Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16721774 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102850 on: September 22, 2021, 08:02:14 pm »
I performed my first recapping of old electrolytics and turned on the unit, only to find out that nothing exploded, catched fire, smelled terribly or popped!

Welcome; it sounds like you will fit in just fine :)

Be aware that RIFA capacitors are often called delayed action smoke generators for a reason. The delay can be measured in both decades (after manufacture) and hours (after power applied) :(

http://hvstuff.com/cables-wires might be useful
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:04:56 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102851 on: September 22, 2021, 08:07:52 pm »
will need to do a recap of that Nakamichi 680. Sigh ... no motivation currently.

Then of course the normal overhaul of the deck ... d'oh.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102852 on: September 22, 2021, 08:10:00 pm »
As for tablets I’m posting this from my phone in the bath. Good reading time :)

I hope the camera is completely disabled.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102853 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:31 pm »
Why do you think he created a YT channel recently ? Right now he is streaming all of it LIVE !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102854 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:30 pm »
North Korean hackers going to be disappointed when I am washing my arse crack :)

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102855 on: September 22, 2021, 08:24:59 pm »
So how come I think the lamp made of auto parts is super cool yet a lamp made of an old and obsolete AVO meter is sacrilege?  :-//

Rational explanation welcome because I don't have one.  ;D
How about if that lamp was made out of an old and obsolete Simpson meter then?

I know you think I'm dissing AVO meters. I'm not. If it were an obsolete Simpson meter the question would be the same.

But your tea still sucks and belongs in the harbor.  :P :-DD
I agree with the Avo and Simpson viewpoint but I'm afraid I cannot accept that our tea belongs in the harbour. You Merikins just don't resect the good old cup of rosey lea, (tea) and that is because judging by your comment about it belongs in the harbour, I'd say that, IMO, thats the incorrect way to make tea, here let the Brits help you out here  >:D :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102856 on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:19 pm »

It is since the injunction.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102857 on: September 22, 2021, 08:43:44 pm »
A Nal(Tl) crystal is no laughing matter. I've never used Photomultipliers (always tinkered with low energy gamma solid state and gas detectors) but I imagine that good enough light shielding will be a major problem.

I will try jellybean RG58. If it arcs, no biggie, the supply has a current limit and in the manual it proudly proclaims that it is short circuitable (new word!) without problems.

The BCN actually fits without forcing it but looking at the schematic you are right. This is quite the pain. I have a NIM HV supply I've wanted to use for some time but struggle to find a SHV cable (and I fear my dexterity isn't good enough to assemble the connector to a normal cable).

EDIT: I'm sorry  I wrote these replies from my phone. I though that clicking Reply to the message would automatically quote it but this is not the case. My bad!

I can send you a used MHV. And a SHV if I can find one without having to go into my storage unit.  The unit is pretty rammed at the moment, photo from this afternoon below. My stock of MHV and SHV connectors are in bin 56 which is about 4 rows back so it's storage bin tetris.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102858 on: September 22, 2021, 08:45:19 pm »

It is since the injunction.  :)
So that no one can see the goat in the tub?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102859 on: September 22, 2021, 08:46:44 pm »
A Nal(Tl) crystal is no laughing matter. I've never used Photomultipliers (always tinkered with low energy gamma solid state and gas detectors) but I imagine that good enough light shielding will be a major problem.

I will try jellybean RG58. If it arcs, no biggie, the supply has a current limit and in the manual it proudly proclaims that it is short circuitable (new word!) without problems.

The BCN actually fits without forcing it but looking at the schematic you are right. This is quite the pain. I have a NIM HV supply I've wanted to use for some time but struggle to find a SHV cable (and I fear my dexterity isn't good enough to assemble the connector to a normal cable).

EDIT: I'm sorry  I wrote these replies from my phone. I though that clicking Reply to the message would automatically quote it but this is not the case. My bad!

I can send you a used MHV. And a SHV if I can find one without having to go into my storage unit.  The unit is pretty rammed at the moment, photo from this afternoon below. My stock of MHV and SHV connectors are in bin 56 which is about 4 rows back so it's storage bin tetris.

And I thought I had a lot of totes filled with crap.  :phew: :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102860 on: September 22, 2021, 08:47:16 pm »
[..]here let the Brits help you out here  >:D :-DD

Well I don't like tea nor coffee or most mundane beverages, but it was nice to see that although I thought the Brits had it down to a science, it's actually easy science !  :D
At least now if I have a visitor who wants some tea I will be able to make something decent without much headache !  8)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102861 on: September 22, 2021, 08:49:06 pm »

Unless you're very disciplined TEA grows to fill all space available !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, shakalnokturn

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102862 on: September 22, 2021, 08:58:56 pm »
A loaded gun on my table certainly helped improve my negotiation skills.  J/k  :-DD

In reply to med ...

Q: "Who invented the round table?"

A: "Sir Cumference!"

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102863 on: September 22, 2021, 09:01:49 pm »
.. And then some.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoarders_(TV_series)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102864 on: September 22, 2021, 09:10:17 pm »

It's not crap when you need it. And it's all organised so I knowe where an item is. Getting to it may be another matter.....
BD, The 7603 with your name on it is half way down on the left.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102865 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:03 pm »
Hi!

This is my first post here, and it comes after many hours of drooling and such. Today I restored my first truly functional vintage piece of test equipment: a Keithley 246 High Voltage Supply.
Anyone has any good idea about a source of 3 or 4kV coaxial cable?  :)

https://www.hivolt.de/hochspannungskabel/

Another source for high voltage stuff:

https://highvoltageshop.com/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102866 on: September 22, 2021, 09:18:56 pm »
But the Imp, I remember them as being hateful little cars with an alloy rear mounted engine with little access for maintenance and had a reputation for overheating and blowing core plugs due to inadequate airflow to the engine?

The access for maintenance thing is completely true. Never had any overheating problems. I suspect the latter comes from the large number of people who modified Imp engines and then thrashed the life out of them. The Imp was briefly a successful rally car and therefore attracted exactly the crowd who do that sort of thing. The all aluminium FWMA engine was based on the Coventry Climax Featherweight which was one of the favourites of the engine tuning crowd back in its day and the same basic engine was used in a lot of 60s sports and racing cars.

I got to drive it a little bit and it was fun to drive. Lots of torque for a piddling little 875cc 1960's engine and would leave Minis choking on its dust and exhaust fumes. It was supposed to become my car but my mum snaffled it as her shopping car and I had to settle for a motorbike instead.
Yeah people always manage to overlook the obvious, rally cars are always heavily modified and almost every rally car that I seen or driven are so very clearly modified and that includes the cooling system and have extensively modified air intake to ram as much cooling air into the engine bay possible.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102867 on: September 22, 2021, 09:25:04 pm »
Ok so this thread actually made me tidy it up and file the paperwork away properly while on zoom calls  :-DD

It shall return to clusterfuck on Sunday morning  :popcorn:

Oh no ... now it's too neat. It's some kind of sign you aren't accomplishing anything. The dirty desk crowd will be coming for you. Ask me how I know.  :-DD
Of course laptops are well known for their failure rate and bd being the good engineer that he is, has even taken that into consideration and has built-in some redundancy already   :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102868 on: September 22, 2021, 09:28:17 pm »
.. And then some.

If I ever turn into a hoarder I would hope that someone would put me out of my misery.

There's a woman who I see around town who drives a green Toyota Corolla and the only available space in that car is where she sits to drive. Mounds and mounds of pure crap and garbage occupy every other available space. And it must smell delightful. I can only imagine what her house looks like.   :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102869 on: September 22, 2021, 09:32:06 pm »
North Korean hackers going to be disappointed when I am washing my arse crack :)
You know as well as I do that there's gonna be folks who get off on that... and they can't all be from Jersey.  :-DD

mnem
...or Vegas. :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #102870 on: September 22, 2021, 09:33:18 pm »
.. And then some.

If I ever turn into a hoarder I would hope that someone would put me out of my misery.

There's a woman who I see around town who drives a green Toyota Corolla and the only available space in that car is where she sits to drive. Mounds and mounds of pure crap and garbage occupy every other available space. And it must smell delightful. I can only imagine what her house looks like.   :palm:
LOL, done that with new TEA you might remember. That was a couple of shipments ago and they haven't been so large lately and another load comes in a few days.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102871 on: September 22, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »
.. And then some.

Have you ever known a hoarder that considers they have a problem?

I'm currently in the process of clearing my parents 8/16 room house. Tonight I filled 4ft high domestic waste bin with maybe 20% of my mothers clothes. It breaks my heart to junk so many useful clothes,.but I'm not prepared to pass Tineola bisselliella on to another home.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102872 on: September 22, 2021, 09:43:09 pm »
Of course laptops are well known for their failure rate and bd being the good engineer that he is, has even taken that into consideration and has built-in some redundancy already   :-DD :-DD :-DD

Actually that's data segregation between work and home. The redundancy is an identical T495 in the cupboard and Lenovo come out next business day and fix the other one on site. The work redundancy is wait for them to send me another one aka two days off  :-DD  :palm: :palm:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102873 on: September 22, 2021, 09:48:13 pm »
.. And then some.

LOL, done that with new TEA you might remember. That was a couple of shipments ago and they haven't been so large lately and another load comes in a few days.

But THAT smell is from BRAND NEW TE which is a completely other league!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102874 on: September 22, 2021, 09:50:19 pm »
As a little support to Saskia who's being dragged down that deep by Murphy that she now has to deal with a self inflicted though unwanted audio addiction.

Tonight I'm using the TE rather than collecting it, working on a revolutionary free energy device Pioneer CT-720 direct drive cassette deck that has been in my way since I picked it from the dumpster about 2 years ago.... Finally looked at the second hand prices and gave it some attention.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, factory

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf