Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16713216 times)

factory, dew and 67 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103750 on: September 29, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
Wow, another GOULD 1604 ?! Are they all coming out of the woods or what ?!

Quite obviously. There's still some sawdust in the fan on the rear of this one.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103751 on: September 29, 2021, 07:54:36 pm »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103752 on: September 29, 2021, 07:57:53 pm »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #103753 on: September 29, 2021, 08:08:31 pm »
Exploded you say? You haven't by any chance being using "Mr. Smith" of Twickenham's super secret design for a capacitor tester?   >:D

just a way of outlining the drama.

"Did you get your precious fotos ?"
Someone was there ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #103754 on: September 29, 2021, 08:09:28 pm »
I am to pickup an old Gould (?) scope that the owner just wanted to get rid of. I said I'd save it for the bemusement of the TEA channel ...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #103755 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:02 pm »

mnem
*huggles his 189 close*

Bah.

I have enough hammers, thanks.   >:D

mnem
 :-/O

Perhaps, but this is a hammer that can also measure voltage, current, and resistance, so it doubles as a meter.  And you can never have too many meters.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #103756 on: September 29, 2021, 08:14:45 pm »
My microphone multicable project is progressing slowly.

Beauty!

Which reminds me I need to buy some XLR cable and some neutrik XLR female male to make my own audio cable,
any suggestion on digikey or mouser?

Yes XLR is sexy....

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103757 on: September 29, 2021, 08:37:56 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #217: Screen Door Striker   

https://a360.co/39OL5TC

Just what it says; fixing the ripped screen and found I didn't have a striker for the front screen door, so it doesn't latch tight. A little measuring showed the usual ~13mm high strikers would barely catch, so designed this to fit exactly in the existing space so it butts up against the screen-door frame for strength. Took 20 minutes to get it designed and printing, including setting up the printer which was just sitting in the corner after the move. Less time than going to the hardware store and back.

Cura says 2.2 hours to print and ~61¢ worth of filament. I'll post pics of it IRL when printing is done. ;)

mnem
As always, details and 3DP nerd-stats are over here in the 3DP thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg3718672/#msg3718672

I love a nice boring print that just fits. w00t! now it's a actual screen door that works, not just an eyesore I have to pass through every time I go in the house. ;)

But on cleaning the glass... D'OH!!! :palm: Fortunately, a few minutes with my Dremel and a few dabs with a Q-Tip dipped in paint sorted that proper. ;)

mnem
Now... back to the HW store because some jackhole stole the "install kit" from my second screen repair kit and now I don't have the rubber spline I need to fix the screen on the patio door... |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103758 on: September 29, 2021, 08:50:27 pm »

mnem
*huggles his 189 close*
   Bah.
   I have enough hammers, thanks.   >:D
Perhaps, but this is a hammer that can also measure voltage, current, and resistance, so it doubles as a meter. And you can never have too many meters.

-Pat

Yebbut... can you actually have ENOUGH...?   

mnem
I can neither confirm nor deny any accusations of dwagon-agitation at this time. >:D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:54:55 pm by mnementh »

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103759 on: September 29, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
Yebbut... can you actually have ENOUGH...?   

mnem
I can neither confirm nor deny any accusations of dwagon-agitation at this time. >:D
Well, how many do you use at once? Only one, usually. (Yes, there is that one story where you needed one more, but I'm talking about all the rest of the time...)
So, you see, for that one time, one will be missing anyway, always - So now it's no matter how many you have, you usually use only one - so having only one is actual perfection
Not compensating for having only one handheld meter at all...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103760 on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:54 pm »
Vince
A few pages back nylon P clips were suggested.
Did you not even bother to search for any ?
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/cable-accessories-ties-tools/cable-clips-clamps/?applied-dimensions=4294873541
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #103761 on: September 29, 2021, 10:02:51 pm »
Vince
A few pages back nylon P clips were suggested.
Did you not even bother to search for any ?
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/cable-accessories-ties-tools/cable-clips-clamps/?applied-dimensions=4294873541

LOL we went over that with Vince. All those you find are not acceptable because they don't look exactly like the original clamps.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #103762 on: September 29, 2021, 10:17:48 pm »
Beauty!

Which reminds me I need to buy some XLR cable and some neutrik XLR female male to make my own audio cable,
any suggestion on digikey or mouser?

Yes XLR is sexy....

More beauty and sexy.  ;D

Yesterday arrival: a cable for my three Solartrons 7075 which I'll pick up next month.
I've bought them last year in March. Since then they are sitting on a shelf of some friends of mine.  :palm:

The cable is the (original Solartron 7075)¹ one with the Kelvin clips:

Beautiful Fischer connector:

Sexy pins and PTFE insulation:

And the cable does have a serial number, of course!

¹not sure about this. Can somebody confirm this assumption?

Edit:
typo in URL fixed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:48:43 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, capt bullshot, wolfy007, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103763 on: September 29, 2021, 10:55:12 pm »
We know, courtesy of the session with the insulation tester last week, that the extension cord is good, so I put it to use.

It didn’t occur to me to test the hedge trimmers with it until I got them out, but it turns out that wouldn’t have been possible in much of a meaningful way since they’re double insulated with no ground.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:58:07 pm by 25 CPS »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103764 on: September 29, 2021, 10:59:00 pm »
We know, courtesy of the session with the insulation tester last week, that the extension cord is good, so I put it to use.

It didn’t occur to me to test the hedge trimmers with it until I got them out, but it turns out that wouldn’t have been possible in much of a meaningful way since they’re double insulated with no ground.
:scared:
It's not level !  :P  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103765 on: September 29, 2021, 11:40:10 pm »

As indeed modern tools should be  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103766 on: September 30, 2021, 12:01:05 am »

:scared:
It's not level !  :P  :horse:

Keeps it consistent with the rest of the place.  The number of shims wedged under the test equipment shelves behind my bench are a testament to that!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #103767 on: September 30, 2021, 12:53:49 am »
Then why make up non factual crap to defend poor performance of your adopted country and then be surprised when you get a response! You were so far away from any semblance of the truth and fact it was warranted.

So its you that needs to take that FUCKING chill pill and consider what you type and before you hit the key to post more :bullshit:

As to other peanuts COVID is NOT POLITICS it is public health

It started because you took exception to 25 CPS using the adjective "draconian" in a perfectly innocuous non-political post asking an innocent question and you overeacted and made it political by responding with an uncalled for "us and them" reply criticising both 25 CPS and Canada. Dial it back several notches please.

Reusing boilerplate text is normal so I wasn't surprised to see that statement about being able to arrange inspection of that 34401A copied and pasted into the auction or included as part of a setup template.  What surprised me, based on the first hand accounts from my childhood best friend who lives in Sydney now, is that this wouldn't be possible, but nothing was added to invite prospective buyers to arrange a substitute like being able to ask the seller to demonstrate the meter in photos or on video instead.

With respect to using the word "draconian", that's honestly the impression I've gotten from the first hand accounts I've been hearing.  My friend's suffering.  He really is.  How much TV can you watch?  How much reading can you do?  How much other stuff can you fill the time with when you're locked up at home staring at the same four walls brooding while your mind wanders?  Meanwhile, I hear about using party drugs to get away from it and fill the void as the days turn into weeks turn into months turn in to years soon, I hear about taking GHB and drinking half a bottle of champagne and popping sleeping pills to unwind enough to sleep at night.  And I understand.  You do what you need to do to survive; we both learned that a long time ago when we were kids living on the same street.  At least I can leave the house, do stuff, fill the time, live somewhat of a normal existence but when I hear from my old best friend who's been boxed in so bad for so long and everything's been taken away that there's nothing left but drugs and alcohol to cope with it, my heart breaks and it really forces some critical thinking about the collateral damage inflicted by a cost no object, ends justify the means approach to things.

While it sounds like your mate is doing it really tough Sydney is not as locked down as media and some report. Exercise is one of the permitted activities for a start (think Sydney is now a few hours a day?) Suffering from Depression and Black thoughts is way to common in us older Males regardless of COVID. From personal experience getting your fat ass out and even going for a walk for an hour or better yet get the heart rate up for a few hours works way better than any pills a Doctor can describe.

Below is from a week or so back of Bondi Beach in 'lockdown'.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103768 on: September 30, 2021, 01:51:19 am »
Uncle Bumblebutt strikes again...   

Oh for cryin' in the mud...

I just came home from the hardware store; while I was unlocking the front door, the storm door closed on my fat ass and blew the screen out. Im'o have to rescreen it again tomorrow.

mnem
That's it; you're fired.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103769 on: September 30, 2021, 01:53:18 am »
Who would have thought putting a PC and windows in a spectrum analyzer was a bad idea ?

Sometimes ago I found myself wanting some newer gears. Maybe running some version of windows, with nice UI and everything. Well I got some of those now and I'm currently living in PC hell.

Is it booting ? no of course not.

So I'm trying to upgrade the harddrive to something better than those old mechanical one prone to failure. Got a adapter, because everything is SATA now and not IDE. Which one of those is actually going to work ?

The drive is detected correctly.

Going back to Acronis True Image, now this time actually pay attention to what the software is doing. The original drive is quite simple, just 2 partitions that bootup with MBR.

Now when I copy the image on another drive Acronis Is actually converting the drive to GPT (different way of representing the master boot record), wait what  :o

Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Arrggg stupid PC and windows!!!  :rant:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 01:57:34 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, capt bullshot, wolfy007, ch_scr, FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103770 on: September 30, 2021, 03:32:51 am »
You'll need to boot from XP or a 32-bit version of Win7 and run Acronis. Then everything will work as expected.

Or are you trying to run from the Acronis bootable ISO?

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:43:37 am by mnementh »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103771 on: September 30, 2021, 04:04:55 am »
Yes I know the UK is also an island as well, but we don't want to open that can of worms again.  :-+

Nope it's not an island... there are hundreds of trucks and cars going in and out of this "island" every single day via the tunnel, as well as a constant stream of ferry boats.... I would say it's a pseudo-island !  ;D

I was thinking something similar.

So, does that make the tunnel a worm-hole?  :-DD

-- It is way after bedtime warped humour  :=\

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103772 on: September 30, 2021, 04:20:00 am »
I think I'm gonna go look ad DIY vids on replacing a window screen... try and work smarter, not harder. ;)

mnem
no, no, no, no, no... not Home Improvement!!! bad dwagon!!!

Ah, that job I did yesterday.
The tiny white fluffy puppy knocked the screen out of a patio door.  It took all of 3 minutes to put it back.

The key point is to know what size of slot is in the door/window.  Then know the thickness of the screen (I use a very heavy "animal" mesh here for good reason).
After that, choose the appropriate thickness of spline; thick enough to hold tight, but not to the point where it is too thick to install.
There are generally 4 sizes of spline in the GWN.

EDIT:  I had no idea of Uncle Bumblebutt's shenanigans when I posted that.... nice spline!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:45:42 am by cyclin_al »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #103773 on: September 30, 2021, 05:06:06 am »

Last time I've tested an extension using a hedge trimmer, the extension cord failed to resist the hedge trimmer cutting the cable. GFCI worked fine. Test passed, had to repair the cord to continue hedge trimming ;)

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #103774 on: September 30, 2021, 05:08:54 am »

Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Arrggg stupid PC and windows!!!  :rant:

Don't use "smart" tools to copy the HDD. Use an as dumb as possible tool to copy the old hard drive content to the new one sector by sector. This will completely preserve the layout etc. Best results are achieved using "dd" on a Linux box.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, scl, wolfy007, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf