Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16506583 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #100350 on: September 05, 2021, 01:33:10 am »
Nice HP, none of that Keysight rubbish:      

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403125279334

I think bd should give that a good home. He can use it as a example to his skeevy Tek DSOs, and he can use it to fix whatever 7xxx mainframe he gets. Win-Win!!!

mnem
you know you want it. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #100351 on: September 05, 2021, 02:30:16 am »
All y'all are gonna hate me.  Hit the mother lode for Tek 7k series plug-ins today, along with a scope, too.  Didn’t even really look, just threw cash and ran.  I’m going to have to throw more cash in next week as it didn’t click what one of those in the box was until I was heading home.  BD's new acquisition has a twin on this side of the pond.  Holy shit, what a day!  ;D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Zucca, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #100352 on: September 05, 2021, 02:34:14 am »
 :scared:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100353 on: September 05, 2021, 02:38:11 am »
And the Keithley SMU was waiting on the doorstep when I got home, too.  It’s in excellent physical condition, and was professionally packaged in expanding foam in a nice big box.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding, duckduck

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100354 on: September 05, 2021, 03:03:14 am »
Way to kill Rigol too  :-DD

I notice they kicked out a 2 channel 200MHz DS1000Z  :popcorn:
And it seems quite well priced and featured but dunno just how bug free it is yet.  :-//
Isn't that a problem with all modern day equipment when they contain so much coding in them?

I wouldn’t worry about scope software. Every time you spend money, some code runs somewhere written by an outsourcer who bought his degree for three goats, was stoned and working up to his knees in fecal matter flooded from the Ganges. And he has several orders of magnitude more clue than the guys telling him what to do. Worry about that instead :)
I am rather concerned about the repeated and incessant occurrence of goats in your product lifecycles.
And the fact that those artiodactyls do not convince me of having the proper certifications does merely aggravate this.

Have you not seen the guys at Foxconn when they bring up a new product line? They sacrifice a goat or two and have a big feast. If it works for them…  >:D

Also can’t beat some curried goat with rice and peas. Talking for which new place opened up near me called GOATS that sells goats  :popcorn:

The last time I had goat curry, I later had an toilet explosion which was the Greatest Of All Time!
All of which rather put me off such culinary delights.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100355 on: September 05, 2021, 03:14:47 am »
All y'all are gonna hate me.  Hit the mother lode for Tek 7k series plug-ins today, along with a scope, too.  Didn’t even really look, just threw cash and ran.  I’m going to have to throw more cash in next week as it didn’t click what one of those in the box was until I was heading home.  BD's new acquisition has a twin on this side of the pond.  Holy shit, what a day!  ;D

-Pat

We need details.....pronto.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100356 on: September 05, 2021, 03:19:39 am »

And it seems quite well priced and featured but dunno just how bug free it is yet.  :-//
Isn't that a problem with all modern day equipment when they contain so much coding in them?

I wouldn’t worry about scope software. Every time you spend money, some code runs somewhere written by an outsourcer who bought his degree for three goats, was stoned and working up to his knees in fecal matter flooded from the Ganges. And he has several orders of magnitude more clue than the guys telling him what to do. Worry about that instead :)
I am rather concerned about the repeated and incessant occurrence of goats in your product lifecycles.
And the fact that those artiodactyls do not convince me of having the proper certifications does merely aggravate this.

Have you not seen the guys at Foxconn when they bring up a new product line? They sacrifice a goat or two and have a big feast. If it works for them…  >:D

Also can’t beat some curried goat with rice and peas. Talking for which new place opened up near me called GOATS that sells goats  :popcorn:

The last time I had goat curry, I later had an toilet explosion which was the Greatest Of All Time!

Would never come to that point with me. Can't stand curry. Not even the smell. Even walking by an Indian Restaurant makes me want to gag. And unfortunately some Indian folks smell of it.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100357 on: September 05, 2021, 03:45:24 am »

Would never come to that point with me. Can't stand curry. Not even the smell. Even walking by an Indian Restaurant makes me want to gag. And unfortunately some Indian folks smell of it:scared:

hehe. I bought a used PacknPlay Playard for kids once. Figured it was better to buy used since we would probably not use it for really long. I realized the seller was Indian when I got there. I strong smell of curry was coming from inside their house. My wife commented to them that they were probably preparing diner (because of the smell). They answered no, they were not cooking anything :) anyway they were really nice peoples.

When I got home, I realized that the playard was also smelling curry, and a lot. I had to leave the thing outside multiple days and wash it with every products I had at hand to try to get rid of the smell.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #100358 on: September 05, 2021, 04:30:56 am »
And I brought home something that....isn't test equipment? Whaaaaa?  :-DD

A NICE vintage Hallicrafters ham HF receiver. It's very very clean, and the guy demoed it working on a random long wire antenna at his house. Still will probably want to give it a go through, but this will look great in the shack.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100359 on: September 05, 2021, 04:51:32 am »
Also I finally tracked down all the accessory bits for my 4145B. Good bit of change all told, but probably the cheapest I would be able to get any of it.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100360 on: September 05, 2021, 05:00:13 am »

A NICE vintage Hallicrafters ham HF receiver. It's very very clean, and the guy demoed it working on a random long wire antenna at his house. Still will probably want to give it a go through, but this will look great in the shack.

Nice rig.  :-+ But having just a pitch control makes it somewhat unsuitable for tuning in SSB ham stations.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100361 on: September 05, 2021, 05:03:04 am »

Nice rig.  :-+ But having just a pitch control makes it somewhat unsuitable for tuning in SSB ham stations.

Doesn't bother me too much. It's meant for AM and CW reception. I have an IC-735 I got for free. My problem is just space for antennas at this bands.  :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100362 on: September 05, 2021, 05:10:36 am »

-Pat

We need details.....pronto.  :-DD

Just buttoned up the HP 606A to make room on the table.  Too many interesting things and not enough space.  I really need to clean up the basement and set up a proper work area.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #100363 on: September 05, 2021, 07:43:21 am »
No photos = didn't happen - you know the rules Pat 🤣, no TEA teasing here☕
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100364 on: September 05, 2021, 07:46:08 am »

Still getting to it but a quick Helmet check and bearing in mind it is not spattering MIG or Stick most of the bushy bits are covered. There is more double and triple packaging than Welder in the box...

Daft Punk just called, they want their helmet back.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, shakalnokturn, beanflying, DH7DN

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100365 on: September 05, 2021, 08:54:51 am »
Progress on the 7A24 repair.

Here's both attenuator boards after cleaning/polishing and the X2, X5, X10 attenuator blocks re-installed. In this state all the leaf switches on the block side are closed and on the opposite side are open. That puts all the blocks in series which is an excellent test for good contact and continuity. One board measures 99 ohms and the other 102 ohms. I consider that within tolerance so the boards are ready for re-assembly. More later.

It's actually a little chilly in here this morning so the room heater was fired up.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, cyclin_al, syau, DH7DN

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #100366 on: September 05, 2021, 09:04:26 am »
No photos = didn't happen - you know the rules Pat 🤣, no TEA teasing here☕

Taking half decent pics takes time, you know...   :P

Ok, some TEAsing with photographic evidence.  Part of today's haul was a little HP 8654A 10~520 MHz Signal Generator

It needs some cleanup (getting the modulation working required some switch exercising), and the attenuator feels like it's missing the proper detents, but at first brush it appears to be functional.

And finally the power supply board.  The really good stuff is hiding inside the cast aluminum housing in the foreground. and I'm not ambitious enough at the moment to open THAT up.

It's now five AM and I should have been asleep hours ago, so I'm hitting the sack.  Tek stuff later today.   ;)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying, duckduck

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #100367 on: September 05, 2021, 09:09:41 am »

Still getting to it but a quick Helmet check and bearing in mind it is not spattering MIG or Stick most of the bushy bits are covered. There is more double and triple packaging than Welder in the box...

Daft Punk just called, they want their helmet back.

McBryce.

Daft Welder is fairly close anyway  ;) Some preliminary scratching's made amazingly no Tungsten dipage - yet.

Already decided on the first projects layout with room for aspirational Plasma cutter expansion >:D Cheating on the drawers  eBay auction: #333835674434
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100368 on: September 05, 2021, 09:14:50 am »

It's now five AM and I should have been asleep hours ago, so I'm hitting the sack.  Tek stuff later today.   ;)

-Pat

You better or I'll come over and steal it all while you're sleeping.  :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100369 on: September 05, 2021, 09:18:07 am »
Sorry to bail on discord last night. The aforementioned member of family is ok just bruised and concussed fortunately. As always things look much worse than they are and the ability for people to communicate things accurately is poor  ::). The four legged assailant was dealt with anyway and will probably end up in Tesco lasagne by the end of the week.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #100370 on: September 05, 2021, 09:19:01 am »

-Pat

Congratulations on your new baby  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #100371 on: September 05, 2021, 09:22:18 am »
Sorry to bail on discord last night. The aforementioned member of family is ok just bruised and concussed fortunately. As always things look much worse than they are and the ability for people to communicate things accurately is poor  ::). The four legged assailant was dealt with anyway and will probably end up in Tesco lasagne by the end of the week.

That's good news. Sounded bad yesterday. Maybe she needs to stick with dogs and cats.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #100372 on: September 05, 2021, 09:37:13 am »
Would never come to that point with me. Can't stand curry. Not even the smell. Even walking by an Indian Restaurant makes me want to gag. And unfortunately some Indian folks smell of it.  :scared:

You are what you eat, more or less. To most South Asians, most Westerners smell of sour milk. Personally I think I'd rather smell of garlic or curry or anything but sour milk...
  :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #100373 on: September 05, 2021, 09:43:26 am »
Part of today's haul was a little HP 8654A 10~520 MHz Signal Generator

Quite similar to my HP8654B that has some issues with the adjustment mechanism in that it slips/freezes in all ranges. Bit of a PITA as there is no set place when it slips but probably a new cord and lube of the pulleys would fix it.
One day......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #100374 on: September 05, 2021, 09:53:05 am »
Best use of those anyway.
Gestern noch geritten, heute schon mit Fritten ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf