Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731970 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101650 on: September 14, 2021, 07:38:11 am »

Yep, thats so true, I always found it a little unnerving every time I had visit a couple of our Atomic Weapons Establishments  :phew:
The firearms or the radiation ?
Radiation would bother me more.  :scared:

The firearms I imagine. The Civil Nuclear Constabulary (better known as the Nuclear Police) were the only regularly armed police in the UK until the Met decided to go for the "armed bully boys with shaved heads" look on a regular basis.
Yeah well I just don't get how some can be not scared of electricity yet they are of firearms.  :-//
Arse about IMHO.

They haven’t seen electricity hurt anyone yet.

Only thing to be scared of is stupid people.

This morning in my personal newsticker:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/radon-treatment-mine-radiation-covid/2021/08/06/2bcf9ebc-f08f-11eb-81d2-ffae0f931b8f_story.html

Dunning-Kruger at work.  :palm:

Edit:
This is a list of horrible radioactive products, e.g. chocolate or condoms.

https://gizmodo.com/seriously-scary-radioactive-consumer-products-from-the-498044380
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:49:53 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #101651 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:02 am »
I have 2 of the 27's but not with the HV probes and they still meet their original specification, nice solid meters and I mean SOLID, could drive nails home with them if you had to  :-DD

Didn't bd post a video using a 25/27 to hammer in a dowel?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101652 on: September 14, 2021, 08:12:03 am »
Radiation risks of nuclear weapons (before they go bang) get rather exaggerated. I'd rather be near a well maintained nuclear weapon than near one of the Cobalt sources that you can find scattered around university campuses or one of the Technetium sources that you can find in many a hospital.

The only time I was dosed with technetium, I was told to stay away from pregnant women for 24 hours.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101653 on: September 14, 2021, 08:31:06 am »
I'd rather be near a well maintained nuclear weapon than near one of the Cobalt sources that you can find scattered around university campuses or one of the Technetium sources that you can find in many a hospital.

While I agree with you 100%, I still find this classic picture appropriate:

(Dunno if it's "nucular" or not, but, it looks the part! :-DD )

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #101654 on: September 14, 2021, 08:32:39 am »
And don't drink your urine 😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101655 on: September 14, 2021, 09:03:01 am »
I have 2 of the 27's but not with the HV probes and they still meet their original specification, nice solid meters and I mean SOLID, could drive nails home with them if you had to  :-DD

Didn't bd post a video using a 25/27 to hammer in a dowel?

Re-uploaded here on new YT account

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101656 on: September 14, 2021, 09:18:47 am »
Hey, ain't there supposed to be glue with those dowels?  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101657 on: September 14, 2021, 09:19:39 am »
And don't drink your urine 😂

Unless, (in)famously, you are the prime minister of India, Moraji Desai.

Here's something you don't see often, The Sun noting that the Financial Times has issued a correction: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1197844/this-could-be-the-most-important-newspaper-correction-of-all-time/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101658 on: September 14, 2021, 09:25:40 am »

Not necessary on this particular thing. The frame is screwed together at the corners. These are clamped in place by the rest of the frame.

Joy to Ikea stuff is you can turn it back to its component parts again if you need to move it  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101659 on: September 14, 2021, 09:25:57 am »
I'd rather be near a well maintained nuclear weapon than near one of the Cobalt sources...

Not confined to the campuses, unfortunately. Don't go near scrapyards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-60#Incidents_involving_medical_radiation_sources

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101660 on: September 14, 2021, 09:27:08 am »

Not necessary on this particular thing. The frame is screwed together at the corners. These are clamped in place by the rest of the frame.

Joy to Ikea stuff is you can turn it back to its component parts fragments again if you need to move it  :-DD

FTFY

BYW, your yootoob vids are about the only ones I'll automatically watch - because they are short and aren't replaceable by text!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:37:34 am by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101661 on: September 14, 2021, 09:29:14 am »

Joy to Ikea stuff is you can turn it back to its component parts again if you need to move it  :-DD

OK, makes sense. But who would want to go through the agony of assembling it twice?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101662 on: September 14, 2021, 09:38:06 am »
I'd rather be near a well maintained nuclear weapon than near one of the Cobalt sources that you can find scattered around university campuses or one of the Technetium sources that you can find in many a hospital.

It might be just the angle that the photo was taken at, but that photo sure looks faked or staged to me, I doubt if that bomb had cleared the door, it looks to close to the side of the doorway to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101663 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:40 am »
Is this fake too?  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101664 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:50 am »
Is this fake too?  :P :-DD

I wonder why you had to ask that  :-// :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101665 on: September 14, 2021, 10:07:34 am »

It might be just the angle that the photo was taken at, but that photo sure looks faked or staged to me, I doubt if that bomb had cleared the door, it looks to close to the side of the doorway to me.

The edge that the forklift toppled from is a metre or two from the door. The ramp behind the forklift gives it away. So the missile could easily be lined up to make it out the door.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101666 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:31 am »
Thank you Apple, my iPad Air is now becoming a brick because you no longer support it, suddenly overnight with zero warning I might add, Outlook no longer works on it. It worked fine yesterday until I had to change the password and now diddly squat. Turns out although the OS was only updated about 4 weeks ago to iOS10 iOS12, it now needs iOS12 iOS14 to run Outlook  :rant:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:31:53 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #101667 on: September 14, 2021, 10:13:35 am »
Just survived first day of biggest IT project rollout I’ve had to handhold. Complete success with a couple of minor issues, mostly client self inflicted. But scary shit.  :phew:

Food then TE therapy time  :-DD

You mean to say the software actually worked the first time? Holy shit, what is the world coming to?  :P :-DD

After 18 months of testing and fixing yes  :-DD

... and now you're live?  That just means you've entered the advanced phase of extended testing.

Start a new clock.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101668 on: September 14, 2021, 10:25:32 am »
Thank you Apple, my iPad Air your iPad Air which I rent is now becoming a brick because you no longer support it, suddenly overnight with zero warning I might add, Outlook no longer works on it. It worked fine yesterday until I had to change the password and now diddly squat. Turns out although the OS was only updated about 4 weeks ago to iOS10, it now needs iOS12 to run Outlook  :rant:

FTFY

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101669 on: September 14, 2021, 11:22:35 am »
Today's update on the glowing Tek 575 curve tracer  :popcorn:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-type-575-curve-tracer-repair-and-restoration/msg3687073/#msg3687073

just want to say thanks.

have enjoyed watching your progress.

ps  have to admit that following med is a tiny bit more fun because of the suspense associated with surgical/medical peril.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101670 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:49 am »
Today's update on the glowing Tek 575 curve tracer  :popcorn:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-type-575-curve-tracer-repair-and-restoration/msg3687073/#msg3687073

just want to say thanks.

have enjoyed watching your progress.

ps  have to admit that following med is a tiny bit more fun because of the suspense associated with surgical/medical peril.

and GF activities. Vince do you have a GF to enter into the mix? Like, she could knock over an unobtainium part for the 575.

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, shakalnokturn

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101671 on: September 14, 2021, 11:33:56 am »
I'd rather be near a well maintained nuclear weapon than near one of the Cobalt sources...

Not confined to the campuses, unfortunately. Don't go near scrapyards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-60#Incidents_involving_medical_radiation_sources

TE too. A lot of 30's-60's aircraft instruments and some TE meters were luminised with Radium based paint Some radio's, notably the "19 Set" were as well. A lot of surplus meters got into hombrew TE. Thee are no longer luminous but still rdioactive. They also tend to leak Radon and the leaves decay products   on nearby items. They can often be identified visually. The radioactive paint is typically a yellow/brown colour like it's nicotine stained.  Often only the needle and significant value / marks are luminised. Another use of radium is in some humidity meters, notably the "Dewpointer"
t's not just Radium, Tritium and Ni63 is also found in instruments that rely on ionisation. An example is the 3M model 703 static field meter. These csn be found on ebay e.g.  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124461079391? but should not be. Apart from being against ebay rules, in the USA this instrument is subject to an NRC general licence and is not transferrable. If you don't use it any more or it is faulty it has to be returned to 3M (or a licenced disposal site but they will charge $$$).  I have a 703, differernt rules here.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101672 on: September 14, 2021, 11:34:56 am »
Thank you Apple, my iPad Air your iPad Air which I rent is now becoming a brick because you no longer support it, suddenly overnight with zero warning I might add, Outlook no longer works on it. It worked fine yesterday until I had to change the password and now diddly squat. Turns out although the OS was only updated about 4 weeks ago to iOS10, it now needs iOS12 to run Outlook  :rant:

FTFY
I can't be renting it otherwise they would want it back after a set time period, or charge me again to extend the rental period  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101673 on: September 14, 2021, 11:43:05 am »

The edge that the forklift toppled from is a metre or two from the door. The ramp behind the forklift gives it away. So the missile could easily be lined up to make it out the door.

McBryce.

Yep, not fake, I've seen the original USAF safety report it came from. Drivre could not see edge and went out too far trying to make sure the tail of the weapon cleared the door. Should have had a banksman.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:59:54 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101674 on: September 14, 2021, 12:33:01 pm »

TE too. A lot of 30's-60's aircraft instruments and some TE meters were luminised with Radium based paint Some radio's, notably the "19 Set" were as well. A lot of surplus meters got into hombrew TE. Thee are no longer luminous but still rdioactive. They also tend to leak Radon and the leaves decay products   on nearby items. They can often be identified visually. The radioactive paint is typically a yellow/brown colour like it's nicotine stained.  Often only the needle and significant value / marks are luminised. Another use of radium is in some humidity meters, notably the "Dewpointer"
t's not just Radium, Tritium and Ni63 is also found in instruments that rely on ionisation. An example is the 3M model 703 static field meter. These csn be found on ebay e.g.  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124461079391? but should not be. Apart from being against ebay rules, in the USA this instrument is subject to an NRC general licence and is not transferrable. If you don't use it any more or it is faulty it has to be returned to 3M (or a licenced disposal site but they will charge $$$).  I have a 703, differernt rules here.

Around 1970 a schoolfriend put his fobwatch against the school's geiger counter. It was more radioactive than the school's most radioactive source, and was sent to Harwell to be destroyed.

Must buy a geiger counter and put it against some LoSalt (60%KCl) sometime.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf