Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17498251 times)

Robert763, Aiy and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101825 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:43 am »
Anyone looking for a €1000 plastic case? https://www.ebay.de/itm/114972031453

McBryce.

You would be too late for a Telequipment Oscilloscope Type D1011 front and back outer cover, which sold for £100 even though “I have no means of testing this unit”   .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telequipment-Oscilloscope-Type-D1011-front-and-back-outer-cover-/363535705851
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101826 on: September 15, 2021, 09:40:05 am »
There is a Keithley 2602 SMU offered by zhoefler in the bay. Starting bid: 1190,- EUR (NAWTS)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/403162060138

I give up. What is a system source device used for?
A digitally controlled power supply that can also measure it's voltage/current with 6 1/2 digits. And it's "4-quadrant" so +- on voltage and current - which also makes it an electronic load.
A true "swiss army knife". And two of them in one case! These range up to 20V/ 1.5A and 200V/0.1A. Also, they are priced like a small car...
These are the original non-letter units, long out of service. I have a similar "A" unit, but these are out of service as well. Only the newest "B" units still get service from keithley AFAIK.

Edit: I should add that they are superior to a normal DMM, as since they are power supplys you can set the current to zero - as long as you are inside the +-200V compliance range "no" current will flow in/out of the device - which makes them a lot higher impedance (infinite in theory) than the 10Meg of the usual DMM.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:48:02 am by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101827 on: September 15, 2021, 09:43:05 am »
For anyone with faded or faint engraving this might be worth a look. eBay auction: #401120957438 available in other colours too.

I have done a fair bit of trawling around for my Height Gauge refurb to go over the engraving and it came up very well regarded across a lot of sites and discussions. Same sellers product range is well worth a look too lots of interesting pliers, small hammers and bits mainly aimed at jewelry but plenty of cross over and they stock Xuron and Lindstrom.

Tube inbound so there will be pics and follow up in a couple of weeks.

How timely, I need to do just that on my 575. Missing red/black/blue paint on the test pod, was wondering what to use... cool that there exists convenient pens rather than having to a whole can of paint.  Looking forward to your feedback.
Would need the colour to be custom mixed though, to match the surrounding / non-faded paint... hoping the companies who do these pens also offer a customization service.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101828 on: September 15, 2021, 09:53:41 am »
There is a Keithley 2602 SMU offered by zhoefler in the bay. Starting bid: 1190,- EUR (NAWTS)

The 2602 is a dual channel model.
Those devices combine several devices in one case which is very useful for automation. It saves also a lot of bench space.
The 2600 series has:
- precision power supply
- true current source
- electronic load
- arbitrary waveform generator
- DMM (5.5 digit I think)
- I or V pulse generator

I've attached a data sheet of the 2600 series for convenience.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101829 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:56 am »

A digitally controlled power supply that can also measure it's voltage/current with 6 1/2 digits. And it's "4-quadrant" so +- on voltage and current - which also makes it an electronic load.
A true "swiss army knife". And two of them in one case! These range up to 20V/ 1.5A and 200V/0.1A. Also, they are priced like a small car...
These are the original non-letter units, long out of service. I have a similar "A" unit, but these are out of service as well. Only the newest "B" units still get service from keithley AFAIK.

Edit: I should add that they are superior to a normal DMM, as since they are power supplys you can set the current to zero - as long as you are inside the +-200V compliance range "no" current will flow in/out of the device - which makes them a lot higher impedance (infinite in theory) than the 10Meg of the usual DMM.

So if I wanted to measure the current required to make a fruit flies wings vibrate this would be my "go to" instrument?  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #101830 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:51 am »
For anyone with faded or faint engraving this might be worth a look. eBay auction: #401120957438 available in other colours too.

I have done a fair bit of trawling around for my Height Gauge refurb to go over the engraving and it came up very well regarded across a lot of sites and discussions. Same sellers product range is well worth a look too lots of interesting pliers, small hammers and bits mainly aimed at jewelry but plenty of cross over and they stock Xuron and Lindstrom.

Tube inbound so there will be pics and follow up in a couple of weeks.

How timely, I need to do just that on my 575. Missing red/black/blue paint on the test pod, was wondering what to use... cool that there exists convenient pens rather than having to a whole can of paint.  Looking forward to your feedback.
Would need the colour to be custom mixed though, to match the surrounding / non-faded paint... hoping the companies who do these pens also offer a customization service.

Its more of a Crayon than a marker so just the block colours https://markal.com/products/lacquer-stik
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101831 on: September 15, 2021, 09:58:18 am »

So if I wanted to measure the current required to make a fruit flies wings vibrate this would be my "go to" instrument?  ;D

I think all Smurfs need a good SMU in their lives >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101832 on: September 15, 2021, 09:58:54 am »

In this case I'd recommend the 2635 or 2636, they are going down to 1fA.  :-/O :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101833 on: September 15, 2021, 10:43:42 am »
If you are going to play "What is it" try this one. Its a part I have and yes that is an SMA connector on the end.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101834 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
If you are going to play "What is it" try this one. Its a part I have and yes that is an SMA connector on the end.
A pitot tube?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101835 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:54 am »
A pitot tube?
No

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101836 on: September 15, 2021, 11:28:41 am »
Progress receiving GPS data - date and time. More work ahead ...  :-/O
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101837 on: September 15, 2021, 11:33:55 am »
" Exclusive Preveiw " with exclusive Typo too !  ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101838 on: September 15, 2021, 11:35:33 am »
Progress receiving GPS data - date and time. More work ahead ...  :-/O
Beware! We had quite a few of these "always on" - after only a year a considerable number had gone bust; not only faded but missing lines and various glitches  :wtf:
In general, blue OLED have the shortest lifetime of the "phosphor", yellow has AFAIK the longest.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101839 on: September 15, 2021, 11:44:43 am »

Good Vince - that was a test to see if anyone was really looking! Congratulations!  :clap:

Beware! We had quite a few of these "always on" - after only a year a considerable number had gone bust; not only faded but missing lines and various glitches  :wtf:
In general, blue OLED have the shortest lifetime of the "phosphor", yellow has AFAIK the longest.

Thanks. I might yet get a bigger screen, still playing with it.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101840 on: September 15, 2021, 11:53:38 am »

You used to be able to get that stuff in every colour under the sun, probably still can if you search hard enough but it's become a little hard to find presumably because of lot of engravers of labels and the like switched over to that laminate with the colour pre-built-in in the middle layer. Or, you could raid your kid's crayon box, or the PM's speechwriting materials.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101841 on: September 15, 2021, 11:53:55 am »

Good Vince - that was a test to see if anyone was really looking! Congratulations!  :clap:

Oh you pervert, it was deliberate !  :-DD

Glad I passed the test ! I think I deserve a cookie now ! 8)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101842 on: September 15, 2021, 11:56:34 am »

Oh you pervert, it was deliberate !  :-DD

Glad I passed the test ! I think I deserve a cookie now ! 8)

LOL see that's how you get out of jams here in the TEA thread. If anyone finds what they perceive as a "mistake" (which happens quite often here) you just say it was done deliberately for {some reason} or for {some sort of test}. Who can say you're wrong?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101843 on: September 15, 2021, 11:57:49 am »

Antenna with preamp?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101844 on: September 15, 2021, 11:57:56 am »
You used to be able to get that stuff in every colour under the sun, probably still can if you search hard enough but it's become a little hard to find presumably

Hmm OK, will search hard then ! I fear I might have to get paint custom mixed though, in the end, as I find it highly unlikely that some thing off the shelve would match the Tektronix colour closely enough to blend perfectly with the remaining/good parts of the face plate.  I fear this could become a bit of a rabbit hole for me...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101845 on: September 15, 2021, 12:00:43 pm »

Antenna with preamp?

It looks like it's got 2 distinct "ports" / tubes to let the air in. And it's Robert so unless he is pervert and is on purpose trying to mislead us, then it's probably an aircraft part.  So.. some sensor in an aircraft that takes air in. But it's not an air speed / Pitot tube sensor. So.. maybe a sensor for an altimeter ??

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101846 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:10 pm »

You used to be able to get that stuff in every colour under the sun, probably still can if you search hard enough but it's become a little hard to find presumably because of lot of engravers of labels and the like switched over to that laminate with the colour pre-built-in in the middle layer. Or, you could raid your kid's crayon box, or the PM's speechwriting materials.

Yep these days multi coloured/layered plastics and metalized films have really seen proper engraving hard to find. Lasers Rule >:D

Are you sure Boris can hold a Crayon or does he more likely eat them?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101847 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:23 pm »

As we've ruled out pitot tube (and presumably anything close and pressure related) then my list would include liquid cooled load/terminator, a flow cell of some sort, or (low probability from the connections) some sort of GDT type lightning arrestor.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, shakalnokturn

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #101848 on: September 15, 2021, 12:09:58 pm »
In this case I'd recommend the 2635 or 2636, they are going down to 1fA.  :-/O :D

and then realize you need triax everywhere.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf