Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17735411 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100925 on: September 09, 2021, 03:29:23 am »
Dwagon looks like you made substantial changes to your message WHILE I was replying to the original version, you are making my life difficult you know !  :-DD

Yeah, I do that.  :-//

When I realize that something I've said means something which makes perfect sense inside my own head within the framework of my own experience, but probably does not to anyone else, I try to clarify so as to avoid some of the really aggravating misunderstandings that can happen as a result of this medium of communication.

I generally try not to make any changes which alter the core meaning of what I'm trying to say; only to direct the reader's attention to a specific point rather than more broad generalities which almost always find their way to someone they will offend.

mnem
 :blah:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:41:36 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100926 on: September 09, 2021, 03:39:55 am »
Dwagon not sure what subject you are replying to ... BD's handdrill or the transistor meter ?!  :o

If the latter, then you basically agree 100% with me which I am NOT used to ! I am kinda shocked, need to go outside get some fresh air to recover from such an unexpected and improbable event !  ;D

Looks like moving to Brampton transformed you into a lovely  Dwagon, I think I will get used to it quickly, keep at it !!  :D

Ummm... no. Not agreeing on your core argument, that it is just marketing wank. My original response clearly stated it was more than just that, and my entire point has not changed one iota.

As for the drill... it was a simple, convenient example and any coincidental similarity to any other discussion in here was just that: coincidence. But I'm pretty sure you knew that. ;)

mnem
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar a stinky prop." ~some comedian somewhere
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100927 on: September 09, 2021, 03:42:14 am »
Dwagon looks like you made substantial changes to your message WHILE I was replying to the original version, you are making my life difficult you know !  :-DD

Yeah, I do that.  :-//

When I realize that something I've said means perfect sense inside my own head within the framework of my own experience, but probably does not to anyone else, I try to clarify so as to avoid some of the really aggravating misunderstandings that can happen as a result of this medium of communication.

I generally try not to make any changes which alter the core meaning of what I'm trying to say; only to direct the reader's attention to a specific point rather than more broad generalities which almost always find their way to someone they will offend.

mnem
 :blah:

But.... but... if you do that you are not the Dwagon we know anymore, all the fun is gone !  :-DD

Don't get me wrong, I  LIKE the dwagon you just described, just gonna need some time to get used it !  :-DD

Maybe we should hire a new recruit to replace what the old Dwagon used to be ?! Not ? OK....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 04:17:10 am by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100928 on: September 09, 2021, 03:47:31 am »
Dwagon not sure what subject you are replying to ... BD's handdrill or the transistor meter ?!  :o

If the latter, then you basically agree 100% with me which I am NOT used to ! I am kinda shocked, need to go outside get some fresh air to recover from such an unexpected and improbable event !  ;D

Looks like moving to Brampton transformed you into a lovely  Dwagon, I think I will get used to it quickly, keep at it !!  :D

Ummm... no. Not agreeing on your core argument, that it is just marketing wank. My original response clearly stated it was more than just that, and my entire point has not changed one iota.

mnem

I read you carefully but I honestly don't see where it was more than just marketing. You said it was useful to the customer for reason X or Y, not denying that.. marketing has several roles... but it's still marketing to me ?! Again, not saying Marketing is bad, depends what it consists of and why you do it !
If the goal was ONLY to inform the user of key technical specs, then it would land in the spec sheet, not plastered all over the product itself. Imagine if did that with cars to list all the ECUs in them, like dozens of them nowadays... and a write on the bonnet jsut how many airbags it has, or what not...it's important to some, but it does not warrant decorating the car's body work with it !  :o

Anyway, I can't believe how much bandwidth got wasted about this... let's leave it at that ! I sure will...  NEXT !  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:49:11 am by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100929 on: September 09, 2021, 03:57:24 am »
*sigh*

mnem
I suppose I do deserve it... Karma and all that.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #100930 on: September 09, 2021, 04:13:13 am »
Pats oneself on the back for a quite reasonable week of sales by splashing out on a 2nd 24" monitor to couple to the new PC.  :)

Philips 241P4Q Monitor 24" LED Built in Webcam VGA/DVI,/DP Off-Lease A- Grade was its description and it arrived neat as a pin  :clap: and already the 3 port USB hub in it has been put to work freeing up the USB ports on the mini PC.
Just gotta love plug n play stuff but still W10 needed a bit of  :horse: to have displays configured how I like em.

Now off to Discord to see if the Mic and camera work...........
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100931 on: September 09, 2021, 05:00:05 am »

mnem

I read you carefully but I honestly don't see where it was more than just marketing. You said it was useful to the customer for reason X or Y, not denying that.. marketing has several roles... but it's still marketing to me ?! Again, not saying Marketing is bad, depends what it consists of and why you do it !
If the goal was ONLY to inform the user of key technical specs, then it would land in the spec sheet, not plastered all over the product itself. Imagine if did that with cars to list all the ECUs in them, like dozens of them nowadays... and a write on the bonnet jsut how many airbags it has, or what not...it's important to some, but it does not warrant decorating the car's body work with it !  :o

Anyway, I can't believe how much bandwidth got wasted about this... let's leave it at that ! I sure will...  NEXT !  ;D

Okay... lets use your car example. The outside of the car does come with a number of markings which serve similar purpose, and tell you a great many very important things you need to know when choosing a vehicle to buy, or even which one to drive this morning.

First, the brand name. This tells you not only who made it, but the specific marque tells you to a very narrow range the base level of luxury of the vehicle, vs the level of basically functional vehicle that is associated with that marque.

The model tells you a great many things; whether it is intended to be primarily a coupe or sedan, a truck, a wagon or a SUV. Or a boat. ;) Further markings indicate the trim package within that model, so that just walking down a row at the Rent-a-Car, you know to within a few points the interior feature set. And finally, most vehicles will tell you something aboot the engine; a displacement or whether it is a 4/6/8 cylinder engine or even electric/hybrid. On performance vehicles, this is aboot the peen (also an important consideration for some folks)... while on a SUV, this is also aboot whether it is a good economical ride, or whether it can pull a decent-sized trailer or may be more suited to a fanny pack.

Oh, and then there's your airbag example. Most cars made in the last couple decades have their locations pretty clearly marked on the interior; with the number of substantial litigations over deaths associated with airbags and children, this is as much a matter of liability for the manufacturer as it is marketing.

The datasheet is great for detailed information, but nobody in their right mind would expect everybody to consult the relevant datasheet on every last thing every time they choose a tool to use; that's just plain impractical.

These little "maker's plaque" type markings are important for the day-to-day use of an item, as they convey what the maker feels is the core purpose of the product.

That definitely is more than just marketing wank.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #100932 on: September 09, 2021, 05:43:32 am »
It works!  (mostly)

Some of the switches need some cleaning, as it took some exercise to get the polarity (PNP-NPN switch) to connect well enough to put the initial point of the trace in the right spot - you position it in the lower left corner in NPN, then adjust the 'variable' control on the time base to position it at the upper right when the 7CT1N is switched to PNP mode - it would often only go to mid scale rather than the top, and it took some working of the switch to get it solidly up there.  Seems a bit of a freshening up is in order.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100933 on: September 09, 2021, 05:56:37 am »
It works!  (mostly)

Some of the switches need some cleaning, as it took some exercise to get the polarity (PNP-NPN switch) to connect well enough to put the initial point of the trace in the right spot - you position it in the lower left corner in NPN, then adjust the 'variable' control on the time base to position it at the upper right when the 7CT1N is switched to PNP mode - it would often only go to mid scale rather than the top, and it took some working of the switch to get it solidly up there.  Seems a bit of a freshening up is in order.

-Pat

Ok, I'm sold. Which 7000 series should I buy to make good use of a 7CT1N? The 7904 looks interesting with it's 500MHz BW. In actuality though, my main use for an analog scope is for looking at analog audio and sometimes analog video (NTSC/PAL) signals. Or perhaps I'll need two mainframes. One for audio/video, and another for showing off that curve tracer, with one 3-slot mainframe/large screen and one 4-slot mainframe/smaller screen.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100934 on: September 09, 2021, 06:01:05 am »
It works!  (mostly)

-Pat

Looking good!

Can’t wait to get mine up and running  :-+

I see you were lucky enough to get a fixture with yours. Not so lucky here so I’m going to have to make one :(

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #100935 on: September 09, 2021, 06:04:03 am »

These little "maker's plaque" type markings are important for the day-to-day use of an item, as they convey what the maker feels is the core purpose of the product.

That definitely is more than just marketing wank.

This too. One could argue that the yellow "<" and the word "FARA" are "Jet engine marketing", but as having once been qualified to work on an civilian airport apron area, I promise there's another purpose  :-DD

This individual aircraft, a SAAB J32B Lansen, fvnr 32569, was delivered 1959 and served as all-weather interceptor at a few different wings. In 1972 it was rebuilt into a J32E ECM platform, and served in that rôle up to about 1998.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100936 on: September 09, 2021, 06:13:25 am »
It works!  (mostly)

-Pat

Ok, I'm sold. Which 7000 series should I buy to make good use of a 7CT1N? The 7904 looks interesting with it's 500MHz BW. In actuality though, my main use for an analog scope is for looking at analog audio and sometimes analog video (NTSC/PAL) signals. Or perhaps I'll need two mainframes. One for audio/video, and another for showing off that curve tracer, with one 3-slot mainframe/large screen and one 4-slot mainframe/smaller screen.

I think pretty much any one of them would work.  Hell, collect the whole set!   >:D >:D

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AaronLee

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100937 on: September 09, 2021, 06:14:40 am »
I concur!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100938 on: September 09, 2021, 06:24:34 am »
It works!  (mostly)

-Pat

Looking good!

Can’t wait to get mine up and running  :-+

I see you were lucky enough to get a fixture with yours. Not so lucky here so I’m going to have to make one :(

Actually, I got the fixture last year for the 576.  They occasionally show up on the bay for not terrible $$ if you keep an eye out and grab one quick.  I dunno what's with the perceived value on ebay for Tek transistor test fixtures - people seem to think they're made of solid gold with what they're asking for them.  Crazy.

Good luck getting yours up and going!

-Pat

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100939 on: September 09, 2021, 06:29:06 am »
It works!  (mostly)

-Pat

I think pretty much any one of them would work.  Hell, collect the whole set!   >:D >:D

-Pat

You're right.  :-+ How dumb of me to think otherwise. It might take a while, but if I have the whole set, then there's no issue with me worrying about if I chose the wrong one. And of course a complete set of plugins to match. That ought to keep me busy for a couple of years trying to find good deals on all that gear.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100940 on: September 09, 2021, 06:33:19 am »

Actually, I got the fixture last year for the 576.  They occasionally show up on the bay for not terrible $$ if you keep an eye out and grab one quick.  I dunno what's with the perceived value on ebay for Tek transistor test fixtures - people seem to think they're made of solid gold with what they're asking for them.  Crazy.

-Pat

Yes that's the problem here. The guy I bought the plugin off is selling the fixtures separately at £80 a go.

I'm going to make one though - not difficult. DPDT switch, two transistor sockets and three banana plugs in a box  :-//

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #100941 on: September 09, 2021, 06:44:24 am »

That's the beauty of modular, you have to have the set. Large part of buying the 5440 was that there's a rare as hen's teeth Audio SA for it, the 5L4N, which I slightly foolishly hope to find some day at price compatible to my inner Ferengi.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100942 on: September 09, 2021, 06:45:28 am »

-Pat

Yes that's the problem here. The guy I bought the plugin off is selling the fixtures separately at £80 a go.

I'm going to make one though - not difficult. DPDT switch, two transistor sockets and three banana plugs in a box  :-//

Nuts, huh?  Sad thing is, apparently people will pay that.  I was on the verge of cobbling something together myself when I found the combo one on line.  On the bright side, it should be easy enough to build something, and perhaps keep an eye out for an OEM one for some time in the future.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100943 on: September 09, 2021, 06:50:32 am »
In other news.......we got nominated !  :o  :wtf:
https://www.apac-insider.com/awards/business-awards/

Not sure if to accept.  :-//

Can't find the list with the nominees.  :-//
And no, subscribing is not an option.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100944 on: September 09, 2021, 07:05:11 am »
Pump, pump it up, why your hands are shaking !!!  :-DD

https://www.ebay.de/itm/233194360196

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100945 on: September 09, 2021, 07:36:50 am »
I’m surprised anyone uses those things at all. They are horrible.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100946 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:57 am »
I have one of those. They aren't that horrible.

https://www.ebay.de/p/2217990945

NAWTS
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100947 on: September 09, 2021, 08:06:24 am »

A 3 bay mainframe is better as you will get larger screen.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, AaronLee

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #100948 on: September 09, 2021, 08:09:36 am »
I’m surprised anyone uses those things at all. They are horrible.

I don't know about those excessively cheap suckers, but I find this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desoldering-reworking-tools/3437253 quite usable.

It really helps to have a flexible silicone nozzle, since that will bend to fit near the pins and, when you need to empty the solder out, the tip is simply pulled away without tedious unscrewing.

The only thing is that, as with all these devices, you have to be careful that no small solder flakes fall out the nozzle.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100949 on: September 09, 2021, 08:16:45 am »
I like the old school Soldapullt DS 017.

Easy to use one-handed, good suction and draws in a high volume.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf