Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16495037 times)

zrq, IRFP and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101025 on: September 09, 2021, 07:53:44 pm »

How do you get Gefahr from the initials FARA?

The only real "Fara" danger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrah_Fawcett (at least when I was young).

McBryce.

Oh, it's not an acronym. It's a common Germanic word, "Fara" in Swedish, or "Gefahr" in German, i.e "Danger". As an adjective, it's "Farlig" or "Gefährlich".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101026 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:28 pm »
Oh gewd laird... Speaking of "attack of the globflies"; I just made the mistake of putting "dash cam" in my Amazon search.  :scared:

Even on a price-limited Prime-next-day-only search, almost a full page of "sponsored" hits.  :palm:

Last time  I shopped these things there were like a dozen to choose from, and two of them were the Mobius and GoPro, which I already have from my FPV quadcopter habit.

Sweet biscuits and gravy, there has to be something budget that isn't just cheap shit, but finding it in this sea of China-direct gizmos... Ifni save me...

mnem
*swarmed*
https://dashcamtalk.com/
OMFG the learning curve here is steep. My headache is back with a vengeance. |O

Of course their favorite budget dashcam, the Xaomi/70mai family, is evidently hated on Amazon.ca . I already have a Xaomi GoPro-type action cam & it is freaking amazing for the price; that experience alone would recommend their dashcams to me if I could get them with Prime. >:(

I think I'm going to shop something a little less stressful for awhile... like chainsaws or Kevlar...

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:09:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, duckduck

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101027 on: September 09, 2021, 07:59:34 pm »

What I'm really looking for is a supply of adaptors for 4 mm male to 4 mm female bananas and forks to 4 mm female bananas so that I can use standard safety shrouded test leads on other meters that cannot be retrofitted with safety sockets.

Any ideas, eBay has given me a supplier of 4 mm male to female adaptors, so its the fork to female that seems to rather hard to locate.

Homebrew:

The rings or forks are standard stranded wire terminations that match by chance the outer diameter of these nice tubes that have 4mm inner diameter. Don't ask me where to buy these, I found them lingering around in a long time forgotten box at work. Might be extra long crimp ferrules for 10mm² wires?

I've bought brass tubing from Albion Alloys for a non-TE project, available in Metric & Imperial sizes.
https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/round-square-tube-sheet-metal-ptfe-nylon/albion-alloys-precision-metals/albion-alloys-standard-brass-round-tube-metric/
https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/round-square-tube-sheet-metal-ptfe-nylon/albion-alloys-precision-metals/albion-alloys-standard-brass-tube-round-imperial/

They have copper tubing in Metric too, is 4.1mm I.D. any good, or too small?
https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product-category/round-square-tube-sheet-metal-ptfe-nylon/albion-alloys-precision-metals/albion-alloys-standard-round-copper-tube/

I guess they won't be the only supplier of thin brass & copper tubing.

David
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:05:02 pm by factory »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101028 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:34 pm »

No I think it actually a replacement for the hp 404A, which is a portable battery operated valve voltmeter. The 403A is tiny compared with it's hollow state ancestors.

Yes, that fits much better as predecessor. I didn't observe the battery part. OTOH, my 427 (Hi, BD!) has the mains option, and I've never run it off battery anyway, so didn't think of it. The 400H obviously is mains only. Mine must be made in Germany; it's got the DIN 49 491 hot appliance inlet that's common on toasters and waffle irons, and was very common before the introduction of the C15 / C16 kettle plug. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101029 on: September 09, 2021, 08:14:53 pm »
Grr  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101030 on: September 09, 2021, 08:51:11 pm »

Just for you bd.

because it sounds like you could use a giggle.  ;)

mnem
for the lulzz.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:52:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101031 on: September 09, 2021, 09:13:35 pm »
What the hell? Are they just using random word generators or something these days for product names?

I will use one for my response  :)

Only took clicking it about 400 times for that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101032 on: September 09, 2021, 09:23:47 pm »
What the hell? Are they just using random word generators or something these days for product names?

I will use one for my response  :)

Only took clicking it about 400 times for that  :-DD

I once built a "Statements of Architecture" generator for a now ex-girlfriend. Idea was to make up pretentious art judgements from a set of phrase pieces. Just a bit of Perl juggling random bits and bobs from arrays. Quite fun, for 5 minutes or so.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101033 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:33 pm »

Been the norm for at least 15 years here to spit out company names and car names.

Result, all companies have nonsensical names that all look and sound similar so when you hear a name you have no idea what the company is/does, and you can easily mistake one for another.

For example I have long given up trying to remember how the electricity and gas suppliers here have renamed themselves. I just call them by their old obsolete historical names, which made sense: " EDF " ( "Electricité De France" ) and GDF ( " Gaz De France ")....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101034 on: September 09, 2021, 09:34:22 pm »
That always annoyed me. I named my limited company the most insidious sounding dystopian company name I could possibly come up with just to troll recruiters. And no I'm not posting it here as you can link it right back to me via companies house  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101035 on: September 09, 2021, 09:35:09 pm »

Use a business or product name generator!   :-DD

Like this one - https://namelix.com/

Here's just a small sample of business names for "Test Equipment". It's kindof fun just to see what it comes up with.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101036 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:10 pm »
They're all better than Keysight  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, shakalnokturn

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101037 on: September 09, 2021, 09:47:43 pm »
Here you go Bd. Some sage advice I wish I had heeded to in my younger years.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101038 on: September 09, 2021, 09:49:11 pm »

BWAHAHAHA!!!

Oh lordy...  I just posted that because the silly-looking seal face made me giggle. I didn't even care aboot the name. I figured it would be good for a moment's diversion; I couldn't have done better if I'd tried.  ;D

mnem
The best nerd-snipes are the accidental ones.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:56:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101039 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:32 pm »
TDS210, stripped down, screen desoldered to provide better access and old dodgy BNC sockets removed, new ones ordered. Because of the size of the screen, had to crank up the Duratool desolder gun to 460C get enough heat into it but with a little gentle prying while heating each peg, the screen came away easily. BNC similarly needed plenty of heat and sockets wriggled and pried to extract the pins from the PCB.

Cleaning the board is next process while I await delivery of the new sockets from RS. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101040 on: September 09, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »

Use a business or product name generator!   :-DD

Like this one - https://namelix.com/

Here's just a small sample of business names for "Test Equipment". It's kindof fun just to see what it comes up with.

Heh... I tried with just one keyword: fuckhead

None stood out at all, especially for relevance, except this one caught my eye because "think scaly" and somebody is actually squatting on the domain:

mnem

that's it... I'm registering penisfingers.com
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:12:41 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139, shakalnokturn, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101041 on: September 09, 2021, 10:18:07 pm »
TDS210, stripped down, screen desoldered to provide better access and old dodgy BNC sockets removed, new ones ordered. Because of the size of the screen, had to crank up the Duratool desolder gun to 460C get enough heat into it but with a little gentle prying while heating each peg, the screen came away easily. BNC similarly needed plenty of heat and sockets wriggled and pried to extract the pins from the PCB.

Cleaning the board is next process while I await delivery of the new sockets from RS.

Def a job better done with hot air (and/or a preheater). Good you got lucky and didn't delaminate the GND fill.  :-+

mnem
*hoping for some BBQ in the near future*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101042 on: September 09, 2021, 10:38:09 pm »

Def a job better done with hot air (and/or a preheater). Good you got lucky and didn't delaminate the GND fill.  :-+

mnem
I really doubt that you could do that with hot air,  both sides of that PCB around that area have large metal screening cans, I think the heat trapped between the board and the screens would have cooked, and the air may have moved a lot of the SMD parts around the area. In order to remove the other screening can, you first have to remove the one I did.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101043 on: September 09, 2021, 10:57:26 pm »
Tek  TPS 2024 turned up yesterday.
I knew that the BNC's were missing the Teflon insulation, I knew the batteries were on their last leg, but somehow the seller forgot to mention the LCD was defective...  :bullshit:
At least the inputs seem to be working as intended.

Anyone know of a cheap replacement for the CSTN LCD in this? The original is a Kyocera KCS057QV1AJ-G39, cheapest I've found that looks compatible is 77€ from China.
Also interested if anyone can identify the manufacturer/model of the BNC sockets. I suppose I may be able to pull some Teflon from other types of BNC though.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101044 on: September 09, 2021, 11:01:04 pm »

mnem
I really doubt that you could do that with hot air,  both sides of that PCB around that area have large metal screening cans, I think the heat trapped between the board and the screens would have cooked, and the air may have moved a lot of the SMD parts around the area. In order to remove the other screening can, you first have to remove the one I did.

I was thinking of the hot air as preheating for removing the BNCs, but it would help with the tin too. I've done exactly that job a few times, and it is a bastard; hot air right on the body of the BNC and surrounding fill makes them come loose a lot easier vs just using an iron, and much less chance of delaminating the fill or pulling the vias out with the pins as you actually are working at a lower temperature.

I wasn't slighting your technique; I really felt it was lucky that you didn't damage anything having to crank the heat up like that. It seems these boards with huge fills right on top of delicate bits are almost deliberately made to thwart repair.  :-//

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #101045 on: September 09, 2021, 11:09:19 pm »

I think I'm going to shop something a little less stressful for awhile... like chainsaws AND Kevlar...

mnem
 :o

There, FTFY.  I highly recommend shopping for both together.  (Kevlar pants/chaps as part of your PPE)  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101046 on: September 09, 2021, 11:15:29 pm »
I knew that the BNC's were missing the Teflon insulation, I knew the batteries were on their last leg, but somehow the seller forgot to mention the LCD was defective...  :bullshit:

Anyone know of a cheap replacement for the CSTN LCD in this? The original is a Kyocera KCS057QV1AJ-G39, cheapest I've found that looks compatible is 77€ from China.
Also interested if anyone can identify the manufacturer/model of the BNC sockets. I suppose I may be able to pull some Teflon from other types of BNC though.

Well at least now you know why it was cheap ! Get what you pay for etc !  ;D

Maybe don't waste your time and just flog it as is, with a little markup to cover what you paid to get it shipped ?!  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101047 on: September 09, 2021, 11:17:13 pm »

It looks like your $77 find is the cheap one; everything I could find from here was ~$100 more.

Couldn't find the datasheet either, but the one for KCS057QV1AJ-G23 (attached) might be close enough to help you find a substitute...?

mnem
*toddles off to the park with the kids*

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #101048 on: September 09, 2021, 11:19:13 pm »

And charity names...

"Contact the elderly" gave the idea that it allowed elderly people to remain in touch with each other and part of society. It has been re-branded "Re-engage", which sounds like something out of "Top Gear" or "Star Trek" or a dating agency.

"Royal National Institute for the Deaf" rebranded itself as "Action on Hearing Loss" - and 10 years later has just re-rebranded itself as RNID for obvious reasons.

And never forget "Royal Mail" -> "Consignia" -> "Royal Mail".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101049 on: September 09, 2021, 11:32:44 pm »

And charity names...

"Contact the elderly" gave the idea that it allowed elderly people to remain in touch with each other and part of society. It has been re-branded "Re-engage", which sounds like something out of "Top Gear" or "Star Trek" or a dating agency.

"Royal National Institute for the Deaf" rebranded itself as "Action on Hearing Loss" - and 10 years later has just re-rebranded itself as RNID for obvious reasons.

And never forget "Royal Mail" -> "Consignia" -> "Royal Mail".

Well what you are saying is giving me HOPE ! At least in the UK seems like they eventually saw the light and REVERTED back to the old meaningful name ! Now here is hoping France would follow.... I know, probably not !  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf