Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16503406 times)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100575 on: September 06, 2021, 06:13:52 pm »
Quick TE post. The TDS2012B arrived.

Works fine!

Another low usage one. Only 42 power ups!

The power cycle counter is very easy to reset. I've once played around with the (hidden) service menu and did reset it by mistake - press the button that says "reset counter" and no confirmation asked. Error log is cleared easily, too.
How to get into service mode - it's explained in one of the service manuals of this or similar models, afair it's also the same with TDS3000 series. But I can't remember right now how the entry is, I'd have to look it up again.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100577 on: September 06, 2021, 06:17:34 pm »
Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge using TEK plug-ins on a stand-alone basis.
Specifically DMM's & counter/timers such as the DC5010 or comparable?

I did some research and found:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dangermouse+industries+tm500x&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Adangermouse+industries+tm500x
However not available at this moment.
Such a combination makes sense, meter & supply.

Quaote from Github:
As a standalone debugging device, first check the service manual of the plug-in and find out what power supplies are needed. For DC voltages, use -26VDC, 26VDC, and 8VDC, this is what supplies a TM5000 mainframe. Set the current limits as low as permitted. For 25VAC, a 24VAC wall wart should be within tolerance. For 17.5VAC, two 9VAC wall warts can be connected to act as a center taped 18VAC transformer. In both cases, make sure the wall warts have the appropriate power rating(s). For TM5000 plug-ins, enable the "power good" signal by setting the J11 jumper at 1-2.
Unquote

Thanks, Frans

I did this for some 7000 scope series plugins, a simple adaptor like this one:

can do the job for simple plugins - power supply from a bunch of lab PS and signal output to some other scope.
Power supply were 5V, +/- 15V and +/-50V afair, look them up in the service manual of a typical 7000 mainframe.

OK, I've read the original text once more, you've mentioned 500 and 5000 plugins - these require several AC and DC supplies and two external transistors (heat sinked NPN / PNP, often used for internal voltage regulators). Most of the AC / DC supplies are isolated and the plugins use them in various different combinations. So one can build a simplified and specialized supply for one particular plugin, that won't work with others, or you'd have to copy the TM500 / TM5000 mainframe power supplies.
I believe it's easier to just use an TM500 / 5000 frame.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:27:41 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100578 on: September 06, 2021, 06:29:00 pm »
FOUR Metraport 3E analogue Hi-Z multimeters on Ebay.de by this guy:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/403129062694

Nice. Actually worth copying the picture here from eBay, I think.

A lot of the Gossen stuff has a very "Dieter Rams" feel to it. That example does in particular.

"Möglicherweise kein Versand nach Großbritannien:( Still, stops me throwing my money about — I suppose.
I can help out if you want.

Thanks but no. I'm going to settle for looking and going "Ooh, shiny!" this time around.

"Möglicherweise kein Versand nach Großbritannien" translates to "may not post to...." acoording to ePay. If I see that and it's something I'm interested in and the seller has more than +10 feedback, I contact them and enquire about shipping & costs. Not very useful if you only see the listing near the end & there isn't time for them to reply, the worst they can say is "no" or ignore you.

David
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:30:42 pm by factory »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #100579 on: September 06, 2021, 06:31:20 pm »

Works fine!

The power cycle counter is very easy to reset. I've once played around with the (hidden) service menu and did reset it by mistake - press the button that says "reset counter" and no confirmation asked. Error log is cleared easily, too.
How to get into service mode - it's explained in one of the service manuals of this or similar models, afair it's also the same with TDS3000 series. But I can't remember right now how the entry is, I'd have to look it up again.

Yes, that RS Pro/Siglent psu I got, the counter resets when you reflash the version. Taken with a pinch of salt...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100580 on: September 06, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »
Guys, you're slacking

I was divided on whether I should post a 4018 or not.

McBryce.

Please don't double down on that joke!

Does no one actually have these parts? the last few all look snurched from other sites. I found a random PCB earlier and may/will post pictures on the appropriate page, or if I miss the page due to work, will post it anyway.  :horse:

David

As I do a lot of vintage computer repairs, yes, I have boxes of TTL and CMOS through-pin chips, I just couldn't be bothered looking for the correct part and photographing it when I can find a clear picture of one in seconds on the interwebs.

McBryce.

Here we are, one CD4023AE IC.

Edit: oops wrong picture, should have been this one.  :-DD

David

Sometimes it's therapeutic to powder stuff like that  :-DD

But it was an interesting looking chip. I don't think I have any where pin one is marked with an actual "1" and what's the arrow all about?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100581 on: September 06, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
Worth the money ?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-dpo4104-4-channel-oszilloskop-1-ghz-4ch/1844704650-168-4283

Looks interesting, probably worth the price tag. Seen way much higher tags on these. Anyway it's well above my limit for impulse buy TEA investments ;)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #100582 on: September 06, 2021, 06:49:38 pm »
If you want to extend TM500 plug-ins for repair, you can get a pre-made extender cable for cheap. I've used then to repair many TM-500 modules. They are listed on Ebay as JAMMA extender cables, for troubleshooting video game boards, but they use the same connector. They extend most pins. The only thing is you need to cut the trace between p1/p2 and p3/p4 on both sides, their boards require that configuration but it's a bad thing for these Tektronix chassis.  :)

https://www.ebay.com/c/16016014996
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:57:34 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, factory

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100583 on: September 06, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »
If you want to extend TM500 plug-ins for repair, you can get a pre-made extender cable for cheap. I've used then to repair many TM-500 modules. They are listed on Ebay as JAMMA extender cables, for troubleshooting video game boards, but they use the same connector. They extend most pins. The only thing is you need to cut the trace between p1/p2 and p3/p4 on both sides, their boards require that configuration but it's a bad thing for these Tektronix chassis.  :)

The TM503 can be disassembled and used so the the plugin is accessible from all sides, the mighty internet said. Haven't tried yet that myself. Afair, one can remove the transformer / backplane assembly from the casing and it's still operable then.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TM503

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:03:59 pm by capt bullshot »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bitseeker, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, FransW, DH7DN

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100584 on: September 06, 2021, 07:01:15 pm »
The wastefulness of some people really irritates me, even when I'm the inadvertant beneficiary.

Went to one of our depots today to do a stock take, and the contractor who does    all   most of our CCTV had chucked a load of stuff, some new, in the bin.
New: 2x 24VAC 72VA inline PSU's, various A/V connectors and cables, as-new: 24V 96VA toroidal transformer.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, factory

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100585 on: September 06, 2021, 07:05:14 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100586 on: September 06, 2021, 07:07:39 pm »
A few ebay picks, hopefully relevant:

These are not bad, if you like quirky old LED DMMs:

Yup.   On my watch list.   Will bid if the price stays sane.
Watch out for failed membrane keypads. I've got at least one with that. Not bad meters though I used them when they were a current model.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100587 on: September 06, 2021, 07:10:05 pm »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100588 on: September 06, 2021, 07:16:35 pm »

What about this one, LA and scope in one package:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/logic-scope-tektronix-tls-216-mit-oder-ohne-probes-p6240-/1834869414-168-5604

Tempting, I've had an eye on this model some time ago. But - I remember this has limitations on the usage of the inputs as scope inputs - it's not that useful as a 16ch scope as it appears on the first glance. Cannot remember the details.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100589 on: September 06, 2021, 07:24:23 pm »

What about this one, LA and scope in one package:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/logic-scope-tektronix-tls-216-mit-oder-ohne-probes-p6240-/1834869414-168-5604

Tempting, I've had an eye on this model some time ago. But - I remember this has limitations on the usage of the inputs as scope inputs - it's not that useful as a 16ch scope as it appears on the first glance. Cannot remember the details.

All what you need to know is here:

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Khaveer

• Contributor
« Reply #100590 on: September 06, 2021, 07:27:05 pm »
And the Keithley SMU was waiting on the doorstep when I got home, too.  It’s in excellent physical condition, and was professionally packaged in expanding foam in a nice big box.

-Pat

Assuming you bought from the offer I posted you'll probably need a new fan with its rubber baby buggy bumpers. Fan filter will probably also fall apart as soon as you touch it. Were you able to test if it's fully operational? I've ordered a triax to bnc adapter for some quick and dirty experiments but it still hasn't arrived.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100591 on: September 06, 2021, 07:28:18 pm »

Works fine!

No reported issues.

Quite pleased with that for the money esp as Farnell were shifting these only a couple of years back for £898 + VAT  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
I wonder if the same thing will happen with the TDS210, the seller, so could be, time will tell.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100592 on: September 06, 2021, 07:34:05 pm »
Fingers crossed for you. The packaging wasn’t terrible. Boxed with bubble wrap but a bit looose.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100593 on: September 06, 2021, 07:34:14 pm »
Oh hell, you are too fast. Missed page 4020 during night, so this too late...

It's never too late, delete your self a place back to page 4020, if you're lucky you may even be able to get yourself to 0.1M post and 4020 photo on the right page....
Don't forget to screen capture though, before this fashion fucks the universe's time continuum backwards!
Thats cheating  :palm:, can't be arsed with all that BS.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100594 on: September 06, 2021, 07:37:24 pm »
A few ebay picks, hopefully relevant:

These are not bad, if you like quirky old LED DMMs:

Yup.   On my watch list.   Will bid if the price stays sane.
Watch out for failed membrane keypads. I've got at least one with that. Not bad meters though I used them when they were a current model.

I wonder if they are always genuine membrane failures, or if some are PEBKAC issues.

istr when I took mine apart (for scientific purposes), when I put it back together I misaligned a connector and the keyboard then failed to work. Fortunately no damage was done.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100595 on: September 06, 2021, 07:42:47 pm »

The TM503 can be disassembled and used so the the plugin is accessible from all sides, the mighty internet said. Haven't tried yet that myself. Afair, one can remove the transformer / backplane assembly from the casing and it's still operable then.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TM503

Too bad something like that wasn't also made for 7000 series plug-in's at least for ease of repair.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100596 on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:37 pm »
Ooooooh 577 curve tracer 20 miles from me. Broken. Buyer collects. Starts at £50  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100597 on: September 06, 2021, 07:50:16 pm »
Guys, you're slacking

I was divided on whether I should post a 4018 or not.

McBryce.

Please don't double down on that joke!

Does no one actually have these parts? the last few all look snurched from other sites. I found a random PCB earlier and may/will post pictures on the appropriate page, or if I miss the page due to work, will post it anyway.  :horse:

David

As I do a lot of vintage computer repairs, yes, I have boxes of TTL and CMOS through-pin chips, I just couldn't be bothered looking for the correct part and photographing it when I can find a clear picture of one in seconds on the interwebs.

McBryce.

Here we are, one CD4023AE IC.

Edit: oops wrong picture, should have been this one.  :-DD

David

Sometimes it's therapeutic to powder stuff like that  :-DD

But it was an interesting looking chip. I don't think I have any where pin one is marked with an actual "1" and what's the arrow all about?

McBryce.

The chip remains are actually from a dead 7490, part of the divider circuit from my Bradley oscilloscope calibrator, maybe I'll use the anvil outside to Wildarize the next failed part.
Yes certainly therapeutic to do this, but maybe not for my work colleagues or the cleaners, when one of the big hammers got used.  :-DD

The 4023 with the broad arrow (I only noticed after editing) is part of a new-old-stock "Range & Phase Display" board. There is what looks like a NATO part number of the back, searching for this finds no results. It as one of the items I bought from a engineering workshop that had closed down, they also bought & sold ex-mil parts.

David
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:06:25 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100598 on: September 06, 2021, 07:53:03 pm »
Ooooooh 577 curve tracer 20 miles from me. Broken. Buyer collects. Starts at £50  :scared:

But will it fit in the French POS of yours?  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100599 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:09 pm »

But will it fit in the French POS of yours?  :P :-DD

Plenty of room  :-DD. 7603 for size:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf