Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16507185 times)

Robert763 and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100375 on: September 05, 2021, 09:55:40 am »
No photos = didn't happen - you know the rules Pat 🤣, no TEA teasing here☕

Taking half decent pics takes time, you know...   :P

Ok, some TEAsing with photographic evidence.  Part of today's haul was a little HP 8654A 10~520 MHz Signal Generator

It needs some cleanup (getting the modulation working required some switch exercising), and the attenuator feels like it's missing the proper detents, but at first brush it appears to be functional.

And finally the power supply board.  The really good stuff is hiding inside the cast aluminum housing in the foreground. and I'm not ambitious enough at the moment to open THAT up.

It's now five AM and I should have been asleep hours ago, so I'm hitting the sack.  Tek stuff later today.   ;)

-Pat
What a haul! You should sleep well after that lot👍😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #100376 on: September 05, 2021, 10:11:21 am »
While not classic test equipment but it sort of is.....
I recently bought a Qark Shockwiz - a Bluetooth pressure sensor system that you temporarily connect to your mountain bike fork or rear shock via the air connection. You then go for a ride and it records pressure data and can make pretty good suggestions on adjustments to your fork/shock.
For those not caught by the mountain bike craze - the parameters available are, pressure, presence of spacers (tokens) to alter the non-linearity of pressure ramping with compression, and both high and low speed compression and rebound settings.
Everything gets filthy and you should service the shock - which needs a 32mm socket with no taper at the entrance - of course Fox sell one, $50 aus, so I bought a cheapo and ground it flat😁
Photos of the Wiz, the app and the bodged socket.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100377 on: September 05, 2021, 11:06:11 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #100378 on: September 05, 2021, 11:23:27 am »
That's cute. 10 to 520 MHz covers almost all the most used HAM bands. +10 to -120 dBm great power range. EXT. Modulation - check. Glowy line ON lamp - check. And the plastic levers aren't broken. Just missing the hp badge on the upper left. Be interested in any more testing you do on it.  :popcorn:

Ok, some TEAsing with photographic evidence.  Part of today's haul was a little HP 8654A 10~520 MHz Signal Generator. It needs some cleanup (getting the modulation working required some switch exercising), and the attenuator feels like it's missing the proper detents, but at first brush it appears to be functional.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100379 on: September 05, 2021, 11:53:33 am »
Would never come to that point with me. Can't stand curry. Not even the smell. Even walking by an Indian Restaurant makes me want to gag. And unfortunately some Indian folks smell of it.  :scared:

For a while I used to share a bus stop with a very pretty Indian lass who smelt of cumin (jeera), probably my favourite spice. She was lucky to escape without getting eaten.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100380 on: September 05, 2021, 11:59:08 am »
Sorry to bail on discord last night. The aforementioned member of family is ok just bruised and concussed fortunately. As always things look much worse than they are and the ability for people to communicate things accurately is poor  ::). The four legged assailant was dealt with anyway and will probably end up in Tesco lasagne by the end of the week.

Save me a haunch. I'll have the cordovan too.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100381 on: September 05, 2021, 12:02:11 pm »
Way to kill Rigol too  :-DD

I notice they kicked out a 2 channel 200MHz DS1000Z  :popcorn:
And it seems quite well priced and featured but dunno just how bug free it is yet.  :-//
Isn't that a problem with all modern day equipment when they contain so much coding in them?

I wouldn’t worry about scope software. Every time you spend money, some code runs somewhere written by an outsourcer who bought his degree for three goats, was stoned and working up to his knees in fecal matter flooded from the Ganges. And he has several orders of magnitude more clue than the guys telling him what to do. Worry about that instead :)
I am rather concerned about the repeated and incessant occurrence of goats in your product lifecycles.
And the fact that those artiodactyls do not convince me of having the proper certifications does merely aggravate this.

Have you not seen the guys at Foxconn when they bring up a new product line? They sacrifice a goat or two and have a big feast. If it works for them…  >:D

Also can’t beat some curried goat with rice and peas. Talking for which new place opened up near me called GOATS that sells goats  :popcorn:

The last time I had goat curry, I later had an toilet explosion which was the Greatest Of All Time!
All of which rather put me off such culinary delights.

Would never come to that point with me. Can't stand curry. Not even the smell. Even walking by an Indian Restaurant makes me want to gag. And unfortunately some Indian folks smell of it.  :scared:
While I occasionally like a plate of tandoori chicken & rice with a side of samosas and cucumber sauce, I'll still admit to not ever wanting to live with the smell of an indian kitchen. When we were looking for a place last time, before we got the place we're moving out of, we passed on two otherwise much nicer duplexes and one was even close to Beth's work.

Just no way in hell we were going to tolerate melee combat with that smell 24/7.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100382 on: September 05, 2021, 12:03:01 pm »

You are what you eat, more or less. To most South Asians, most Westerners smell of sour milk. Personally I think I'd rather smell of garlic or curry or anything but sour milk...
  :-DD

Here.
A "White Russian" for you.  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100383 on: September 05, 2021, 12:04:13 pm »
All y'all are gonna hate me.  Hit the mother lode for Tek 7k series plug-ins today, along with a scope, too.  Didn’t even really look, just threw cash and ran.  I’m going to have to throw more cash in next week as it didn’t click what one of those in the box was until I was heading home.  BD's new acquisition has a twin on this side of the pond.  Holy shit, what a day!  ;D

-Pat

can not speak for anyone else.......but yes.......i hate you.

ps  and oculus is not helping.  that parameter analyzer of his has me hatin' on him too.
free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100384 on: September 05, 2021, 12:26:18 pm »
While I occasionally like a plate of tandoori chicken & rice with a side of samosas and cucumber sauce, I'll still admit to not ever wanting to live with the smell of an indian kitchen. When we were looking for a place last time, before we got the place we're moving out of, we passed on two otherwise much nicer duplexes and one was even close to Beth's work.

Just no way in hell we were going to tolerate melee combat with that smell 24/7.

mnem

Ah, you don't want to even think about moving to London then. I live in a borough where there's the greatest proportion of people from the Indian subcontinent or their descendants. Ironically, that means that the density of Indian restaurants is probably the lowest in London, possibly the whole UK. You get the smell of neighbours cooking instead of restaurants cooking. Being "White British" where I live officially makes you a racial minority.

"Indians to the left me of,
Somalis to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with stew,
Yes I 'm,
Stuck in the middle with stew..."

(Apologies to the right cheek of the Humblebums)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100385 on: September 05, 2021, 12:33:43 pm »
Thought that was my side (Hounslow)  :-DD

Edit: honestly the variety of food here is amazing. I love all of it. Apart from okra which can piss off.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 12:39:21 pm by bd139 »

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100386 on: September 05, 2021, 12:40:23 pm »
I'll still admit to not ever wanting to live with the smell of an indian kitchen.

There's a curry house right behind our back yard. We don't smell any of their cooking but they are great at letting their bread burn and that smells like the whole block was on fire. Took us years to convince them to crank up their fan and blow the smoke out at roof level instead of opening their back door and let it all waft into our place.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100387 on: September 05, 2021, 01:01:40 pm »

Edit: honestly the variety of food here is amazing. I love all of it. Apart from okra which can piss off.

My sentiments exactly. That and kale.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100388 on: September 05, 2021, 01:05:17 pm »
I rather like kale!  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #100389 on: September 05, 2021, 01:09:38 pm »
Getting back into test gear....  My latest acquisition:

Anyone care to take a punt on what this is...?  I'm sure there will be a few who will know.  (Bean keep quiet)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #100390 on: September 05, 2021, 01:10:35 pm »

Still getting to it but a quick Helmet check and bearing in mind it is not spattering MIG or Stick most of the bushy bits are covered. There is more double and triple packaging than Welder in the box...

Daft Punk just called, they want their helmet back.

McBryce.
:popcorn:

Daft Welder is fairly close anyway  ;) Some preliminary scratching's made amazingly no Tungsten dipage - yet.

Already decided on the first projects layout with room for aspirational Plasma cutter expansion >:D Cheating on the drawers  eBay auction: #333835674434
Heh... My first welding cart, I cheated similarly. Built a angle frame around a yard sale 2 drawer filing cabinet.  :-DD Made baskets out of expanded steel for all the random bits and stuck all my angle clamps to the sides. It wasn't  as poopy as that booty-fab exhaust manifold, but it was pretty ugly.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100391 on: September 05, 2021, 01:14:24 pm »

Anyone care to take a punt on what this is...?  I'm sure there will be a few who will know.  (Bean keep quiet)

Aegis PAT or MFT?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100392 on: September 05, 2021, 01:16:37 pm »

Not on your page?

Serving suggestion
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100393 on: September 05, 2021, 01:18:11 pm »
That's my idea of hell that is  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #100394 on: September 05, 2021, 01:18:48 pm »

It's yellow.
Must be a Fluke.  :)

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100395 on: September 05, 2021, 01:21:44 pm »
If it were Fluke, it would have come with a free tin opener or a set of steak knives.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #100396 on: September 05, 2021, 01:22:10 pm »

It's yellow.
Must be a Fluke.  :)

I wish - but, No.

Aegis PAT or MFT?

I should have changed the filename.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #100397 on: September 05, 2021, 01:23:27 pm »
cumin (jeera), probably my favourite spice.

Mine too. The other favourites are sumac (pretty red, acid) sprinkled on top, paprika, and tamarind essence in just about anything.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #100398 on: September 05, 2021, 01:25:58 pm »
Pretty clean and came with adapter lead, earth lead, probe and clip.  Also has the manual in very good condition - only slightly deformed by being tucked under the lid.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100399 on: September 05, 2021, 01:41:41 pm »
I rather like kale!  :-DD

Pervert!

And on the subject of food, just doing my mise en place for dinner:

Note, the cutlery is only suitable for light witticisms, not proper conversation.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 01:45:28 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Neper

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf