Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731986 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101775 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:46 pm »
Besides, everyone needs a break once in a while from our TEA and exploring things warm and soft is infinitely more interesting.  :P :-DD

For a moment I thought it was Dwagon writing, you surprised me !  :-DD

The dwagon and med6753 do have more in common than one might think.  >:D  :-DD

I don't know whether to take that as a insult or compliment...   :-DD

mnem
"I'm only a asshole on Thursdays. Rest of the time I'm a whole ass." ~me, immediately after the line-dancing incident

Ditto.  :-// ;D
*hands med a hatchet, while slinging a shovel over his own shoulder*

"Walk with me..." ;)

mnem
Life's too short for grudges...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101776 on: September 14, 2021, 09:42:16 pm »
Besides, everyone needs a break once in a while from our TEA and exploring things warm and soft is infinitely more interesting.  :P :-DD

mnem
"I'm only a asshole on Thursdays. Rest of the time I'm a whole ass." ~me, immediately after the line-dancing incident

Just five words: The dwagon licks papa smurf.

8)  >:D

Let me know if you need a picture to illustrate this.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101777 on: September 14, 2021, 09:44:44 pm »

mnem

That's my cue to log off the blog and go watch TV.  :P :P :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101778 on: September 14, 2021, 09:48:52 pm »
Managed to extract the three stooges from the TM501. Turns out the Duratool desolder station is completely beyond useless on ground planes so I had to hit it two handed. One hand with the Metcal and a big tip and the other hand with the Duratool.

Left wanting for a Metcal sucky iron now  :-DD

Anyway they're out:      Can't even execute the bastards! :palm:

Replacements ordered.

What...? No Sledge-O-Matic...?   I'm shocked! >:D

mnem

Recall the 7603 PSU re-cap? Miniature hacksaw and Dremel to get those bastards out.  :palm:

Yeah... we remember. ;)

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101779 on: September 14, 2021, 09:52:48 pm »
That will be because RS are currently manned by trolls, gnomes and goblins.

One of my Avmet orders changed from in stock to confirmed order to 5 months delivery -- without them bothering to tell me.

I've got an Elfa Distrelec order, for a bunch of 5KΩ audio taper pots, that's been delayed for more than 6 months now.

Luckily enough, the old ones needed just one drop of "as-good-as-deoxit-but-a-lot-cheaper" which made them work again. That spray, BTW, is pure magic. Made a large flock of C&K toggles that previously were intermittent and very erratic start performing flawlessly. Lastingly so; it's been 4 months now, and they just keep on working.

Also, a Mouser order for some caps, like 5 off 1000µF in some modest voltage rating. Been delayed now for 2 months.

It's not only "semiconductors" these days.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101780 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:34 pm »

Yep, thats so true, I always found it a little unnerving every time I had visit a couple of our Atomic Weapons Establishments  :phew:
The firearms or the radiation ?
Radiation would bother me more.  :scared:

The firearms I imagine. The Civil Nuclear Constabulary (better known as the Nuclear Police) were the only regularly armed police in the UK until the Met decided to go for the "armed bully boys with shaved heads" look on a regular basis.
Yeah well I just don't get how some can be not scared of electricity yet they are of firearms.  :-//
Arse about IMHO.

Well, the express purpose of firearms is to kill, either for hunting or warfare. That folks like you and me use them as long distance paper punches as a form of peaceful sport has itself evolved from the need to train people to use them in warfare. The British government used to promote target shooting as a sport to have a ready supply of proficient rifleman handy in case of hostilities. Everybody is aware that a firearm is a weapon, and a weapon that one is unlikely to defend oneself from without having one oneself and being proficient in its use. One has an innate understanding that a firearm is more dangerous than a fist, rock, stick, knife or sword.

You have to put this into a context.
You do.
Despite your well written piece with some of it now snipped, to us your view and that of many more including legislating Gubbermints to far to simplistic and to a large degree influenced by all the bad press about firearms and what some nutters get up to with them.

To us they are just tools, nothing more nothing less and like with any tool some of them will give a bad result if used incorrectly.
They let us solve problems in a safe and efficient manner such as the dispatch of some poor injured beast when use of a knife or spear would be dangerous and inhumane.
Dealing with large critters takes somewhat more than a pea shooter such as mercy dispatch of stranded whales where only the larger bores able to be used by man can do such tasks efficiently.
A very good friend wrote a white paper on such dealings decades ago which is still the reference document in use here today.

Such are the decades of bad press we have set up a quite nice private facility where we and invited guests can scratch our itchy forefingers and polish our abilities and expose the community to safe and controlled use of tools used in all manner of legitimate sporting pursuits.
It truly saddens us that firearms get such a bad wrap .............

I'm a little disappointed that you snipped the context, which describes exactly why people like specmaster, faced with a firearm, get all antsy. In the context of where you are, in farming, a shotgun leaning in the corner is normal. If Farmer Giles is also a decent shot (rare) perhaps also a small bore rifle for pest control/rabbit stew and a full bore rifle if there's deer to be managed (In the UK it is illegal to hunt deer or use firearms to euthanise them unless you are using ammunition of a adequately large calibre and power to ensure a clean humane kill) .

I'll bet specmaster doesn't get antsy if he visits Farmer Giles and sees a shotgun in the corner of the kitchen. There's a world of difference between a friendly cuppa with the farmer's wife while a 12 gauge gently does the firearm equivalent of snoring in front of the fireplace and pulling up to a big gate to be eyed up suspiciously by two blokes carrying submachine guns at port-arms while another one says "papers please". Context is everything when it comes to how people react.

Yes, a firearm is just a tool, but whereas a hammer is just a tool and also a very lethal weapon should it be put to that purpose, a firearm is always going to be perceived as a weapon first and a tool second by most people because 'weapon' is a quintessential part of its nature. Don't expect the ignorant to see past that barrier of 'weapon' without a lot of education.

On the politics side, it's just a cynical "easy to get almost everyone on your side" ploy if you make a fuss about firearms, with very little risk of serious political comeback. If you were raised, as I was, by a professional killer trained to recognise the weapons potential of any object (which is a nasty way of saying "former Sergeant in the commandos who had responsibilities for unarmed combat training"), then the humble ballpoint pen is a nasty weapon. Somehow I don't see the politicians going on the warpath again ballpoint pens the next time one is used to seriously injure or kill someone (Until the prison service cottoned on and started issuing floppy ballpoint pens, there were several stabbings a year using one as a weapon in British prisons).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101781 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:42 pm »
Cerebus....  :)
Yes context is everything and I well remember being very calmed by the commando in black sporting an assault rifle on arrival to Hong Kong airport in 2014.
Some would be horrified by such a sight but not us.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101782 on: September 14, 2021, 11:05:22 pm »
Back in the day, Radidio Shank (and pretty much all of the Dalbani, etc type catalogs) had a tuner contact spray (as in old-fashioned slug/sector turret VHF tuners) that was amazing.

When first sprayed, it had a mildly abrasive texture suspended in foamy lubricant. I don't know if it was some chemical salt or ice crystals, but when it evaporated, all that was left was a smooth, light grease with a consistency similar to commonly available white lithium with PTFE and absolutely no abrasive matter at all. Whatever it was it was non-conductive, and worked like magic even on the crustiest slide pots as plagued Marantz and pretty much every analog graphic EQ ever made.

I assume it was later discovered to be dangerous like lead solder (woops, bye-bye to the brain cell that had my street address in Pittsburgh written on it... ;) ) and taken off the market... or maybe freon or huffable volatiles it just won't work without.  :-//

mnem
 :blah:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101783 on: September 14, 2021, 11:17:06 pm »

mnem

8)  >:D   Let me know if you need a picture to illustrate this.  :-DD

Naaah, thanks... I'm trying to cut back on my intake of toxic waste.  ;)

mnem
That's why I moved away from Texas... :o

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101784 on: September 14, 2021, 11:55:51 pm »

Yep, thats so true, I always found it a little unnerving every time I had visit a couple of our Atomic Weapons Establishments  :phew:
The firearms or the radiation ?
Radiation would bother me more.  :scared:

The firearms I imagine. The Civil Nuclear Constabulary (better known as the Nuclear Police) were the only regularly armed police in the UK until the Met decided to go for the "armed bully boys with shaved heads" look on a regular basis.
Yeah well I just don't get how some can be not scared of electricity yet they are of firearms.  :-//
Arse about IMHO.

Well, the express purpose of firearms is to kill, either for hunting or warfare. That folks like you and me use them as long distance paper punches as a form of peaceful sport has itself evolved from the need to train people to use them in warfare. The British government used to promote target shooting as a sport to have a ready supply of proficient rifleman handy in case of hostilities. Everybody is aware that a firearm is a weapon, and a weapon that one is unlikely to defend oneself from without having one oneself and being proficient in its use. One has an innate understanding that a firearm is more dangerous than a fist, rock, stick, knife or sword.

You have to put this into a context.
You do.
Despite your well written piece with some of it now snipped, to us your view and that of many more including legislating Gubbermints to far to simplistic and to a large degree influenced by all the bad press about firearms and what some nutters get up to with them.

To us they are just tools, nothing more nothing less and like with any tool some of them will give a bad result if used incorrectly.
They let us solve problems in a safe and efficient manner such as the dispatch of some poor injured beast when use of a knife or spear would be dangerous and inhumane.
Dealing with large critters takes somewhat more than a pea shooter such as mercy dispatch of stranded whales where only the larger bores able to be used by man can do such tasks efficiently.
A very good friend wrote a white paper on such dealings decades ago which is still the reference document in use here today.

Such are the decades of bad press we have set up a quite nice private facility where we and invited guests can scratch our itchy forefingers and polish our abilities and expose the community to safe and controlled use of tools used in all manner of legitimate sporting pursuits.
It truly saddens us that firearms get such a bad wrap .............

I'm a little disappointed that you snipped the context, which describes exactly why people like specmaster, faced with a firearm, get all antsy. In the context of where you are, in farming, a shotgun leaning in the corner is normal. If Farmer Giles is also a decent shot (rare) perhaps also a small bore rifle for pest control/rabbit stew and a full bore rifle if there's deer to be managed (In the UK it is illegal to hunt deer or use firearms to euthanise them unless you are using ammunition of a adequately large calibre and power to ensure a clean humane kill) .

I'll bet specmaster doesn't get antsy if he visits Farmer Giles and sees a shotgun in the corner of the kitchen. There's a world of difference between a friendly cuppa with the farmer's wife while a 12 gauge gently does the firearm equivalent of snoring in front of the fireplace and pulling up to a big gate to be eyed up suspiciously by two blokes carrying submachine guns at port-arms while another one says "papers please". Context is everything when it comes to how people react.

Yes, a firearm is just a tool, but whereas a hammer is just a tool and also a very lethal weapon should it be put to that purpose, a firearm is always going to be perceived as a weapon first and a tool second by most people because 'weapon' is a quintessential part of its nature. Don't expect the ignorant to see past that barrier of 'weapon' without a lot of education.

On the politics side, it's just a cynical "easy to get almost everyone on your side" ploy if you make a fuss about firearms, with very little risk of serious political comeback. If you were raised, as I was, by a professional killer trained to recognise the weapons potential of any object (which is a nasty way of saying "former Sergeant in the commandos who had responsibilities for unarmed combat training"), then the humble ballpoint pen is a nasty weapon. Somehow I don't see the politicians going on the warpath again ballpoint pens the next time one is used to seriously injure or kill someone (Until the prison service cottoned on and started issuing floppy ballpoint pens, there were several stabbings a year using one as a weapon in British prisons).

I was raised in exactly the circumstances you describe. In large part, for good or evil, by my grandfather who also collected military rifles. Mostly bolt-action like the .303 Enfield and 7.7 Jap; a few carbines, I think German and Russian (I remember boxes of all the above ammo along with 7.62 NATO) but it was a long time ago. He kept those and the ammo for them locked away.

He also had a number of shotguns and civvy rifles; including a .222 and a .410 and a .22 he gave to me before we agreed I had no interest in hunting the way he did. These stayed in his room and in the living room as he saw fit; and the reasoning he explained to me was simple: the military rifles are weapons of war, and their primary purpose is to kill people. It is why they were made. It was also why he refused to have automatics or pistols in the house.

All of these guns he taught me how to handle responsibly and to shoot competently at a young age; and he taught me above all else the gravity of the decision to squeeze the trigger every time you made it.

So when we have a disagreement aboot guns, understand that I'm not some pansy bookworm with no idea of firearms (I'll even admit to loving the smell of Hoppes #9); it is as someone who grew up with them in the household, and knows the difference between a "tool" and a "machine made to kill people".

And I have little use for the latter or all the arguments and rationalizations people use as an excuse for collecting them, when most sensible people just want to be as far away from them as possible.

mnem
As an aside... I am generally much more frightened of a politician with a pen in his hand than almost anyone with a gun over their shoulder; I can run away from the latter. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:01:52 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101785 on: September 15, 2021, 12:04:31 am »
Managed to extract the three stooges from the TM501. Turns out the Duratool desolder station is completely beyond useless on ground planes so I had to hit it two handed. One hand with the Metcal and a big tip and the other hand with the Duratool.

Anyway they're out:

Can't even execute the bastards!  :palm:

Replacements ordered.
Do they do a sucky iron?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101786 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:41 am »
https://www.newark.com/metcal/mx-ds1/desolder-hand-piece/dp/41B5513

Oh... yeah. And tweezers too. And custom heads for DIP8/14/20, etc... and all the cleaners and... and...  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:13:24 am by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101787 on: September 15, 2021, 12:09:10 am »

Anyway they're out:

Can't even execute the bastards!  :palm:

Replacements ordered.
Do they do a sucky iron?

You just need low melt solder and you can remove it with anything.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101788 on: September 15, 2021, 12:11:13 am »

Anyway they're out:      Can't even execute the bastards! :palm:

Replacements ordered.

What...? No Sledge-O-Matic...?   I'm shocked! >:D

mnem

Why can't you execute them, are so dry that there open circuit?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:36:08 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101789 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:52 am »
Whoa, Spec.... that's kinda like deja vu'... kinda like deja vu'... :-DD

Anyway they're out:      Can't even execute the bastards!  :palm:

Replacements ordered.
Do they do a sucky iron?
You just need low melt solder and you can remove it with anything.

Now where's the fun in that...?  :-DD

mnem
Anybody can buy expensive chemicals to make the problem go away... ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:19:26 am by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101790 on: September 15, 2021, 12:27:45 am »

Sn18Pb32Bi50 (Rose Metal) is pretty cheap and melt at around 95C

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101791 on: September 15, 2021, 12:32:18 am »

mnem

That's my cue to log off the blog and go watch TV.  :P :P :-DD :-DD
I did myself with all the gun talk, I watched Batman Returns with my sons, watched Batman last night as well, maybe tomorrow we'll watch again the new series of Batman films.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101792 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:58 am »
I did myself with all the gun talk, I watched Batman Returns with my sons, watched Batman last night as well, maybe tomorrow we'll watch again the new series of Batman films.

So, let me get this right. To get away from a very civilised discussion of why people find guns disturbing (prompted I might add by your comments) you went to watch a film full of violence involving, among other things, gratuitous use of firearms? Mmmkay.

"Nurse!"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101793 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:17 am »

So, let me get this right. To get away from a very civilised discussion of why people find guns disturbing (prompted I might add by your comments) you went to watch a film full of violence involving, among other things, gratuitous use of firearms? Mmmkay.

"Nurse!"
There are names for those with such double standards.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101794 on: September 15, 2021, 01:22:31 am »
I on the other hand am now off to watch a film about lots of dxs and dys being horribly crushed to nothing. In other worlds I've downloaded a bunch of 3Blue1Brown videos on calculus from youTube.

"Death to the running dogs of improper fractions!"

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101795 on: September 15, 2021, 01:24:09 am »
I on the other hand am now off to watch a film about lots of dxs and dys being horribly crushed to nothing. In other worlds I've downloaded a bunch of 3Blue1Brown videos on calculus from youTube.

"Death to the running dogs of improper fractions!"

Yea good stuff I've watched a few of those.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101796 on: September 15, 2021, 02:30:34 am »
I remember watching his first vid on Neural Networks a year or two ago... the maths made my brain ache, but the way he presented the relationships and concepts was quite accessible.

Sadly, I didn't have the ambition to followup on subsequent vids; I find aversion conditioning quite effective. :o

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101797 on: September 15, 2021, 02:43:25 am »

Sn18Pb32Bi50 (Rose Metal) is pretty cheap and melt at around 95C
Yeah, but as soon as you shop it made into a convenient-to-use wire form instead of globules, it gets much more expensive. Could be fun to find ways to cast it into useful forms with boiling water tho.

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a rosin mallet*

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #101798 on: September 15, 2021, 04:34:17 am »
Got my 4145B/16058A accessories today...all nicely packaged....and the foam inside the "briefcase" was totally rotten. I effing hate this sticky smelly crap.   >:(

Anyway, I dug it all out and replaced it with some foam I had saved. Not the prettiest, but a damn sight better than what was in there before. Not pictured are the set of flying leads for making connections inside the 16058A.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101799 on: September 15, 2021, 05:17:21 am »
Got my Avometer HD. Packaging average, as advertised. Very dirty, marked Saab-Scania (old name for Saab, the aircraft company.) Came from Linköping area, which is where their main factory is. The dirt is mostly on the leather case, which is also in need of repair. Have not had time to check if meter works, but it will require a new set of rubber feet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf