Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16507206 times)

Robert763 and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100525 on: September 06, 2021, 09:42:12 am »
Thanks, that was what I remembered as well and posted about as I'm reading chronological order to catch up after being out yesterday.

My process for catching up:

- start reading in chronological order
- if I'm coming to a posting which I'd like to respond --> right click on the "Quote" link and open a new tab
- reading further
- if I see a posting which has the same answer as I would give --> close the tab
- repeat, until I've reached the newest posting
- answering the remaining postings in the opened tabs

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100526 on: September 06, 2021, 09:51:01 am »
Thanks, that was what I remembered as well and posted about as I'm reading chronological order to catch up after being out yesterday.

- if I'm coming to a posting which I'd like to respond --> right click on the "Quote" link and open a new tab
- reading further
- if I see a posting which has the same answer as I would give --> close the tab

HaHa only to find that by the time you have actually reposted the tabs left, that someone has already replied  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #100527 on: September 06, 2021, 09:51:25 am »
I am not sure what's most expensive... buying all that TEA.. or feeding and paying the vet for all these cats ! :-DD

Only cat in my life is that of a neighbour and he comes only to see me to ask for food ! Nothing else !  :-//  Little Bastard ! :blah:

They're actually pretty good maintenance-wise.  They go to the vet every 2-3 years for oil changes and tire rotations (aka checkups and booster shots), but are generally pretty healthy.  They're strictly indoor cats as they are on the food chain in these parts and I'd prefer (for the most part) to keep them around as they're good company.  I could live without scooping poop, but that's the price you pay...

As for neighbor's cats, one of my previous cats (Sparky; lost her in spring of 2018)had actually been my friend's mother's next door neighbor's cat.  The neighbor also had a Doberman that wasn't fond of Sparky, so she took to hanging out on Ellen's (friend's mom's) back porch, then popping in for a bite now and then, and finally decided "I like it here, I'm staying", so she moved in and became Ellen's cat.  I took her in in 2010 when Ellen passed away (cleared it with the neighbor to be sure he was ok with it), and she spent the rest of her time with me.  Friendliest cat ever - if she was awake and someone was nearby, she was purring up a storm, and LOUD.  Still miss her.

Sparky 'helping' me on the computer:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, Neper

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100528 on: September 06, 2021, 09:56:13 am »

- reading further

HaHa only to find that by the time you have actually reposted the tabs left, that someone has already replied  :-DD

There is no such thing as the perfect process.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100529 on: September 06, 2021, 10:08:10 am »
Holy shit, this thread exploded overnight. Still trying to catch up.

Pat, I hate you.  :o

Damn, nice score on those 7000 series plug-in's.  :-+

Need more coffee.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #100530 on: September 06, 2021, 10:10:35 am »
Maybe not perfect but anytime you think your DMM has enough digits or your measurements ore 'ok' watch a Robrenz video or two  :-+ :-+

I suspect his next video the curvature of the Earth will be considered to make his parts 'flat'  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100531 on: September 06, 2021, 12:35:21 pm »
What did you guys call the resultant waveform and the math involved? It's name slipped my mind.

McDonalds by the lake.

Resultant waveform?    I thought you said restaurant waveform.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 12:37:17 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100532 on: September 06, 2021, 12:37:29 pm »

...and there are three more that aren't pictured here...   :-DD

-Pat

Silently waiting in the bushes with rifles and a spotting scope.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100533 on: September 06, 2021, 12:38:38 pm »
FOUR Metraport 3E analogue Hi-Z multimeters on Ebay.de by this guy:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/403129062694

Nice. Actually worth copying the picture here from eBay, I think.

A lot of the Gossen stuff has a very "Dieter Rams" feel to it. That example does in particular.

"Möglicherweise kein Versand nach Großbritannien:( Still, stops me throwing my money about — I suppose.
I can help out if you want.

Thanks but no. I'm going to settle for looking and going "Ooh, shiny!" this time around.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100534 on: September 06, 2021, 12:38:44 pm »
To celebrate this significant milestone - we direct our thanks (and all the blame) to the founder of this thread...

D'oh! I missed post 100K. Congrats, Bumby! You get a Jammy Git for grabbing the momentous, one-of-a-kind, priceless post number.

And now we know that 6-digit post numbers are OK. Next milestone: 1/4 million?  :o 8) ^-^

Tss tss tss !  I was the genuine 100K post !  >:D

.. but people just kept deleting old posts of theirs, so the 100K " award" actually changed hands a few times since !

Nope.
The first one who did the 100k posting was bd139. :-)

This was the first 100k posting: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3662665/#msg3662665

And this is showing the proof: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3662680/#msg3662680

:popcorn:

Vince was the genuine 100k post, which is why bd139 posted this right after Vince's post...

Damn I go to the bathroom for 5 minutes ....

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100535 on: September 06, 2021, 12:40:57 pm »
Pussy Galore !  ;D

And none of them have sent me a postcard from Fort Knox!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100536 on: September 06, 2021, 12:53:21 pm »
Well, that's def better than your other favorite tuxedo pic... :-DD

mnem
yet somehow, oddly similar and no less frightening... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100537 on: September 06, 2021, 12:56:30 pm »
At least the display doesn't use serifed fonts. |O

My theory is that there are some cheap, universally available fonts with good coverage in many Unicode points that, for Latin characters are rendered with those thin serif faces. Since this, then, is likely to be a font available on computers in all corners of the world, and is known to contain vectors for Latin code points, it gets used. 

If you look closely, it is not uncommon to see fonts like it used in "manuals" "translated" to "English", which sort of reinforces the point. (Mind you, the translators do a MUCH better job than I would manage if I was tasked with producing "Don't be an idiot" text in, say, Chinese. )

I used to have a lad, Kevin, work for me who, when he wasn't freelancing in the computer journalism world, freelanced as a professional translator. He told me that there was a rule followed by all respectable professional translators that they would only translate to their native language when doing "one way" written work like manuals or broadcast translations (An interactive person<->person translation is obviously qualitatively different, ambiguities, misunderstandings and inexactitudes can be sorted out on the spot). He was English, also speaking and writing Thai and when translating did Thai->English, and his wife was Thai and a full-time English->Thai translator. Together they made a one-stop shop for English<->Thai written translations.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck, Neper

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100538 on: September 06, 2021, 01:05:41 pm »
Several of the final large piston engine aircraft had an on-board engine analyser.  This is an oscillscope connected to the ignition system.   I've seen one or two walking though aircraft at airshows, but this is the first time I've seen one in use.  I doubt there are many left that still work.   Someone able to read the display can diagnose all sorts of engine problems both on the ground and in flight.

(They turn it on a few minutes earlier.  I'm sure it takes time to warm up)

https://youtu.be/-Xg5Uchhy4U?t=612

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, factory, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100539 on: September 06, 2021, 01:06:26 pm »
I suppose that's possible, but it'd be odd that a serifed font would have so much better coverage, especially for computer use, since sans serifed ones are legible in more sizes.

Since we're just speculating, I'll propose that it's as simple as someone liked the font and started the production run. Everyone else saw it, thought it was the thing to do, et voilà, serifs everywhere. :-DD

At least RD did find a suitable sans serif one.  :-+

If you as a gweilo could read Mandarin, and you were to look at two stylistically different Chinese fonts would you spot which was easier to read for a native Chinese reader? Probably not.

Given that the majority of valued written Mandarin is brushwork (it can be art in and of itself), I suspect that Chinese aesthetic sensibilities would tend toward a serif font as having more worth, as indicating more valued written content and when looking at the gobbledegook that is latin script would choose serif over sans-serif as more dignified, more professional looking. If I'm right, we should count ourselves lucky that they don't opt for "Brush Script" every time they need a western font.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100540 on: September 06, 2021, 01:11:25 pm »
Morning of LastDay. Wife dug out all the pans and made me bacon/eggs.

Two major hurdles remain: dismantling the baby grrl's sleigh bed and dismantling the Basketball Goal of Doom.

Sun-rotted bags of sand should be lots of fun.

mnem
it will be nice to sleep in my own bed again.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100541 on: September 06, 2021, 01:19:18 pm »
Quick TE post. The TDS2012B arrived.

Works fine!

Another low usage one. Only 42 power ups!

No reported issues.

Quite pleased with that for the money esp as Farnell were shifting these only a couple of years back for £898 + VAT  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100542 on: September 06, 2021, 01:22:10 pm »

It's probably been on all the time  >:D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100543 on: September 06, 2021, 01:22:49 pm »
Oh hell, you are too fast. Missed page 4020 during night, so this too late...

It's never too late, delete your self a place back to page 4020, if you're lucky you may even be able to get yourself to 0.1M post and 4020 photo on the right page....
Don't forget to screen capture though, before this fashion fucks the universe's time continuum backwards!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100544 on: September 06, 2021, 01:23:24 pm »

It's probably been on all the time  >:D

Probably right there but it's a selling point  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100545 on: September 06, 2021, 01:26:01 pm »
Maybe not perfect but anytime you think your DMM has enough digits or your measurements ore 'ok' watch a Robrenz video or two  :-+ :-+

I suspect his next video the curvature of the Earth will be considered to make his parts 'flat'  >:D

The one after that is "Space time curvature and the effect of milling machines on workpieces", to be followed by "Feeds and speeds: Heisenberg uncertainty considerations".

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100546 on: September 06, 2021, 01:26:42 pm »
Vince was the genuine 100k post, which is why bd139 posted this right after Vince's post...

Damn I go to the bathroom for 5 minutes ....

McBryce.

THANKS !!! 

At last justice is made, someone not trying to rewrite history but actually studying it instead  ! :-+

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #100547 on: September 06, 2021, 02:11:44 pm »

The one after that is "Space time curvature and the effect of milling machines on workpieces", to be followed by "Feeds and speeds: Heisenberg uncertainty considerations".

Follow the maths here I suspect all things are possible.

Making a Carbide precision ball then doing the maths of measurements including the compression of it and associated Tungsten Gauge blocks. Pick a quiet time and enjoy the dedication and practice of the art of precision.  :-+

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100548 on: September 06, 2021, 02:42:06 pm »
Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge using TEK plug-ins on a stand-alone basis.
Specifically DMM's & counter/timers such as the DC5010 or comparable?

I did some research and found:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dangermouse+industries+tm500x&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Adangermouse+industries+tm500x
However not available at this moment.
Such a combination makes sense, meter & supply.

Quaote from Github:
As a standalone debugging device, first check the service manual of the plug-in and find out what power supplies are needed. For DC voltages, use -26VDC, 26VDC, and 8VDC, this is what supplies a TM5000 mainframe. Set the current limits as low as permitted. For 25VAC, a 24VAC wall wart should be within tolerance. For 17.5VAC, two 9VAC wall warts can be connected to act as a center taped 18VAC transformer. In both cases, make sure the wall warts have the appropriate power rating(s). For TM5000 plug-ins, enable the "power good" signal by setting the J11 jumper at 1-2.
Unquote

Thanks, Frans
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:17:01 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #100549 on: September 06, 2021, 03:06:44 pm »
Yes, the 100,000th post did go through several changes of occupancy and when things started settling down, it was my post that was found there.  To help reduce the tendency for rewriting history and because the collective desire for bitseeker to occupy that post had become rather remote, I sought to make a celebratory statement - hence this:

To celebrate this significant milestone - we direct our thanks (and all the blame) to the founder of this thread...

!

I trust there were some who appreciated that second image...

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf