the right one!

mnem
Thanks, this looks as if its doing the job, but then again, I've there before  :palm: I did the wipe/format on the PC because thats how I have done it before. Both cards were supposed to be readable etc on a PC as they came from a camera and a dashcam, saving standard .jpg and .mov files and it has always worked OK before. If I put the cards in the phone, the phone sees them and can read them but cannot write to the cards as they are full from their previous devices. I'm about 45% of the way through zeroing a 32Gb card so will know for sure if it works OK soon.

Edit.

Nope, didn't work, it went all the way through the process as if it was working, but all the files are still there. Next I tried to delete them, again gave the impression it was working, gave the normal all done message, but the files are still there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:47:52 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104339 on: October 09, 2021, 04:28:53 pm »
Here's a question.
This thing worth it for the price? Tek 287 pulse gen for about US$90 all up, no power cord.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u1011113035

The 212 mini is done. Tants replaced and all controls deoxit'ed. I did a quick check of major calibration points and they are acceptable as is. I was warned that getting the case back together would be a nightmare. They weren't kidding. An hour and a half later it's back together.  :phew: I hope to never have to take it apart again.

But as a whole was a fun little project. Next is to rip back into the Type 547. The intermittent sweep issue has reared it's ugly head again.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmZCrATKj
https://imageshack.com/i/pnZt1hIej

Did you do the rectifier replacement service upgrade?
I show it in the video I made of mine in my youtube channel.

I'm sure I have some spare PCB's I could send your way if you want to open the thing up again. :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:31:02 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104340 on: October 09, 2021, 04:32:53 pm »

It definitely has a charm of its own - burrs and all. But what are the two metal things below the screen frame?

I think they were the attach points for a strap which I don't have.

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104341 on: October 09, 2021, 04:34:32 pm »
Here's a question.
This thing worth it for the price? Tek 287 pulse gen for about US$90 all up, no power cord.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmZCrATKj
https://imageshack.com/i/pnZt1hIej

Did you do the rectifier replacement service upgrade?
I show it in the video I made of mine in my youtube channel.

I'm sure I have some spare PCB's I could send your way if you want to open the thing up again. :D

No, I forgot all about the rectifier upgrade. Oh well.  :palm:

I'm not opening again unless it craps out.  |O :-DD

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104342 on: October 09, 2021, 05:14:50 pm »
Here's a question.

A bit expensive I think. The only interesting feature is the 70ps Pulse. The rest is standard now these days. And you need to find some adapters for those horrid Genrad connectors.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:16:46 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104343 on: October 09, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »

mnem
Thanks, this looks as if its doing the job, but then again, I've there before  :palm: I did the wipe/format on the PC because thats how I have done it before. Both cards were supposed to be readable etc on a PC as they came from a camera and a dashcam, saving standard .jpg and .mov files and it has always worked OK before. If I put the cards in the phone, the phone sees them and can read them but cannot write to the cards as they are full from their previous devices. I'm about 45% of the way through zeroing a 32Gb card so will know for sure if it works OK soon.

Edit.

Nope, didn't work, it went all the way through the process as if it was working, but all the files are still there. Next I tried to delete them, again gave the impression it was working, gave the normal all done message, but the files are still there.

I'd then be concerned aboot the USB port or the card reader you're using. Do you have another PC to try the nuke/pave on...?

Alternately, could be a permissions/ownership thing with Windoze.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104344 on: October 09, 2021, 05:57:57 pm »
Here's a question.

A bit expensive I think. The only interesting feature is the 70ps Pulse. The rest is standard now these days. And you need to find some adapters for those horrid Genrad connectors.

Huh... I was thinking yes, as a period piece and for the immaculate condition; 90% of the restoration work is already done. Plus, it appears to even have the bails/feet and not cracked out into little crumbly horrors. :-//

mnem

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104345 on: October 09, 2021, 06:23:08 pm »
I already have a GR to female BNC adapter looking for a purpose in its retirement years, so I'm sorted there... :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104346 on: October 09, 2021, 06:44:54 pm »
Spec
Quick Format vs Full Format ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104347 on: October 09, 2021, 06:57:45 pm »
Here's a question.
This thing worth it for the price? Tek 287 284 pulse gen for about US$90 all up, no power cord.

Huh... I was thinking yes, as a period piece and for the immaculate condition; 90% of the restoration work is already done. Plus, it appears to even have the bails/feet and not cracked out into little crumbly horrors. :-//

mnem

Corrected the model number and yes the price is typical of what people pay over here for crusty poor condition Tek stuff, at least I keep getting outbid on them, last one I attempted to buy was a 109.

Isn't the power cord a regular one, used as an extension lead in the US?

No problem with Genrad connectors here, got a set of adaptors.  :-+

David
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:00:00 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #104348 on: October 09, 2021, 07:09:47 pm »
Discord is up and full of talk about rat piss, cow slurry, and SMU's. TEA FTW
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104349 on: October 09, 2021, 07:24:04 pm »
Here is the Tek 109 I failed to buy, it made £97  :o, quite a bit of corrosion, even the ground pin of the mains inlet is rusty.

If anyone is wondering, "LLL" on the front is the badge of importer Livingston Laboratories Ltd, they supplied both Tek & hp TE.

And someone has finally decided they wanted those cut off Tek probes.  :palm:

David
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:30:04 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf