Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16499040 times)

SingleBitError and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100825 on: September 08, 2021, 09:28:33 am »
So his 5D lens is supposed to give him 20cm working distance which is very generous... but in practice he says it's more like 12cm.... I guess one has to take into account its particular eye sight problems as well to get the complete picture so to speak !  ;D

Well, it's more that if you drop the "at infinity" simplifying assumption you have to do some real physics to work out what's going on. As soon as you move closer than 'infinity' to one side of the lens you shorten the focal distance the other side of the lens - at least I think I remember it works that way, I've probably used the optics I learned at school only half a dozen times since.

That's why it's simpler to just measure it in real life rather than make assumptions based on theory... a ruler is simpler and faster and describes the actual reality without resorting to any math !   ;D

So, 12cm or so, said BU... it's waaaaay more than what I have right now with my crappy Optivisor thing of a bob, so that's all I need to know !
Wide field of view is also a huge and much welcome improvement ! Just checked, the lamp costs 60 Euros or so... it's OK, can do that. Add the lens on top of it, still affordable for something that works well.. and that you only have to buy once.
Definitely on my shopping list !  ;D

What magnfication i your visor? Some come wth a set of lenses. The big lens is 7 so 2.75x magnification. The 20D insert is 6x and much closer.
I keep 3 optivisors on the bench from 2x to 3.5x 2.5 is about as high as I can o for comfortable soldering etc.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #100826 on: September 08, 2021, 09:54:26 am »
All the recent photos of Tek plugins now has me convinced I need a Tek mainframe. I knew it was a bad idea for my pocketbook to hang out in this thread. Well, first off I need to decide which mainframe well be best suited for my usage.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, FransW, Kosmic, cyclin_al, srb1954

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100827 on: September 08, 2021, 10:08:11 am »

The German word for a rectifier is Gleichrichter. There's the old joke of calling it a gleich riecht er - it'll smell soon.

That would be me in a restaraunt.    Die Reichnung bitte  --> The smell please.

"Die Rechnung bitte"  is the bill please.     

I really should stick to English and pointing.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100828 on: September 08, 2021, 10:34:08 am »

The German word for a rectifier is Gleichrichter. There's the old joke of calling it a gleich riecht er - it'll smell soon.

That would be me in a restaraunt.    Die Reichnung bitte  --> The smell please.

"Die Rechnung bitte"  is the bill please.     

I really should stick to English and pointing.

A German in an english restaurant: "I become the steak, please."
Waiter: "I hope not so, sir."

:-DD :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100829 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:04 am »

I believe I spider.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100830 on: September 08, 2021, 11:29:17 am »
In my book, there are two kinds of multimeter probes: Hirschmann and the rest.

It could be your book needs one more page: Probemaster.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100831 on: September 08, 2021, 11:32:34 am »

I believe I spider.

Brother, I think, you are on the woodway. This is really not the yellow of the egg.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100832 on: September 08, 2021, 11:38:29 am »
Because we all need component levity   :-+

I think selenium rectifiers smell more like rotten fish when they fail. Once smelt never forgotten. And it lingers even more than Rifa smoke. Perhaps forced failure is different.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100833 on: September 08, 2021, 11:41:11 am »
Zahnen bitte.    (Teething please)

Next time, I'll just leave some Euros on the table and walk out.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100834 on: September 08, 2021, 11:46:11 am »

Brother, I think, you are on the woodway. This is really not the yellow of the egg.

I can't reverse engineer that one.    Bruder, Ich glaube (denke) du bist auf dem Waldweg   --- But I really don't speak German  so  I must be missing something.     Waldweg is more like forest trail.  maybe I'm using the wrong word.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:48:18 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100835 on: September 08, 2021, 11:50:12 am »

I can't reverse engineer that one.    Bruder, Ich glaube (denke) du bist auf dem Waldweg   --- But I really don't speak German  so  I must be missing something.     Waldweg is more like forest trail.  maybe I'm using the wrong word.

"Du bist auf dem Holzweg." -- DeepL Translator --> "You're barking up the wrong tree."

Holz - wood
Weg - way
Holzweg - woodway (direct (and wrong) translation)

HTH   :)

Edit:

"Das ist nicht das Gelbe vom Ei." -- DeepL Translator --> "That's not the best thing in the world."

Das Gelbe vom Ei --> Eidotter, which is egg yolk.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 11:53:56 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100836 on: September 08, 2021, 11:54:05 am »
DeepL rules.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100837 on: September 08, 2021, 12:08:05 pm »
Anybody in need of some Tesla MAA723 = µA723?

2x 50 pieces of them are available here (NAWTS):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133871141980

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133871142254

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100838 on: September 08, 2021, 12:14:17 pm »
Can’t see any items for sale from zhoefler here. Possibly not available in the UK.

Not sure what I’d do with 50 of them though  :popcorn:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100839 on: September 08, 2021, 12:23:47 pm »
The sticker in the previous post, warning of potential cancer and reproductive harm, was on a FUCKING DRYWALL KNIFE. What the hell are Californians doing with drywall mudding tools that gives them cancer and causes reproductive harm?  Using the handle as a sex toy?  Scraping the rubberized coating off and brewing toxic tea?  There’s such a thing as going too far with ridiculous warnings, and I think this more than qualifies.  At this rate, they should just make a list of stuff that DOESN'T cause cancer on the left coast - it would probably have less than a dozen things on it.

:palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :wtf:

-Pat

(Edit to add - I'm on the east coast in Connecticut, so it won’t cause me to get cancer or suffer reproductive harm)

I have suggested the "inverse warning" for California before myself.

My guess on this particular case is that it's a combination of over zealousness and ignorance - stainless blade "contains chromium" + no clue that in this form the chromium is (1) inaccessible, (2) in the wrong oxidation state to be the harmful hexavalent type (which is genuinely nasty).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100840 on: September 08, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
Anybody in need of some Tesla MAA723 = µA723?

2x 50 pieces of them are available here (NAWTS):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133871141980

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133871142254

From the proportions those are either very tall for TO-72 cans, or TESLA has crammed those into a TO-18 which would be a bit of a tight squeeze.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100841 on: September 08, 2021, 01:18:56 pm »
What magnfication i your visor?

I have.... NO IDEA !  ;D

I know/ knew (until yesterday's messages here...) nothing about dioptries / magnification levels when I bought it !
I was in a hurry to get "some" magnification, on  a budget, to try to repair an SMD board for a friend. This visor thing seemed the only thing I could afford at 10+ Euros or so, so I just went online and picked the cheapest one I could find. That was 3+ years ago so I of course long forgot what the ad said, and of course long tossed the packaging...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100842 on: September 08, 2021, 01:19:52 pm »
Tek plugin pile arrived. Grubby with added spidery goodness but as described. Very little corrosion and the important one is in pretty good condition.

Money shot of the 7CT1N. Needs some cleaning and a couple of switch springs replacing but in ok condition. No damaged knobs or controls. Will test when I get a mainframe, repair and use :)

The fate of the remaining plugins has to be decided. So far the following will likely happen:

7M11 - this is a monster of a plugin containing a bunch of delay lines and GR-874's. I will sell this as is.

7A15A - main knob broken. BER. This is really not very interesting. Probably strip for attenuator modules.

7A18 - channel selector knob broken. BER. Lots of good stuff inside. Strip for attenuator modules, knobs, ASICs.

7B50A - non delaying timebase. Will wait and see if it works in a mainframe or not. If it does I will sell it. If not I will strip for attenuator modules, knobs, parts.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100843 on: September 08, 2021, 01:22:50 pm »

... all of this for just a tiny box of switches  :o

I'll take the grief for that collateral assache as long as I also get the credit for remotely, and without any direct interaction, keeping said kids out of the skate park and/or blowing hundreds of dollars at the arcade for the last 2 days.  :-DD

mnem

Where do you even find videos like that?  That question was rhetorical and I already regret asking ...  :scared:

Actually, I was looking for any of the many variants on this cartoon... and that video popped up in the list. It made me snarff, so I used it instead.  :-DD

mnem
I may have been channeling my inner Beavis/Butthead... :o
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:24:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #100844 on: September 08, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »
Tek plugin pile arrived. Grubby with added spidery goodness but as described. Very little corrosion and the important one is in pretty good condition.

If no creepy crawlies came out it's all downhill.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100845 on: September 08, 2021, 01:30:28 pm »

If no creepy crawlies came out it's all downhill.  :-DD

Oh they came out but they were spiders and they were thoroughly dessicated!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100846 on: September 08, 2021, 01:31:38 pm »
OK, I'm not getting notified when someone posts to this thread. I was assuming it was dead today. Instead it's normal activity.  :wtf:

See......I never get the memos.  |O

I must be a mushroom. They keep me in the dark and feed me bullshit

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100847 on: September 08, 2021, 01:36:30 pm »

Money shot of the 7CT1N. Needs some cleaning and a couple of switch springs replacing but in ok condition. No damaged knobs or controls. Will test when I get a mainframe, repair and use :)

The fate of the remaining plugins has to be decided. So far the following will likely happen:

7M11 - this is a monster of a plugin containing a bunch of delay lines and GR-874's. I will sell this as is.

7A15A - main knob broken. BER. This is really not very interesting. Probably strip for attenuator modules.

7A18 - channel selector knob broken. BER. Lots of good stuff inside. Strip for attenuator modules, knobs, ASICs.

7B50A - non delaying timebase. Will wait and see if it works in a mainframe or not. If it does I will sell it. If not I will strip for attenuator modules, knobs, parts.

You now have a supply of knobs for the broken ones on the 475. May not be exact match but will work.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100848 on: September 08, 2021, 01:38:01 pm »
OK, I'm not getting notified when someone posts to this thread. I was assuming it was dead today. Instead it's normal activity.  :wtf:

See......I never get the memos.  |O

I must be a mushroom. They keep me in the dark and feed me bullshit

You need a notification to let you know something was posted here?? That's like having a notification that time has elapsed!  :-DD

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100849 on: September 08, 2021, 01:39:25 pm »
Newark (North American Farnell) is having a sale on their old line of multimeters. Their Tenma in-house brand. Most of them are rebranded Uni-T but for the price it's not that bad.

Input protection seem to be OK, Got 1000V ceramic fuse, solid input jack.   

From the silkscreen it seems to be a UT-171A rebrand. Those sold for almost 3 times that (2.89, actually, at todays USD rate) at Distrelec here, so yeah, nice buy.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut171a-pictures-and-first-impressions/

From the above thread, it appears street price at release 6-ish years ago was somewhere around $160-170, so still a good discount off that. joeqsmith said he sortof liked the UT-181, which I believe was UNI-T's flagship hh meter at the time.

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf