Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16503340 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100725 on: September 07, 2021, 04:57:20 pm »
urrrghhh... chiddlers at home and TV decides to have a nervous breakdown. Now trying to get all my router and schizz pulled together so my streaming boxes work on the other TV.

So much for a quiet morning afternoon relaxing with the TEA...  |O

mnem
Of course... no matter how many remotes I have, I can never find the one I need... ::)

Didn't they start school today up there? They did here. Full sessions with face masks required.
Over here, schools are now directed to remove all social distancing, special cleaning, face masks are not permitted and pupils are not allowed to self-isolate either, they must still attend schools. Parents who are concerned about their children's safety, and hold them back from school for any reason, now face prosecution and heavy fines.

The government appear to be suppressing all talk about Covid and acting as if it was never happening. Teachers are not at all happy about the situation either, and rightly so.

The scientists on the other hand, I understand, are saying that they think that we will need to have a hard lockdown during the school half-term if the number of hospital admissions and deaths continues to rise.  :palm: :wtf:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100726 on: September 07, 2021, 05:09:07 pm »
And finally. The #44 bulbs after a 10 day, 4 state journey simply to come from Philly because USPS doesn't know their ass from their elbow.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100727 on: September 07, 2021, 05:13:08 pm »
[..]

I am now starting to understand why 4 years ago, when I contacted a good friend in the US i San Francisco, and asked him to order some stuff from Mouser (a few CERMET trimmers to fix the storage and CRT board on my Tek 5111A scope... only Mouser had a good enough replacement somehow ! ) and forward it to me in France so I can avoid the $$$$ sum that Mouser wanted to export it to me.... he said to my dismay : "Look Vince, I would love to help you but I can't do that ! Our mail service here is so broken that it's not a good idea, trust me !!! ".

Ah, I can see that there are more Tektronix 5000-series enthusiasts here in this forum. The 5111A is a design from the early 1980s and for sure a nice one - I like its large storage CRT...

Good luck with your repair.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

OK my mistake ! Mine is NOT an 'A', just a regular/vanilla 5111 ! I don't know why I keep calling it a 5111A, I really must stop !  :scared:
...might because the only service manual Tekwiki provides is that of the 5111A, none for the 5111.

So the 5111 is mid-eighties design not early 80's. Hit the market in 1976 if one believe the Wiki. Given it's looks and internal construction/ design, it screams '70's design that's for sure !  I wish it weren't though, as it's the decade IMHO where instruments were the hardes to work on. No connectors or almost. Lots single wires going all over the place connecting board. Makes it a pain to pull a board or just flip it to the side to probe stuff on it or get access to an adjacent board... then remember where each wire goes !  :scared: 

I don't know what they did to the 'A' version in the '80s, though.. but as far as the service manual goes, the 'A' is just like the 5111, only tiny differences. So even the A is still very much a '70s design, regardless of when it hit the market...

I don't know if the 5000 scopes are gaining traction but well if you say so !  ;D  I do remember someone on here recently getting one though... a member in Germany.. Saskia ? Can't remember...  :-[

To be honest I don't like the 5000 scopes... as I said mostly because the '70s scopes/instruments in general are a pain to service and repair, and also because they invariably come in this portable/bench use "vertical" form factor, with the handle at the top and the CRT stacked on top of the plugins.

I know it makes a lot of sense to have this form factor...it's portable, it takes less space on the bench, and having the CRT at the top is practical as it's raised, easier to look at, and you can obfuscate it with probe wires, or just with your hand while fiddling with the controls on the plugins.... it is, for all practical purposes, the best form factor, I do admit it ! BUT.... it's just me, I know.. it's irrational, I know, it stupid, I know ... but... I just find this form factor ugly. I know, a highly scientific criteria to assess an instrument !  :scared:

However, one day, 5 years ago, as I was doing my daily search on our local French web site, a 5111 popped up that was rack mount (original pictures below), not vertical form factor. I don't know what it, but it was love at first sight ! I's like with women... it's not rational... either it "clicks" or it does not.

Looked gorgeous on the sellers pictures. Had EIGHT channels, all working, and a storage tube, and an extra large CRT, and guy wanted a reasonable sum for it, and nobody had yet bought it.... so I did !  :-+
When I saw it, I knew nothing about the 5000 series, the specs of these scopes or that the rack mount version was super rare and 99,999% of these scopes came in vertical form factor. I knew nothing of that. I simply saw that scope and it was just love at first sight. It's only when I received it that I started learning about them...

5 years later I still love it to bits and am over the moon that I bought it as in 5 years I saw only ONE other 5000 scope in rakc mount version, last year, and it was way overpriced, like 250 Euros (paid mine 85 or something IIRC).

However the good thing is that other than the form factor, it's strictly identical to the a "normal" 5000 scope. So I can just buy a vertical cabinet one which is common and cheap, to get parts if I need to !  ;D

For the same reasons, I don't like the 7000 scopes... but would love one if I can find one in rack mount version, but again super rare. Would want one with a decent B/W so a modern/late one, with a nice large CRT like my 5000, and cursors and readout. A 4 slots mainframe would be great but would be happy with a 3 slot instrument.

If it's anything like the the 5000, the scope is split in two distinct parts, the CRT and the plugin side. They are just bolted together with some brackets/angles, and of course different panels/covers... ISTR in the part manual Tek showed a kit with these parts, to let you switch / convert your scope from one form factor to the other.
Problem of course is that theses kits are unobtanium so I really do need to find at least one rack mount 7000 then only like the 5000, I can buy vertical cabinets just for parts if needed.

Anyway, I just love my little rack mount 5111 even with stellar 2MHz B/W, actually down to 1MHz with the 4channel plugins I have in it ! Don't care, still love it !  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al, duckduck, Peter_O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100728 on: September 07, 2021, 05:15:16 pm »
I wonder if the problem is driver shortage, I know we have a shortage of HGV drivers, maybe we have the same with white van drivers as a result of Brexit?

There was a shortage of drivers pre-brexit which has been exacerbated by the massive increase in home deliveries "because pandemic". Brexit may have had some effect, but based on the apparent national origins of delivery drivers that I've had call over the years I don't think the people who might have vanished because of Brexit made up a significant proportion of them.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #100729 on: September 07, 2021, 05:56:56 pm »
@Specmaster the situation you describe in schools may be the case where you are, but it is most certainly NOT the case here. Social distancing, masks, and and IPA hand rub are still in full use.

Regarding drills... as someone who uses them every working day, and with experience of about every brand there is, I feel qualified to express some firm opinions here.

Firstly, if you're just going to put a few holes in the wall to put up a curtain rail, buying a pro-sumer grade tool is massive overkill. Places like Screwfix and Toolstation have decent own-brand stuff for the DIY user, however AVOID Argos own-brand stuff like the plague; it appears to be made out of cottage cheese.

Second, SDS-Plus is superior in EVERY way to a normal chuck, for a hammer drill. There is no discussion to be had, it is a simple fact. You should never use a hammer drill for non-hammer stuff; even with a chuck adapter fitted to use HSS or whatever, it's a big numb lump, which gives you less control than you want, and runs at a much lower rpm than a decent combi, which will have a 2 or 3 speed gearbox. Good quality keyless chucks are essential in combi drills, keyed chucks are time consuming, unreliable, and much more prone to wear. Chuck keys are easily lost.

Third, since I mentioned control, let's deal with hole precision. It's about technique. That's it. You can have the top-of-the-line Hilti, and if your technique is bad, it'll make a shit hole (not a shit-hole, that's something else). Correct technique is to start slow, and only to use as much speed as necessary; more will make the bit flex and bounce, and your Xmm hole will become a 1.5Xmm hole.

Fourthly, all pro-sumer brands are equal. DeWalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, there's no difference. Hilti are not really any better, and are vastly more expensive. The only reason to go the Hilti route is if you lease your tools, which is expensive but gets you a 24/7 fast courier replace/repair service.

Point the fifth, cordless is superior to corded for convenience of use; you don't have a potentially heavy flex constantly getting in the way and getting stepped on by clumsy brickies etc. The only reason to use a corded hammer drill is for heavier duty stuff like chasing out with a chisel bit, or big (20mm+) holes. Though I have drilled a 1m deep 25mm hole through stone with my old Bosch 24V. It took a while...

What do I use at work? DeWalt. The reason? The set I wanted (SDS, impactor, combi, 2x 5Ah, fast charger) was on offer and way cheaper than the alternatives. Once you are in a brand you pretty much have to stay there, due to battery cost, or be prepared to start from scratch. Because I have DeWalt I was able to get a DeWalt 1/2" drive impact wrench (900lb/ft) bare (no battery) reasonably cheap, as I can use my existing batteries.

Oh, and just to clear up some definitions, since I have seen AvE call a combi a hammer drill:

Hammer drill:

Combi:

Impactor:

Impact wrench:

Those are the models I have with the exception of the impactor; mine has a three position torque limiter, which doesn't appear to be available now.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #100730 on: September 07, 2021, 06:15:40 pm »

I don't know if the 5000 scopes are gaining traction but well if you say so !  ;D  I do remember someone on here recently getting one though... a member in Germany.. Saskia ? Can't remember...  :-[

I recently got a 5440 which is lacking its -30V. Diagnosed to a suspect tant on the low voltage PSU board, and awaiting bench space. Mine is vertical. I did buy the manual in paper form too, because I prefer the foldouts to zooming PDFen. In the manual, yes, there is a section on rack conversion. I'm 100% with you, I'd love a rackmount scope. Proper analog master control room / comms centre / evil genius lab feeling there.

Edit: This is a proper evil genius prop, too. I want that, and the accompanying analog monitor device too. Probably need an AES3 matrix to round that out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:30:58 pm by mansaxel »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100731 on: September 07, 2021, 06:24:51 pm »
After sitting in front of racks for a couple of years they can sod off  :-DD

@AVGresponding: good review of drills. Throughly agree with it. I’m not going down the battery route because this is so infrequently used that it’d be eternally flat. I was after a low total spend which allows me to blow some holes in stuff to put new curtain rails up. The existing drill is a £35 Clarke combi NiCd which was painful and just tickled masonry.

On a positive note I’ve worked out where I can slide a drill press in so I will probably buy one next month  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:28:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100732 on: September 07, 2021, 06:32:55 pm »
Dang, I never realized MrCarlson had so many Tek scopes!

He's holding the poor things hostage and torturing them with his home brew contraptions  :popcorn:

I don't know who he thinks he's kidding with that piddling little aircon unit up in the corner. If he turned them all on he wouldn't need aircon, he'd need fire suppression.

If he turned them all on at once Canada's main fuse would blow, so he wouldn't need aircon anyway :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100733 on: September 07, 2021, 06:58:26 pm »
@AVGresponding, regarding schools, the info I gave I got from the BBC news website, so it should be factual  >:D seeing as they pretty much have become the official mouth piece of the government these days. I do however also accept that there will be certain councils that will defy the instructions and may even mount a challenge in the courts. I'm reasonably sure that a law firm is already looking at that now.

With regard to your review of drills, I can't argue against that as you use them far more than I do and what I have are combi drills, one is battery and the other mains and like bd139 I chose mains power for the latest one as they just don't get used enough to keep the batteries charged up, and they would just be flat each time I wanted to use a drill. Letting a battery discharge flat is not good for them, but they do get forgotten and left to go flat, fact.  Both of my combi drills have keyless chucks, and I'm very happy with them and have had zero issues with either one.

Like I said in my previous post, my SDS drill is very similar to the photo, with big arse rotary switch on top to switch from just hammer action to rotating with hammer, so it is really first and foremost for construction / demolition type work where the accuracy of the dia of any hole drilled with it is not the most important thing, and it certainly cannot drill small holes, but shove a chisel or a pointed bit in it and will make short work of breaking up concrete etc.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:50:07 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100734 on: September 07, 2021, 07:06:18 pm »
Didn’t catch the gist of the schools thing but there’s SFA going on here. Back to normal.

My drill is for putting wall plugs in. I’d buy something better for heavier jobs.

Anyway it arrived. Feels like it isn’t a piece of crap at least. Weighs more than the Clarke did with the batteries  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100735 on: September 07, 2021, 07:14:38 pm »
I Use DeWalt cordless tools. All 18V Li (20V in NorthAmerica due to lax consumer law) pro grade. I have a combo, impactor, vibrating saw/sander and angle grinder (bike thiefs delight).
Why DeWalt? They fell off the back of a van  :o
No literally, on the A14. I'd braked to about 5mph when I hit the box. It damaged the car but it was an old clunker I running between decent cars.
No identification inside and I didn't get the vans number. Police said I'd have to give them back if claimed within 6 months, but the driver would get a fine and points for insecure load and I could claim for the damage to my car. I still lhave the tools  :-+
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:19:49 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100736 on: September 07, 2021, 07:17:33 pm »
I wonder if the problem is driver shortage, I know we have a shortage of HGV drivers, maybe we have the same with white van drivers as a result of Brexit?

There was a shortage of drivers pre-brexit which has been exacerbated by the massive increase in home deliveries "because pandemic". Brexit may have had some effect, but based on the apparent national origins of delivery drivers that I've had call over the years I don't think the people who might have vanished because of Brexit made up a significant proportion of them.

Well what do you know. Just finished watching the TV news here and they had a piece on just that ! Shortage of truck drivers in the UK  ! ;D

Interviewed a few transport companies bosses. Said they are missing an astonishing number of drivers in the UK, right now 100.000 vacancies that they can't fulfill, no less !  :scared:

Said they increased salaries in a hurry by 10% to motivate people. Not quite enough to attract 100K people, but does help a bit. Interviewed a young 19yo lad who gave up his job in a restaurant to start driving trucks now, because of the better salary he said.
Bosses said they are paying to train people / new drivers, but it will take a lot of time to train 100K drivers of course !  :scared:

Said most of the 100K are indeed foreign people that left the country because of Brexit. Bosses are trying to get them back with better salaries, but they are prevented from doing so by the British authorities that refuse to deliver VISAs to foreigners because they say truck driver is a low skill job so no reason to import foreigners for that. Jobs must be taken by local / native UK residents, and nothing else.

So... looks like the situation in the UK is not going to improve drastically any time soon ! Will improve but very very slowly....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:35:53 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #100737 on: September 07, 2021, 07:20:41 pm »

Said most of the 100K are indeed foreign people that left because of Brexit. Bosses are trying to get them back with better salaries, but they are prevented from doing by the British authorities that refuse to deliver VISAs for foreigners because they say truck driver is low skill job so no reason to import foreigners for that. Jobs must be taken by local / native UK residents, and nothing else.

So... looks like the situation in the UK is not going to improve drastically any time soon ! Will improve but very very slowly....

If only the average Brexit voter was capable of passing the lorry driver test...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100738 on: September 07, 2021, 07:22:48 pm »
I wouldn’t eat soylent green made out of them.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100739 on: September 07, 2021, 07:25:16 pm »
Woot, Amazon have been, and I must say how disappointed I am with the lead kits, they will be going back. The actual meter leads themselves are fine, come with 2 pairs of screw in tips, 2 sets of very sharp for piercing cable insulation and 2 sets of normal points, cable is very soft and flexible. It is the adaptors that let the overall package down. To use the croc clips, you have to insert the adaptor that look like they are designed to allow shrouded leads to be used on earlier meters that only took 4mm banana plugs. Into these confusing adaptors, you then have to insert the meter probes. It's the same arrangement almost for the flat spade type adaptors for use on meters like AVO's that have the screw posts, so you end up with something like a solid 200mm long rigid pole sticking out from each meter post sidewise, epic fail. All it needs is for the spades and 4mm plug adaptor to accept in the other end, the shrouded 4mm plug and you then have complete interchangeability of leads between modern DMM's and the older style. The croc clips should then designed to be pushed onto the probes, job done. How hard can it be to get a design right? :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100740 on: September 07, 2021, 07:29:16 pm »
Guys, you're slacking

I was divided on whether I should post a 4018 or not.

McBryce.

Please don't double down on that joke!

Does no one actually have these parts? the last few all look snurched from other sites. I found a random PCB earlier and may/will post pictures on the appropriate page, or if I miss the page due to work, will post it anyway.  :horse:

David

As I do a lot of vintage computer repairs, yes, I have boxes of TTL and CMOS through-pin chips, I just couldn't be bothered looking for the correct part and photographing it when I can find a clear picture of one in seconds on the interwebs.

McBryce.

Here we are, one CD4023AE IC.

Edit: oops wrong picture, should have been this one.  :-DD

David

This is TEAnonymous. We can do both.  >:D

mnem
Good lord... only page 4023...  |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100741 on: September 07, 2021, 07:30:56 pm »

I recently got a 5440 which is lacking its -30V.

Wow, a 60MHz model, now I am left in the dust !  :-DD

Quote from: mansaxel
Diagnosed to a suspect tant on the low voltage PSU board, and awaiting bench space.

Should be very easy to fix, very simple linear supply and schematics available ! It's a week-end job at most   8)

Mine is vertical. I did buy the manual in paper form too, because I prefer the foldouts to zooming PDFen.

I love original printed manuals, but I still grab the PDF manual every time because when I trouble shoot I write stuff on the schematics as I probe around, and there is no way I will ruin an original printed copy of the manual of course ! So I am glad we have PDF's so I can print as many schematics as I want, take them to the bench with the scope and write stuff all over them as I probe around and measure stuff !
That's why I plan on getting one day or another, an old cheap black and white A3 printer or even better, a tracer.

I'm 100% with you, I'd love a rack mount scope. Proper analog master control room / comms centre / evil genius lab feeling there.

Yeah that's definitely part of my addiction for this form factor !  :-DD  Sometimes I am thinking of getting a little mobile 19" rack on wheels, that I can move around in the lab and use to host a few rack mount oldies. My 5000 scope, a 7000 scope if I ever find a model I like, in rack version, and also an old HP spectrum analyzer, and old RF synthesizer, stuff like that !  ;D   Then I would really feel like the mad scientist in his lab !  :-DD
??? it would also have the benefit of not filling precious shelf space above the bench, with boat anchors... not to mention they would be too heavy anyway. One is OK, but half a dozen of them no....

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:43:42 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100742 on: September 07, 2021, 07:32:05 pm »
Didn’t catch the gist of the schools thing but there’s SFA going on here. Back to normal.

My drill is for putting wall plugs in. I’d buy something better for heavier jobs.

Anyway it arrived. Feels like it isn’t a piece of crap at least. Weighs more than the Clarke did with the batteries  :-DD
By back to normal I take it that you mean pre Covid days for schools?

Your drill is very much like mine but about double the price, you have the forward / reverse switch on the side, mine is at the bottom and your hammer / normal switch is on the top, just behind the chuck, same as mine, its a slide from one side to the other. Mine is also heavy and feels like it will take a lot of hard work in its stride.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100743 on: September 07, 2021, 07:32:43 pm »
Combis are hopeless for any masonry drilling outside of cinder blocks.

I assure you I can drill a perfectly sized hole with any SDS hammer drill, it's purely down to the technique, unless of course the thing is buggered and spins out of true.

The Siglent scope arrived today, in exceptionally good packaging. It's very clean, and I had a bit of a play to test the basics. I have to say, the FFT is very unintuitive to use, but works well enough given the limitations. Aside from that it's quite a decent UI, and though it has a fan it's reasonably quiet. All in all quite pleased.

I'll post some pics this weekend.

Other arrivals this week: bag of approximately 1k 6.3mm female uninsulated spade connectors (price was good, £8 shipped, lifetime supply), Metcal SFV-CH15A (£8.50 shipped). Pending arrivals: Metcal SFV-CH25 (£9.90 shipped), a battery powered mini-chainsaw for £26 shipped (I really need better impulse control   :-DD  ), a Tek THS720 for £129 that appears to be as clean as the one factory got, that GW Instek scope that I need to move on asap   :palm:  , and a parts only digital lab scales.

I may have to uninstall ebay   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100744 on: September 07, 2021, 07:35:34 pm »
@AVGresponding, regarding schools, the info I gave I got from the BBC news website, so it should be factual  >:D seeing as they pretty much have become the official mouth piece of the government these days. I do however also accept that there will be certain councils that will defy the instructions and may even mount a challenge in the courts. I'm reasonably sure that a law firm is already looking at that now.

You have previous form for rather garbling news when you repeat it here.

Over here, schools are now directed to remove all social distancing, special cleaning, face masks are not permitted and pupils are not allowed to self-isolate either, they must still attend schools.

I looked at the BBC news website and I can't see those assertions supported. What I could see was

In England, all secondary-school pupils are being asked to take two lateral-flow tests at school - three to five days apart.
Schools are testing for Covid just before term starts and staggering the return of pupils to manage this.
Pupils who test positive must isolate at home for 10 days.
But this term, unless they test positive themselves, they will not have to self-isolate.
For schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, social-distancing measures have been relaxed.
In many ways, the responsibility has been handed over to head teachers to decide what common-sense measures are needed.
Depending on the layout and size of their school, some will decide to keep some of their one-way systems and crowd-control measures.
Face coverings are no longer routinely advised for staff or pupils in schools England and Wales, although they are still recommended in crowded spaces such as school buses.

That's all pretty much the opposite of what you said the BBC says.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100745 on: September 07, 2021, 07:43:14 pm »

If you want to extend TM500 plug-ins for repair, you can get a pre-made extender cable for cheap. I've used then to repair many TM-500 modules. They are listed on Ebay as JAMMA extender cables, for troubleshooting video game boards, but they use the same connector. They extend most pins. The only thing is you need to cut the trace between p1/p2 and p3/p4 on both sides, their boards require that configuration but it's a bad thing for these Tektronix chassis.  :)

https://www.ebay.com/c/16016014996
:-+

I've used those for a number of oddball "breakout board" type shenanigans. You can parallel them for more pins/fingers quite easily by trimming ends with a Dremel and butting them together; as long as you don't reef on them they usually hold up quite well.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100746 on: September 07, 2021, 07:49:09 pm »
Ooooooh 577 curve tracer 20 miles from me. Broken. Buyer collects. Starts at £50  :scared:

But will it fit in the French POS of yours?  :P :-DD
Plenty of room  :-DD. 7603 for size:   
Oh my... but loaded down like that, mileage must go to complete shit. You'll have fuel it with horsefly farts or badger toots to keep above the minimum speed on the freeway.  :-DD

mnem
*dwagon poot!* here's a little octane boost for ya buddy...  >:D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:51:42 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100747 on: September 07, 2021, 07:51:30 pm »

Well what do you know. Just finished whatching the TV news here and they had a piece on just that ! Shortage of truck drivers in the UK  ! ;D

Interviewed a few transport companies bosses. Said they are missing an astonishing numbers of drivers in the UK, rightl now 100.000 vacancies that they can't fulfill ?!  :scared:
Said they increased salaries in a hurry by 10% to motivate people. Not quite enough to attract 100K people, but does help a bit. Interview a young 19yo lad who gave up his job in a restaurant to start driving trucks now, because of the better salary.
Bosses said they are paying to train people / new drivers, but it will take a lot of time to train 100K drivers of course !  :scared:

Said most of the 100K are indeed foreign people that left because of Brexit. Bosses are trying to get them back with better salaries, but they are prevented from doing by the British authorities that refuse to deliver VISAs for foreigners because they say truck driver is low skill job so no reason to import foreigners for that. Jobs must be taken by local / native UK residents, and nothing else.

If only the average Brexit voter was capable of passing the lorry driver test...

The shortage of HGV drivers is a chronic problem that the free movement of labour while in the EU masked to a large degree.

Historically it was a well paid and well respected job, but in recent decades the supermarkets squeezed and squeezed the transport companies, and with the availability of cheap labour from the eastern EU countries, drove (it's a pun, live with it) the wages down hugely.
Add to that the increasing influence of the likes of Amazon etc.

Now, we will have to start paying more for our food and other stuff that gets moved by truck, as the wages will have to go up to something closer to a fair rate. Since haulage companies also won't be able to dodge vehicle safety rules any more by registering in Bulgaria or wherever, that's likely to put the cost up as well. Still, fewer people killed by badly maintained trucks crushing them on motorways is worth paying a bit more for, I feel.

As for Brexit voters and HGV tests... you can do better than such cheap and lazy tropes. I voted for Brexit, and I'm pretty sure I could learn to drive an HGV without much difficulty. A friend of mine, who also voted for Brexit, is a truck driver. He's also an apprentice trained mechanical engineer/machinist, and many years ago was a bus driver, meaning he held a PCV license.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100748 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:20 pm »

By back to normal I take it that you mean pre Covid days for schools?

Yep.

Primary school -> meh fuck it.

Secondary school -> do covid test, send out a newsletter then meh fuck it.

Thats it.

Your drill is very much like mine but about double the price, you have the forward / reverse switch on the side, mine is at the bottom and your hammer / normal switch is on the top, just behind the chuck, same as mine, its a slide from one side to the other. Mine is also heavy and feels like it will take a lot of hard work in its stride.

Yep they're all much of a muchness at this range. As long as it puts curtains up and makes holes in Hammond boxes then I'm happy. If it doesn't, Amazon are getting it back  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100749 on: September 07, 2021, 07:53:52 pm »
Ooooooh 577 curve tracer 20 miles from me. Broken. Buyer collects. Starts at £50  :scared:

But will it fit in the French POS of yours?  :P :-DD
Plenty of room  :-DD. 7603 for size:   
Oh my... but loaded down like that, mileage must go to complete shit. You'll have fuel it with horsefly farts or badger toots to keep above the minimum speed on the freeway.  :-DD

mnem
*dwagon poot!* here's a little octane boost for ya buddy...  >:D

:-DD 66 mpg avg. Try that on your vehicles that side of the pond. Might get to the gas station on a tank  8)

Disclaimer: realistically 50mpg the way I drive it though  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf