Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16732057 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101750 on: September 14, 2021, 08:01:59 pm »
Today's update on the glowing Tek 575 curve tracer  :popcorn:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-type-575-curve-tracer-repair-and-restoration/msg3687073/#msg3687073

just want to say thanks.

have enjoyed watching your progress.

ps  have to admit that following med is a tiny bit more fun because of the suspense associated with surgical/medical peril.

and GF activities. Vince do you have a GF to enter into the mix? Like, she could knock over an unobtainium part for the 575.

:-DD

Hell no ! No GF or dog  in my house to mess with my stuff and drive me nuts !  I can put a fragile 575 CRT on the workbench then go to bed and sleep on both ears, knowing that when I wake up the next day, CRT will still be there in one piece !!  Priceless.

No issues here either. When the Lady is here on her weekend visits everything is put away out of regard for her safety. The only thing that drives me nuts is her fascination with British TV shows.

Besides, everyone needs a break once in a while from our TEA and exploring things warm and soft is infinitely more interesting.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101751 on: September 14, 2021, 08:06:24 pm »

mnem
 :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101752 on: September 14, 2021, 08:08:12 pm »
I received this TEA Mug today. Thanks to Henrik_V & the guy who sent it to us!  :-DD

[...]

I'm hanging out in a lab, let me give you a lab tour...

[...]

What a wonderful place and awesome new home for this poor Sisytronix!
Lot's of new gear and awesome boatanchors to play with!  :-+

Enjoy your new mug and thanks to Henrik_V for this very cool move.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101753 on: September 14, 2021, 08:10:07 pm »

No issues here either. When the Lady is here on her weekend visits everything is put away out of regard for her safety. The only thing that drives me nuts is her fascination with British TV shows.

Nothing at all wrong with her taste in British TV shows, they are the best after all, we'll have her drinking Earl Grey tea yet  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101754 on: September 14, 2021, 08:17:33 pm »
Besides, everyone needs a break once in a while from our TEA and exploring things warm and soft is infinitely more interesting.  :P :-DD

For a moment I thought it was Dwagon writing, you surprised me !  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101755 on: September 14, 2021, 08:22:33 pm »

Whenever I see a mishap like this... it makes me wonder just what the mandated post-event inspection consists of. I imagine a stack of books each approx 6" thick...

I mean, it has to be a lot more involved than say... the inspection process for crash-costing a head-on collision on a car, for example; which is pretty extensive if done correctly.

The popular digest is quite readable, actually.  Broken Arrow incidents are not calming. First you read the Rhodes book and then you finish up with Schlosser.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101756 on: September 14, 2021, 08:24:39 pm »
Just spoke with the 7854 user who last used it about 5 years ago. No issues. It has 2 dual Vert PlugIns for 4 ch. It has 2 dual timebase modules slightly different. If they decide I get it, I'm on it!!! :-+

Of course you will. We knew it, and cherish the feeling. Welcome to the asylum.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101757 on: September 14, 2021, 08:34:15 pm »
 :wtf: I just received email from RS, it seems that the order I placed Saturday, with all items in stock, with a next working day delivery, the one that I thought I had an email saying that it had been dispatched, turns out that they only dispatched it today, so what gives there then  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101758 on: September 14, 2021, 08:34:57 pm »
That will be because RS are currently manned by trolls, gnomes and goblins.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101759 on: September 14, 2021, 08:38:34 pm »
Managed to extract the three stooges from the TM501. Turns out the Duratool desolder station is completely beyond useless on ground planes so I had to hit it two handed. One hand with the Metcal and a big tip and the other hand with the Duratool.

Left wanting for a Metcal sucky iron now  :-DD

Anyway they're out:

Can't even execute the bastards!  :palm:

Replacements ordered.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101760 on: September 14, 2021, 08:42:16 pm »
The electricity company are installing a new meter here tomorrow. I should put my plan to drive phone ATA and fiber converter/CPE from the 24V "signals batteries" I have in operation. I only have a LD1085 reg in store, so that'll be what I will use. My original plan was to buy a stash of those chinesium buck converters and rebuild them to follow the specified reference design (that is, add enough L and C before and after so that they actually perform correctly and don't spew HF all over..)  Or, I could tack a PowerPole on the DC bus and drive it from my field day battery..

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101761 on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:15 pm »
It looks almost pathetic with those little capacitors in it  :-DD

Yea new stuff is better made and can be smaller. I run into that "look" issue a lot.  :)

The consensus on the badcaps forums is generally quite the opposite, and they do have a point: the larger mass of the older designs means they can soak up a lot of ripple and dissipate it as heat for a lot longer service life before they dry out and start to suck.

I highly doubt those new one will last 30-40 years (or more...?) before they croak like the OEM ones did.  :-//

mnem
 :bullshit:

I've seen NOS (new old stock) Panasonic & Rubycon capacitors from around 20+ years old oozing electrolyte, stored in a climate controlled lab at the time. Also found some NOS Frako caps failed in the same way last week (not climate controlled).  :--
Then there are all the random corrosive leakage/oozing failures in old stuff we repair, both at work & home, some are not obvious until the cap is removed.
The plastic/rubber (or whatever they use) seals do not last, they will perish, leak & dry out, whether they are used or not.  :horse:

As for size, we had to buy 125°C/130°C parts to replace 105°C parts, as that was the only way to obtain parts that fitted the original lead pitch of the boards. On the plus side the caps are usually larger in size too, from memory the parts were from the Nichicon BT series and Rubycon RX series. I believe 150°C parts are also available if you wanted overkill.

David
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:49:44 pm by factory »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101762 on: September 14, 2021, 08:49:40 pm »

Oy, don't insult the trolls, gnomes and goblins - they left. It's the Morlocks at RS now.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101763 on: September 14, 2021, 08:50:19 pm »

The dwagon and med6753 do have more in common than one might think.  >:D  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101764 on: September 14, 2021, 08:53:51 pm »

Gremlins. You've forgot the gremlins.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101765 on: September 14, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Nah all the Gremlins are at CPC  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101766 on: September 14, 2021, 08:58:59 pm »
Managed to extract the three stooges from the TM501. Turns out the Duratool desolder station is completely beyond useless on ground planes so I had to hit it two handed. One hand with the Metcal and a big tip and the other hand with the Duratool.

Anyway they're out:      Can't even execute the bastards! :palm:

Replacements ordered.

What...? No Sledge-O-Matic...?   I'm shocked! >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101767 on: September 14, 2021, 09:05:26 pm »
Believe me I did consider that for a bit  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101768 on: September 14, 2021, 09:06:13 pm »

I don't know whether to take that as a insult or compliment...   :-DD

mnem
"I'm only a asshole on Thursdays. Rest of the time I'm a whole ass." ~me, immediately after the line-dancing incident

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101769 on: September 14, 2021, 09:08:43 pm »

Yep, thats so true, I always found it a little unnerving every time I had visit a couple of our Atomic Weapons Establishments  :phew:
The firearms or the radiation ?
Radiation would bother me more.  :scared:

The firearms I imagine. The Civil Nuclear Constabulary (better known as the Nuclear Police) were the only regularly armed police in the UK until the Met decided to go for the "armed bully boys with shaved heads" look on a regular basis.
Yeah well I just don't get how some can be not scared of electricity yet they are of firearms.  :-//
Arse about IMHO.

Well, the express purpose of firearms is to kill, either for hunting or warfare. That folks like you and me use them as long distance paper punches as a form of peaceful sport has itself evolved from the need to train people to use them in warfare. The British government used to promote target shooting as a sport to have a ready supply of proficient rifleman handy in case of hostilities. Everybody is aware that a firearm is a weapon, and a weapon that one is unlikely to defend oneself from without having one oneself and being proficient in its use. One has an innate understanding that a firearm is more dangerous than a fist, rock, stick, knife or sword.

You have to put this into a context.
You do.
Despite your well written piece with some of it now snipped, to us your view and that of many more including legislating Gubbermints to far to simplistic and to a large degree influenced by all the bad press about firearms and what some nutters get up to with them.

To us they are just tools, nothing more nothing less and like with any tool some of them will give a bad result if used incorrectly.
They let us solve problems in a safe and efficient manner such as the dispatch of some poor injured beast when use of a knife or spear would be dangerous and inhumane.
Dealing with large critters takes somewhat more than a pea shooter such as mercy dispatch of stranded whales where only the larger bores able to be used by man can do such tasks efficiently.
A very good friend wrote a white paper on such dealings decades ago which is still the reference document in use here today.

Such are the decades of bad press we have set up a quite nice private facility where we and invited guests can scratch our itchy forefingers and polish our abilities and expose the community to safe and controlled use of tools used in all manner of legitimate sporting pursuits.
It truly saddens us that firearms get such a bad wrap .............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101770 on: September 14, 2021, 09:11:13 pm »

Oy, don't insult the trolls, gnomes and goblins - they left. It's the Morlocks at RS now.

Another candidate for radium suppositories...?  >:D

mnem
*mental note: build moat, hire piranhas; nasty little bitey ones...*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:13:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101771 on: September 14, 2021, 09:22:33 pm »
Please, could we leave out this discussions about firearms?

Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, Neper

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #101772 on: September 14, 2021, 09:24:46 pm »

One of my Avmet orders changed from in stock to confirmed order to 5 months delivery -- without them bothering to tell me.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101773 on: September 14, 2021, 09:32:21 pm »

I don't know whether to take that as a insult or compliment...   :-DD

mnem
"I'm only a asshole on Thursdays. Rest of the time I'm a whole ass." ~me, immediately after the line-dancing incident

Ditto.  :-// ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101774 on: September 14, 2021, 09:37:52 pm »

Anyway they're out:      Can't even execute the bastards! :palm:

Replacements ordered.

What...? No Sledge-O-Matic...?   I'm shocked! >:D

mnem

Recall the 7603 PSU re-cap? Miniature hacksaw and dremel to get those bastards out.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, DH7DN

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf